Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dan Didio posted:

If you have no idea what you're talking about, maybe you shouldn't talk about it. Even if you're refusing to make judgements aside from, y'know, claiming one side is holding a grudge.
If you have any more idea than I do, I would genuinely like to hear about it. That's why I asked you in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

CapnAndy posted:

If you have any more idea than I do, I would genuinely like to hear about it. That's why I asked you in the first place.

And I already responded to your question.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Thank you! I didn't want to bring it up because I brought it up a lot already and didn't want to get annoying about it.

gently caress people who would get annoyed at that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senor Candle posted:

gently caress people who would get annoyed at that.

Encouraging! I appriciate it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
You know what, gently caress it, it's not worth it, I'm walking away from this, it's dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah best get out before you make yourself look worse.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
The fact that people are taking this as an opportunity to insult each other is kind of the lesson from this whole ordeal. People on the internet take stupid poo poo as an excuse to get so hateful of each other. I hope none of you are looking for work in the comic field because this poo poo will surely haunt you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would like to work in comics but DC keep rejecting my script saying I need to rewrite the bit where Aquaman wets himself to temporarily boost his powers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Speaking of Aquadudeman, Jason Momoa signed a fan's UNITE THE SEVEN poster with 'gently caress Marvel'

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FilthyImp posted:

Speaking of Aquadudeman, Jason Momoa signed a fan's UNITE THE SEVEN poster with 'gently caress Marvel'

Looking forward to the FF invading Monday Night Justice League.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

You know what, gently caress it, it's not worth it, I'm walking away from this, it's dumb.

Don't forget your ball.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FilthyImp posted:

Is it 1980 already?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
drat myself for not having comixology. I hate having to wait until the daytime to get new issues.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Shawn posted:

The fact that people are taking this as an opportunity to insult each other is kind of the lesson from this whole ordeal. People on the internet take stupid poo poo as an excuse to get so hateful of each other. I hope none of you are looking for work in the comic field because this poo poo will surely haunt you.

The secret is for people to not continually harass anybody over liking/disliking different comics. Why so many people in comics find this hard to believe or do :iiam:

Lurdiak posted:

I will give all my money to whichever superhero decides to settle their differences with a Yappapi Indian strap match.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 18, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of disliking comics, I started reading Prophet a while ago and when I started I really liked it but around issue 40 or so got really burned out on it. It felt like I had just completely lost the thread of what was happening and it became a mess.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

How gritty and realistic of him!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Can't wait for 20 years from then when Reed claims that this action singularly killed DC.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

WickedHate posted:

drat myself for not having comixology. I hate having to wait until the daytime to get new issues.

I'm gonna bite but, uh, is there a reason you don't have comixology? because you could sign up, you know. that's a potential action you could take to fix this problem.

also most books don't seem to go up until eight or nine in the morning from what I remember. but I don't usually grab anything first thing besides that time hawkeye 19 finally came out.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm not trying to defend or condemn anyone in the D'Orazio/Sims stakes, but back when D'Orazio was really actively blogging and was the head of Friends of Lulu and eventually wrote Punisher (like 2008-2010?) Chris Sims wasn't really coming from a "position of power", i.e. he just had his own relatively popular blog and hadn't turned into Comics Alliance's Batmanologist yet. And in terms of things being "scrubbed from the Internet", that's mainly a function of D'Orazio repeatedly deleting posts/her entire blog for reasons unknown to me.

I remember a lot of exchanges (and I don't recall the specific situations at the moment, so I'm going to use an actual example that was from a different former blogger of the same era) that were basically

"I haven't read the issue in question, but I cannot believe that Marvel published a comic where Wolverine murders Northstar because he found out he was gay, this disgusts me!"

"Having read the issue in question, that isn't what happens."

"IT'S STILL DISGUSTING THAT I COULD HAVE INTERPRETED IT AS SUCH. Plus, it's horrible they killed off their only gay hero."

"He's already back from the dead and here are a list of other gay heroes currently appearing in their books."

"That is irrelevant, he's the only gay character I was aware of, and it still sounds homophobic and you've never met a gay person in your life."

"Actually, I am gay."

"You don't get to tell me how to feel, I feel personally attacked. Homophobe."

Like I said, that was a different blogger but it typifies a lot of the conversations on her blog.

1) It is correct to say that no one can tell anyone else how to feel, but pointing out counterfactual statements is still a valid thing.
2) Just because someone was making knee-jerk reactions and people would (sometimes) respond reasonably and the original poster (D'Orazio) responds badly doesn't mean that people didn't cross lines, I feel like the alleged "what are you going to do, cry like a girl?" comment crosses said line.
3) My recollection of this isn't any more valid than D'Orazio's.
4) She was very bad at issuing apologies and was pretty quick to jump to "I view this as a personal attack".
5) All of this was 5+ years ago and I like to think I am a better, more empathetic person now than I was five years ago, and I assume this is also the case for D'Orazio and Sims.
6) Not having followed either of their posting careers closely, the idea that 2010 Sims was able to be the ringleader or primary source of dissenting comments re: any of D'Orazio's online or printed activity rings hollow, given that D'Orazio was a polarizing figure whose work repeatedly received negative responses from various industry and internet people in that time period. It sounds kind of like Dan Slott deciding that the BSS thread "coordinated" all negative response to his comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

To be honest, none of that sounds particularly surprising.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Maybe people should bring all this up with Chris Sims', given he's the one who feels he was in the wrong. I'm sure he'll be very relieved.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

Maybe people should bring all this up with Chris Sims', given he's the one who feels he was in the wrong. I'm sure he'll be very relieved.
I'm not disagreeing with that or his own feelings but there were people on here (who may have just been skimming the posts or whatever, I don't know) who were somehow equating this with like, Brian Wood and talking about being sad to know they can't support Bad People like Chris Sims and Brian Wood and Scott Lobdell and whatever, and that seemed really disproportionate and I was trying to provide context but yeah, I'll forward this post to him ASAP.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm not disagreeing with that or his own feelings but there were people on here (who may have just been skimming the posts or whatever, I don't know) who were somehow equating this with like, Brian Wood and talking about being sad to know they can't support Bad People like Chris Sims and Brian Wood and Scott Lobdell and whatever, and that seemed really disproportionate and I was trying to provide context but yeah, I'll forward this post to him ASAP.

Who equated this to what Brian Wood did?

More importantly, what I really don't understand is why a bunch of people seem to insist on coming out of the woodwork to cast these weird implicit aspersions about what really happened back then when by and large both parties broadly agree on what happened and Chris Sims accepts the blame.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 18, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

More importantly, what I really don't understand is why a bunch of people seem to insist on coming out of the woodwork to cast these weird implicit aspersions about what really happened back then when by and large both parties broadly agree on what happened and Chris Sims accepts the blame.

People are simply trying to process how upset they should be with a creator they like in a situation with missing information. And I wouldn't say that both parties agree, since Chris Sims' seemingly sincere apology was met with basically a middle finger, which seems like a strong indication that D'Orazio doesn't consider Sims to realize how badly he hurt her.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

Who equated this to what Brian Wood did?

I was about to edit my post but I'll just respond to this, I actually went back and read the thread and you're right, no one really did that. I was wrong.

I don't think the agreement is really as broad as you're stating and Sims is doing the respectful thing and apologizing, and you're right, it's really on me for "coming out of the woodwork" regarding this. D'Orazio has undoubtedly had some incredibly lovely things said to her online and some incredibly making GBS threads things happen to her in a professional setting, but this another example of weird self-promotion (? there has to be a better term for this). It's not my job to interpret her motivations though. I'm not even a fan of Sims's writing, I'm not planning on buying X-Men 92, but I also don't see how anything being laid out by D'Orazio is proportionate to the reality of Internet 2008-2010 I also experienced.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

People are simply trying to process how upset they should be with a creator they like in a situation with missing information. And I wouldn't say that both parties agree, since Chris Sims' seemingly sincere apology was met with basically a middle finger, which seems like a strong indication that D'Orazio doesn't consider Sims to realize how badly he hurt her.

Well, yeah, obviously she doesn't agree on exactly how damaging this was and that's a given, but my point is, both seem to agree on the events and that it wasn't her fault and that she's not, at least, misrepresenting the 'facts' as it were.

I mean, I don't want to imply or even outright state that people are being dick about this, but I really, genuinely don't understand what stuff like this

quote:

4) She was very bad at issuing apologies and was pretty quick to jump to "I view this as a personal attack".

and the earlier, "well, she's obviously carrying a grudge" are bringing to this discussion other than trying to make her look worse for no real reason. I'm sure she's not some flawless person, but Sims' doesn't blame her and completely accepts he's at fault, so why are people muddying it further?

It just strikes me as really inappropriate and is really uncomfortable to read, I'll be perfectly honest. Though it's a given that I could very well be reading a lot into this that isn't there, I just don't get why stuff like this keeps coming up, even here.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

apart from the fact that they are (or were) duking it out in a public forum i can't really wrap my head around a way this is anyone's business but the two people involved

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

apart from the fact that they are (or were) duking it out in a public forum i can't really wrap my head around a way this is anyone's business but the two people involved

She publically called him out on her past behaviour, but it's a really, really good point you make and that's kind of why I don't really like the way people are talking about it, I guess.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Part of the issue is that once it becomes a public issue (and it was made a public issue) and once it goes from "Person X did Specific Thing" into "Person X and a Bunch of Other People I Will Not Name or Identify But It was A Lot of People And They Did a Bunch of Really Bad Things I Won't Even Get Into" I always get uncomfortable, and I probably kneejerk responded to this one because specifically in this case I was also a Comics Blogger Who Disagreed with Her at various points five years ago, who was identified as a misogynist and homophobe and racist and etc. for disagreeing with blog posts. She wasn't just saying "Chris Sims did a bad thing" but "Chris Sims was the ringleader of an unnamed group of people who as a group constantly harassed me and make the comics industry hateful and unwelcoming and etc." which is about more than just Chris Sims.

It's stupid and petty and I shouldn't care and I wasn't named and I don't need to be posting about it and probably about five people actually remember the posts in question. And yeah, there's no real way to say "here is a bulletpoint, sourced list of every individual who said something lovely about me personally and not my writing/opinion, CERTIFIED TO BE A PERSONAL ATTACK from five years ago." I didn't need to post any of this. But I'd argue no one needed to post any of this.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm gonna bite but, uh, is there a reason you don't have comixology? because you could sign up, you know. that's a potential action you could take to fix this problem.

My dad, who also likes comics, prefers physical copies, and most issues we just read in the store because we are remarkably poor.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Hey guys, I was trying to explain the whole "Doom and Valeria Richards" relationship as it currently is in Marvel comics (Explaining him as babysitter Doom/Uncle Doom) to someone and the person asked for a good jumping-in point to read those stories, and I had no idea. Can you help? I only see the individual panels posted here and there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vargo posted:

Hey guys, I was trying to explain the whole "Doom and Valeria Richards" relationship as it currently is in Marvel comics (Explaining him as babysitter Doom/Uncle Doom) to someone and the person asked for a good jumping-in point to read those stories, and I had no idea. Can you help? I only see the individual panels posted here and there.

Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four run. Start with the Dark Reign miniseries.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Because in the current climate of female harassment one of the people involved, Sims, is getting a Marvel book (I think it's a mini? It's one of those secret wars things) and D'Orazio (I assume) felt that it wasn't fair that he would get scott free for all the things he caused/felt that people should know about it. The fact that he's got a Marvel gig helps to make the issue more relevant.

I do think that Sims should have apologized (if he felt remorse) before, because now it just seems like he's doing damage control instead of sincere atonement.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Vargo posted:

Doom is Valeria's cool uncle. Doom still a better father figure than Reed. Doom enforces strict bedtimes.

Just throw the Hickman FF omniboo at them.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 18, 2015

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

redbackground posted:

Doom is Valeria's cool uncle. Doom is a better father figure than Reed. Doom still enforces strict bedtimes.

Doom also takes her out for ice-cream.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four run. Start with the Dark Reign miniseries.

Nah you want the Waid run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Nah you want the Waid series.

That really shows the bad side of their relationship, as he uses her to trap her brother in hell, and torture the rest of her family. The Hickman run is when the current relationship begins.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vincent posted:

Because in the current climate of female harassment one of the people involved, Sims, is getting a Marvel book (I think it's a mini? It's one of those secret wars things) and D'Orazio (I assume) felt that it wasn't fair that he would get scott free for all the things he caused/felt that people should know about it. The fact that he's got a Marvel gig helps to make the issue more relevant.

I do think that Sims should have apologized (if he felt remorse) before, because now it just seems like he's doing damage control instead of sincere atonement.

Yeah, that's a big misstep on his part. I've had the same "poo poo, I hosed up, and communication has broken down, so better to just break clean and not force them to deal with my rear end in a top hat self anymore" reaction where it feels like apologising will just rub salt in an open wound, but it does look really bad to those that haven't actually seen that he has made an effort to comport himself differently well before he got this gig.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

That really shows the bad side of their relationship, as he uses her to trap her brother in hell, and torture the rest of her family. The Hickman run is when the current relationship begins.

Still, everyone should read the Waid run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Still, everyone should read the Waid run.

Oh yeah. Its a great run, but if looking for the Doom/Valeria relationship its a really bad place to start.

• Locked thread