Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Well I was able to make it about 30 seconds or so. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

NikkolasKing posted:

I think a lot of people overstate how bad the XIII dub was. It was mostly just kinda awkward at points.

I love Barthandalus myself. I want to hear that guy in more things.

I guess Japan is getting more and more...erm, "invested" in foreigners views of their work. It's like how the Evangelion guy was like "NO, NO, YOU DID IT WRONG, GO BACK AND DO IT AGAIN!" with the Rebuild 3 dub.

Then again, the same sort of thing was happening all the way back during Metal Gear Solid 2's localization so I guess it's not a new trend.

It's the subs that are delaying Eva 3, not the dub. Yup. The subs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

That's the actual Takahata101 doing his Nappa voice from DBZ Abridged as Voice 8 for your playable character in Xenoverse.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Terper posted:

That's the actual Takahata101 doing his Nappa voice from DBZ Abridged as Voice 8 for your playable character in Xenoverse.

Hopefully for Xenoverse 2 they'll bring him back to do his Guru voice

Kyrosiris posted:

It probably sounds better in-game, rather than listening to a series of one second voice clips in succession. Also yeah Nappa is hilarious and you'll quote everything he says

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All threads will inevitably be consumed by Xenoverse and Dragon Ball Z chat, apperantly.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I knew a few people back in the day who said Zidane and Kuja were Saiyan ripoffs.

Trance Kuja kinda makes me think of like Super Saiyan 4....maybe.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I knew a few people back in the day who said Zidane and Kuja were Saiyan ripoffs.

Trance Kuja kinda makes me think of like Super Saiyan 4....maybe.
If by "back in the day" means "a few months back", we had some dude post that a couple hundred pages ago, actually.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FF9 is Star Wars but with Goku instead of Han Solo.

It makes you think.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Final Fantasy VIII is Star Wars and Luke jumping at Cloud City is Squall Dying

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Darth Vader is Rinoa from the future - Mind = Blown

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Terper posted:

If by "back in the day" means "a few months back", we had some dude post that a couple hundred pages ago, actually.

Really? People still say that? poo poo, the last time I heard that claim was from some FFIX haters many, many years ago. . It wasn't on here either. It was in the olden days when IX wasn't really that popular among people online. I used to find more FFVIII fans than IX fans.

Strange times.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Episode Duscae wrapped up. This is going to be a 40/40 Famitsu review hit if it improves and expands on everything as much as I think it will.

Controls - If the framerate gets to reach and hold a steady 30 (and they will, Japanese devs duh), and we get some analogue stick sensitivity+speed tweaking I will enjoy it more. It makes sense, it works, there's thought and depth and thrill in it. It's an evolution away from FF13 which was an evolution away from FF12 and I think it's all for the better, I enjoyed it and quickly figured it out, had no trouble like the streamers (went a circle and grinded before the Cave but I could have gone in raw, speedrun-like). I'm willing to say it's more "Souls game" than anything else since I have no KH experience, and I'm happy about it, gonna be so awesome when we have choice in weapons and skills and then all those group whateveritwas.

Visuals - Once up to 1080p and handled with care to not murder long distance alias-traps, then made sure textures hold up better instead of one side being sharp and highres clean and the other being from the PS2 era, it'll be all fine.

Audio - These are unfinished placeholder voices, I have more reason to believe so. Fine sounds, just need tweaks and mixing, a soundtrack I will want to buy all boxes of, it sounds absolutely great for once.

Time to horribly slowly get the remaining 15 gigs of Type-0 and watch a video-focused gaming site most likely have a hard time figuring out how to play it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know why you think they're placeholder.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

MrAristocrates posted:

I don't know why you think they're placeholder.

It sounds like the result of a few hours of practice until the director was happy and there are a bunch of unrecorded lines (need to check if they are there in the Japanese track). My vision is them getting called in for preliminary work on what's been ironed down, promotional material, run some hours each character and "done for now". I'm still pretty okay with all the voices I heard, surprisingly so. I can see accents and voice audio mixing improving in retakes because that's what was most off about it for my ears.

For my most negative point about Episode Duscae: The camera has the right idea but kinda blows, fighting on an incline or wanting to rotate it to look at another direction.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's weird that there's no list of English voice actors, no one recognises them from anything? (Or if there is a list, I haven't seen it)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

For my most negative point about Episode Duscae: The camera has the right idea but kinda blows, fighting on an incline or wanting to rotate it to look at another direction.

I have terrible news about Type 0

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

How could I best sample that fighting at night BGM? Volume gets cut down when you dial up the menu, doubt I could clean it up enough.

victrix posted:

I have terrible news about Type 0

Hahaha that might be the second game of forever to give me motion sickness, sure better than the PSP original but I cannot believe they went with this end product

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeeeah, I'm coming to terms with Type-0s gameplay, but that camera. Oof. Also it's a shame they didn't put online play in there.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Hahaha that might be the second game of forever to give me motion sickness, sure better than the PSP original but I cannot believe they went with this end product

Most schizophrenic developer out there.

Check out FF15! Holy poo poo it's good!

Check out Type 0! Holy poo poo it's reheated leftovers! We heard you like motion blur in your next gen PS4s!

Motion Blur: Off

Camera Sensitivity: 3

There I fixed Type 0 for you Square, yw.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Wow type-0's camera is genuinely making me sick to my stomach with the disgusting amount of motion blur being applied when you move the camera.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Let's ask them on twitter when the patch for the camera is cominahahahshdfdsfsdkf

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

In case someone in the FF15 demo cannot find the spinny swordguard powerup sword, linked if you want to find it without clue on your own: http://i.imgur.com/bTNUDA2.jpg

e: NewGame+ of Episode Duscae adds a good amount of enemies to fights and fields, recommended if you haven't gotten enough, 20+ Magitek soldiers and cows in a fight now

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 18, 2015

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The night battle music is so loving good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Narration in type-0 makes me feel like I'm watching the fantasy History Channel.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I've been playing the demo for the past few hours and it's definitely promising. It's hard to give a definitive answer on whether or not I think it's good because there's so much that'll be in the full game that's not in the demo. Which, duh, of course, it's a demo.

There's nothing in the demo that jumps out at me as something that's so terrible that it has no place in the final product, except for some performance issues which is more a matter of time than anything else.

The best part of the demo to me was running around at nighttime, looking out at the horizon and seeing Insomnia shining off in the distance, and thinking "in the final game, I can go there."

Something else I want to say is that I hope the FFXV team isn't afraid to make big stretches of nothing. Like, I don't want this to be a Dragon Age: Inquisition situation where you can't go 2 feet without running into some collectible. I think that the balance in Episode Duscae is almost there. Just have a few, huge world spanning quests like collecting the Al-Bhed primers in FFX, get a few more types of enemies out there to add variety, and make it so that it isn't just the same imperial airship that drops in on you time after time but have a few different ways that the imperial army can get the drop on you with different combinations of enemies.

victrix posted:

Check out Type 0! Holy poo poo it's reheated leftovers! We heard you like motion blur in your next gen PS4s!

I'm fine with reheated leftovers, 'cuz I missed dinner!

Help Im Alive posted:

It's weird that there's no list of English voice actors, no one recognises them from anything? (Or if there is a list, I haven't seen it)

Prompto's voice actor seems very familiar to me.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Is there an option for subtitles in the FFXV demo? I tried it out, but set the voices to JP. Figured I'd go through once in that and once in English. But, my nihongo ain't great so I'm not understanding what the pretty boys are saying to each other.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Static Rook posted:

Is there an option for subtitles in the FFXV demo? I tried it out, but set the voices to JP. Figured I'd go through once in that and once in English. But, my nihongo ain't great so I'm not understanding what the pretty boys are saying to each other.

There is and I just now found it. Options / Help / Options. Gonna sample the poo poo outta that night battle

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Static Rook posted:

Yes, once you start the game it's in the option menu.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MrLonghair posted:

There is and I just now found it. Options / Help / Options. Gonna sample the poo poo outta that night battle

Do it for all of us!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So what I've gotten so far from my friends playing FFXV is that Square should go back to ATB or hired the Tri-Ace guys when their company exploded because this is a lovely interpretation of Action RPG. Is that about right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

So what I've gotten so far from my friends playing FFXV is that Square should go back to ATB or hired the Tri-Ace guys when their company exploded because this is a lovely interpretation of Action RPG. Is that about right?

I don't really think so?

It's not an action-RPG. It's seriously more like a Bioware game. The game as a whole reminds me more of Dragon Age: Inquisition than anything else. It doesn't play like an action-RPG at all.

Attacking and defending is automated and is more about resource conservation with only light timing elements than it is about twitch skills. There's not even a timed hit/timed defense mechanic like in Lightning Returns. Positioning is slightly important but no more than in FFXII.

If someone's trying to play it like an action-RPG they'll hate it because none of the mechanics even remotely lend themselves to playing it like an action RPG. There's no combos, only very basic timing elements, there isn't even a dodge roll.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 18, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Most of the impressions I've read about the demo are fairly positive/optimistic which is a nice thing to see with Final Fantasy for once

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Eej posted:

Your friends are probably Get Off My Lawn type guys. I think every negative thing I've seen about FF15 that's not about the frame rate is "this ain't what I played back on the PS1."

I think the balance of MP is interesting even more so that I've seen it in action, because it definitely doesn't let you unload everything at once without hitting that statis limit. At the same time, you won't go anywhere fast if all you do is hold the attack button.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Your friends are probably Get Off My Lawn type guys. I think every negative thing I've seen about FF15 that's not about the frame rate is "this ain't what I played back on the PS1."

I think the balance of MP is interesting even more so that I've seen it in action, because it definitely doesn't let you unload everything at once without hitting that statis limit. At the same time, you won't go anywhere fast if all you do is hold the attack button.

I think I'll be more interested in how MP functions when more skills are available. The lineup they give you is kidna eh. Tempest for the Goblins, Drain Sword if you're low on health and I guess Dragoon Jump might be good for stuff that doesn't move much.

I'm more bothered by how kinda trivial it is to replenish MP. Hanging out on a tower fills you up so fast it feels like you gotta try to be in any danger. It's a demo though so I'm not exactly holding it to high difficulty standards.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You've always said that FF in the end is for the really casual people, and judging from the streams and websites playing the demo, the MP not re-filling as fast as it does would be a huge turn-off because...boy, they are in statis a poo poo ton.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

You've always said that FF in the end is for the really casual people, and judging from the streams and websites playing the demo, the MP not re-filling as fast as it does would be a huge turn-off because...boy, they are in statis a poo poo ton.

Yeah, that's a fair point! I haven't really watched streams so I'm not sure how other people are finding it. It's entirely possible I'm misjudging how tight a resource it is.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Some people seem to be having a hard time with the battle system, and others seem to take to it naturally. Like, I've heard some people complain that the "lock on" doesn't keep you tracking the enemies well enough, and they have a hard time killing the fast dog things. I've seen other people on streams that are able to take out packs of the dogs in a couple seconds (and these people weren't experienced- they weren't pulling off any parries or anything). I've seen people complain that battles take forever, but I also saw a guy get attacked by a dog, then about 5 or 6 imperial mecha-troopers showed up, then a herd or about 6 garulas showed up, then another squadron of troops showed up... I think he killed about 20 enemies, and it took him four minutes- onslaughts like that seem really rare, so in general the battles seem fast. Some people claim parrying is poorly explained and hard to pull off, but I saw a kid who looked about 14 pick it up in the tutorial right away and master that poo poo. *shrug*

I think only one thing is clear at this point: Episode Duscae is the worst demo in the series.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MrLonghair posted:

Episode Duscae wrapped up. This is going to be a 40/40 Famitsu review hit if it improves and expands on everything as much as I think it will.

We can only hope and prey that this game will live up to the gargantuan heights of such revolutionary games as Final Fantasy XIII-2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Yakuza 5, and Nintendogs

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Look, 40/40 Famitsu is like an Oscar. It shouldn't be relevant, but it is. By which, I mean SE's gonna get alot more paper if they get that Oscar.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

We can only hope and prey that this game will live up to the gargantuan heights of such revolutionary games as Final Fantasy XIII-2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Yakuza 5, and Nintendogs

Speaking of FFXIII-2, I'm sorely tempted to grab it on PC and I'm honestly not sure why. I really like FFXIII's battle system but I'm not sure I want to play XIII itself again. It'd probably be smarter to just wait for Lightning Returns to come to PC (even though it's not quite the same system), but I dunno. I hear mixed things about whether XIII-2 is actually any good or not.