Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Has this always been the case?

I've only had her for three days so I don't know. Gonna ask the breeder about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Does she meow other times too? She could be in pain if it's only while she's peeing. Otherwise, some cats just meow a lot. Mine meows constantly, even while eating.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
My cat makes some sort of vocalization for almost everything she does. I'd love to know if she does it without us around. She gives a short little "brr" every time she jumps up on something, whenever she or we come into the room, etc. This is different from the other trilling sounds she makes when she wants our attention, wants to play, etc.

Probably the most adorable thing she does is respond to sneezes with a "meow." No idea how she picked that up but it's heart melting every time.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

xie posted:

My cat makes some sort of vocalization for almost everything she does. I'd love to know if she does it without us around. She gives a short little "brr" every time she jumps up on something, whenever she or we come into the room, etc. This is different from the other trilling sounds she makes when she wants our attention, wants to play, etc.

Probably the most adorable thing she does is respond to sneezes with a "meow." No idea how she picked that up but it's heart melting every time.

I have a perpetual noise machine, too, who sometimes complains from the next room when I sneeze and he gets startled into running away. When he's locked up in my hall/foyer area (Lutherdome), I hear him warbling & trilling as he plays alone. It's especially funny when he vocalizes as he's running up or down the flight of stairs. When he hears the mail flap open he stops whatever he's doing to go see the mail carrier and violate the mail, "brr"-ing through the apartment and down the stairs.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde

Huntersoninski posted:

When I have to squirt medicine into my cats' mouths, I find it's pretty easy if I do it at mealtime. I pour them their food, then as they go to the bowl to eat, I sneak up behind them, kneel with one knee on either side of them with my feet crossed behind me (so they can't back out) and then kind of grab their head and squirt it in. They get all upset for about 2 seconds and then realize there's still a bowl of food in front of them and suddenly they can't remember why they were so mad. But then, my cats are pretty food-motivated so your mileage may vary.

Also, since it's a paw issue, they may give you shredded paper to use as cat litter (so the litter doesn't get into any paw wounds). Paper litter is so gross and also absorbs next to nothing. If you do wind up needing to use it, see if you can find a cheap litter box with one of those sifter inserts - they're really not great for actually sifting litter, but, you can dump some normal litter in the bottom of the box, place the sifter on top of the litter, then fill the remainder with the shredded paper. That way the cat's still stepping on paper but pee, which otherwise would pool up at the bottom of the box, will sink into the litter beneath the sifter and save you the trouble of trying to pour it out.

Thanks for the tips. Both of my cats are pretty food motivated too so I will give that a try. I'm already using Yesterday's News as per the vet's recommendation when he first did the biopsy. I dislike the stuff, but if it will protect Jinx from possible infections in his feet I'll deal with it. It just takes a few more air fresheners than usual and I do a full replace instead of sifting it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arriviste posted:

I have a perpetual noise machine, too, who sometimes complains from the next room when I sneeze and he gets startled into running away. When he's locked up in my hall/foyer area (Lutherdome), I hear him warbling & trilling as he plays alone. It's especially funny when he vocalizes as he's running up or down the flight of stairs. When he hears the mail flap open he stops whatever he's doing to go see the mail carrier and violate the mail, "brr"-ing through the apartment and down the stairs.

My family's cat is almost entirely silent, on the other hand. The only times I've ever heard him meow have been when we got back from a 2-week vacation and at the vet. He does purr like a motorcycle engine when you scratch his belly, though.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

xie posted:

How polite! :3:

Mine has been meowing especially loudly while I'm in the shower, so I like to open the shower door and look at her. She looks so shocked that I'm alive in there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zaftig posted:

How polite! :3:

Mine has been meowing especially loudly while I'm in the shower, so I like to open the shower door and look at her. She looks so shocked that I'm alive in there.

Mine meows when I'm in the bathroom. When I open the door she'll come in and inspect the place. Sometimes I'll let her in and then turn on the shower and she'll freak out.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Zaftig posted:

I had one of those. I used to meow back. He'd keep it up the whole time.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I named mine Rita after the bit in Animaniacs because she is very dramatic and won't shut up.

It was her birthday on Sunday! She's one year old now, and I've had her for two months.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 19, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Aww. She looks so quiet and innocent when she's asleep.

I named my latest Bruce after the lead singer of Iron Maiden because when I first got him, he would not stop screeching.

markoshark
Nov 6, 2005
Toothless cat.
Cat is missing the bulk of her teeth like, all except for her 2 front fangs, one about 1/2 way down the bottom of her jaw

Now, I have noticed that when scratching under her jaw she has been moving her head away, so I did some exploring (hold cat firmly, sweetly talk to her continually, etc etc)

Front left fang is wobbly as hell
Bottom right tooth is as wobbly as hell

Probably causing her pain, so.

How well do kitties manage without any teeth?
As I'm going to have to get those 2 removed, i'll probably get the last fang out as well because it will probably get loose as well.

Currently feeding her dry food primarily, some wet food, she has no problems eating, and goes through a lot of water

What do I need to be aware of?
Cat is kept inside at nights
Seems to not wander all that much (I know that can be a massive fallacy)

Note: Live in NZ, so no bobcats / horrible predators etc

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'd recommend swapping her to wet food, like pate, as soon as possible (before the teeth are removed, even). Poor kitty teeth. I guess a toothless cat is less of a danger to NZ birds. :v:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
So, my drinking "fountain" (spring, more like), and its filter. I've remembered that I haven't cleaned this week, and I feel uneasy about it because when I look at the filter I don't see any dirt, and when I washed it the only thing that came out was the charcoal. Am I supposed to be able to tell when it's dirty and when it's clean? And also, I've already mentioned in this thread that I fill the fountain already from under a filter, and that's adding to the confusion of how often I should clean and change it (if at all?).

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Many cats can still eat dry food after having their teeth removed. Neither of mine chew anything anyways.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Welp. We found a worm in our kitten's butt. She'd supposedly been dewormed by the humane society once, and we were supposed to do it again which we did, but I think the flea infestation (eradicated as of about 3 weeks ago when the final flea was found for the first time in a week, and we're still treating the cats with the heartworm/flea drops and combing them for fleas regularly) probably kept the cycle going.

With actual worms in one of my cats, I suppose I have to de-worm all three now, right? And how many times? Is it a vet procedure or an over the counter procedure? There was a white worm wriggling around in the cat's bum which we wiped off :smith:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So uh, I have an overweight cat named Molly, and I'm trying to figure out ways to get her to lose weight. She's 3 1/2, all indoor, and about 15 lbs. She has a sibling, a younger bro named Raiden.

I bought the natural balance reduced calorie formula to start feeding them last month. She hasn't lost any weight yet, but I know part of it is that when she gets bored, she starts crying for food. I would like to try to play with her more to tire her out, but very little toys interest her. The only toy she seems to have some interest in is fake mice, and it takes me a lot of prodding to get her interested. Laser pointers, feather tails on a string, and other toys give her little to no interest (she might bat at them when they're close to her, but she certainly won't chase them). Raiden on the other hand, will chase any toy. He almost interferes too much when I'm trying to play with Molly.

She really likes to start biting / scratching stuff at the night to wake me up to go do things for her (either feed her or bug her). Sadly, I've established a bad habit of waking up for her, and if I don't wake it up, she will start to scratch my carpet until I move. Ugh. And now I can't fall asleep.

So here's my predicament: I have a somewhat bored cat but is too hipster to play with mainstream toys, and as a result, she eats as an outlet. I'm starting to limit her food as much as possible (it's hard to feed the cats separately since Raiden never eats right as I feed them - I rarely see him eat so I assume he eats while I'm at work, but he's a normal 11-12 lbs and a very active cat so I'm not concerned). Any tips here? Is there any way to get a cat interested in toys that aren't fake mice? I've also read that it's a good idea to feed them wet food since that has more protein, and maybe that will satisfy her appetite.

Here's a photo of them, Molly is all black, and Raiden is the hitlercat:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I've had good luck managing weight using canned food... Until recently, when we figured out that the formerly very fat cat has hyperthyroidism. That said, our older cat lost some tubbiness she'd gotten from free feeding. She has gained more energy to play and run around as a result. You might find this happens with your chubby gal, too. Changing their habits (and untraining yourself!) takes longer and really just comes down to toughing out the yowling and clawing for a couple weeks. Cats hate change.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
How much room does a cat (well, pair of cats) need?

I've been in the army the past decade, so it's only now that I'll be settling around Colorado that pets will even be an option since deployments are less likely instead of a certainty. The apartments I'll be moving into allow cats and dogs but they are designed with Single Soldiers in mind.

The cats I grew up with were generally outdoorsy, spending more time inside as they get older but this was in a quiet neighborhood in the suburbs-having cats in a small apartment with people all over outside is going to be another thing entirely. Are they going to get cabin fever?

I'm hoping to rescue a bonded pair/littermates. I had little luck with rescued cats compared to cats I raised from kittens, but it's probably the best way to go when I commit.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Definitely depends on the cat but 2 of us live in 400sq feet with the cat and another cat of similar size would fit just fine, if not all on our tiny couch. A friend of mine has 2 super happy bonded cats in a much smaller NYC place.

You have to get creative with your space and will have to go vertical, give the cats a path to walk around the place without having to use the floor. That sort of thing. A good window, some good vertical spaces/trees/shelves/perches, and good toys/love and they'll do fine.

For 2 cats the litter boxes are probably the biggest concern. You should have at least 2, preferably 3. You can sort of cheat this with a bonded pair, but it should be your 1st thought if there are any litter usage issues & you have to be double diligent in cleaning.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm going to be putting down my guy tomorrow due to heart failure. I'd prefer to have the body burred, but not at my rental property. Is there a method to ship dead cats like there is to ship coffins?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Had our latest cat bro cremated individually after we had to put him down. He came back very nicely boxed up with a plaque, we keep a little memorial thing in the corner of the house but could just as easily have buried it. I don't know if you've considered that or are against it but if not it would probably be much easier to ship back home.

Sorry for your cat loss by the way. :smith:

Edit: Fixed image now that I'm not phoneposting.

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 20, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

supermikhail posted:

So, my drinking "fountain" (spring, more like), and its filter. I've remembered that I haven't cleaned this week, and I feel uneasy about it because when I look at the filter I don't see any dirt, and when I washed it the only thing that came out was the charcoal. Am I supposed to be able to tell when it's dirty and when it's clean? And also, I've already mentioned in this thread that I fill the fountain already from under a filter, and that's adding to the confusion of how often I should clean and change it (if at all?).

The filter is to keep stuff like cat hair and dust and whatever else falls in the fountain from clogging up the motor. The carbon removes some chemicals but I've never really considered it necessary. Just wash and squeeze it out. If it starts getting goopy wash up the whole fountain with detergent and let dry before using again.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
My boy cat has recently become really annoying about seeing the bottom of his food dish. Both our cats get fed twice a day when I wake up and a few hours before I go to bed. They get fed dry food and normally don't finish off the bowl in one sitting, so it gets left for them to free feed until night time when they get topped off again. Each of the cats gets 1/4 cup twice a day. Anyone have recommendations for bowls that never have an empty bottom?

Info from OP
-Age 3
-Sex Male
-How long have you had your cat? Rescued him and his sister from a farm I interned on
-Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
-What food do you use? The best quality I can find whenever I am out, I try not to change brands/flavors too often
-When was your last vet visit? A little over a year ago
-Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors
-How many pets in your household? 2 cats
-How many litter boxes do you have? 1

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
What do you mean by "annoying"?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
If they don't finish it all in one sitting have you tried free feeding? If they can self manage it might be an option. One of our cats is Very Emotional about the bottom of his bowl and we deal with this by filling it to the brim and shaking it every now and then so the bottom is obscured.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yeah my cat won't eat from a mostly empty bowl either. This cat also leaves bugs and lizards half eaten. I wonder if it's some instinctual thing like lions hiding killed prey in trees for later.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If people have cats who hate their carrier/vet, the at home euth service is amazing if you can. I was able to send him off purring happy as can be given his health.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My sisters cat (who was also my cat for a many years before we all left home) has lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Is he pretty much walking dead at this point? At least 15+ years old(was a shelter cat I'm not sure of exact age)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

cheesetriangles posted:

My sisters cat (who was also my cat for a many years before we all left home) has lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Is he pretty much walking dead at this point? At least 15+ years old(was a shelter cat I'm not sure of exact age)

AFAIK this is a complication that the cat probably has by now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_hepatic_lipidosis but it was probably vet time a while ago. Did you go? What did they say?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No idea I haven't seen the cat in over a year because I don't live nearby anymore. I only heard about the cat losing weight second hand. He lives with my sister and her husband these days.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Has anyone had success switching cat food brands after years of the same one? I did a switch from Purina to Solid Gold when I got Lola (now about 8/9 years old) when she was around 3, and she took to it well -- probably because it was better tasting. She's getting on in years and she's getting overweight, so I went and found some decent quality "senior" formula dry food. She's always only been on dry, and my idea was to switch her over completely to the new dry and then introduce wet to further help her lose weight and just have her at a mix of the two.

The problem is, she hates it. I'm not too surprised, she's eaten the same food for almost a decade, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep mixing in food she hates if she's NEVER going to like it. I don't know if there's a point where they just go "I give up, I'll eat this without putting up a fight" or if I have to try another brand. It seems she'll eat it when she gets hungry, but I don't want her to go more than a day without eating the right amount, which so far we seem to be in the clear for. I only bought a small bag of the new food so I'm not out a whole lot, just wondering if after a few weeks I should give up.

I'm still only putting in around 25/30% of the new food in with her old food. I fed her at 8am this morning before I went to work, and when I got home at 4 her food wasn't touched. I gave in and put more of her old food on top just so she'd eat something.

Picture tax.

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mondlicht posted:

Has anyone had success switching cat food brands after years of the same one? I did a switch from Purina to Solid Gold when I got Lola (now about 8/9 years old) when she was around 3, and she took to it well -- probably because it was better tasting. She's getting on in years and she's getting overweight, so I went and found some decent quality "senior" formula dry food. She's always only been on dry, and my idea was to switch her over completely to the new dry and then introduce wet to further help her lose weight and just have her at a mix of the two.

The problem is, she hates it. I'm not too surprised, she's eaten the same food for almost a decade, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep mixing in food she hates if she's NEVER going to like it. I don't know if there's a point where they just go "I give up, I'll eat this without putting up a fight" or if I have to try another brand. It seems she'll eat it when she gets hungry, but I don't want her to go more than a day without eating the right amount, which so far we seem to be in the clear for. I only bought a small bag of the new food so I'm not out a whole lot, just wondering if after a few weeks I should give up.

I'm still only putting in around 25/30% of the new food in with her old food. I fed her at 8am this morning before I went to work, and when I got home at 4 her food wasn't touched. I gave in and put more of her old food on top just so she'd eat something.

Picture tax.

If she's not going to cooperate you could just give her less food?

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
One of the answers I am sure to receive is stop being so loving ugly. I am trying.

I have a cat that I just picked up from outside my house a year ago. She was a kitten then and is very lovable. The problem is that she has a huge problem with my face. She reacts violently to it. I can wrestle around with her and she is fine and she can sleep next to me or on top of me or in my lap. Whenever my face is too close to her she slaps me and/or runs away. This happens when I bring it too close or even when she accidentally jumps up on the bed and ends up right next to my face. She seems horrified by it. I thought she would eventually get used to it but it still happens. When she goes into heat it happens much less. At least she keeps the claws in when she does so. Could she have been bitten when she was a stray? Will she get over this or is this going to be one of her weird cat quirks forever?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Spay your cat.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
You're like twenty times the size of your cat and they can't see for poo poo, especially up close. Don't take it personally that your cat is afraid of the amorphous lump of goo they interpret your face as. Some cats get really wigged out by faces. Getting a prescription might help or seeing a behaviorist but if she doesn't seem to be miserable and isn't hurting you it might just be easier to learn to live with it.

Also,

MrKatharsis posted:

Spay your cat.

I wouldn't be surprised if this helped the behavior, hormonal animals do weird poo poo.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 21, 2015

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
My cat is an rear end in a top hat pees and poops all over the house every time I clean her litter box, but only for a few days. This has been going on for a few months now and I've never had a problem in the 4-5 years I've had her. I changed litter brand a few months before this started happening so I never really thought this could've been the problem, but I can't see what else it could be. She was never picky about brands/types of litter before. I also tried to leave soiled litter behind when I change it but it doesn't really help.

What makes it not okay to go for a few days but then everything returns to normal? Could the new litter smell so strong she doesn't like it until the smell dies down, or something?

I recently bought litter I know she was fine with before, but I'm afraid to change it now as she just started being clean again after a litter change. I'll probably wait until I have to clean it again before returning to the old brand.

It sounds like I have it all figured out but I want to know if I'm missing something? Is there anything I could do to help the transition? A friend mentioned hormones of some kind that would help? I have no idea what she meant.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

internet inc posted:

My cat is an rear end in a top hat pees and poops all over the house every time I clean her litter box, but only for a few days. This has been going on for a few months now and I've never had a problem in the 4-5 years I've had her. I changed litter brand a few months before this started happening so I never really thought this could've been the problem, but I can't see what else it could be. She was never picky about brands/types of litter before. I also tried to leave soiled litter behind when I change it but it doesn't really help.

What makes it not okay to go for a few days but then everything returns to normal? Could the new litter smell so strong she doesn't like it until the smell dies down, or something?

I recently bought litter I know she was fine with before, but I'm afraid to change it now as she just started being clean again after a litter change. I'll probably wait until I have to clean it again before returning to the old brand.

It sounds like I have it all figured out but I want to know if I'm missing something? Is there anything I could do to help the transition? A friend mentioned hormones of some kind that would help? I have no idea what she meant.

I've heard of cats refusing to use litterboxes if they were too dirty, but I've never heard of a cat not using a litterbox because it was too clean.

Nothing to really add, just wanted to say that your cat is weird.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lareine posted:

I've heard of cats refusing to use litterboxes if they were too dirty, but I've never heard of a cat not using a litterbox because it was too clean.

Nothing to really add, just wanted to say that your cat is weird.

Some rescues come in not knowing what a litter tray is. It's common enough that we find it's best to use sieved wood litter for unknowns at first as it retains enough urine/faeces scent to make sure the cat knows 'this is the toilet area' but the smell (hopefully) isn't too strong to trigger the 'oh poo poo, other cats' response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

internet inc posted:

Why not get an extra litter tray, fill it with old litter, have your new tray around. Also new pee/poop issues can be a medical issue, ask your vet.