Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Winchester House is only a failure in the sense that it was made by a crazy lady, but it's got no place in this thread. It's a work of art, an insane, confusing work of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
yeah, for real. it's insane but it's beautiful

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Sacramento, California is a pile of clashing architectural styles.

The "Ziggurat"

At night:

Here it is with its neigbor:

Here's the opposite view:

And here's the jail, right in the middle of downtown:

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Roy posted:

I think Plug is right around the corner from the image you posted. About 200m west you'll find Corp. That's your answer pretty much.

We're getting this beautiful new building though! Here it is so far:

How they're planning on keeping all those little ledges free of pigeon poo poo and other filth is anyone's guess.
And this is the building they knocked down to clear space for it:

We also have the Arts tower:

Which definitely belongs in this thread because the gap between it and the building on the left is perfectly designed to channel wind down it. This is a major access route into the university and runs under the mezzanine floor you can see in the picture. Students call it "the Arts tower wind tunnel" and if you don't have your coat tightly wrapped around you on a windy day you can actually achieve flight there. Sometimes you see the architecture students visiting it as a cautionary tale of how not to design buildings and remembering to account for existing structures.

The Arts tower does have one saving grace and that is the elevator used to get to the top of it which is a Pater Noster that can be seen in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t41344ZQEm0

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Omi-Polari posted:

Holy lmao the Egyptian junta wants to build a new capital city out in the desert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7KdtShlwqA

Yeah that'll never happen.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/03/egypt-to-build-a-potemkin-capital/387826/

The funny thing is there was a Pharaoh back in ancient time who already tried to do this after he decided people should stop worshiping gods like Amun and start worshiping the sun instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarna

The sun was called Aten, so named his son Tutankhaten, changed his own name to Akhenaten and moved the capitol city into the desert to be closer to the sun. After his death the city was abandoned, most of the records pertaining to his rule were destroyed and his son changed his name to Tutankhamun.

You know where things went from there.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Omi-Polari posted:

Holy lmao the Egyptian junta wants to build a new capital city out in the desert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7KdtShlwqA

Yeah that'll never happen.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/03/egypt-to-build-a-potemkin-capital/387826/
The street layout presented in the video is not conducive to beating down demonstrators, locking down parts of a city, or just generally protecting against revolutions. Should take some inspiration from Haussmann's renovation of Paris.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

WebDog posted:

Fonthill Abbey
What happens should you inherit a million pounds during the early 1800's? William Beckford knew. Kindle your inner romantic, and build this Gothic Revival monstrosity, pitting the long suffering James Wyatt to design it for you.

These images are not exaggerating, this place was immense. The front door was thirty feet and allegedly made to feel more imposing by hiring a dwarf footman. To keep out people a massive wall dubbed "the barrier" rose at twelve feet and had the cozy addition of iron spikes. It took sixty fires burning during summer to keep the place warm as even bedrooms were little more than icy cells. Yet Beckford entertained nobody despite serving food for twelve people around the fifty foot dining table.

In an effort to get it up in time they used an experimental "roman cement" which often crumbled to bits and even when finished the place kept making really unsettling groans. The tower collapsed six times.

James Wyatt was also pretty insane in his ways. His Gothick styles were eventually given a term to describe their resulting ambiance; 'gloomth'. For King George III's palace at Kew he produced an imposing structure dubbed "the Bastille" and was to featured a new building material for the day; cast iron.

There's a great summary of this -and many other insane British and American building projects- in Bill Brysons' book At Home, which is a very accessible, very funny book about the history of the domestic sphere, room by room, with particular reference to the eccentric, the unusual and the gibberingly crazy.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
I dunno how bad this is to all of you, but I have to walk by it every day and... ugh. not that the old one was any better either but...

The newly renovated Rhode Island College Art Center:

And that is a picture from when it was first finished a year ago. Now, the metal is already tarnished and dirty looking. It just looks like someone took a dated light brown brick building (aka every other building on campus) and slapped an ugly metal building on top of it.

Classic Comrade fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 18, 2015

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Irisi posted:

There's a great summary of this -and many other insane British and American building projects- in Bill Brysons' book At Home, which is a very accessible, very funny book about the history of the domestic sphere, room by room, with particular reference to the eccentric, the unusual and the gibberingly crazy.

This, and many other similar architectural vanity projects were known as "follies", because they were meant to be delightful to the eye and a bit silly. Some had no purpose whatsoever, like building brand new ruins to decorate your garden, or a medievalesque guard tower for a hunting lodge.

I really like follies.

The Dunmore Pineapple

Conolly's Folly

The Wonderful Barn[url]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rushton_Triangular_Lodge]Rushton Triangular Lodge

Sway Tower

And many, many other towers and castles which were criticized at the time for being pointlessly anachronistic but are now quaint and loveable.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ktb posted:

The Arts tower does have one saving grace and that is the elevator used to get to the top of it which is a Pater Noster that can be seen in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t41344ZQEm0

How does this not violate dozens of health and safety laws?

:psyduck:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy McPants posted:

The Winchester House is only a failure in the sense that it was made by a crazy lady, but it's got no place in this thread. It's a work of art, an insane, confusing work of art.

Well, it was built to appease a bunch of ghosts, so it has to be insane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Mystery_House

Stairs that go nowhere. I've had weird dreams about being in buildings like this.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That Paternoster reminds me of the elevators at the Hotel Sacher in Vienna- everything was rickety and terrifyingly visible.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Someone not phone posting might want to add the Royal Pavilion in Brighton, in all it's golden pink indo-arabic gaudiness; it's another product of the age of the above follies, and quite ... something in person.

It's not really a failure, though. It's structurally sound, and while it clashes with everything and is completely overloaded on the inside I will happily chalk it up as "art".

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Kavak posted:

That Paternoster reminds me of the elevators at the Hotel Sacher in Vienna- everything was rickety and terrifyingly visible.

Many elevators ride in open shafts in Vienna for some reason. There are some exceptionally tiny ones in some old residential buildings, too. I found one with an official capacity of 3 persons but in reality even with 2 it's crowded.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

WebDog posted:

Fonthill Abbey
What happens should you inherit a million pounds during the early 1800's? William Beckford knew. Kindle your inner romantic, and build this Gothic Revival monstrosity, pitting the long suffering James Wyatt to design it for you.

These images are not exaggerating, this place was immense. The front door was thirty feet and allegedly made to feel more imposing by hiring a dwarf footman. To keep out people a massive wall dubbed "the barrier" rose at twelve feet and had the cozy addition of iron spikes. It took sixty fires burning during summer to keep the place warm as even bedrooms were little more than icy cells. Yet Beckford entertained nobody despite serving food for twelve people around the fifty foot dining table.

In an effort to get it up in time they used an experimental "roman cement" which often crumbled to bits and even when finished the place kept making really unsettling groans. The tower collapsed six times.

James Wyatt was also pretty insane in his ways. His Gothick styles were eventually given a term to describe their resulting ambiance; 'gloomth'. For King George III's palace at Kew he produced an imposing structure dubbed "the Bastille" and was to featured a new building material for the day; cast iron.

This is awesome and I wish the world had more crazy rich people building gothic forts, rather than lovely gated neighborhoods full of mcmansions.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Sappo569 posted:

How does this not violate dozens of health and safety laws?

:psyduck:

It's not quite as bad as it looks, there are emergency buttons and strings across the gap before every floor that stop the entire thing if you hit them so you shouldn't ever get trapped. People did sometimes pull them on purpose to stop the lift either to delay people rushing to lectures or to prank someone that had gone over the top or through the pit. Also the edges of the lift cars and the first part of each floor are hinged so they will flip upwards if you do manage to hit them from below. You can sort of see it in this picture:

I think the main reason it is still there is that it predates a lot of the health and safety laws and so many of these elevators were ripped out and replaced that the few that are left are seen as historical curiosities now. The Arts tower is also a listed building so I don't think they can change it even if they wanted to. There's a modern elevator across from it that you can use if you want or need to. I spent about ten years around the university and I never heard of anyone getting hurt in it although it did get a bit hectic at lecture times with hundreds of students rushing to cram onto it and it did destroy a couple of ladders someone tried to take in it.

Haha I just read this on Wikipedia when I was looking for that picture. It's before my time but I wish I'd seen it

Wikipedia posted:

Entry to the building was originally made by a wide 'bridge' between fountains over a shallow pool area in front of the building. This pool was eventually drained and covered over when it was found that strong down drafts of wind hitting the building on gusty days caused the fountain to soak people entering and exiting the building.
and this is the building that the architecture students have their lectures in!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nurse Fanny posted:

Sacramento, California is a pile of clashing architectural styles.

The "Ziggurat"

At night:

Here it is with its neigbor:

I like both the Ziggurat and CALSTRS at night. During the day, the Ziggurat is hideous. The Ziggurat was a terrible disaster. It was open as the headquarters of the Money Store (subprime lender in the 90s) for a very short time until they went bust. The building was not designed in a way that it could be partitioned into offices and there were no massive tenants that wanted to move in. Finally some state agency moved in, but still ugly.

The Federal Courthouse in Sacramento was a massive disaster. It is covered in stone panels (granite? I don't know my stone). Well, they were not attached properly and fell off, which in a tall building is a small problem.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 18, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ktb posted:

It's not quite as bad as it looks, there are emergency buttons and strings across the gap before every floor that stop the entire thing if you hit them so you shouldn't ever get trapped. People did sometimes pull them on purpose to stop the lift either to delay people rushing to lectures or to prank someone that had gone over the top or through the pit. Also the edges of the lift cars and the first part of each floor are hinged so they will flip upwards if you do manage to hit them from below. You can sort of see it in this picture:

I can just imagine if it was built in :911:

Every few days you'd have some fatass on a scooter jammed between the lift and a floor

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chicago has a lot of gorgeous architecture. Soldier Field is not one example.

It was originally built as part of a 1924 as a monument to the soldiers of WWI. After sporadic use it eventually became the home stadium of the Chicago Bears in 1971. But a stadium built in the 1920s was a really poor location for a professional sports team (I was at the old stadium , it was a shithole). Everyone was in agreement that either a replacement or renovation was needed. There was just one problem: Team President Michael McCaskey is the textbook definition of "Lucky Sperm Club." Mayor Daley refused to make a deal with Michael on account of him being a complete idiot. Finally Michael was removed from all business decisions (protip: make sure your new head coach agrees to the job before announcing the hiring) and replaced by Ted Phillips.

Ted didn't have a high bar to clear for him to make a deal with the Mayor and, well, it shows

It looks like the Mothership from Close Encounters crashed into the historic stadium. The reason for the design was to preserve landmark status of Soldier Field...which was removed anyways (:v:). Thanks to the clumsy compromise, the Chicago Bears, in the 3rd largest market in the U.S., play in the 3rd smallest stadium in the NFL. And while comfort-wise it's an upgrade from before, it's not exactly safe. 2 years ago there was a major storm in the middle of a game that required the fans to evacuate. But people in the 400 section couldn't get out for 30 minutes. The problem? The one exit to the interior was being blocked because they were still selling beer.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 18, 2015

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Captain Clown posted:

I dunno how bad this is to all of you, but I have to walk by it every day and... ugh. not that the old one was any better either but...

The newly renovated Rhode Island College Art Center:

And that is a picture from when it was first finished a year ago. Now, the metal is already tarnished and dirty looking. It just looks like someone took a dated light brown brick building (aka every other building on campus) and slapped an ugly metal building on top of it.

Schwartz Silver does pretty good buildings, there's nothing wrong with that except for the need for a better landscape. The exterior cladding is weathering steel, which oxidizes over time and is a very intentional decision. The interiors also look pretty rad, which is about what I would expect from SS.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

owns

grotto made of wine bottles over many years. He intended it to be like a greenhouse but the bottles block all the light plants need so...

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

gender illusionist posted:

owns

grotto made of wine bottles over many years. He intended it to be like a greenhouse but the bottles block all the light plants need so...

*finishes third bottle of wine on a Wednesday night.
Honey, what are you doing?

Architecture, bitch.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

owns

lol not that kinda greenhouse dude

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

owns

It's bright enough for a few ferns.

Frostwerks posted:

lol not that kinda greenhouse dude

What other kind is there?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So I see OCAD was already mentioned pretty early.

This is the Rosalie Sharp Pavilion. Kind of ugly but it's not offensive. It's not that important of a building for students either. This year the school got a sizeable donation and they've decided to redo the facade of the building instead of updating the interiors or applying it to students.

This is what they want and I'm not sure what it's trying to be. It looks like crumpled up doilies that are brighter than the sun. And why is The Great Gatsby on the side of the building?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Don't mind me. Just trying to find a place to Rent.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
try not being poor

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

Many elevators ride in open shafts in Vienna for some reason. There are some exceptionally tiny ones in some old residential buildings, too. I found one with an official capacity of 3 persons but in reality even with 2 it's crowded.

The one time I went to Vienna, I rode the Riesenrad which is kind of like the London Eye if all the hi-tech pods were rickety wooden sheds. Terrifying.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Angela Christine posted:

It's bright enough for a few ferns.

What other kind is there?
The one literally made out of green bottles :thejoke:.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Solus posted:

It is pretty run down but not that bad. You have your hot and cold running water, bed and even a little desk. Probably 70% of the world lives in worse places.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Clifton Cathedral in Bristol, UK.

I've only ever seen the outside in person but it looks pretty nice inside, probably because the interior isn't made of seven different kinds of concrete that have been rained on for forty years:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

NihilismNow posted:

It is pretty run down but not that bad. You have your hot and cold running water, bed and even a little desk. Probably 70% of the world lives in worse places.

Going with the assumption that that sink does not also double as your toilet, and that there actually are a real washroom and kitchen down the hall, that's pretty large room for an in-campus accommodation. Double-sized bed AND a table which isn't retarded corner/alcove-space saver? That could easily house four cadets, or two bachelor's-level engineering students.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I feel that this thread should be renamed "The good and bad architecture thread", because some of the buildings in this thread are amazing.

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer

slogula posted:

This is supposed to resemble a smashed guitar.

looks kind like goatse

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

The Skeleton King posted:

I feel that this thread should be renamed "The good and bad architecture thread", because some of the buildings in this thread are amazing.

I support this.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Solus posted:

Not trying to be rude/offensive but why don't you have sheets?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sheets are an affectation of the bourgeoisie.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

ZeusCannon posted:

Not trying to be rude/offensive but why don't you have sheets?

I will ask the person who is attempting to rent this room out. I have Sheets on my bed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Solus posted:

I'm sure you'll find something here: http://www.worstroom.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone here ever visits Houston I'd recommend the Rothko Chapel, which is weirdly plopped in the middle of a suburban neighborhood:

Doesn't look like much, does it?

But inside is pretty neat:

It's dead still quiet inside, and there's some Eastern European women of indeterminate national origin working the guest entrance.

• Locked thread