Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Laserface posted:

Yeah because rich people pay all their taxes, as we just discussed.

60%+ income tax and proper legislation that isn't full of holes AND a man with a club who takes any tax you don't pay out of your kneecaps isn't wholly unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Nibbles! posted:

The tax system really does need an overhaul. The top rate is $180k or so? You could make the case for new brackets in the mid to high six figures and even seven. BAS and the like could do with change as it can be a headache for smaller businesses every few months.

Addressing profit sharing would be one of the larger steps towards preventing large tax avoidance.

GST can wholly substitute for company tax, its just that in this scenario the federal government gets no revenue from it.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Endman posted:

Economics is complicated. I think we should go back to bartering pigs for prostitutes and be done with it.

It would definitely be a tremendous relief for the Honourable Member for North Sydney

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Laserface posted:

Yeah because rich people pay all their taxes, as we just discussed.

Why not just raise it in response to the constant loophole usage? If you're going to work around most of it, then pay more to begin with.

I call it the "Dodge this" approach.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

markgreyam posted:

Why not just raise it in response to the constant loophole usage? If you're going to work around most of it, then pay more to begin with.

I call it the "Dodge this" approach.

Just like how 40% of zero is zero, 60% of zero is also zero, only 60% viewed in isolation (or 60c of a dollar) is even more prone to being shed tears over by The Honourable Member For North Sydney

There is absolutely no reason to increase income tax to target the rich when the rich can and do pay accountants to convince everyone their incomes are zero

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

markgreyam posted:

Why not just raise it in response to the constant loophole usage?
Because building a stronger gate doesn't stop the horse that already bolted.

Nibbles! posted:

The tax system really does need an overhaul. The top rate is $180k or so? You could make the case for new brackets in the mid to high six figures and even seven. BAS and the like could do with change as it can be a headache for smaller businesses every few months.
Incidentally the current government's approach to increasing revenue is to rely on bracket creep and hope nobody notices.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

cpaf posted:

Just like how 40% of zero is zero, 60% of zero is also zero, only 60% viewed in isolation (or 60c of a dollar) is even more prone to being shed tears over by The Honourable Member For North Sydney

There is absolutely no reason to increase income tax to target the rich when the rich can and do pay accountants to convince everyone their incomes are zero

Wait when people are saying zero they're being literal, not just saying "close enough to zero"? I honestly assumed it was just being rounded down for the sake of it.

Well now I'm proper angry. I'll go get my kidnapping gear.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

cpaf posted:

Kneecaps are the future. It is through the kneecaps you find the real path towards fair taxation and increased government revenue.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Sometimes the government even pays them.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

markgreyam posted:

Wait when people are saying zero they're being literal, not just saying "close enough to zero"? I honestly assumed it was just being rounded down for the sake of it.

Well now I'm proper angry. I'll go get my kidnapping gear.

quote:

If you earn enough money, paying tax can be optional. Tax Office data reveals that 70 Australians with incomes of more than $1 million each in 2010-11 paid no income tax.

The statistics released last week show that the 70 earned $194 million among them but by the time their accountants had finished, that had been cut to less than $20,000 in taxable income, or $1 of taxable income for every $9999 that went untaxed.

Only 30 of them claimed deductions for tax advice but between them, they paid their accountants and lawyers $33 million, or more than $1 million each.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/the-70-mega-rich-who-dont-pay-tax-20130506-2j3ng.html

So not technically an income zero, but low enough that they don't have to pay any income tax, practically the same

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

cpaf posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/the-70-mega-rich-who-dont-pay-tax-20130506-2j3ng.html

So not technically an income zero, but low enough that they don't have to pay any income tax, practically the same

I prefer the term Avoision.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
One of the pleasures of seeing all those Managed Investment Schemes like Great Southern go belly up was the fact it soaked a lot of rich pricks who were parking income there as a tax dodge.

Less good were the Mum and Dad investors who lost everything because their accountant was on the take from the scheme.

Also less good is the fact that a lot of the money remaining is just going straight into the pockets of the lawyers and liquidators.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
An income low enough that they receive the Low Income Tax Offset, moreover.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

PM says he didn't worry about his own metadata when he was a journalist, at a time that pre-dated internet.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

open24hours posted:

The GST is pretty obviously a regressive tax. Everyone pays the same amount which favours people with more money. You can argue that tax breaks in other areas make up for it, but that doesn't mean it's not regressive.

Was it less regressive than the previous system of wholesale sales taxes, tariffs and levies?

What the Dems let through is doubtless less regressive than what Howard would've rammed through once gaining a senate majority.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

ScreamingLlama posted:

The same 'most people' that many in this thread have painted as abysmally stupid, terribly ill-informed, or both. The same 'most people' who voted 'for Abbott', thus creating the mess we have now. The same 'most people' who forgot all about WorkChoices because they were distracted by the slow implosion of the federal ALP. Based on that, do you think 'most people' really remember or care about ONE loving SENATOR brown-nosing up to Howard 20 years ago? Sure, marginally smarter folk like yourself can point at us and loudly bray "I REMEMBER WHAT YOU DID LAST CYCLE" because you're so completely secure in the knowledge that our one fuckup somehow disqualifies all future AD members and senators from ever doing anything useful again.

Citation needed.

I never said that. It's the same party, but with fresh faces making fresh policies. If you want a Dems MP or Senator to wind back Howard's GST, there's no reason why we wouldn't at least consider it.

Hard for me to say, given that I've never protest voted. If you're going to vote, vote mindfully instead of just giving Joe Candidate the political equivalent of a pity gently caress. If you're determined to hate the Demmies because of something that happened when I was ten, not much I can do about it.

You seem like a p. cool guy.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

cpaf posted:

So you ask for a flat rate for the ransom, not a percentage of income? Got it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Mr Chips posted:

Was it less regressive than the previous system of wholesale sales taxes, tariffs and levies?

Christ knows, the whole thing is incredibly complex. You could probably get a PhD out of it if you could come up with a straightforward answer.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
There are plenty of tax concessions that can be looked at before expanding the GST, like super concessions and negative gearing on existing investment properties.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'm forming the AUSTRALIAN TAX LAW MAKES NO SENSE AND LEAVES ME FEELING CONFUSED AND ALONE party.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
dumbocrats

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Endman posted:

I'm forming the AUSTRALIAN TAX LAW MAKES NO SENSE AND LEAVES ME FEELING CONFUSED AND ALONE party.

https://www.facebook.com/AusTeaParty

Endman
May 18, 2010

Splitters! :argh:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

open24hours posted:

Christ knows, the whole thing is incredibly complex. You could probably get a PhD out of it if you could come up with a straightforward answer.

More than likely. I dimly remember writing some Excel VBA to handle the WST a little while before the GST came in, and there were several bands. Add in a century of accumulated crap and the whole things becomes depressing.

On the topic of tax chat, this seems a fairly accessible history: http://archive.treasury.gov.au/documents/1156/HTML/docshell.asp?URL=01_Brief_History.asp

Chart 3 is particularly interesting - at the time when Australia was the 4th richest country in the world, the top marginal rate was 75% (yes I know that we were rich then because we didn't get destroyed by WWII and US loans)

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SynthOrange posted:

PM says he didn't worry about his own metadata when he was a journalist, at a time that pre-dated internet.

But they had envelopes!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

This seems more insane libertarian than Endman's confusion based party.

Endman can I join your party?

Uhoh....

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

SynthOrange posted:

He also had no troubles paying back his university debt. People are just whingers.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

He also had no troubles paying back his university debt. People are just whingers.

"Things that weren't problems in my day, that are problems now, shouldn't be problems now because they weren't problems in my day." ~ Boomers.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
What topics did Abbott report on?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Labor Waste

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-18/leyonhjelm-pushes-for-quolls-to-replace-cats-as-pets/6329674
"Just as cats and dogs are in no danger of dying out, the same will be true if native animals are privately owned. It means they have value."

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

I recommend the replacement of all "natural libertarians" in any walk of life.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
The 50% tax discount on capital gains is an enormous, continuing middle finger to workers and I propose to behead it immediately.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

:psyduck: just loving what no gently caress

Endman
May 18, 2010

As much as I would love to chill out with a pet wombat, the idea that private ownership is the only thing that gives an animal species its value is shockingly stupid.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

I love how libertarians think they are experts on everything. This guy clearly has no idea what "domestication" even means and here he is pulling conservation theory out of his rear end

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

open24hours posted:

"Just as cats and dogs are in no danger of dying out, the same will be true if native animals are privately owned. It means they have value."

That Dave, he's an ideas man. You're an ideas man Dave.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A pet dingo ate my baby.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

I love how libertarians think they are experts on everything. This guy clearly has no idea what "domestication" even means and here he is pulling conservation theory out of his rear end

Believing in the free market makes you smarter than anyone else. That's the libertarian creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

A family of possums live in my backyard. Why anyone would want one as a pet is beyond me.

• Locked thread