Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

Last night I discovered a friend of mine not only enjoys the prequels more than the original series but thinks Jar Jar Binks is (and I quote) 'hilarious and one of the best parts of the film'.

I was nonplussed, how do you even respond to that? I kind of like knowing someone with such an odd opinion, it's like having a friend that insists gravity is actually tiny invisible elves holding you down. It's clearly bollocks but how the gently caress would you even start to argue?

Cool friend sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

darkwasthenight posted:

Last night I discovered a friend of mine not only enjoys the prequels more than the original series but thinks Jar Jar Binks is (and I quote) 'hilarious and one of the best parts of the film'.

I was nonplussed, how do you even respond to that? I kind of like knowing someone with such an odd opinion, it's like having a friend that insists gravity is actually tiny invisible elves holding you down. It's clearly bollocks but how the gently caress would you even start to argue?

You start and finish that debate in the same way.

With a baseball bat.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I know a person that didnt see any star wars at all until she was in her 20s.

she watched them in order and likes the prequels more too

It turns put shes not actually even friends with us and nobody is quite sure why she started hanging w us

:shrug:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

darkwasthenight posted:

I'll give you an aliby

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Essential Guide to Warfare is awesome and has some neat insight into the structure of Imperial and Rebel forces, as well as diagrams of each major fleet campaign.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

KiteAuraan posted:

So it's like Marvel, where you won't understand poo poo if you don't see all the other movies and read all the companion books? Hah, knew Disney would gently caress this poo poo up even more somehow.

how can you be mad at consistent plotlines across movies. especially avengers poo poo, you don't have to know jack about anybody to understand what's going on in the movies, it's just fluff for nerds who enjoy backstory.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

lol if you're not deeply invested in the multimedia spanning backstory of why the musclemen are punching eachother over the glowy plot macmuffin

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

the rogue one concept art looks like they want to do some kind of downbeat loving star was Nam movie

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/star-wars-rogue-one-concept-art-detailed-113776076869.html

fortunate sun crusher

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Endor was the Empire's Nam.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
so the movie about a fighter squadron is going to a ground war epic? cool

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rogue squadron was a bunch of commandos more or less so it'll probably work

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SaltLick posted:

Rogue squadron was a bunch of commandos more or less so it'll probably work

True enough, though even moreso Wraith.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Endor was the Empire's Nam.

Felucia and Umbara were Republic's Nams.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
LIKE A MYNOCK WITH ITS TAIL ON FIRE!!!!!

I've been listening to all the Zahn books lately. I think I've heard that expression one hundred and fifty two times. I'm getting real tired of hearing it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cyberball 2072 posted:

LIKE A MYNOCK WITH ITS TAIL ON FIRE!!!!!

I've been listening to all the Zahn books lately. I think I've heard that expression one hundred and fifty two times. I'm getting real tired of hearing it.

How many wry eyebrows have you counted?

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Fil5000 posted:

How many wry eyebrows have you counted?

I haven't noticed that one but holy hell are cheeks a-twitching, I'm not even sure exactly what it means, when I twitch my cheeks in the mirror I look insane. Fur is also a-rippling, mainly on Bothans, fur rippling this way and that. I went from Last Command to Spectre of The Past, skipping ten years, Galactic President Bird is just loving hilarious.

Edit:
"Now see here Admiral Pellaeon, I'm just a simple hyper-bird from a backwoods asteroid...

I'm sorry, I thought you was corn."

Mon Mothma in the back there looks like she has ingested a lot of psychedelic mushrooms about an hour before this meeting, that look on her face screams, "Oh poo poo is that hyper-bird real or drug real? Maintain Mon Mothma, maintain."

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 18, 2015

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Was Futurama ripping off the starwars EU with the giant chicken lawyer?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

silvergoose posted:

True enough, though even moreso Wraith.

Betcha new Disney Rogue Squadron is a blend of the old one, Wraith, and Dinner Squadrons.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

RFC2324 posted:

Betcha new Disney Rogue Squadron is a blend of the old one, Wraith, and Dinner Squadrons.

The Wraith Squadron books really were the best. I mean, Rogue Squadron was ok, but they're just so goddamn dour. Wedge has like 0 personality in Rogue Squadron. But in Wraith Squadron, he's organizing 48 hour gambling binges with Han Solo and getting his people shitfaced. Yub yub, commander.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Best part of Wraith Squadron was the logic that led to Lieutenant Kettch. When they were undercover as mercenaries one of them hacked another's radio so their voice sounded like an Ewok. Then the villain they were working for was like "Hey we were listening in on you and one of your pilots sounds like an Ewok?" Instead of just saying "Yeah it was a prank", which in no way would have blown their cover, they immediately concocted an elaborate scheme using an implausible genetic engineering backstory for a fictitious Ewok, and that pilot then always had to fly with an Ewok dummy strapped to his chest. Because I guess only Good Guys pull pranks or something.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Calico Heart posted:

the rogue one concept art looks like they want to do some kind of downbeat loving star was Nam movie

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/star-wars-rogue-one-concept-art-detailed-113776076869.html

fortunate sun crusher

quote:

Note: The images in this article are for illustrative purposes only. The actual concept art has not been made public as yet.

That's a shame

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Tender Bender posted:

Best part of Wraith Squadron was the logic that led to Lieutenant Kettch. When they were undercover as mercenaries one of them hacked another's radio so their voice sounded like an Ewok. Then the villain they were working for was like "Hey we were listening in on you and one of your pilots sounds like an Ewok?" Instead of just saying "Yeah it was a prank", which in no way would have blown their cover, they immediately concocted an elaborate scheme using an implausible genetic engineering backstory for a fictitious Ewok, and that pilot then always had to fly with an Ewok dummy strapped to his chest. Because I guess only Good Guys pull pranks or something.

When trying to give the impression that you are an incredibly competent cut throat pirate group it's generally not a good idea to tell a guy who is essentially the cut throat pirate king that one of your tech experts gave a pilot a goofy voice and then everyone was cool with the pilot flying his mission with said goofy voice.

It kind of ruins your cut throat credibility to go into a mission with a goofy voice over.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
yeah goofy voice overs are way less badass than literal teddy bears

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Fetus Tree posted:

yeah goofy voice overs are way less badass than literal teddy bears

agreed

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Yub Yub. *slits the throat of some poor motherfucker who called me a teddy bear*

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Trevor Hale posted:

Yub Yub. *slits the throat of some poor motherfucker who called me a teddy bear*

Look if they call themselves "Teddies" in their songs I don't see why it's such a big deal when I

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Calico Heart posted:

fortunate sun crusher

Platooine

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Calico Heart posted:

fortunate sun crusher

Now i am just picturing a bunch of stormtroopers flying around in gunship(blaring Jefferson airplane) and adam baldwin is just firing an E-web out the side at rebels. gently caress i want full metal jack star wars.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Calico Heart posted:

fortunate sun crusher

If it ends up literally being Apocalypse Now set in Star Wars then I will officially forgive the prequels, EU and everything else. Bonus points considering Apocalypse Now was originally supposed to be directed by George until he dropped out.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Wolfsheim posted:

If it ends up literally being Apocalypse Now set in Star Wars then I will officially forgive the prequels, EU and everything else. Bonus points considering Apocalypse Now was originally supposed to be directed by George until he dropped out.

There's one EU novel that's pretty much 'Star Wars meets Apocalypse Now' starring Mace Windu. As EU books go it's pretty good.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

TheSpiritFox posted:

You'd think that it would actually require less energy to use the force to smash a star destroyer flat than to literally drag it out of the sky slowly and against it's will.

Then again you'd also think that using the force to throw a fleet of star destroyers across a star system in a matter of seconds would smash the entire fleet flat as pancakes.

Just destroy the engines or reactor with your mind which should be pretty easy compared to pulling it into the ground.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Darth Kurtz

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Chewbaccalypse Now

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Darth Kurtz

I would have gone with Heart of Darthness.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Tatooine... poo poo; I'm still only on Tatooine... every time I think I'm gonna wake up back on the Endor.

When I was home after my first tour, it was worse.

I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the forest. I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute those furry little bastards squat in the bush, they get stronger. Each time I looked around the walls moved in a little tighter.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/19/8257853/star-wars-battlefront-debut-star-wars-celebration-2015

i am excited for new star wars game

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Thats good news, I thought that had ended up cancelled tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fetus Tree posted:

Thats good news, I thought that had ended up cancelled tbh

It was for a little while, before some kind of deal between EA and Disney brought it back.

I'm excited, I had a lot of good times with Battlefront 2. Being a stormtrooper was cool as hell.

• Locked thread