Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

RBA Starblade posted:

My city is a hellscape of grids, turd bays, buses desperately fighting the freight trucks to get to the newly rejuvenating forestry zone (I had to dezone like a third, I guess you don't need nearly as much as in Sim City). Meanwhile I apparently ran out of coal for my plant and never noticed since I've been building so many advanced wind turbines (why would I not do this by the way). I put down social services entirely based on what looks about right based on where I've expanded and with no thought for actual expansion. I haven't bought the block with the interstate yet so that's next and God help me when I try to gently caress with it to unclog it.

e: Oh good the medical clinic is on fire.

e: I am fairly certain I will have to raze half the city to actually adjust for the traffic problems rising. I won't, but I should.

I just noticed dead bodies piling up all over my one district city. I have 3 cemeteries and an incinerator but they aren't sending out hearses. I can see the hearses in Use tick from 0 to 1 for an instant and then back again while bodies continue piling up. I don't understand what is going on in this town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

Freakus posted:

I created this monster for industrial truck traffic:

One east-west freeway meeting a north-south freeway. Both freeways can get off onto any cargo terminal. And all cargo terminals can get back going on either freeway.

Good lord man :catstare:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Decrepus posted:

I just noticed dead bodies piling up all over my one district city. I have 3 cemeteries and an incinerator but they aren't sending out hearses. I can see the hearses in Use tick from 0 to 1 for an instant and then back again while bodies continue piling up. I don't understand what is going on in this town.

When you're emptying a landfill into an incinerator do they stop bothering to collect the trash? Because I just realize my city is now drowning in it.

e: Oh god it's the traffic the gridlock finally hit send help

(I know it looks like a dong that's not intentional shush)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 18, 2015

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

Then that's a cloverleaf, a cloverleaf is basically the most compact design you can really have for a 4 way and functions perfectly well as a 3 way too, you just have two spare roads hanging off the end until you run the highway further.

Stacks are better and bigger, prettier to in my opinion.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

kinnas posted:

Stumbled upon something that made me really appreciate the scale of the game:

Christ alive :stare:

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

kinnas posted:

This. Something about how the game has bad feedback on some of the information makes you start ignoring even the accessible information and you just start winging everything. A sprinkling of schools, a pinch of firestations, mix em up with a couple of buslines, put it in the oven for 10 minutes and see if it burns.

I stopped trying to find good places for my garbage incinerators and just put down a very large number in one corner of the map, since its hard to figure out garbage truck coverage and traffic slowdowns and I figure with a big enough pipeline of trucks the city will basically be saturated with mobile dumpsters

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Freakus posted:

I love it

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I find myself always trying to make symmetrical poo poo with perfect zone spacings and the more I try the more I realize just dinking around with free-form layouts is a lot more rewarding. It's not like I'm trying to break any records, who cares about a bit of wasted space if the city looks 100x cooler.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DopeGhoti posted:

Has anyone had issues with the game just straight-up not being playable?

I get this when I start it, at what I presume to be the main menu:

(This is on a Mac, if that's relevant)

Never got an answer, but found the solution- disable the Steam overlay. If anyone else had this; there you go.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Given the depth of the modding capability, what exactly is preventing mods increasing the map size beyond 5x5? It's definitely not necessary for me now or in the near future, but I'm kind of really curious how such a hard limit could be set. Is it just the fact the current modding tools can't touch the relevant bits of code?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

Given the depth of the modding capability, what exactly is preventing mods increasing the map size beyond 5x5? It's definitely not necessary for me now or in the near future, but I'm kind of really curious how such a hard limit could be set. Is it just the fact the current modding tools can't touch the relevant bits of code?

Computers turning into flaming piles of slag.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
Today I saw a truck turn itself inside out on a road, blocking traffic as it twitched and folded into itself.

I think one of my residents is optimus prime.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I like when it looks like you're failing, but you're actually doing well in this game. All my industry and forestry suddenly started to poo poo the bed for lack of workers, despite all my efforts to get public transit over there and building a working cargo train to make up for my very antiquated road systems I built back when my 85,000 person city was a town of 5,000.

Finally I said gently caress it and just bulldozed over half my industry, plopped down some basic civil services and parks in the now empty area, then threw high density residential and office building zoning all over the place wantonly.

About 5 minutes later I'm looking at max level housing and offices, and my city's profit has doubled. I knew investing in a really solid educaitonal system would pay off one day :getin:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

SynthOrange posted:

Computers turning into flaming piles of slag.

I haven't even come close to filling out a map yet so I don't know how performance holds up- but that's not exactly the angle I was looking for. Is that layer of programming just completely hidden and restricted?

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
Would a really large map be all that more intensive on the computer? Agent pathing is the main culprit right? But calculations happen along roads anyway so comparatively a smaller monster mess of roads should be more taxing than villages ways away from eachother but connected via simple straight highways?

I'm speculating out of my rear end here though, I have no idea about any of that stuff.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Freakus posted:

One east-west freeway meeting a north-south freeway. Both freeways can get off onto any cargo terminal. And all cargo terminals can get back going on either freeway.

I need to make one of these. My big industrial center is a loving mess because I built it around three landfills :downs:
Once I empty and move the landfills, I'll be able to gut and restructure the whole thing with some kind of insane highway maze like that one, but for now it's like a never ending perfect storm of garbage trucks and delivery vehicles. Fire trucks from the station in the complex cannot reach burning factories in time.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I started using the map editor today to try to recreate the greater Springfield, MA area in the game. I used terrain party to get the basic height map of the area, but it is frustrating that you have to manually sprout rivers above the water line. I was used to the SimCity 4 "anything below this altitude is water" way of maps and I had to unlearn what i had learned. Unfortunately, trying to craft rivers and bodies of water after importing height maps was a bit rough. I got the hang of it, though.

Something I wish the map editor could do is import layers for overlays. Drawing highways while eyeballing another map is kind of a pain. Being able to overlay, say, a screenshot of a Google Map for a general idea of where to make sure water, highways, and railroads go would help a lot.

All that said, I actually got the geography about 95% right and I started making the highway network. Creating interchanges in this takes some work but it's mad fun.

Also, give me wacom tablet support so I can edit maps with a pen and pressure sensitivity on my Cintiq. :getin:

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Freakus posted:

I created this to interface a city 150,000 people, the signficiant traffic generated by the cargo ports and train station, the central garbage inceneatron three major industralia/extraction zones. It's mesermising to watch. Entirely red on the heat map but it flows fairly smoothly most of the time. I'll probably need to replace it by the time I hit 200k people I think. I tried to make a gif of this but gooncam kept crashing.

I used to have a hellish gridlocked city but I went in and redesigned my interfaces and now my city of 150k people is almost entirely green and smooth flowing.

Here's the bulk of my city, the CBD and so on.

there's still a bunch more nestled around the mountains and stuff elsewhere and five or so large industrial towns not pictured

It's coming together nicely though

Still lots of room to go, and got a bunch of commercial demand to fulfill so it will be interesting to see how it handles the ever increasing traffic.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Did some highway testing, hope this helps a bit and shows that onramps can be very useful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nonDzZfoqiY

Also, one thing I forgot to mention, a dub-stub cancels out and makes all lanes thru again.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
This game is turning into transport tycoon for me. I'm spending more time devising highway, train, and subway interfaces then I am actively city building. It just ticks on by at 3x speed in the background.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I picked this up the day before yesterday and am now horribly addicted. Haven't had this much fun with a city builder since SC2k, it's fantastic. Can't wait for tunnels and elevated rail and such to come along in expansions/mods.

Also, I had a go at the colour correction thing, trying to make the game look like the title screen from Mirror's Edge. Had some degree of success, I've got an improved version that's less contrast-ey and with a better shade of blue to upload when I get home from work.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409390776

M_Gargantua posted:

This game is turning into transport tycoon for me. I'm spending more time devising highway, train, and subway interfaces then I am actively city building. It just ticks on by at 3x speed in the background.

At least we don't have to worry about signalling or one-way lines, right? :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Seriously the only thing I feel the game NEEDS is clean merging or splitting of one way roads into dual direction ones instead of lights popping up. nyaargh

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Icedude posted:

Also, I had a go at the colour correction thing, trying to make the game look like the title screen from Mirror's Edge. Had some degree of success, I've got an improved version that's less contrast-ey and with a better shade of blue to upload when I get home from work.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409390776

Now you just have to make everything red stay vibrant red.

Icedude posted:

At least we don't have to worry about signalling or one-way lines, right? :v:

Features that I secretly want.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I just spent an hour and a half putting trees in all the empty spaces between buildings.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

I just spent an hour and a half putting trees in all the empty spaces between buildings.

Doesn't this actually reduce a significant percent of noise pollution?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Slickdrac posted:

Did some highway testing, hope this helps a bit and shows that onramps can be very useful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nonDzZfoqiY

Also, one thing I forgot to mention, a dub-stub cancels out and makes all lanes thru again.

"Pretty sure that's illegal... at the very least its a dick move" :laffo:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Chewbot posted:

I made another color lookup table, because I felt like Boreal maps are meant to be cold but don't feel like it. I think I may have a problem.

I also figured out an interesting trick to make near-camera appear higher contrast than far away, giving it a "fog in the distance" look.

This map is called Innsbruck Valley btw (not made by me), and it is a real bitch challenge to play due to being a tight mountain pass, but it's pretty and one of the few user maps I've found that doesn't have some kind of glaring design flaw.

Have you uploaded that lookup table yet?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Things are coming along.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Now you just have to make everything red stay vibrant red.

Features that I secretly want.

I was actually trying to make one that doesn't do that and make it look like this, as there's actually two that already do the red-only thing: 1 2

I kinda want them too :ssh:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

There's a real dearth of sceenshots and fan art in the OP, can you guys give me a hand there? :)

Also, I'm starting another list with goon cities, if you think your city is cool or whatever feel free to post (or repost)

I'm also (trying to) keeping track of goon-made mods and prefabs/buildings but I'm behind on it as well. :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don't have any quirky or crazy screenshots of intersections and stuff, but have a couple scenic shots:

Bonus Burgers:

(totally unrealistic, there is no huge line of cars waiting at the drive-thru for overrated burgers)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Look at the lack of textures under the bridge.

I don't think they intended for us to build rail in trenches.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm wondering if I can even play this game on my computer or laptop. I have a core 2 duo desktop setup with a gtx 280, and also a laptop with a core i5 and a decent graphics chip. Would the game be playable once my cities get bigger?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Shibawanko posted:

I'm wondering if I can even play this game on my computer or laptop. I have a core 2 duo desktop setup with a gtx 280, and also a laptop with a core i5 and a decent graphics chip. Would the game be playable once my cities get bigger?

the laptop should do decently. be prepared to turn down settings though

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I call it The Spider.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
That's actually quite cool looking

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Yeah that's right, oh yeah, look at that cruiser going down the pedestrian path.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I wanted to recreate this but didn't have any room between my highways what does everyone think?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Decrepus posted:

I wanted to recreate this but didn't have any room between my highways what does everyone think?

:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Close enough!