Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He'll use Sorcerer of Dark Magic instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the real question is what the gently caress happened to Arkana's copy of dark magician

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Endorph posted:

the real question is what the gently caress happened to Arkana's copy of dark magician

I was hoping that Yugi/Atem would have added him to their deck after that duel, and they'd be rocking two Dark Magicians so that they could get use out of Dark Magician.That's what SHOULD have happened with Battle City's ante rule in effect, anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's like joey is the only person who realized 'oh poo poo, I can *use* these cards im getting'

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Pretty sure other than getting Joey's Red Eyes back and the two gods, Yugi didn't take anyone else's cards, and Kaiba didn't take anyone's. He probably figured he was way too cool to use a loser's card.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

it's like joey is the only person who realized 'oh poo poo, I can *use* these cards im getting'

Meh. He's the only one who needed the tech. Everyone else has pretty solid decks (or didn't need them in the case of Yugi). :v:

New Arc-V: The bracelets don't allow multiple versions of Yuya in close proximity to it. So, the obvious question is why. I think it is obvious that Yuya's Dad is behind their construction and will show up eventually as a driving character. I'm getting a serious Bleach vibe from the parental units in this show. They're carefree and goofy, serious when they need to be, and are guaranteed to know waaaaaaaaaaaay more about what's going on than they let on. I wouldn't be surprised if Yuya's Mom is directly involved somehow with his Dad's disappearance. Edit: Is there a housewife archetype in the card game, yet? :v:

Plus, lol anime logic that kids 4 years older than the main cast are somehow too ingrained in their ways to be proper Lancers. Reiji really is a dick.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 18, 2015

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Dexie posted:

By the end of the series, Dark Magician started to represent Atem more then Yugi, and then you find out that oh, the Dark Magician is actually his servant from way back in Egyptian times. Then in his last couple duels, the ones on his own against Bakura and Atem, he's using his own deck filled with his own monsters.

Maybe I'm just tired of the Dark Magician at this point, but I'd like to see more of those guys, you know?

EDIT: Part of the whole point of the Ceremonial Duel at the end of the series was that Yugi had finally learned to stand on his own two feet and be strong by himself without relying on Atem. He didn't need the Pharaoh around anymore to fight his battles for him. Seeing that he still has the Dark Magician comes off to me like...I dunno. It feels like it's a step back for him, in a way.

But maybe I'm just taking my children's card game anime too seriously. :v:

When did Yugi have a dragon?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Blackland Firedragon, Cursed Dragon, Winged Dragon Guardian of the Fortress #1, Koumori Dragon...

the one in that image is Gandora the Dragon of Destruction though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

Those are all monsters he used during his last two duels, against Bakura and against Atem. Gandora was one of his key monsters, it was the one that helped him finally defeat Bakura but then was a total waste of resources against the Pharaoh.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Weird. I remember all those monsters except for that dragon.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

K. Flaps posted:

Weird. I remember all those monsters except for that dragon.

Dragons are the most generic and forgettable of monster types and that's why I won't be using any.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I made a deck with aome very special dragons just for you :twisted:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Yuzu still struggling to tell the Yuyas apart while everyone can immediately (and sometimes from a far distance) recognize that it's her just with different clothing :laffo: this is the best show

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Endorph posted:

Yugi did take cards in Battle City.

Exodia Guy: He took Red-Eyes, kept it on him until it was time to duel Jonouchi, used it again against Kaiba.
Arkana: He took this: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Renewal
Strings: He took Osiris/Slifer.
Mask Guys: He didn't take anything from this I think, but Kaiba took Masked Beast Des Guardias and used it in that 4-person battle royale.
Kaiba: He took Obelisk.

AlternateNu posted:

Meh. He's the only one who needed the tech. Everyone else has pretty solid decks (or didn't need them in the case of Yugi). :v:

New Arc-V: The bracelets don't allow multiple versions of Yuya in close proximity to it. So, the obvious question is why. I think it is obvious that Yuya's Dad is behind their construction and will show up eventually as a driving character. I'm getting a serious Bleach vibe from the parental units in this show. They're carefree and goofy, serious when they need to be, and are guaranteed to know waaaaaaaaaaaay more about what's going on than they let on. I wouldn't be surprised if Yuya's Mom is directly involved somehow with his Dad's disappearance. Edit: Is there a housewife archetype in the card game, yet? :v:

Plus, lol anime logic that kids 4 years older than the main cast are somehow too ingrained in their ways to be proper Lancers. Reiji really is a dick.

All the Yuyas have a piece of SATAN in them, and whenever the Yuyas meet, they have to kill each other (see Yuto vs. Yugo). Presumably, they kill each other so they can absorb each other and SATAN can get closer to full power. Alone, it's not enough to do anything but every time Yuto and Yuya's souls come in contact with one another, Yuya's SATAN powers go crazy.

This is why the Yuzus and their bracelets exist. They may represent a being of light in balance to the being of darkness inside all of the Yuyas. Bear in mind, if Yuzu hadn't shown up and made Yugo go away, Yuto would've been absorbed by HIM, not Yuya. The point of the Yuzus bracelets is to keep the Yuyas away from each other so they won't go nuts and the darkness within the Yuya's won't go stronger. This is why Leo's plan to lock away all the Yuzus in Fusion is a bad thing and why his plan to fuse all the worlds is a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad thing.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 18, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AnacondaHL posted:

Yuzu still struggling to tell the Yuyas apart while everyone can immediately (and sometimes from a far distance) recognize that it's her just with different clothing :laffo: this is the best show

They can't, though. Yuri thought Yuzu was Serena until Dennis (who knew they changed clothes) corrected him. Yugo thought she was Rin, her Synchro counterpart. Yuya didn't even get to meet her because her bracelet triggered due to having Yugo and Yuya in the same place and teleported her and Yugo away. I don't doubt for a second that Sora will believe Serena is Yuzu in the next episode until he's corrected.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

They can't, though. Yuri thought Yuzu was Serena until Dennis (who knew they changed clothes) corrected him. Yugo thought she was Rin, her Synchro counterpart. Yuya didn't even get to meet her because her bracelet triggered due to having Yugo and Yuya in the same place and teleported her and Yugo away. I don't doubt for a second that Sora will believe Serena is Yuzu in the next episode until he's corrected.

It's all a big metajoke. That's why it's awesome.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I guess they all by default assume it's the person from their own dimension, but it was still funny to see the little psychic girl immediately recognize Yuzu through the "disguise"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was really into Sonic Adventure 2 as a kid so this stuff doesn't even phase me.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Red Suit posted:

He'll use Sorcerer of Dark Magic instead

I'd totally be up for this happening. That card's one of my favorites. Especially the anime version, whose effect is "You don't activate spells or traps unless I say you can :smuggo:"

Speaking of, do you think they'll still call them Magic cards? I remember them keeping that name in the original anime even after the change.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

What are some good archetypes/deck set ups for semi-new players? I'm getting some friends to play DevPro with me, and want to be able to help them make some easy to understand decks, and most of them have only played a tiny bit.

Edit: specifically I need like four, since I'm getting four people into it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

skull servant
skull servant
skull servant
skull servant

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real though skull servant is a pretty easy to understand archetype. you dump skull servants into the graveyard and make 3 dudes with 4000 attack. i can post my deck list if you want me to, it's got some pretty simple combos that work well

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
X-Sabers, Constellars and Gem-Knights are all good choices, easy to understand archetypes that have a strong focus, which is why they showed up in the show!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Endorph posted:

for real though skull servant is a pretty easy to understand archetype. you dump skull servants into the graveyard and make 3 dudes with 4000 attack. i can post my deck list if you want me to, it's got some pretty simple combos that work well

That'd be helpful, but I really want to give each of them different deck archetypes, so they can play each other too, so I don't wanna make four decks of the same archetype.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'd suggest Synchrons, Monarchs, Gladiator Beasts and Heroes.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
U.A.s are nice and simple too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sora finds out by the duel disk she's using according to the preview for the next episode. They probably should've switched them. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah saying skull servant four times is a joke but skull servant is definitely good for one of them

anyway here's a deck list, i haven't updated it in a bit but it won games on devpro which is what you're building up to:

3x skull servant (cause you need skull servants)
2x mathemetician (specific milling)
1x kuribandit (good milling, grabs you a spell)
3x tour guide from the underworld (for combo with scarm)
3x scarm, malebranch of the burning abyss (for combo with tour guide)
3x lady in wight (cause you need skull servants)
2x wightmare (cause you need skull servants, counters 'remove from play')
2x rainbow kuriboh (stalling)
3x wightprince (cause you need skull servants, also he can insta summon king)
3x king of the skull servants (duh)
1x allure of darkness (duh)
2x book of life (more king revival)
1x one for one (pull out king instantly)
1x dark hole (just cause)
1x dragon's mirror (weed shall see)
1x miracle dig (more banish countering)
1x foolish burial (duh)
3x mystical space typhoon (why not)
1x dark world dealings (hey it's card draw, and discarding a card can start your combos)
1x raigeki (why not)
3x fiendish chain (because why not)

extra:

1x dragonecro nethersoul dragon (dragon's mirror)
1x first of dragons (dragon's mirror)
1x number 30 acid golem (scarm/tour)
1x number 13 leviathan dragon (scarm/tour)
2x ghostrick alucard (scarm/tour)
1x leviair sea dragon (scarm/tour)
1x mechquipped angineer (scarm/tour)
1x wind-up zenmaines (scarm/tour)
2x dante, traveler of the burning abyss (scarm/tour)
1x mira the giant star (so many level ones, might as well use them)
1x baby tiragon (level 1s)
1x number 39: utopia roots (level 1s)
1x slacker magician (level 1s)

the king combos are obvious so im gonna focus on scarm/tour

tour summons scarm and negates his self-destruct, scarm summons tour when it's sent to the graveyard (including when its removed as xyz material) so it's a self-perpetuating xyz machine for a few turns. the dantes are the main focus of this endeavor, but alucard and acid golem can put in work once in a blue moon. the rest mostly exist to give you options.

i fully encourage whoever you wind up giving skull servants to to experiment with this. there's tons of kit out there for skulls: unizombie and some synchro cards, for instance. zombie master. mezuki. lavalval chain. there are options, and some cards in this deck probably aren't ideal (rainbow kuriboh???) this is just a core deck with an easy to understand combo that nontheless makes you feel like a clever motherfucker when you do it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

One of those kids uses a loving Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth deck. He is a lost cause. And I don't blame Reiji for considering everyone associated with him to be a lost cause as well.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jesus, even just building myself a deck is proving a pain in the rear end. Why are all the cool archetypes that I think look interesting terrible?

I just want to make an Artifact Deck, but their best card apparently got hit hard.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Their best card was super splashable and every single deck was running it. Not hard to see why it got hit, but it sucks, because that more or less killed off pure Artifacts.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

KittyEmpress posted:

That'd be helpful, but I really want to give each of them different deck archetypes, so they can play each other too, so I don't wanna make four decks of the same archetype.

Allow me to contribute: I would suggest a Dark World/Fabled deck, because you get to summon Dracula and it's pretty simple to understand (get guys out of hand things happen.) Here's the one I run FWIW:

3x Grapha, Dragon Lord of Dark World (if you make a Dark World deck without this guy you're a stupid)
3x Lucent, Netherlord of Dark World (good monster, easy fodder for re-summoning Grapha)
3x Snoww, Unlight of Dark World (searching for cards: good)
3x Broww, Huntsman of Dark World (draw power: good)

3x Fabled Raven (good discard power, level-variable tuner)
3x Fabled Grimro (searching for cards: good)
2x Fabled Krus (Special Summoning: good)
2x The Fabled Cerburrel (Tuning: good)
2x The Fabled Catsith (not as good as the rest but eh he can pop stuff he's decent)

2x Fiendish Hound Octhros (He searches for Level 8 Fiends. Grapha is a Level 8 Fiend. Grapha Rules)
1x Genex Ally Birdman (Tuner, good effect)
1x Black Luster Soldier, Envoy of the Beginning (he's good... and stuff)

3x Gates of Dark World (good field spell for Fiend deck)
3x Gateway to Dark World (Special Summoning: good)
3x Dark World Dealings (do I need to explain this, really)

3x Depth Amulet (this card is incredibly rude and therefore good)
3x Dark Smog (ditto)
1x Bottomless Trap Hole (I normally don't like "why not" cards but an endless vendetta against First of the Dragons necessitates that I put a way to deal with him in every deck I make ever.)
1x Eradicator Epidemic Virus (why not)

Extra:
1x Tech Genus Hyper Librarian (Synchro deck draw power go)
1x Clear Wing Synchro Dragon (he's good... and stuff)
2x Ancient Pixie Dragon (I use a Field Spell why would I not)
1x Crimson Blader (he's good... and stuff)
1x Red Dragon Archfiend (I'M THE MASTER OF FASTER)
2x Fabled Leviathan (he's good... and stuff)
1x Beelzeus of the Diabolic Uberdragons (his name rules and he's cool)
2x Star Eater (he's good... and stuff)
1x Red Nova Dragon (because getting to use him in this deck is pretty much "gently caress yeah I win")

2x Number 107: Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon (Adds an extra, incredibly rude step to the Endless Cycle of Grapha. Good monster.)
1x Constellar Ptolemy M7 (he's good... and stuff)

have fun getting your friends to D-D-D-D-DUEL

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Jesus, even just building myself a deck is proving a pain in the rear end. Why are all the cool archetypes that I think look interesting terrible?

I just want to make an Artifact Deck, but their best card apparently got hit hard.

If you need help, here are the blueprints to all the Strucure Decks that have come out. Any one of those should meet your needs.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
How do you make combos work when you're dependent on the deck spitting out the right cards? What do you do when your opponent makes you toss out your entire hand (provided it had your combo ready to go inside it?)

This has bugged me for ten years goddammit.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

HIJK posted:

How do you make combos work when you're dependent on the deck spitting out the right cards? What do you do when your opponent makes you toss out your entire hand (provided it had your combo ready to go inside it?)

believe in the heart of the cards

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Rent-a-Bot posted:

believe in the heart of the cards

SHUT UP YUGI

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

HIJK posted:

Make your deck spit out more cards and/or use cards that let you get those cards, laugh at them because the Graveyard is where 80% of all combos work anyway

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is anyone up and willing to do a quick duel? I want to test out this 'superheavy' deck I made, to see if it's good enough to be usable against noobs/non-tournament decks. I've tried to face pubbies three times, and two of the three were Qli and one was StellarKnights, and they all wrecked me, though I got the Stellar guy down to like, 600 LPs.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Critias and Hermos, here I go :swoon:

Assuming is real and not a pretty convincent fake of course :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

alcharagia posted:

Make your deck spit out more cards and/or use cards that let you get those cards, laugh at them because the Graveyard is where 80% of all combos work anyway

Yeah, it feels really weird that half the time I think "This card would be way more useful if it wasn't actually in my hand". Feels like being banished is essentially the graveyard, though even then you can move stuff out of it (Which kinda defeats the purpose...). Is there any card that can only be used when its banished?