Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's not a J truck, sadly.

FCs do nothing for me. They're cool and all I just have no interest in ever owning one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, ok. No more joking around. He said it was ok for me to reveal what he really bought:

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
I'm in in CO, I have spare vehicles AND parts. I can neither confirm nor deny that he may be buying my brothers jeep 4.0 and swapping it into a Mercedes.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I hope it is a Stewart and Stevenson, I've been interested in those since they started coming up surplus. I'm more used to seeing that cat engine in boats.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It may or may not be a alvis stalwart.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I heard he found one of those old ICBM carriers.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

I heard he found one of those old ICBM carriers.

I would pay to watch him launch toiletjeep off that loving thing.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I know what it is and it has potential for so much awesomeness! Ken how many vehicles do you have occupying other peoples driveways multiple states away?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Only one right now, the other blue '88 MJ. Finally got the POS red XJ home, thanks to Oz finding and dealing with the worlds least reliable uship transporter.

I think my next project after recovering this thing is going to be getting the other blue MJ home, too. Hopefully it will tow it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ken: a one man AI diaspora. He's like a couch surfer but with Jeeps.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If for some reason you head through Chicago, let us know. I think there's a few of us around here.

Same for Des Moines. Pretty sure there's at least a couple other AIgoons around Central Iowa, and there's a kick-rear end BBQ place right on I-80 that's worth stopping for.

If nothing else I can get you your daily dose of lovely rusting red XJ.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ken was talking about needing to get a motorcycle endorsement on his license, so I now know for a fact it's this:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How many times will he flip it just trying to get out of the driveway?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not available in 3x3, no deal.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Motronic posted:

Ken was talking about needing to get a motorcycle endorsement on his license, so I now know for a fact it's this:

No, no, what he needs is a Red Plymouth Reliant..

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5KTVA_2ys&t=84s

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I know what it is :yayclod:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

NO SLIDEOUT KEYBOARD NO DEAL

*turns hand powered crank on phone and car*

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

I've seen one with a jag V12 (mind blowing straight line, pants-shittingly terrifying to watch brake and corner) and a backwards one with a Honda blackbird drivetrain powering the new single rear wheel.

Hey at least the bodies don't rust?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well. It looks like there is a donor in the junkyard near where I'm picking it up, so we'll be grabbing a spare engine, transmission, and most of the front driveline (CVs, wheel bearings, knuckles) just in case. Doubt the rear driveshaft or diff will go bad. Hopefully it'll fit in the back, because it comes with a spare set of wheels and tires too.

I got Fart Pipe a plane ticket (I was gonna get myself one, and Tremek blew some frequent flier miles on me, so time to pass the favor on) so there will probably be two goons stranded on the side of the road in Nebraska if this thing breaks down, but at least we can probably swap the engine in the breakdown lane faster that way, and we'll have actual pictures instead of the UFO sighting grade photography I generally post.

This trip is gonna be fun as hell no matter what happens.

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 20, 2015

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

oh poo poo yes I'm glad someone else is going.

I'd be the first to volunteer but something about building two race cars in under 50 days or something.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Oh my god. I can't believe I'm so excited about a vehicle that someone else is buying. WHAT IS IT.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh my god. I can't believe I'm so excited about a vehicle that someone else is buying. WHAT IS IT.

Well, we know it has cargo space, and it has front CVs so it's not a solid axle truck. And it's like what 14" and chrisgt have presently. So, something japanese, and probably a wagon?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raluek posted:

Well, we know it has cargo space, and it has front CVs so it's not a solid axle truck. And it's like what 14" and chrisgt have presently. So, something japanese, and probably a wagon?

And also has a rear driveshaft and diff (so AWD) that "won't go bad" (so not an AWD Mazda :v:).

WRX?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I'm hoping it's a Lada

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fucknag posted:

And also has a rear driveshaft and diff (so AWD) that "won't go bad" (so not an AWD Mazda :v:).

WRX?

Actually, thinking about it, maybe it's a Brat. It's different enough that it would be notable that there was one in a junkyard that he had to stop for.

bobbilljim posted:

I'm hoping it's a Lada

I don't think a Niva has enough room to carry 4 extra wheels & tires along with a complete spare drivetrain.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 20, 2015

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I'm betting on WRX Wagon or Baja Turbo.

:f5:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ken, your brother sang like a canary when I asked him. I can't wait.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

Fucknag posted:

WRX?

P38 range rovers, Discovery IIs and WJ grand cherokees Limiteds (or whatever AWD ) have CV fronts with solid axles.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

P38 range rovers, Discovery IIs and WJ grand cherokees Limiteds (or whatever AWD ) have CV fronts with solid axles.

Hm alright. I've never seen that, but I guess I am only even passingly familiar with front D44s.

Still, from the quote "the front driveline (CVs, wheel bearings, knuckles)" it doesn't sound like he means CV axleshafts in a larger solid axle, or he would just grab the whole front axle.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I can neither confirm nor deny any of this.

Safety Dance posted:

Ken, your brother sang like a canary when I asked him. I can't wait.

Yeah, he didn't know it was not being posted till I drive the thing. Which is only like a day and a half away now... time has never passed so slowly.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

I guess that means we're right, then. Or at least close enough that shooting down ideas like you were before would narrow things down too much.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

Yeah, he didn't know it was not being posted till I drive the thing. Which is only like a day and a half away now... time has never passed so slowly.

I'm about three days from having an engine back in my jeep, I know the feeling.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
914?

A friend of mine bought one from a very sketchy car lot after high school...

at 26% APR.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Did you finally find a Justy? IIRC you were looking for one.

Do I win a prize if I guessed right :3:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Those are absolutely impossible to find and they're all either rotted the gently caress out or FWD/CVT :sigh:

I would drive everywhere in one of those tiny little shoeboxes.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

Well. It looks like there is a donor in the junkyard near where I'm picking it up, so we'll be grabbing a spare engine, transmission, and most of the front driveline (CVs, wheel bearings, knuckles) just in case. Doubt the rear driveshaft or diff will go bad. Hopefully it'll fit in the back, because it comes with a spare set of wheels and tires too.

I got Fart Pipe a plane ticket (I was gonna get myself one, and Tremek blew some frequent flier miles on me, so time to pass the favor on) so there will probably be two goons stranded on the side of the road in Nebraska if this thing breaks down, but at least we can probably swap the engine in the breakdown lane faster that way, and we'll have actual pictures instead of the UFO sighting grade photography I generally post.

This trip is gonna be fun as hell no matter what happens.

This is going to be the best trip ever with one of my best buds. The only thing I worry about is the exposure of the massive amounts of road food farts that whether we like it or not are going to happen. Im also bringing my cameras and my phone obviously so expect fartsnaps for those of you on my snapchat. The nice pictures will happen when we get back to the east coast sometime.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Oh man, Fart Pipe is going too? This is too perfect.

Good luck, guys!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

See you dudes tomorrow. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think you mean today :getin:

I land at 8:55, Fart Pipe at 10:30.

kastein fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 21, 2015