Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I think To pimp a butterfly is very good maybe not as good as Good Kid M.A.A.D city but it is still very good. This is my controversial opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think To pimp a butterfly is very good maybe not as good as Good Kid M.A.A.D city but it is still very good. This is my controversial opinion.

This is also my opinion.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

TPaB is pretty good, but I still haven't sat down to listen to it properly. The only "issue" I have with it personally is that it doesn't seem like the kind of album that I'd skip tracks on. Feels like I have to hear the entire thing every time to get the full scope of what is going on.

Aside from that it's alright.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Skeezy posted:

TPaB is pretty good, but I still haven't sat down to listen to it properly. The only "issue" I have with it personally is that it doesn't seem like the kind of album that I'd skip tracks on. Feels like I have to hear the entire thing every time to get the full scope of what is going on.

Aside from that it's alright.

To be fair, GKMC was the same way. The album has a completely different feeling when listening to it through it in one go. The difference here is that GKMC had more tracks that stood on their own. TPaB has a handful but out of context more tracks seem like filler.

I think the arc to TPaB is very good, there is a definite beginning, middle, and end to the record, and I really like the framing device of Kendrick building this poem up over the course of the album. That being said. the "payoff" of him just reciting this poem to The Ghost of Tupac was kinda a let down, and I think I would have liked the entire experience a lot more if it just ended with the poem.

e: Whether or not it was a conscious decision or not, at some point it was decided to forgo some listenability in the name of a more sound narrative and I think the album suffers for it a bit.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wonder if it would have worked better as a 2 disc album. One is the more spoken word poem stuff and the other the harder, rap bits? No idea if that's a good idea or not though, probably not.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skeezy posted:

Wonder if it would have worked better as a 2 disc album. One is the more spoken word poem stuff and the other the harder, rap bits? No idea if that's a good idea or not though, probably not.
If that'd been the case, I never would've listened to the former and probably would've enjoyed it more.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Paul Zuvella posted:

I won't lie: listening to it for the first time was rough. I liked it a lot better the 2nd time, and I am pretty sure it'll continue to grow on me. Except for that last 12 minute track. I can't listen to that.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
e: wrong thread

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 17, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New Earl album next week :getin:

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Quantum of Phallus posted:

shut up, we're busy posting our hyperbolic opinions about a polarizing album in here :v:

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

fwiw i hated this album yesterday then listened to it again while doing dumb poo poo at work this morning and really liked it soo.

first two songs/beats are still garbage though.

BitingWit
Jul 4, 2011
This is my first post in this thread, but I've been lurking here for a while because I enjoy your guys' take on different artists and find some jewels that I can't find anywhere else. Anyways, Future has been killing the game lately with his Monster and Beastmode mixtapes, and he just dropped a new fire track called March Madness prod. by Tarantino:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyrGaxBw5os

P.S. here's some obligatory recent future off his mixtapes Monster and Beastmode in case anyone has missed them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrakQ6H-ACQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cDYYvOhKwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyvEm5eJFv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjVvTod8SB0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkfHxKw6dYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjzQI2VFR-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJA_EDKd47k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNuAsb8m-mA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chRJgxkCTsk

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Jack's Flow posted:

I won't lie: listening to it for the first time was rough. I liked it a lot better the 2nd time, and I am pretty sure it'll continue to grow on me. Except for that last 12 minute track. I can't listen to that.

My prediction is this will be a lot of people's opinion in like september

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

40 lbs to freedom posted:

fwiw i hated this album yesterday then listened to it again while doing dumb poo poo at work this morning and really liked it soo.

first two songs/beats are still garbage though.

This is funny, the only songs I really enjoyed at all were the first one and the one that sounds like Pyramid Song. I guess its not for me. I respect that dude had a vision but its a big jumbled mess IMO
Musically I hate it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I had to skip This Dick Ain't Freeeeeee tho. Holy poo poo was that bad

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anaranjado posted:

I had to skip This Dick Ain't Freeeeeee tho. Holy poo poo was that bad
Yeah that one was really loving cringeworthy.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Close this thread and ban us all

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

young thug's next project is going to be called carter 6. lol

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Budget Prefuse posted:

Thought he announced that awhile ago? Only question is will his head be photoshopped on baby Wayne's body, or vice versa? Or maybe he'll go really bonkers and photoshop baby Wayne's head on Wiz Khalifa's body...

Also the Future/Waka track was boss as gently caress, and March Madness is solid. Really thought he was gonna go full R&B dude after Honest, but dude's still got some fire left so that's cool.

Earl's kinda meh to me. He's still a decent enough rapper, but he lacks the "pop" he used to have on Earl so his stuff sounds kinda dull now. It's not even that lethargic flow since he's always had that, at least somewhat and other dudes manage to pull it off, it's just like nothing's really there. I'll still check him out, but I'm not really expecting much.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Earl's kinda meh to me. He's still a decent enough rapper, but he lacks the "pop" he used to have on Earl so his stuff sounds kinda dull now. It's not even that lethargic flow since he's always had that, at least somewhat and other dudes manage to pull it off, it's just like nothing's really there. I'll still check him out, but I'm not really expecting much.

i agree and feel the same way about tyler. rappers whose main draws were being angry kids no longer being angry or kids anymore doesn't really work too well. at least tyler has production to fall back on but that latest earl track is boring and muddy. i mean the most interesting verse on his last album was from frank ocean, thats just silly

i don't think anyone in this thread talked about indicud at all when it came out but i've been listening to it a shitload and its really a pretty solid album.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I disagree and thought Doris had some good stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN4F9S7E-o8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbb1K3lGVjE
Some of my favorite verses here

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Profondo Rosso posted:

i agree and feel the same way about tyler. rappers whose main draws were being angry kids no longer being angry or kids anymore doesn't really work too well. at least tyler has production to fall back on but that latest earl track is boring and muddy. i mean the most interesting verse on his last album was from frank ocean, thats just silly

i don't think anyone in this thread talked about indicud at all when it came out but i've been listening to it a shitload and its really a pretty solid album.

I largely agree about Tyler, although I find he still has some of the aggression, and a bit more emotional depth. I remember when his last album came out I compared the tone a lot to some Smiths/Kanye combination-instead of stories of kidnapping girls he liked, he was moping about them, and he had the whole woe is me I'm so famous thing. But I thought it worked mostly, although I have no idea where he can go from there since I don't see that being something he can maintain. As you say though he's got his production to fall back on, which is really nice.

Also I didn't think Doris was horrible, but I found the features to be the best things on the album by far. Also on those tracks they seemed to prop Earl up a bit so he didn't sound so indifferent and blah.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Doris was really good IMO. Tyler, however, strikes me as an emimem ripoff lyrically.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

Budget Prefuse posted:

I think Birdman got out of a long sexual relationship with Lil Wayne (like from the late 90s until now), is bitter as gently caress and is telling Thugger what to do to get back at his ex. It's so petty for men with this much money and influence to act like this; I honestly think a breakup is the underlying story to most of this recent weird behavior from Young Money. Thug is the pretty new piece Birdman bought with his millions and ability to make a rapper famous - he's the closest thing to a young Lil Wayne out there, and his vaguely gay lines/tweets are... really gay. In the Carter documentary, they're in the studio, and Wayne's talking to his young artists (Lil Mouse?). He says something about having sex at a young age - but the quote that sticks with me is how he starts the story with: "I remember when BABY AND THEM DID ME..." before a long, reflective pause. The look in his eyes during that pause, man. Of course, if that's not enough, there's the famous picture of the two of them kissing. This is some ancient Greece man-boy love poo poo.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

No idea there was gonna be one, I've been hyped for Mr. Wonderful. These couple weeks are like Christmas :3:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

good electric posted:

I think Birdman got out of a long sexual relationship with Lil Wayne (like from the late 90s until now), is bitter as gently caress and is telling Thugger what to do to get back at his ex. It's so petty for men with this much money and influence to act like this; I honestly think a breakup is the underlying story to most of this recent weird behavior from Young Money. Thug is the pretty new piece Birdman bought with his millions and ability to make a rapper famous - he's the closest thing to a young Lil Wayne out there, and his vaguely gay lines/tweets are... really gay. In the Carter documentary, they're in the studio, and Wayne's talking to his young artists (Lil Mouse?). He says something about having sex at a young age - but the quote that sticks with me is how he starts the story with: "I remember when BABY AND THEM DID ME..." before a long, reflective pause. The look in his eyes during that pause, man. Of course, if that's not enough, there's the famous picture of the two of them kissing. This is some ancient Greece man-boy love poo poo.

To promote his show Thug said "leave the britches at home". I think he's out the closet.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

I largely agree about Tyler, although I find he still has some of the aggression, and a bit more emotional depth. I remember when his last album came out I compared the tone a lot to some Smiths/Kanye combination-instead of stories of kidnapping girls he liked, he was moping about them, and he had the whole woe is me I'm so famous thing. But I thought it worked mostly, although I have no idea where he can go from there since I don't see that being something he can maintain. As you say though he's got his production to fall back on, which is really nice.

Also I didn't think Doris was horrible, but I found the features to be the best things on the album by far. Also on those tracks they seemed to prop Earl up a bit so he didn't sound so indifferent and blah.

I gave Tyler his first shot with Yonkers and I was pretty pleased with him tbh. His rapping style and flow are aesthetically pleasing even though he is weird as gently caress and constantly breaks down the continuity of a song in order to throw in a shock lyric here and there. His aggressive delivery works for him a lot, and he really shined on some features where he should have been TREMENDOUSLY outclassed by the other artists (Martian and Trouble on My Mind were amazingly well put together and he held his own). When it comes to his own stuff there are too many OF inside jokes and self aggrandizing sometimes but its not terrible.

Earl has the opposite problem with a seriously boring delivery and a hype that is created solely from what other OF members say about him being nice. Every rap sounds like he doesn't give a gently caress, and without the Tyleresque delivery the raps are usually pretty boring. I try to give the other members of OF a chance whenever I can but they just aren't really as good as Tyler and can't get the features he can.

I'd love to see Tyler do more features....it seems like him and Lil Wayne would be a perfect combo if they could get some more work in....

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
This is the best of track, maybe it's just because of the beat though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asulKhz7n0U

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
GKMC always had its Aquemini influences bubbling under the surface but Butterfly takes that to 11 and mixes it with floaty jazz experimentation of The Love Below and a dash of Marshall Mathers lp lyricism and storytelling.

It's a great album but it just keeps reminding me of how far ahead of the game OutKast was and still is.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Rap thread has jumped the shark

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Tyler and Earl have run out of stuff to say. There is nothing wrong with disbanding and creating a new sound. I'll be proud when more hiphop acts gracefully retire and pursue other artistic endeavors.

KidVanguard posted:

GKMC always had its Aquemini influences bubbling under the surface but Butterfly takes that to 11 and mixes it with floaty jazz experimentation of The Love Below and a dash of Marshall Mathers lp lyricism and storytelling.

It's a great album but it just keeps reminding me of how far ahead of the game OutKast was and still is.
Aquemini was a perfect balance but Love Below was a mess of an album. Even Stankonia is hard to listen to, if not for the 3-4 good singles (though I'd never admit when it came out). I love Andre 3k but I think people have solved his equation. Andre 3k, Mos Def, Kool Keith, and Pharoahe Monch all paved the way for self-indulgent rappers.

edit: N.E.R.D.

temple fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 18, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apart from a George Clinton feature , I wouldn't say tpab sounds like Aquemini at all. It's way more FlyLo influenced. Also even in his darkest hour 3k wouldn't interview Tupac's hologram.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

even in his darkest hour 3k wouldn't interview Tupac's hologram.
Not only is this true it should be the new thread title

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
TPAB reminds me most of Love Below except minus Speakerboxxx to appease all the fans pissed off about the new direction.

It's about impossible to throw any of these songs i do like on a playlist because they all have spoken word/interlude/breaks mixed in or stuck at the end. Such a shame because i probably wont be listening end to end as an album errrrrr ever. Booboo.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

TenaciousTomato posted:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

BitingWit posted:

Anyways, Future

https://youtu.be/MNwQeiK1O9Y

In case you missed it this is probably my favourite song he's done since Pluto

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

http://lifeandtimes.com/dj-drama-talks-gangsta-grillz-new-album-and-lil-waynes-the-dedication-6

Good interview with DJ Drama about the current mixtape game.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 18, 2015

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

TenaciousTomato posted:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cDYYvOhKwg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
This is the best thread. I thought we'd reached peak NMD rap thread a couple weeks back when it devolved into people posting ranked lists of Kanye albums and debating whether or not Kanye was attractive, but this is even better. I can't wait until so help me god comes out.