Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Slickdrac posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409590909

Saw someone ask for my lightless 6 lane intersection, here you go.

Thanks for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

10% of my city's population just moved out. :stare:

I've had water and sewage running just fine, police, fire and health service coverage is solid, schools are okay, and then... 10% of the population moved out. It kinda seems tied to when I up some zoning to high-density residential and commercial from low-density, but I have no idea why that would take the city's population down that far.

When you upgrade a neighborhood to high density, it counts everyone who had been living there as moved out. New families will move in to replace them

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
I posted this over in the SC4 thread, but I didn't see anyone mention it here. Someone ported over the SimCity 4 Route Query tool to Cities: Skylines.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jonny Nox posted:

When you upgrade a neighborhood to high density, it counts everyone who had been living there as moved out. New families will move in to replace them

They haven't, though. I peaked at 9600 before zoning high-density; an in-game year later, I'm now hovering at 8400, give or take, and it hasn't bounced back at all.

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB
So my friend doesn't think i'm a very good city designer. Infact he thinks i'm hilariously bad :(

I tried to fit in a rail freight depot to an engineering district i'd made hours ago in game time. I thought it worked quite nicely??

Traffic solutions!!

WHAT loving TRAFFIC?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Jamsque posted:

Thanks for this

No problem. I just realized I didn't put it exact center of the asset designer, not sure if that makes a difference when plopping it down?

This is the grid layout I incorporated it into.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/itemedittext/?id=409596774

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ofaloaf posted:

They haven't, though. I peaked at 9600 before zoning high-density; an in-game year later, I'm now hovering at 8400, give or take, and it hasn't bounced back at all.
If everything is still peachy in your city, it might have been a boomer die off. The game can be slightly slow about filling in existing households after that.

e.
Boomers :argh:

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 17, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Where the devil are statistics? I'm dumb and haven't figured out all the controls yet.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

This goddamn map. :3:

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

^^ edit: Have that map too! Dammed the river and flooded my posh suburb. Too much fun.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I am a boring goon and I like to make villages and small towns in my city simulation games. Does building small work in City Skylines, or does the game assume you want to be a huge big-deal city all the time?

You sure can. One of my maps is like that, reminds me of transport tycoon. Towns are only as big as you let them get. Harder to unlock stuff though, if you're having to find new spaces to put little towns in all the time. Wow this thread moves fast, probably you're halfway to your own monument by now.

Also I love that something will grow if you allocate space, regardless of the real world desire to live somewhere like that. This house has been happily occupied since I put it there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ofaloaf posted:

Where the devil are statistics? I'm dumb and haven't figured out all the controls yet.
In the escape menu.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

^

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've spent nearly three days strait playing this. Slowly stalling around 80k population. No major traffic problems though, thats a first.

Map is Kaneohe bay Hawaii, shameless plug made my me.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406922113

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bet satellite TV reception is just loving awesome for those people.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
T

ExtraNoise posted:

Hey there Simosimo, this is a result of the FBX file having an improper/no UVW unwrap setup. As Noyemi mentioned, you'll want to find a way to generate UVs. And because of that, you won't be able to use repeating textures like it sounds like you have. You'll have to create maps (that look like this) where each "part" is flattened out and textured individually.

Go read up on uvw unwraps, diffuse texturing, and ambient occlusion baking. That should be a ton of material to get you started. :)

Thanks! The consensus seems to be sketchup is kinda sucky and it makes un optimised models. I've glanced at zbrush, maya and a couple of others in the past and sketch was the only one that made sense out the box to a 2D creative type like me.

I think blender is free so I'll look into it, as most folk advocate it. I have no problem learning from YouTube vids so I think I'll invest in that rather than sketchup.

As long as I can drag and morph stuff and the flat texture stuff is ok I should be golden. Christ textured cubes with an extruded face can't be that hard amirite

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I made a snack machine to go with the drinks machine. Now your citizens can coat doorknobs and walk signal buttons with cheeto dust!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Slickdrac posted:

No problem. I just realized I didn't put it exact center of the asset designer, not sure if that makes a difference when plopping it down?

This is the grid layout I incorporated it into.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/itemedittext/?id=409596774

How do you get the asset builder to expand past 64x64?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Tambaloneus posted:

Also I love that something will grow if you allocate space, regardless of the real world desire to live somewhere like that. This house has been happily occupied since I put it there.

reminds me of

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

How do natural resources work? Do I have to build farming industrial zones on my fertile land for it to work?

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Here is my beautiful industrial area with what I think is a pretty awesome road system. It is serviced by 3 train stations along the bottom, and can handle a pretty large crush of traffic. I have no mass transit between the suburbs and the industrial park, so everyone has to commute through the trucks.

My suburbs are up to about 18,000 pop, and they all have to commute by interstate to the industrial area to work.

I think I'm going to continue to grow one large suburb and one large industry, and just see how big I can get it by working and reworking the road system. I also have a downtown area, but have not been working on it much lately. I basically have been playing this game as a traffic simulator, but you have full control over how the city is laid out and what your traffic sources are. It's soothing to watch the cars run through the roads like water in a big washing machine or something. I think I'll eventually have to run another 3-lane interstate in each direction.

I tried to create an "Express Lane" for my interstate using a highway on-ramp, but I am having a lot of trouble forcing the thru-cars to use the express lane instead of the interstate. I had to make it very difficult for them to continue on past the suburbs without using the "Express Lane"..

Has anyone created a first-person mod that puts you inside a vehicle as it whips around the city?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Diviance posted:

Heaven's Hearth. 140k population and growing with no real issues. Very little industrial, two very small sections (most commercial goods are imported from trains and cargo harbors. About 7,000 people use the metro a week, 700 use bus, 400 use train, 200 use airplane and about the same use boat.

Split between three area's, with each one a test bed for variants on the "Skywalk" grids.

The largest area in the foreground there is the busiest, using the same grid a goon posted the other day.

The second area (far back) is using a variant that gives the skywalk a wavy look and makes the whole grid a bit more uniform while allowing for proper room for most of the medium and smaller service buildings. Seems to be the best for space efficiency and traffic but I need to make the third area larger to be certain.

The third area (back right) is the weirdest. It has the cleanest traffic (it is also the smallest area), but it is the least space efficient. It is a weird amalgamation of the skywalk grid and the "traffic trident" posted earlier. It functions well ingame but I can only imagine the hell it would be getting somewhere in that area in real life.

Further work must be done...

Would be up to see more. I missed the layouts you mentioned.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BigRed0427 posted:

How do natural resources work? Do I have to build farming industrial zones on my fertile land for it to work?

Farms/Forestry: they will work wherever you place them. However if you place them on fertile land they will produce more, and therefore will import less, making you more money. Farms and forestry resources are infinite, and the industry is pollution free (though rather heavy on uneducated workers).

Ore/Oil: will make a bunch of oil production buildings to suck up the resources within a small radius of the building. At which point they will make you bank, especially if you have nearby zones also zoned for oil/mining for them to take the spoils for refinement. Unfortunately resource deposits are incredibly shallow in this game so after about a year all your mines and pumpjacks will tear themselves down and refineries, smelters and machine shops will appear instead. These are still rather profitable and have lots of slots for educated workers, but are heavily polluting and they then have to import everything (which effectively doubles the amount of industrial traffic you deal with).

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Budget went from weekly revenues of $3000 to a deficit of $4000. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Going back to Zbrush to work on terrain was a much better idea. Then export the heightmap into the game and fine tune from there.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
At last, the mod we truly needed: Fudged Population count!

Ofaloaf posted:

Btw, for easier access: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408613485&searchtext=

Kyte fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 17, 2015

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Very nearly tanked an entire city and hours of work after I accidentally cut an electric line while building a highway. Had barely enough time to get out a loan to clear the sudden budget deficit and fix the problem. Always make sure your key utilities have redundancy.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

bitcoin bastard posted:

How do you get the asset builder to expand past 64x64?

It's not. If you were talking about the image in the link description, it's 4 of those grids put together. Also, the IMPORTANT NOTE I put on there was how I fixed my traffic problem for the offramp from this

to this

It seems so obvious now since all the traffic was flowing from the right side over to it's left alternate direction trunk counterpart.

Red traffic means nothing

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 17, 2015

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Enos Shenk posted:

I've also been tinkering with this. Since baseball fields seem to be wanted.

Started with the sandlot.

You gotta upload this!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

cthulhoo posted:

This goddamn map. :3:

Which map is that?

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I made another color lookup table, because I felt like Boreal maps are meant to be cold but don't feel like it. I think I may have a problem.

I also figured out an interesting trick to make near-camera appear higher contrast than far away, giving it a "fog in the distance" look.

This map is called Innsbruck Valley btw (not made by me), and it is a real bitch challenge to play due to being a tight mountain pass, but it's pretty and one of the few user maps I've found that doesn't have some kind of glaring design flaw.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 18, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

SynthOrange posted:

Going back to Zbrush to work on terrain was a much better idea. Then export the heightmap into the game and fine tune from there.

This looks like it will be a lot of fun, good luck with the rest of the work!

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198000186196

crazysim fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 18, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is that . . . seriously something SimCity 2013 did? I never played it. Why on earth would you want an inaccurate population . . .

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ofaloaf posted:

Budget went from weekly revenues of $3000 to a deficit of $4000. :(
Make sure you have a tight ship with your policies while you recover, partial residence and partial industrial/commercial employment all eat into you tax rate, while policies are flat cost per building.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

TheQat posted:

Is that . . . seriously something SimCity 2013 did? I never played it. Why on earth would you want an inaccurate population . . .

Because if they gave real numbers you'd be disappointed with your 7,000 citizen "metropolis". I don't get why you'd want to do this in Skylines, though.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

simosimo posted:

Dragonborn population : 1
Before I suggested a mod that replaces your cims with giant insects.

Now I want a mod that adds dragons. :black101:

We already have AI for birds and planes that fly like birds. It shouldn't be too hard. In fact, might as well replace planes with dragons.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
From what I'm led to believe, this game is a clearly inferior version of SC2013 because it doesn't do That One Thing I Care About, so clearly fudged population is the first step on the path to fixing it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Starting a new project.

That's about as big of a circle as I can make on a stock map.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

He's not the only Maxis dev making poo poo for this game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Slickdrac posted:

It's not. If you were talking about the image in the link description, it's 4 of those grids put together. Also, the IMPORTANT NOTE I put on there was how I fixed my traffic problem for the offramp from this

to this

It seems so obvious now since all the traffic was flowing from the right side over to it's left alternate direction trunk counterpart.

i probably missed something but I dont see the difference in road design between these two or why one is much better than the other.