Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

raditts posted:

I can never hear it when you guys are complaining about somebody's laugh in the loving audience, you're all crazy people.

I usually don't notice but this one, holy christ. It was literally painful, I had to crank the volume way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I bet she was really hot too. God that poo poo is depressing.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

It sounded like someone was murdering a puppy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fix posted:

No, the other guy was right. That was awful because he sucks.

Nope, he definitely rules. Sorry.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remember the days (around 2004ish) when The Daily Show News Team was Bee, Corddry, Colbert, and Helms. I still consider it the classic cast, knowing this was before Jones, Oliver, Mandvi, Riggle, and Williams. This was the time when TDS was emerging as a strong comedic voice on people's radar, yet was still able to get field pieces with subjects who thought they were real reporters.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Krinkle posted:

I used to watch the daily show, colbert, then conan at late night, all in a row. Then for years conan moved into conflict and I sadly saw him less. I guess I could just watch him on TBS if the comedy central late night falls apart.

I haven't felt compelled to watch Conan in years, even when I DVR it. It's just not different enough from the stale late night format on every other channel, only now it's on a channel that I never go out of my way to watch.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

raditts posted:

I haven't felt compelled to watch Conan in years, even when I DVR it. It's just not different enough from the stale late night format on every other channel, only now it's on a channel that I never go out of my way to watch.

Fallon and Conan for me are both like watching baseball: I wouldn't choose to watch it in full, but I can enjoy some highlights. If one of those guys does something notable, it'll show up somewhere else online.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The segment where played Mortal Kombat with Gronk and Marshawn Lynch was terrific.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Wow. After the "PC" episode, I think I'm done with the Nightly Show. Sorry, Larry, I gave it my best shot, but that was loathesome.

Also, I don't think he understood why "Gyp" was on the list of offensive words.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

raditts posted:

I go over to http://teamcoco.com once in a while and catch up, as said the Clueless Gaming shorts are absolutely fantastic (as a videogamer).

However I really recommend everyone watch the Conan in Cuba episode that aired March 4th, its fantastic and just him wandering around Havana for an hour interacting with locals. Absolutely wonderful and warm episode, no guests just him in Cuba.

Also this weeks John Oliver knocked it out of the park again.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Wow. After the "PC" episode, I think I'm done with the Nightly Show. Sorry, Larry, I gave it my best shot, but that was loathesome.

Also, I don't think he understood why "Gyp" was on the list of offensive words.

That was so poorly conceived. If they wanted to do an episode about intolerance for offensive/presumed-offensive/newly-offensive material on college campuses they should've narrowed it down, gotten a guest who had a related experience (Dan Savage maybe?) and discussed it in concrete and relevant terms rather than just having some random guy froth like it's 1990.

I'm also getting sick of how the show is so careful with racial diversity (good) but god forbid any panel that isn't explicitly addressing "women's issues" have more than one woman.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

spronk posted:

However I really recommend everyone watch the Conan in Cuba episode that aired March 4th, its fantastic and just him wandering around Havana for an hour interacting with locals. Absolutely wonderful and warm episode, no guests just him in Cuba.

Based on the opening of the episode, it seems like Conan in Cuba is very similar to what Bourdain does with Parts Unknown. They're both interested in interacting with locals, but Conan's goal is comedy instead of anthropological study.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Conan probably also doesn't pretend he's smarter than he actually is.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

Conan probably also doesn't pretend he's smarter than he actually is.
He doesn't have to pretend he's smart either- he's got smarts to spare.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Grand Fromage posted:

I usually don't notice but this one, holy christ. It was literally painful, I had to crank the volume way down.

Okay, can someone say exactly which date's show we're talking about?

I suddenly feel the urge to experience this laugh.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Okay, can someone say exactly which date's show we're talking about?

I suddenly feel the urge to experience this laugh.

I think it was the Rob Corddry episode from last thursday, 3/12.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Whatever this nightly show march madness bullshit is, john oliver did it better.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Yeah, I lost interest as soon as I heard the topic for tonight. I hate to just blow off the episode for that, but I didn't really give a poo poo about it on John Oliver last night either.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

You're not missing much, the panel mostly consists of Barney Frank rambling and everyone else barely getting in a word edgewise.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I preferred Frank's points over what felt like weirdly defensive behavior from the rest of the panel. It was limp justification for an unjustifiable system because I guess they just like to watch it as a past time and don't want to think critically. They seemed to think Frank was anti-athlete at one point, which was the most willfully dense understanding of his arguments possible. Plus another panelist all but said "hey I don't know poo poo about poo poo but here comes a sentence out of my mouth" as preface for a nothingburger comment. They need to screen their guests better for the topics at hand or cut down on the number of panelists.

As for the intro, Wilmore's jokes were pretty weak, especially in contrast to Oliver's on the topic, made worse by clumsy ad-libs and laughing at them himself. They didn't rise above the level of pun or "guy takes expressions literally".

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It shouldn't be too loving hard to get an academic professor to come on the show to talk about stuff. But for whatever reason, the panels seem to be more of a "Whoever the hell shows up" grabbag. Which is fine, but they REALLY need a stronger scholastic voice.

Which, not to be all COLBERT HELL YEAH about it, was one of the best facets of The Colbert Report.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If the show lasts long enough to fix its flaws and refine the formula, the caliber of guests should go up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aside from the fact that half-hour panel shows that only allow half of that time at best for the actual panel are a terrible idea, I think the thing that drags Nightly down the most is that it's just mostly a straight "guy covers news topics with jokes" without any real theme or gimmick to it. Like you can watch The Daily Show and you get that it's a parody of 24-hour cable news, you could watch Colbert and get that he's an over-the-top parody of screaming conservative talking heads (at least he was, before the real thing got more ridiculous than he could ever hope to be), but Larry? He's just... Larry, the guy who is playing air guitar in a public bathroom for some reason in his intro, and his personality is not really enough to carry things or make them interesting. Even the dare bracket thing seemed like something held over from Colbert's show that would've been on there if his show was still going.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Barney Frank was pretty good on the panel. He also seemed very annoyed at the panel format.

I don't want to defend Nightly's problems too much, but Colbert has entrenched the feeling that I want a little bit more after The Daily Show, and Nightly still does exactly that, without feeling like a network Late Night show. The problem is it doesn't do too much more. (And I'm not worrying about Stewart leaving TDS yet.)

I'll repeat that if they want to do a panel, it should probably just be the full episode and maybe only once a week; with the rest of week having a format closer to Stewart and Colbert. It won't solve Larry's lacking presence and bite; but it'd still be a "good enough" program for "a little more" after TDS. Without Stewart, I'll be even less likely to watch Nightly, even if the show improves a bit. I'm not sure if Nightly will even last until Stewart's run on TDS ends.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

Barney Frank was pretty good on the panel. He also seemed very annoyed at the panel format.

I don't want to defend Nightly's problems too much, but Colbert has entrenched the feeling that I want a little bit more after The Daily Show, and Nightly still does exactly that, without feeling like a network Late Night show. The problem is it doesn't do too much more. (And I'm not worrying about Stewart leaving TDS yet.)

I'll repeat that if they want to do a panel, it should probably just be the full episode and maybe only once a week; with the rest of week having a format closer to Stewart and Colbert. It won't solve Larry's lacking presence and bite; but it'd still be a "good enough" program for "a little more" after TDS. Without Stewart, I'll be even less likely to watch Nightly, even if the show improves a bit. I'm not sure if Nightly will even last until Stewart's run on TDS ends.

Barney was straight up saying "I thought I was here to sell my book."

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Panel was definitely way too short on Monday's episode of Nightly Show. I'd like it if they did the Jon Stewart thing where some of the interviews are taken online for a more in depth discussion.

That said I'm a pretty big fan of these kinds of debate shows, even when they're on boring politically nuanced points like the stuff on public television. (I'm representing the 0% on this thread)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

It shouldn't be too loving hard to get an academic professor to come on the show to talk about stuff. But for whatever reason, the panels seem to be more of a "Whoever the hell shows up" grabbag. Which is fine, but they REALLY need a stronger scholastic voice.

Which, not to be all COLBERT HELL YEAH about it, was one of the best facets of The Colbert Report.

Well, sure, you could get people on who actually know what they're talking about.

Or you could get a selection of Larry's friends and acquaintances from around the business. And really, if you can have that, why bother with the former?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I like the idea of extending out the panel. Larry's monologue is generally weak.

Or maybe just a chain of interviews: Intro to a subject and then exploration with person 1, act 2 has person 2 to expand or contrast, act 3 is a throwdown with opposition to the general idea of the episode and either a comedian with full reign to make fun of the opposition or an expert to out-reason them.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That will never happen because Larry seems to have no real desire to actually confront folks who have lovely arguments.

That's why I'm not sure why people want them to be even longer. They're the worst part of the show not because they don't go on for x minutes longer, but because they're utterly toothless by design with lovely choices of uninformed, idiotic, and awful people to take part.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Out of curiosity, how are the ratings for The Nightly Show? I mean, this thread seems to be leaving it behind (I quit a few weeks back and doubt I'll return unless o hear it's improved), but I know that's not indicative of its wider success or failure. How is it doing relative to TDS or Colbert?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ClydeUmney posted:

Out of curiosity, how are the ratings for The Nightly Show? I mean, this thread seems to be leaving it behind (I quit a few weeks back and doubt I'll return unless o hear it's improved), but I know that's not indicative of its wider success or failure. How is it doing relative to TDS or Colbert?

I don't know how accurate this is, but those ratings look pretty dire.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Oh Snapple! posted:

That will never happen because Larry seems to have no real desire to actually confront folks who have lovely arguments.

That's why I'm not sure why people want them to be even longer. They're the worst part of the show not because they don't go on for x minutes longer, but because they're utterly toothless by design with lovely choices of uninformed, idiotic, and awful people to take part.

Eh, sometimes you need to hear out the uninformed opinion? Plus everyone has a different idea of who is uninformed about something. I agree that Larry has to moderate better.

Maybe Larry's pocket is 'black issues' because I always learn something new watching those roundtables.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tezzeract posted:

Eh, sometimes you need to hear out the uninformed opinion? Plus everyone has a different idea of who is uninformed about something.

No, you really don't, and "being informed" is not a subjective thing. This is the kind of anti-logic that Fox News runs on.

The only reason to "hear out" the uninformed opinion is so you can proceed to tear it down so other people understand that it is uninformed, which is something TNS doesn't do.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

raditts posted:

No, you really don't, and "being informed" is not a subjective thing. This is the kind of anti-logic that Fox News runs on.

The only reason to "hear out" the uninformed opinion is so you can proceed to tear it down so other people understand that it is uninformed, which is something TNS doesn't do.

Prettymuch this. Uninformed is not a "side" of a debate, it's just useless anti-information that wastes peoples' time. The only value it would have is exactly raditts puts it. The problem is that Wilmore is either unwilling or just unable to confront it as such.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Huh, I thought they'd get a comedian to record a fake C-SPAN phone call, but I guess they're OK with TDS just playing their tapes?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Colin Quinn, the show is now Tough Crowd, I'm out y'all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No, it's Tosh.0 now.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

That whole C-Span Hatewatch bit was fantastic. They executed it perfectly.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

raditts posted:

Pretty much.

I mean, and I know I harp on this a good bit but it's so endemic to the problems of the show , you had a dude sit there on the show and practically tell the world he doesn't know how basic immunology works. And loving no one called him on it. That's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Basically The Nightly Show is starting to look like all those ridiculous news segments and interviews that TDS and TCR made fun of for a decade.

Edit: And I say "starting" only because its so early in its run. It's very much looking like them already.

• Locked thread