Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Much as it'd be funny to continue the "lol VAG", that's probably the fault of whoever messed with it last.

(Me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What happened? It strip out the aluminium when you removed the bolt to fit the polybush?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

What happened? It strip out the aluminium when you removed the bolt to fit the polybush?

The entire mount and polybush were changed some months ago, as the old one was worn. Threads didn't look great so they were Heli-coil'd. Was fine for months, then recently started knocking. Got worse and worse, one night driving into central London there was a loud clunk and it was obvious it was really bad.

No idea where the front bolt went, no trace of it. They were both definitely tight, and both Heli-coil'd. Fitted larger bolts tonight, will swapp bell housings and will Heli-coil the replacement for M12 bolts. It just seemed to tear them out, back bolt pulled the Heli-coil out completely. hosed the hole pretty good, so it was redone to M12.

Credit to the car, even with a completely disconnected mount, she still drove 2 miles home (uphill) fine!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The failure on this one is somewhere between the steering wheel and drivers seat.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Someones done some dumb poo poo to an STi motor:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

That's what one of my tranny crossmember bolts looked like when I dropped it. Luckily there was enough metal left to tap (after driving all over town to find an M12x1.25 tap and fresh bolts on a weekend) but I'll continue to poo poo my pants every time I hear a loud BANG from the underside of the car from now on. Probably should've helicoiled it uuugh.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 16, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, standard allen/hex is Satan's own wrenching configuration for anything that actually needs to be tightened up.

I don't think the XZN triple-square is significantly better than Torx, and I'd say 12pt bi-hex external would be a more logical choice, but I've not had a problem with them up until now.

I'm alright with larger size allen stuff (like 12mm or so and larger...) where it's bathed in oil and will never see water, dirt, or salt, like say for machine shop tooling.

Small stuff that approximates a round hole anyways or it's gonna get dirty/rusty? gently caress right off and use anything else!

XZN is alright, I'm fine with Torx if they aren't horribly rotten, and 12pts are pretty alright too. I've only ever had one issue with a 12pt and it was a reduced head (most 12s are...) 13mm 12pt on an M12 fastener that had seen 20 years of salt. So I dremeled the rust off, slapped a 5/8 hex nut over it, welded the nut to the flange of the bolt head, welded the remainder of the head to the inside of the nut, and popped the bolt right out.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's what one of my tranny crossmember bolts looked like when I dropped it. Luckily there was enough metal left to tap (after driving all over town to find an M12x1.25 tap and fresh bolts on a weekend) but I'll continue to poo poo my pants every time I hear a loud BANG from the underside of the car from now on. Probably should've helicoiled it uuugh.

I've had plenty of bolts pull their threads out, especially in aluminium. But i think this is the first time i've seen one pull its threads out and its Heli-coil.

I have two odd threads because one hole was ok to just tap larger, and one needed Heli-coiling larger, so both M12, one 1.5 and 1.25 i think. gently caress knows, it only needs to last tomorrow, then i can swap boxes and parts to keep the LSD but replace the bellhousing.

Dashcam caught the bang as my van spring snapped! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDUDPG0DPCo

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
:aaa::haw:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

I've only ever had one issue with a 12pt and it was a reduced head (most 12s are...) 13mm 12pt on an M12 fastener that had seen 20 years of salt. So I dremeled the rust off, slapped a 5/8 hex nut over it, welded the nut to the flange of the bolt head, welded the remainder of the head to the inside of the nut, and popped the bolt right out.
XJ hub retaining bolt. I keep a 1/2" 12 point 13mm socket in the jeep just for that goddamn bolt. Mine are all well-anti seized by this point, but the first time?

gently caress that.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I finally got around to finishing pulling the head off my 855T's engine. For those that don't know, it burned a valve in the #1 cylinder a month into ownership, and then I treated it mercilessly for a year afterwards. I take full credit for wiping the cam bearings due to getting lax on checking the oil, but the damage I took pictures of today is mostly all PO caused.

Note the carbon buildup on the valves. Some had even thicker deposits than these. I suspect that none of the POs ever really got down on this car, and certainly never did the all important PCV system refresh.

This is the #4 cylinder IIRC. Some of them looked like this while others were almost completely devoid of any crosshatching. All of them had a fairly decent ridge around the top of the bore, as well as signs of piston slap.

#3 cylinder

:v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Krakkles posted:

XJ hub retaining bolt. I keep a 1/2" 12 point 13mm socket in the jeep just for that goddamn bolt. Mine are all well-anti seized by this point, but the first time?

gently caress that.

Yup, the very same.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

Well this shouldn't be..

What the hell am I even looking at?

EightBit posted:

I've never stripped a standard twelve point (double-hex) or a torx either. For the torque rating and filth factor, a loving hex key would work with fewer issues. I'm still not sure why the drive flange bolts don't have normal heads, instead of the inverted head they do have; these things are dirt traps, we had to hammer the bit into all twelve because the grime was hardened in.

Everything on a KTM is Torx and I have yet to strip any Torx fasteners out but boy have I broken some Torx bits! Everyone knows phillips head is the best fastener type.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I don't know if you're trolling or not, but phillips head was designed to cam out over a certain torque value. They're basically guaranteed to slip and strip out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, I always wondered why a phillips head driver was a tapered point and not just a flat plus-shaped rod end.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Robertson for small screws, triple square for big bolts.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

EightBit posted:

I don't know if you're trolling or not, but phillips head was designed to cam out over a certain torque value. They're basically guaranteed to slip and strip out.

Most "Phillips" heads on Japanese cars are actually JIC fasteners that don't cam out like that.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

ChewedFood posted:

What the hell am I even looking at?

MK 4 Golf lower gearbox mount.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Savington posted:

Most "Phillips" heads on Japanese cars are actually JIC fasteners that don't cam out like that.

Most people don't know the difference and/or have the appropriate driver. Using the wrong driver usually damages the screw, leading to it being stripped. There's a marking on the head, right? Good luck being able to see that, crammed into a tiny engine bay, twenty years later.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

drat leaf spring.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 17, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aaand we return to our usual programming, VAGLOL.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Slavvy posted:

Aaand we return to our usual programming, VAGLOL.

It's basically a Sprinter. Mercedes spring :colbert:

That's my story and i'm sticking to it..

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sprinters are RWD though...

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Slavvy posted:

Sprinters are RWD though...

Yeah.. and so are Crafters, like mine..

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Well that's a bit different...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wait.....you actually got a flat from a shed?

I think you deserve some kind of award or something.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Managed to get this oil pan bolt shaved and spat out by the flywheel.

It's me. I am the PO.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

EightBit posted:

Nobody would ever legitimately claim phillips fasteners > anything ever. Sarcasm, dude!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Better than flat head, that's for drat sure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

Yeah.. and so are Crafters, like mine..

Oh. All the VW vans I've seen have been FWD, my mistake!

Content:

This is the end result of someone using Loctite on the oil filter thread of a B8 A4.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Motronic posted:

Wait.....you actually got a flat from a shed?

I think you deserve some kind of award or something.

Father did.

Well not a flat, somehow that tire is still holding pressure just fine.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Content:

This is the end result of someone using Loctite on the oil filter thread of a B8 A4.

Why would you locktite something you want to take off easily?

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
^^^^If I had to guess, maybe the old filter did not stay on.

Slavvy posted:

Content:

Clearly the filter was not manly enough. Well it looks like a MANN Filter anyway.

torpedan fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 18, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Slavvy posted:

Content:

Why. The. gently caress.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Courtesy of my Facebook feed:

I'm sure it'll hold just fine.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I don't remember if it was here or another thread, does anyone have that picture of a rusty pickup truck where the frame rail is being held together with a wooden beam attached with nails using a bunch of keys as washers?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Grave $avings posted:

Courtesy of my Facebook feed:

I'm sure it'll hold just fine.

gently caress it, it's exhaust. No shame.

... as far as I'm concerned exhaust systems are AWOL and presumed dead after you get about 500 feet from the road anyways.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Eh fair point. I guess for the northeast it ain't bad as far as exhuast's concerned.

It is on this though:

Which is slowly becoming my acquaintance's Ecto-1.

Pepperoneedy fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 18, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Grave $aving's photo reminds me of underwater photo of a shipwreck. Can just imagine a conger eel chilling out behind that exhaust pipe.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'd kill any of you for a Miller Meteor conversion Caddy.