Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DrSunshine posted:

Hello, it's me again. I was the guy back a few pages looking for Javascript help in designing my webcomic site. Well now it's active -- or at least a working prototype version -- thanks to you guys and your help!

It's here: http://aricelle.com/

Just wondering if I was committing any kind of "web design 101" rookie mistakes, basically. I don't really know what's current and accepted best practices for web design, I just tried to make something simple and efficient.

This may just be a personal taste thing, but don't do the "bold text on click" thing on the buttons. Indicate active links/buttons by color changes or other non-structural styling tweaks. When you change the weight of text dynamically, it squirms around on you and can do things like make your click target change. (Worst place this happens is when someone has built a site where if you hover over a link, it highlights by making it bold, which makes the entire block of text reflow while you're trying to read it.)

E: Also that's a hecka funky slideDown/bouncy easing thing you've got happening with the menu. It works fine, I guess, but it seems awfully... dunno. Whimsical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

DrSunshine posted:

Hello, it's me again. I was the guy back a few pages looking for Javascript help in designing my webcomic site. Well now it's active -- or at least a working prototype version -- thanks to you guys and your help!

Just wondering if I was committing any kind of "web design 101" rookie mistakes, basically. I don't really know what's current and accepted best practices for web design, I just tried to make something simple and efficient.

Validate your site. It showed some rookie mistakes, like having multiple elements with the same ID, and your page not having a <title>. Also depending on who you talk to, it should be responsive.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DrSunshine posted:

The left navigation looks like something out of a default .NET web app. And the bounce effect is cheesy. I like the way Smashing Mag does their left nav (the Coding, Design, Mobile, etc. section). Simple and modern.

You have both the forward and back arrows on the right side of the comic. Convention has made my brain dislike this. Seems like the back arrow should be on the left.

What's the purpose of being able to close out of the current chapter? Clicking the X just leaves me with a blank screen.

And it seems like you need some sort of header for each chapter to remind the user where they currently are. Clicking around can become disorienting.

EDIT: Also, instead of doing things like <div id="header"> use semantic tags, it's what they're there for. <header> and <footer>, for example.

Some CSS stuff:

When you use :hover, you don't need to repeat the rules that aren't changing. For instance:

code:
#stickyBlock1{
	width:80px;
	height:80px;
	bottom: 0;
	position:fixed;
	background:#9e9e9e;
	cursor:pointer;
	border-radius: 5px;
}
#stickyBlock1:hover{
	bottom: 0px;
	background:#696969;
}
can be written like:
code:
#stickyBlock1{
	bottom: 0;
	background:#9e9e9e;
}
#stickyBlock1:hover{
	background:#696969;
}
Also, think about using classes to eliminate repeated code. For instance, you have:
code:
#arrow-right {
	width: 0; 
	height: 0; 
	border-top: 30px solid transparent;
	border-bottom: 30px solid transparent;
	border-left: 30px solid white;
	margin-left:30px;
	margin-top:10px	
}
#arrow-left {
	border-right: 30px solid white;
	margin-left:20px;
	margin-top:10px;

}
The only difference between the two is a single property, margin-left. Here's a better way to do it:
code:

.arrow{
	border-left: 30px solid white;
	margin-top:10px	
}
#arrow-right {
	margin-left:30px;
}
#arrow-left {
	margin-left:20px;
}
And then assign .arrow to both elements.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 17, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ahh I see! Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'm going to try a few things and see how it looks as it gets polished.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Is anyone familiar with whether or not it's possible to assign a Wordpress virtual subfolder URL as an Apache subdomain?

Ex: making blog.website.com point to website.com/blog

Edit: Just realized there's a WP thread. Going to X-post there. TIA

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
So I moved from shared hosting to a DigitalOcean VPS. A little annoyed because it's been 24 hours and the DNS still isn't updated for like 5% of visitors, notably my desktop PC refuses to update and I've tried all the regular options for refreshing my DNS without any luck.

Anyway, I'm using the smallest droplet size right now and it seems to be working fine. It loads quickly for me, and using a benchmarker online it's depressingly slightly slower than my shared hosting was.

How do I know when it's time to upgrade to a larger droplet size? It's biggest limiter I assume is going to be RAM usage, and it's currently using like 80-90% all the time, but I don't know if that means anything because Windows will use excess RAM it doesn't strictly need. It's just a LAMP website with maybe 5k unique visitors a day, though it's a bit image heavy.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I'm just starting to learn how to use flexboxes and media queries and such, but I'm having problems with things overlapping in Chrome when I use a flexbox. Here's a screenshot:

and here's my code (it looks fine on codepen)

http://codepen.io/mmckenna/pen/JoewOP

I need some help. Is there some way where I can use a flexbox in a navbar on a site, while having the body not be overlapped successfully?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Grump posted:

I'm just starting to learn how to use flexboxes and media queries and such, but I'm having problems with things overlapping in Chrome when I use a flexbox. Here's a screenshot:

I need some help. Is there some way where I can use a flexbox in a navbar on a site, while having the body not be overlapped successfully?

Use flexbox for the element containing both the navbar and the body/container. Something like this would work.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

So you're saying if it was a full page, basically everything (header, navbar, body, and footer) should just get put in one container with a flexbox?

e; Actually, it's not working. Still getting overlap in browsers. I dunno why Codepen is making it look good.

e2; To be precise, it's overlapping when I minimize the browser. At full size, it's fine.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 18, 2015

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Leshy posted:

I'm a bit stumped as how tell Google and Bing: do not index these images and remove the ones you already did from your image search results. Anyone have a bit more experience with this?

If you have the copyright to those images, then I guess Google is violating your copyright, therefore maybe you can DMCA them?

Googling "DMCA Google" helpfully yielded this: Removing Content From Google, and maybe also this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct....88198703,d.aWw

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

bartkusa posted:

If you have the copyright to those images, then I guess Google is violating your copyright, therefore maybe you can DMCA them?
Throwing the DMCA at Google might be a bit much and I'm not entirely certain it's applicable in this case.

It's not that there are photos in there which really need to be off of Google and Bing right now, it's more that I'd rather have them not listed there and I thought I had taken the appropriate steps to prevent that. In addition, DMCA'ing them will likely not prevent their crawlers from re-indexing those images again at some point in the future, if they managed to do so the first time. I'd prefer to find the correct technical solution.

Thanks for looking into it and finding a good suggestion, though!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Grump posted:

I notice you have float: left in there on the li elements. I'm not positive, but that may be your problem. If you're using flexbox, I would avoid floats. And if it was me, I'd set display: flex on .nav_list instead of .navbar. That way the li elements are the flex items rather than the ul.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
When using date pickers is it generally best to just let the browsers do its own thing rather than implement jquery UI's datepicker? I have jquery's datepicker working nicely on desktops but it is a major pain in the rear end on mobile devices.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

caiman posted:

I notice you have float: left in there on the li elements. I'm not positive, but that may be your problem. If you're using flexbox, I would avoid floats. And if it was me, I'd set display: flex on .nav_list instead of .navbar. That way the li elements are the flex items rather than the ul.

Nah. You need float:left or the entire list will stack instead of being horizontal. And the other suggestion didn't work either.

I'm pulling my hair out! What the actual gently caress

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Grump posted:

Nah. You need float:left or the entire list will stack instead of being horizontal. And the other suggestion didn't work either.

I don't believe that's true, maybe you are looking for flex-wrap properties?

Regardless, try this out: http://flexboxin5.com/

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Grump posted:

You can control the direction of the way your elements lay out with flexbox. So no, you don't need float: left, and it is, in fact, the source of your problems. You can find tips like this on a lot of various internet websites. Here's one such: http://www.sketchingwithcss.com/samplechapter/cheatsheet.html

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Calidus posted:

When using date pickers is it generally best to just let the browsers do its own thing rather than implement jquery UI's datepicker? I have jquery's datepicker working nicely on desktops but it is a major pain in the rear end on mobile devices.

I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but I like to use the browser's date picker, but fall back to the JQueryUI one for browsers that don't have a date picker implemented.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Lumpy posted:

You can control the direction of the way your elements lay out with flexbox. So no, you don't need float: left, and it is, in fact, the source of your problems. You can find tips like this on a lot of various internet websites. Here's one such: http://www.sketchingwithcss.com/samplechapter/cheatsheet.html

Okay. I think my problem is that they're list items instead of divs. Is it common practice to not have use divs with flexboxes?

e; Yes. I am having success. Thanks for the help. Sorry I suck at flexboxes. Really looking forward to learning how to use these things effectively.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 18, 2015

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

^^^ No, the type of element doesn't matter. All direct descendants of an element set to display:flex will behave as flex items.

Grump posted:

I'm pretty sure my suggestion will fix things. Put display:flex on the ul element instead of .navbar, and drop the float. Here: http://codepen.io/caiman/pen/ogQKPj

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 18, 2015

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Not sure if you've seen this or not, but Chris Coyier's guide is immensely helpful: https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/a-guide-to-flexbox/

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You guys ever seen a merge conflict on master with no local commits? I'm a few commits behind and I'm simply trying to do a 'git pull origin master' and it's spitting merge conflicts at me. Does this point to a corrupted git repo or something else?

I was able to resolve with 'git pull -X theirs origin master' but it ended up forcing me to make a push with this merge in it, showing work another developer had done. Really seems like something got corrupted, I've never seen this happen before.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 18, 2015

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

revmoo posted:

You guys ever seen a merge conflict on master with no local commits? I'm a few commits behind and I'm simply trying to do a 'git pull origin master' and it's spitting merge conflicts at me. Does this point to a corrupted git repo or something else?

Maybe somebody did a force push and rewrote history?

The dudes in the version control thread would probably know.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

caiman posted:

Not sure if you've seen this or not, but Chris Coyier's guide is immensely helpful: https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/a-guide-to-flexbox/

This is the best thing in the world for flexbox and I've been using it for over a year now with a lot of success.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

caiman posted:

Funny thing is, that is what I was going to link to in my post, but it was coming back a 503 error.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lumpy posted:

Funny thing is, that is what I was going to link to in my post, but it was coming back a 503 error.

The site's been having intermittent downtime today, I've noticed.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I know there are 4 billion media gallery\slider type things... but if you don't mind shelling out money is there an accepted best? It's so hard to search since there are so many...

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I want to start using JSHint. Which is better in terms of usability: the Sublime Text "JSHint Gutter" plugin, or the JSHint Grunt task?

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

caiman posted:

I want to start using JSHint. Which is better in terms of usability: the Sublime Text "JSHint Gutter" plugin, or the JSHint Grunt task?

Depends on if you want JSHint feedback as you go, or only when you run your grunt tasks. If you haven't been writing with a linter in mind, it's probably more useful to have it as you go.

I use SublimeLinter + SublimeLinter-jshint with ST3, but it requires a little setup/configuration.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

caiman posted:

This thing's pretty cool. I've been heavily relying on Chris Coyier since my first HTML/CSS class. My professor had a man-crush on him.

I also found this neat cheat sheet that helped me out a lot the past two days:

http://www.sketchingwithcss.com/samplechapter/cheatsheet.html

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So i've decided to pursue a career in Web Design recently, and have been hitting the books to learn as much as I can for the past few months now.

Been utilizing a few downloadable apps on my smartphone to cover the basics (HTML/CSS/Javascript), but didn't really start to grasp the fundamental concepts of it all till I started utilizing the TeamTreeHouse website.

It's odd; i've been busting my hump doing my best to grasp the concepts of the languages, but I don't really have much to show for it. I'm essentially just watching the videos, following the tutorials along with the workspace extension, and slowly getting through all of the units, but I don't have any websites built or examples I could showcase to a potential employer. I'm really trying to get that coveted entry level job into the field, but it seems that anything I apply for requires me to know a few other languages on top of them, like jQuery, AngularJS and Node.js

It's a bit overwhelming to be honest. These languages meld together with time, but i'm also running out of time; my window for cramming as much of this stuff in before student loan payments has passed, so a lot of my time is spent working a dead-end job while I spend any free time learning these concepts. Pretty soon i'll be owing rent to my folks starting May this year, which just adds to the madness. I've talked with a friend of mine who's been a software engineer for 15 years who knows the web design process inside-out, and told me that 90% of the time you just get thrown into the wolves den and learn as you go along.

Can someone describe to me how they were able to get their cut into the field, and how much web design knowledge did they have before cracking that glass wall? It's just been frustrating these past few months, and knowing that i'll have to pile more languages on top of the ones I barely know already doesn't help my confidence.

White Light fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 19, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Parrotine posted:

Can someone describe to me how they were able to get their cut into the field, and how much web design knowledge did they have before cracking that glass wall?

Started out as "computer guy," connections from that line of work led to people asking "hey can you build a website?" which led to temp employment for various companies via recruiters. You really do get thrown into the deep end, but as long as you're willing to learn it's not that bad. Companies are so utterly desperate for talent that they'll take anyone, and recruiters are all too happy to lie about your skills and help you cheat on interviews. Once you've gone through that cycle a few times you start building your skillset and confidence which enables you to take on more challenging jobs.

The best way to start out is to start building sites with Wordpress or something, get something up and running and then start biting off small pieces to modify and customize. Over time it will all coalesce into a broad skillset. To me the hardest part wasn't starting out, but it was the intermediate phase where I knew enough to know what I didn't know, and my employers were asking me to deliver larger and more complex applications with constantly changing requirements.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I may not be the best person to answer this, but it think I can offer some info regarding learning html/css/js:
Based on what I've heard from those in the field, knowing these 3 when looking for design jobs is a really good boost in job hunting. Knowing specific languages perfectly is less important than at least being comfortable with them and being able to show what you can do with what you do know.

One big important thing is being able to show what you've done. Working on tutorials is a good way to grasp the basics, but you want to work on some projects (either personal or with others) Once you do that, it'll also be easier to pick up things like jQuery, angular, etc. that can help to make working on projects easier.

That said, if you want to do design but you're having trouble with coding, you can also start with working on wireframes, mock ups, sketches, etc. to put in your portfolio to show that you can design. There are tons of tutorials on how to make them, and I feel like it would be more important to have in your portfolio compared to coding skills. Both are good, but if time is a factor, make design deliverables and get a junior/internship position while you keep learning coding. Knowing html/css/js is great as well, but ultimately isn't going to be how your portfolio is evaluated.

For me, learning html and CSS was how I began to better understand web design and ux, but for job applications, my portfolio has been evaluated on the content and design, not my code (thankfully).

Edit (since this is fresh on my mind): I just saw a link about design portfolios: https://medium.com/@span870/great-design-portfolios-are-great-stories-7bb2617cd7ab

Also, one way I got more comfortable with html and CSS was working with frameworks. After using Foundation, I got a better sense of how they work. Basically, move outside of tutorials and start using the tools you'd use to make a site. Learn by hitting the ground running and using google.

Also read this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571035&perpage=40

yoyomama fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 19, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
One thing I'd suggest is to make sure you have a really tight workflow. Using Git makes a lot of this stuff really easy. For example, my workflow is to start with a fresh copy of the site, make a change, test it out from a local server so all I have to do is hit f5, and then if I make a mistake I can simply 'git checkout <filename>' and go back right where I was. If the change looks good in 'git diff', it's a simple "git add <filename>; git commit -m 'did stuff'" and now you have a history that you can traverse quickly and easily. It's really important that you have a really solid workflow for making changes, testing changes, reverting changes, and saving them. I also recommend aliasing all these commands to single-key commands. For example, if I want to jump into / in my website I hit 'v', then if I want to see a simplified 'git status' I type 'q', and if I want to view a diff, I hit 'd'. These are keys that I'll hit hundreds of times in a week and the time saved seriously adds up.

This stuff actually comes before programming imho.

Additionally, make sure you can very easily and quickly spin up a development environment with a webserver, database server, etc. Being able to do this and utilize git with branching and commits will enable you to contribute in some small way immediately when you start out with a new job/team/project, regardless of how lacking your skills may be. I've taught Git to a number of extremely talented programmers, it's surprising how many people don't have down the basics, and often even the ones that do will have a super klunky workflow that will enable you to run circles around more experienced folks if you invest some time in getting yourself properly set up.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Parrotine posted:

So i've decided to pursue a career in Web Design recently, and have been hitting the books to learn as much as I can for the past few months now.

Been utilizing a few downloadable apps on my smartphone to cover the basics (HTML/CSS/Javascript), but didn't really start to grasp the fundamental concepts of it all till I started utilizing the TeamTreeHouse website.

It's odd; i've been busting my hump doing my best to grasp the concepts of the languages, but I don't really have much to show for it. I'm essentially just watching the videos, following the tutorials along with the workspace extension, and slowly getting through all of the units, but I don't have any websites built or examples I could showcase to a potential employer. I'm really trying to get that coveted entry level job into the field, but it seems that anything I apply for requires me to know a few other languages on top of them, like jQuery, AngularJS and Node.js

It's a bit overwhelming to be honest. These languages meld together with time, but i'm also running out of time; my window for cramming as much of this stuff in before student loan payments has passed, so a lot of my time is spent working a dead-end job while I spend any free time learning these concepts. Pretty soon i'll be owing rent to my folks starting May this year, which just adds to the madness. I've talked with a friend of mine who's been a software engineer for 15 years who knows the web design process inside-out, and told me that 90% of the time you just get thrown into the wolves den and learn as you go along.

Can someone describe to me how they were able to get their cut into the field, and how much web design knowledge did they have before cracking that glass wall? It's just been frustrating these past few months, and knowing that i'll have to pile more languages on top of the ones I barely know already doesn't help my confidence.

My advice: build a website. Right now. Just go download Sublime Text and start coding. You'll run into trouble, and when you do, you'll search for the answer. That's how you'll actually learn this stuff. Not only is it the best way to actually make this stuff sink in, having a portfolio of work (even if it's just a couple pieces) is the best way to help land a job.

I landed a web developer job in 2011, and at that time my html/css/js skills were embarrassingly slim. But my saving grace was a handful of decently designed websites that caught the eye of my manager. You'll learn all the tech as you go, but having a couple nice websites under your belt at the offset will get your foot in the door.

Combine that with an enthusiasm for learning and the rest will take care of itself.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So maybe one of y'all can help me with this.

I was building a wordpress plugin that would consume a Google Spreadsheet and use that information to populate some HTML in a page. Unfortunately, the existing libraries for consuming Google spreadsheets for PHP are not really working. However, the Google Drive Client PHP API library is working, it just doesn't have spreadsheet support seemingly (and as mentioned before, the [url="https://"https://github.com/asimlqt/php-google-spreadsheet-client"]other existing library that is built on top of that[/url] for Google Spreadsheets doesn't work). So is there another way to store simple data in Google Drive and consume it? I was going to have 5-6 different columns with about 40 rows in the Spreadsheet, and its nothing super complex or long, so I was hoping there's another way other than writing a CSV file or whatever.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

an skeleton posted:

I was building a wordpress plugin that would consume a Google Spreadsheet and use that information to populate some HTML in a page. Unfortunately, the existing libraries for consuming Google spreadsheets for PHP are not really working. However, the Google Drive Client PHP API library is working, it just doesn't have spreadsheet support seemingly (and as mentioned before, the [url="https://"https://github.com/asimlqt/php-google-spreadsheet-client"]other existing library that is built on top of that[/url] for Google Spreadsheets doesn't work). So is there another way to store simple data in Google Drive and consume it? I was going to have 5-6 different columns with about 40 rows in the Spreadsheet, and its nothing super complex or long, so I was hoping there's another way other than writing a CSV file or whatever.

How often does the data get updated? Can you get away with monthly/weekly updates to some CSV static file and pull the data there?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

an skeleton posted:

What is it exactly that doesn't work with the sheets library?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Thanks for the replies, it really helps flesh out the scope and perspective on the field.

Just out of curiosity, what's the average salary range? Google is giving me a bunch of answers; some start as low as 20k while others go up to 80k, which is all over the spectrum.

I know you don't do this kind of career for the pay, but it is a factor to consider. Seems the median salary for a seasoned veteran is around 60k, am I correct in this?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You absolutely can do design work for the pay (and hopefully passion), especially when we're in the golden age of product design and companies are going crazy trying to find people that are great with intuitive UX instincts. Salaries are wildly different based on market, and personally for myself I have used this guide as a measuring stick:

http://www.roberthalf.com/creativegroup/marketing-salaries

The Dave fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Parrotine posted:

Thanks for the replies, it really helps flesh out the scope and perspective on the field.

Just out of curiosity, what's the average salary range? Google is giving me a bunch of answers; some start as low as 20k while others go up to 80k, which is all over the spectrum.

I know you don't do this kind of career for the pay, but it is a factor to consider. Seems the median salary for a seasoned veteran is around 60k, am I correct in this?

From my experience, in the Kentucky market:

40k - Bare minimum. Anyone taking even an entry-level job below this is a chump and devaluing everyone else's pay
55k - Experienced developer starting off at a new company
85k - Reasonable pay for an experienced developer that's been working for a while
85k+ - You're valuable to your company and have a lot of years of experience

Around here you'll never see anything past around 100k without moving into some sort of management position. These figures are all pretty low imo compared to nationwide salaries, but we have few decent jobs and very low cost of living.