Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

open24hours posted:

"It means they have value."

I FINALLY understand why they don't give a poo poo about the environment; because no-one actually owns it. Things (like animals, which are things) don't have inherent value unless they are owned by someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

open24hours posted:

A family of possums live in my backyard. Why anyone would want one as a pet is beyond me.

I honestly don't know why some people keep rats as pets, let alone possums.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

ScreamingLlama posted:

They thought we were gone.

They called us a "footnote in political history".

But this election, we're back.

And we're keeping the bastards honest.

Goons, I'd like to introduce a new contender for the NSW Upper House for 2015:

Rendall Wagner, from Point Clare on the Central Coast, has signed up for an Upper House ticket along with a dozen other Australian Democrats candidates around the state. The NSW Australian Democrats are firmly behind putting a total kybosh on coal seam gas (exploration as well as fracking), keeping the Libs from starving TAFE of its funding, supporting the growth and development of manufacturing and hi-tech industry, improvement and further development of passenger rail and making the most out of the NBN. In particular, Rendall wants to see more telecommuting, teleconferencing and other work from home initiatives in places like Gosford and Wyong.

Some background for those not familiar with the Dems (especially foreign goons):

Founded in 1977, the Australian Democrats are a nominally centrist (but noticeably left-wing in practice) party devoted to government transparency and accountability (as expressed by the rather colourful slogan "Keep The Bastards Honest"), the absence of corporate or other vested interests in politics, economic justice, social justice and human rights. (Basically, we're the polar opposite of the LNP and ALP, but not as far left as the Greens.) In 1986, Janine Haines took the helm of the Dems to become the first woman in Australia to lead a political party.
Ten years later, things fell apart when Meg "the gays are ruining the party" Lees failed to hold John Howard accountable for introducing tax reforms he said weren't going to happen. The Goods and Services Tax passed the Senate, the Dems as a whole were blamed and despite maintaining a Senate presence right up until 2008, the party's reputation was permanently stained.

In 2012, a near-bankrupt money hungry shitstain by the name of John Davey set up his own faction with the intent of taking over control of the party completely, aided and abetted by the then-president of the NSW state division and some other muckety-mucks in the National Executive (ironically, this all happened shortly after I joined the party). Calling themselves 'RebootD' and claiming their aim was to give the Dems a fresh start, Davey and company laid waste to the party's organizational structure and finances EVE-style, including looting $22,000 from the national bank account and hijacking all the web domains, engaging in some truly bizarre correspondence with the Australian Electoral Commission that nearly cost the party's national registration, seizing control of the official social media accounts and using them to slander and bully the living crap out of anyone who questioned their actions, and holding their own separate national executive meetings where they pretended that the Democrats' national president, Darren Churchill, had resigned. After a concerted effort involving the real NE and the AEC, RebootD was given the flick, but three years later we're still picking up the pieces. Needless to say, it cost us the ability to field candidates for the 2013 federal election.

Fortunately, we've been able to restore the party's functionality enough to get Rendall Wagner and friends on this year's Legislative Council ticket, and hopefully something can be put together for next year's federal election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMb3pILpsCk

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

markgreyam posted:

I FINALLY understand why they don't give a poo poo about the environment; because no-one actually owns it. Things (like animals, which are things) don't have inherent value unless they are owned by someone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_privatization

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Endman posted:

As much as I would love to chill out with a pet wombat, the idea that private ownership is the only thing that gives an animal species its value is shockingly stupid.

I don't know what infuriates me more: the idea that the animals he listed are easy to take care of and would make great pets (then again the amount of people who can't even care for a cat or a dog is also infuriating), or that animals only have value if you can trade them on a market. loving hell.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:stare:

Why do we allow libertarians to exist?

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Seagull posted:

Dude on the train with iron crosses and 88 tattooed on his hand.

The shire line is a true hell

wow he has 14 on the other one jesus

Maybe he's just a big fan of King James IV.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Endman posted:

:stare:

Why do we allow libertarians to exist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Cochabamba_protests

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

Its because the cost of compliance and taking him to court is probably higher than what they can recoup assuming they win at all. They have a limited budget and so they go for the easy wins.

Its the same for most regulatory agencies. At the bank where I'm working at now, APRA just calls us in advance to tell us that they're going to be coming down at this date to look at this particular item and to make sure we have everything ready.

Going after the big end of town means saying goodbye to those sweet sweet consulting gigs and directorships when you leave public service.

Twiggy was sued by asic, and won. Can't remember the details, and am phone posting, so you will need to dig up details yourself.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Frogmanv2 posted:

Twiggy was sued by asic, and won. Can't remember the details, and am phone posting, so you will need to dig up details yourself.

Our nobles are above the law, we all knew this already.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Murodese posted:

I think if you're starting a political party with new faces/ideas, taking on the reputation of an older defunct party causes as many problems as it solves. Sure, there'll be a chunk of the population that'll be like "oh those old chaps, I'll vote for them because they were familiar when I was a lad" and get you over the "who the gently caress is this" hump, but you're also going to dissuade a chunk of the population that are still annoyed at said party for their past deeds. No amount of cajoling is going to convince them otherwise, either.

We're not starting another political party, we're reviving an existing one. The Dems were never deregistered in the first place; we've still been around, just lurking in the shadows, waiting for the right time to make a comeback. 2013 would have been that time had RebootD not been a thing. Obviously some people are still sore over the GST, but as I said before, it can always be repealed. From the looks of this thread, there are some people who still like the Dems and would quite like the opportunity to vote for us again.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

ScreamingLlama posted:

From the looks of this thread, there are some people who still like the Dems and would quite like the opportunity to vote for us again.

Not sure where you got that idea. Most people here would be voting greens.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amethyst posted:

I love how libertarians think they are experts on everything. This guy clearly has no idea what "domestication" even means and here he is pulling conservation theory out of his rear end

For what it's worth he's got a vet science degree and worked as a vet for 6 years. He's a qualified crazy person.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For what it's worth he's got a vet science degree and worked as a vet for 6 years. He's a qualified crazy person.

He also has 3 cats so that qualifies him as a crazy cat person.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/18/david-leyonhjelm-wants-native-wildlife-kept-as-pets-to-prevent-extinction

quote:

In a speech to parliament, he argued species disappeared because they were owned by everyone but belonged to no one. As a result there was no incentive for anyone to keep them safe from predators.

The long-term survival of at least some Australian animals is assured because they are kept as household pets in other countries, the senator said.

Leyonhjelm questioned the logic of allowing people to own animals that could kill native wildlife, but not allowing people to protect the prey.

Just as dogs and cats are in no danger of dying out, the same will be true if native animals are privately owned, he said.

He admitted there could be problems with owning some native wildlife, especially those that were nocturnal. That might require us adjusting our own sleeping patterns to enjoy them, he said.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Time for some cutting commentary on the issues of today from First Dog:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The man who quit the Liberal Party over gun control shows he has a limited understanding of things.

Also stop posting First Dog, no one is reading it.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

ScreamingLlama posted:

We're not starting another political party, we're reviving an existing one. The Dems were never deregistered in the first place; we've still been around, just lurking in the shadows, waiting for the right time to make a comeback. 2013 would have been that time had RebootD not been a thing. Obviously some people are still sore over the GST, but as I said before, it can always be repealed. From the looks of this thread, there are some people who still like the Dems and would quite like the opportunity to vote for us again.

Since you're probably aware of what happened: can you explain what the deal was with the two? democrat parties during the last election? I remember hearing that somebody had hijacked the party in one of the states or something?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Honestly, you'd think you could tell just by looking at the name 'RebootD'

Endman
May 18, 2010

Wake me up when the Democrats have once again totally failed to relaunch themselves.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Shoulda gone with iDemocrat

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYvyJTe8iNM

The Most Insane Leader in Australia.. besides Tones

Endman
May 18, 2010

Yautja posted:

The Most Insane Leader in Australia.. besides Tones

I actually hope NSW reelects Baird. If the CSG wells poison Sydney's water supply, we'll be rid of the largest blight on our nation's character.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

I actually hope NSW reelects Baird. If the CSG wells poison Sydney's water supply, we'll be rid of the largest blight on our nation's character.

How will that kill Rupes?

Endman
May 18, 2010

hooman posted:

How will that kill Rupes?

I just assume that once people stop buying the Daily Telegraph, he'll just disintegrate into a puddle of toxic goo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

I just assume that once people stop buying the Daily Telegraph, he'll just disintegrate into a puddle of toxic goo.

:itwasgoo:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-...as-pets/6329674
"Just as cats and dogs are in no danger of dying out, the same will be true if native animals are privately owned. It means they have value."

Ah yes. Just like how domestication of wild birds has stopped their decline in num.... oh wait.... poachers.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ScreamingLlama posted:

Aw. It thinks its still a real political party :shobon:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Would totally get a pet Quokka.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
What are the democrats actually offering here?

If you want a party that stands up for progressive social values but most Australians rabidly hate for no good reason you'd vote green.

If you want a theoretically centrist party that has some decent policies but has totally compromised itself with REALPOLITIK you vote Labor.

If you're an insane person who has no idea about policies and doesn't care for stability you vote PUP.

Who are the democrats targeting here? Someone who really wants a party that has a tarred name like the greens, the right wing compromises of labor and the instability of the PUP? You're taking the worst aspects of 3 things, rolling them together without, as far as I can tell any kind of platform (we can repeal the GST if you want!!), and shouting "Vote for this!".

You're never going to sell anyone here based on history and vague ideals of a party. What is the current Democrats policy platform? What legislative agenda are they interested in pursuing, what are the policies they would really like to see changed, or laws they would like to have introduced?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Nah Quokkas are pesky things that get into cupboards and make messes everywhere. Like seriously, the little fuckers practically have opposable thumbs, and can open bags of chips and all sorts of crazed antics. My sis works on Rotto doing some sort of science poo poo and she's got horror stories of the little buggers antics

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Dems are cool. Rolls off the tongue. I'd vote for dem Dems. Dems dems dems dems dems.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Murodese posted:

Since you're probably aware of what happened: can you explain what the deal was with the two? democrat parties during the last election? I remember hearing that somebody had hijacked the party in one of the states or something?

ScreamingLlama posted:

In 2012, a near-bankrupt money hungry shitstain by the name of John Davey set up his own faction with the intent of taking over control of the party completely, aided and abetted by the then-president of the NSW state division and some other muckety-mucks in the National Executive (ironically, this all happened shortly after I joined the party). Calling themselves 'RebootD' and claiming their aim was to give the Dems a fresh start, Davey and company laid waste to the party's organizational structure and finances EVE-style, including looting $22,000 from the national bank account and hijacking all the web domains, engaging in some truly bizarre correspondence with the Australian Electoral Commission that nearly cost the party's national registration, seizing control of the official social media accounts and using them to slander and bully the living crap out of anyone who questioned their actions, and holding their own separate national executive meetings where they pretended that the Democrats' national president, Darren Churchill, had resigned. After a concerted effort involving the real NE and the AEC, RebootD was given the flick, but three years later we're still picking up the pieces. Needless to say, it cost us the ability to field candidates for the 2013 federal election.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

Who are the democrats targeting here? Someone who really wants a party that has a tarred name like the greens, the right wing compromises of labor and the instability of the PUP?

Anidav posted:

Dems are cool. Rolls off the tongue. I'd vote for dem Dems. Dems dems dems dems dems.

I guess there's my answer.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

As others have asked, why vote for the Dems when the Greens exist?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Dem dems keep stealing my pens. Not in one's or twos but tens. Oh how I hate dem Dems.

Fox socks rocks cocks

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This reminds me* of the people who keep chimpanzees as pets and then one day the chimp goes crazy and kills the owner.

*The wild animals as pets thing, not the democrats, ok maybe the democrats a little bit.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im 'piss' comrades. peace

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MiniSune posted:

Anecdote: With the advent of steam my piracy of games has dropped to zero. And I've been doing it since the TRS-80.

Almost to the point that if it isn't on steam, I could nary give a gently caress even to pirate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Same rule holds true for me, but the rise of steam also coincided with a steep rise in disposable income, so I'm not sure which was the primary driver.

e; thanks ScreamingLlama

• Locked thread