Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
The show does address the concept of the army getting rolled. Everyone being infected means the spread of zombies is completely uncontrolled and effectively random.

Bill GI dies of whatever the gently caress, reanimates at night in the barracks...

Aka what happened in the prison with the flu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ashheap Empire posted:

Speaking of tactilol stuff. I keep waiting for someone, anyone, to mention that Alexandria's supports are on the wrong side of the loving wall. What the gently caress?

Rick mentioned it an episode or two ago. How a human could climb or wreck them easily.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

Rick mentioned it an episode or two ago. How a human could climb or wreck them easily.

wonder what the season finale will be....

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
The wall was originally intended to keep something or someone one in.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If everyone is infected I could it spreading pretty far. Lots of people have no problem getting on a plane or going to work while sick. The sick person might think they aren't that sick, it's just a cold. Suddenly they slump over in their chair and start biting people when they are trying to help the sick person.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Spacebump posted:

If everyone is infected I could it spreading pretty far. Lots of people have no problem getting on a plane or going to work while sick. The sick person might think they aren't that sick, it's just a cold. Suddenly they slump over in their chair and start biting people when they are trying to help the sick person.

especially international flights. Someone could fever+die+infect the whole plane before it even touched down.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Yeah remember that whole bath salts becoming the start zombie apocalypse thing? And all because some nutjob ate a guys face.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Local media is saying a TWD spin off prequel is gonna film in Vancouver. So you know what that means... we get to see the zombie apocalypse in Seattle.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Reverse Centaur posted:

Local media is saying a TWD spin off prequel is gonna film in Vancouver. So you know what that means... we get to see the zombie apocalypse in Seattle.

Or Eugene, Oregon.

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

Kings taste terrible at best
and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah he kinda mentioned the supports were a bad idea because they could be climbed, buts that's the least of the problems with them. What I wanted was for someone to go, "DONT YOU REALIZE YOUR TRYING TO KEEP THEM OUTSIDE AND NOT IN? WHAT THE gently caress WERE YOU IDIOTS THINKING PUTTING THE GODDAMN SUPPORTS OUTSIDE THE GATES? WHAT THE gently caress? MOTHER DICK!"

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Reverse Centaur posted:

The Walking Dead spinoff will be set in Los Angeles.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Or Eugene, Oregon.

Uhhh I guess? Apparently they may try to make it look like LA, which is the one city that Vancouver doesn't usually substitute for.

It's funny seeing all the comments about snow zombies on various sites. We don't get snow here. A friend took this photo in late February

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Dr. Abysmal posted:

One of the first things we learned about Abraham is that he loves killing zombies so it was nice to see the man with a smile on his face again, especially just moments after he was having a PTSD meltdown.

At first I took it as a PTSD meltdown, but it came on after he saw the birds getting out of dodge. I think he saw that, recognized it for what it was, knew poo poo was about to go down again and so had himself a little controlled meltdown/preparatory moment before the killening.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Remy Marathe posted:

At first I took it as a PTSD meltdown, but it came on after he saw the birds getting out of dodge. I think he saw that, recognized it for what it was, knew poo poo was about to go down again and so had himself a little controlled meltdown/preparatory moment before the killening.

oh wow, just rewatched that, I didn't notice the birds bit. You're absolutely right.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

especially international flights. Someone could fever+die+infect the whole plane before it even touched down.

Then the plane would crash en route, in the ocean; problem solved.

VendaGoat posted:

The wall was originally intended to keep something or someone one in.

:downs:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ATM Machine. :downs:

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
The show's really picked up in quality since Alexandria, but the one thing that keeps bugging me is the loving rusty corrugated metal that's supposed to be 15' by 12' slabs of solid steel apparently. Maybe they're supposed to be thicker but then you see Abraham and the construction crew collecting more tiny pieces of corrugated metal. I know the walls aren't supposed to be as indestructible as the Alexandrians think and that they don't know enough about the outside to understand why that flimsy piece of poo poo is no good against zombie herds or a concentrated human attack, but you'd hope Rick and his group would be like "uhh..wtf is this rusty tin roof for a defense bullshit?' after the governor drove through their last home with a loving tank.

I guess I just wish AMC would be bothered to give their most popular show an actual budget so they don't have to go looking for old barn roofs to build their zombie-proof walls with.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Yeah it rings a little false whenever they play up how a brilliant architect was needed to build those walls they're showing us.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I would build my wall out of doorknobs for maximum zombieproofedness

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Boner Zone posted:

The show's really picked up in quality since Alexandria, but the one thing that keeps bugging me is the loving rusty corrugated metal that's supposed to be 15' by 12' slabs of solid steel apparently. Maybe they're supposed to be thicker but then you see Abraham and the construction crew collecting more tiny pieces of corrugated metal. I know the walls aren't supposed to be as indestructible as the Alexandrians think and that they don't know enough about the outside to understand why that flimsy piece of poo poo is no good against zombie herds or a concentrated human attack, but you'd hope Rick and his group would be like "uhh..wtf is this rusty tin roof for a defense bullshit?' after the governor drove through their last home with a loving tank.

I guess I just wish AMC would be bothered to give their most popular show an actual budget so they don't have to go looking for old barn roofs to build their zombie-proof walls with.
The wall was probably meant to look like it was made out of steel deck and steel beams that would be used for the floor of a steel framed building. You see the steel framing of the building in the distance when they're at the construction site. Normally that material would be used for the floor with concrete poured over it as seen here. That old architect dude probably came up with the idea for the wall. Not bad for keeping small groups of zombies out and stopping pistol rounds, but completely useless against any organized group of attackers or a hoard of undead.

Of course they could have been that stupid and just figured they would use lovely corrugated steel.

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 17, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Its almost as if the government does a lovely job building things sometimes. :v:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Also, its almost as if they have to make do with what they can find. Can't exactly order poo poo to be delivered.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

in the comic it was some hefty concrete wall stuff. probably a lot easier for tv show production if its that corrugated poo poo though

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

So what's the bet that the end of the season shock death is Glen getting his face smashed in by Lucille?

This show improves when episodes are watched in chunks.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cactus posted:

So what's the bet that the end of the season shock death is Glen getting his face smashed in by Lucille?

I think we're still at least a season away from negan

And I think that's going to happen to Daryl not Glenn

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Ashheap Empire posted:

drunken rednecks would kill all the undead before you finished packing your bugout bag with canned beans. Just saying.

You mean exactly how Night of the Living Dead ends? As was mentioned before, the real threat is paranoia, selfishness, and carelessness among the survivors.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

GrAviTy84 posted:

Also, its almost as if they have to make do with what they can find. Can't exactly order poo poo to be delivered.

But didn't Aaron talk up these slabs of solid steel like they're capable of keeping everything out, even humans? We're clearly supposed to be somewhat impressed with this wall's construction and not see it as something they scrounged together, the budget and maybe production restraints keep it from being as impressive as it's meant to be I think. It's not really a big deal though, if that's the biggest thing bugging me about the show right now then that's a good sign it's becoming a better show.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

That would be ballsy as gently caress so I doubt they'd do that. I hope I'm wrong though, I think Daryl has run his course narratively and is pretty boring now. Your theory makes sense for them to do, which is another reason why I don't think they will.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Daryl Theory: He's going to be the one to kiss Lucille. Probably while trying to protect a batch of new recruits.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stryder posted:

You mean exactly how Night of the Living Dead ends? As was mentioned before, the real threat is paranoia, selfishness, and carelessness among the survivors.

little bit of walking dead trivia: black guy highlander was actually inspired by the end of this movie

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

Stryder posted:

Exactly, I was going to look for and post a YouTube clip of that earlier but I'm work-posting and don't have the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JezqGUOWV9w

Ashheap Empire fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 18, 2015

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

GrAviTy84 posted:

That would be amazing. If not him then it has to be one of the other "untouchable" characters. If it happens to just another latest blacklander I'll swear I'm giving up on the show and then not because I'm weak.

Spoilers, I just gave away that someone will maybe die sometime in the future depending on how close they stay to the comics.

Ashheap Empire fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 18, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Boner Zone posted:

little bit of walking dead trivia: black guy highlander was actually inspired by the end of this movie
Except in Night of the Living Dead its really well done and poignant especially in regards to the times it came out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IDNqHuHmE
The credits for it are really chilling and the funniest thing is Mr. Rogers really enjoyed it. (George Romero got his start in show business starting in Mr. Rogers Neighborhood)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

El Boot posted:

Jesus loving christ what sadistic fucker directed this episode?

Jennifer Lynch, ladies and gentlemen. I got exactly what I was expecting from her, tone wise. I liked it.

Eugene's still the best character and he proved that sometimes, zombies would rather dance than kill. We now have a solution to the plague. He had the cure all along.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Lord Twisted posted:

The show does address the concept of the army getting rolled. Everyone being infected means the spread of zombies is completely uncontrolled and effectively random.

Bill GI dies of whatever the gently caress, reanimates at night in the barracks...

Aka what happened in the prison with the flu.

Season 1 the show talks about soldiers started to abandon their posts to go be with their families. Whatever military was left was overrun. We also hadn't seen herds at that point but it was obvious from the carnage that a large number took out the CDC defense force.

The current episode was amazing. True horror vibe to it. I really wasn't expecting that. Also the Alexandria/Grimes gang thing just got really interesting. Great setup for things to come. I wasn't sure how this was going to be a good arc since I assumed we were just going to wait for a major attack on the town. I haven't read the comics past this point. I knew about this town and then I stopped reading so I get a lot of surprises now.

the walls aren't that big of an issue for me to suspend disbelief about. We have it established that the guy is an architect and we're told it's solid as hell. The governor ran over a fence with a tank. Not a wall but, yeah, most likely a speeding car could knock in one of the panels but I don't think a war ready force is roaming around in the outskirts looking for a village to conquer through force. That'd be harder to believe than anything about the wall construction.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ZombieParts posted:

Season 1 the show talks about soldiers started to abandon their posts to go be with their families. Whatever military was left was overrun. We also hadn't seen herds at that point but it was obvious from the carnage that a large number took out the CDC defense force.

The current episode was amazing. True horror vibe to it. I really wasn't expecting that. Also the Alexandria/Grimes gang thing just got really interesting. Great setup for things to come. I wasn't sure how this was going to be a good arc since I assumed we were just going to wait for a major attack on the town. I haven't read the comics past this point. I knew about this town and then I stopped reading so I get a lot of surprises now.

the walls aren't that big of an issue for me to suspend disbelief about. We have it established that the guy is an architect and we're told it's solid as hell. The governor ran over a fence with a tank. Not a wall but, yeah, most likely a speeding car could knock in one of the panels but I don't think a war ready force is roaming around in the outskirts looking for a village to conquer through force. That'd be harder to believe than anything about the wall construction.

They literally showed Noah's little village that was attacked and burned down by the "wolves" so it is not very hard to believe.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

achillesforever6 posted:

Except in Night of the Living Dead its really well done and poignant especially in regards to the times it came out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IDNqHuHmE
The credits for it are really chilling and the funniest thing is Mr. Rogers really enjoyed it. (George Romero got his start in show business starting in Mr. Rogers Neighborhood)

I don't think they were actually inspired by night of the living dead killing the black guy, at least I hope not. I've always loved that ending though, probably the most realistic and creepiest zombie fiction ever, it's all fixed by roving gangs of armed rednecks that don't bother to see if black people they're shooting are really zombies or not.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cactus posted:

Who's Lucille?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

Who's Lucille?

:allears:

This is the Best Post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

achillesforever6 posted:

one of the major things for me on the current state of zombies vs the zombies of decades past is the sound that they make. Zombies on TWD are really not that creepy to me because the sound and act more like possessed beings...they screech, growl, track with their eyes, and so forth, which in my mind means they are breathing to make sounds and not really "dead". The zombies in NotLD and Dawn/Day were more walking dead things....even if they did make sounds, it was faint groans at best, they didn't watch or track their victims.

I just personally found it to be way creepier if they were actually mindless dead things lumbering towards you. The movie The Dead kept that visual of dead things pretty well too. I know it is a minor thing to bitch about, and generally I am ok with it all, but just wanted to note how I felt watching NotLD and the creep factor it really pulled out and how these walkers are less effective for my personal tastes as far as zombies and the fear they produce.

• Locked thread