Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Look, when a "trademark dispute" amounts to "well, we have no leg to stand on and also do not in fact own this trademark we are alleging we do but gently caress you we're taking you to court", I would argue that there is in fact no dispute. It's just Sony wagging its dick around because no one's going to bother calling them on it over something so inconsequential.

Dude there is not a company in the whole world who would not have taken the same legal action. This is such stock standard stuff it's hard to see what you don't understand about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
http://www.today.com/money/starbucks-wants-baristas-talk-about-race-customers-2D80552745

"Starbucks Wants Baristas to talk about Race With Customers"
Yes, random employees with no specialized training or public relations experience, please represent our corporation in discussing "the issue of race" whatever the gently caress that nebulous bullshit means.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

VoteTedJameson posted:

http://www.today.com/money/starbucks-wants-baristas-talk-about-race-customers-2D80552745

Yes, random employees with no specialized training or public relations experience, please represent our corporation in discussing "the issue of race" whatever the gently caress that nebulous bullshit means.

I saw that headline this morning and said "huh, that's a pretty good Onion article." Then I opened up Twitter later and no, good god, they're serious about it.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
E: It was stupid of me to dredge this fight back up and I thought better of it.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

VoteTedJameson posted:

Here's your coffee. Did you know that race mixing is the biggest contributing factor to low test scores? Come again!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

VoteTedJameson posted:

that article posted:

"Much of the anti-war movement in the 1960's was fomented in coffee houses," said Larry DeGaris, a professor of marketing at the University of Indianapolis.

Yeah but were those people discussing the issues with the barista? or perhaps it was instead with the friends/colleagues they met at the shop? I feel terrible for any employee who has to follow through with this - my least favorite part of customer service was having to listen to loudmouth customers tell me their very important opinions on the issues.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whole lot of STDH stories are about to get real.

I may not be a scholar of the 1960s anti-war movement but I am pretty goddamn sure it didn't come about because there was one guy who owned all the coffee houses and he wanted everyone to talk about it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm going to start ordering my Starbucks and then adding "gently caress the whites. You feel me?"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

VoteTedJameson posted:

Wow, dumb move in marketing is an understatement here. My favorite Twitter comment so far:

"The last person I wanna discuss race with is a snotty condescending 18 yr old barista that corrects me when I say large instead of venti"

I'd love to see this hilariously backfire. Imagine if they'd already hired some closet white supremacist who rails on a black customer, then shrugs with "what? you told me to talk about race?"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

... barista that corrects me when I say large instead of venti"

Has this ever actually happen?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

I got corrected on it a couple times, but never in a snotty way and both times by friends I was ordering with, long before the "snotty barista" part got added and it became a meme.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PhazonLink posted:

The closest I ever came was them repeating my order for a large black coffee as a venti black coffee.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

PhazonLink posted:

So very very rarely as to be all but "no", and the one time I've actually seen an honest-to-God condescending barista it was obviously a new kid who was all into the "Starbucks culture" and was trying to impress his manager with his superior knowledge of the product.

Manager: "You know what he meant; make the drink. Sorry, dude."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah there are reasons you don't bring that sort of thing up in certain places. When I worked in the restaurant world we had a super fundie come in one day that recognized one of the guys working there as a gay guy (mind you he was totally open at the time). He made a pretty big scene, refused to pay for his meal because it was "contaminated," and demanded that we fire the gay guy and any others we had immediately or he would never come back and would tell all his friends and he is VERY IMPORTANT in the community and would totally ruin us.

He got told to leave and the gay guy never got fired. Most customers were annoyed that the guy caused a scene but there were a few murmurs of "I can't believe they let fags touch the food. Don't they know what those people do?" Business didn't drop at all but I can only imagine deliberately telling employees to talk about hot button issues like race can only cause problems as there are in fact people who will be furious if they find out they're being served by those people or by people who don't hate those people enough. I annoyed a customer one time that asked me how I'd feel if two gay guys were holding hands in my store and I just shrugged and said "not my business, really. What are they hurting?" Yeah I'm talking about gay stuff rather than racial stuff but there are some people with incredibly strong issues on both.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Starbucks near my office corrects me every single time. Without fail, every time I order a small black coffee they ask "You mean Tall?" or when I order a large, "You mean Venti, right?"

It doesn't really bother me, but it seems kinda silly to insist on new names for small, medium, and large. Especially for the more obscure drinks. I ordered a double shot espresso and the barista asked "Is Doppio okay?" and I had no idea what that was, but apparently it is literally just the Starbucks name for a double shot espresso.

Leon Trotsky 2012 has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Mar 17, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

VoteTedJameson posted:

Maybe this is the sort of racial issues they meant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JOGmXpe5I

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Starbucks near my office corrects me every single time. Without fail, every time I order a small black coffee they ask "You mean Tall?" or when I order a large, "You mean Venti, right?"

The few times I've been to a Starbucks, I've always gotten the "Venti" correction. Once, I even got "what size?" "Large." "Venti?" "Yeah, that." "So which size, again?" "LARGE." "We don't have large." Seriously dude at the counter, I'm not gonna fuckin' say it. Hate that Starbucks fake vernacular culture.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The White Dragon posted:

The few times I've been to a Starbucks, I've always gotten the "Venti" correction. Once, I even got "what size?" "Large." "Venti?" "Yeah, that." "So which size, again?" "LARGE." "We don't have large." Seriously dude at the counter, I'm not gonna fuckin' say it. Hate that Starbucks fake vernacular culture.

Outing myself as a fat goon, but for a while McDonalds had small, medium, and extra-large. I ordered a large soda, was given a medium, asked why, and was no poo poo told "we don't have large".

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Outing myself as a fat goon, but for a while McDonalds had small, medium, and extra-large. I ordered a large soda, was given a medium, asked why, and was no poo poo told "we don't have large".

McDonalds in Japan still uses S/M/L for their sizes. Anything with only 2 sizes is always small/medium with no large.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Starbucks near my office corrects me every single time. Without fail, every time I order a small black coffee they ask "You mean Tall?"

There's also a "secret menu" Short option, so for this one, at least, they might have legitimately wanted clarification.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah, when I ask for a small where I am they usually ask whether I want the 8oz "small" or the 12oz "tall". And I could see where people who want a Grande order Large (that's what it means in Italian!), so they have to clarify that too.

Instead of dealing with that ambiguity or saying Starbucks' retarded sizes, you can just say "12/16/20 ounce".

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The real problem is Starbucks is basically telling racists to rant at barely above minimum wage workers

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AlmightyBob posted:

The real problem is Starbucks is basically telling racists to rant at barely above minimum wage workers

This right here. At least since I live in Bumfuck, Ohio it'll be racists telling racists racist things.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah, when I ask for a small where I am they usually ask whether I want the 8oz "small" or the 12oz "tall". And I could see where people who want a Grande order Large (that's what it means in Italian!), so they have to clarify that too.

Instead of dealing with that ambiguity or saying Starbucks' retarded sizes, you can just say "12/16/20 ounce".

Wait, they have three sizes and they call them Small-Small, Small-Large and Large?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"Just saying 20 ounce" is literally what you're doing when you order a venti. You're just doing it in Italian.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Elfface posted:

Wait, they have three sizes and they call them Small-Small, Small-Large and Large?

Their three main sizes are "Tall", "Italian for Large", and "Italian for Twenty". I guess it's a side effect of the fattening of America, since Wikipedia says their original two sizes were "short" and "tall".

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Having worked the opposite side of this, though admittedly not in a starbucks, we need to be clear about what exactly it is the customer wants, as people will try and turn around what they said to get a bigger order or refund like they're trying to trick a genie into granting infinite wishes or something. I'm sure there's pedantic assholes out there, but that's the main reason you get corrected, so that there's no ambiguity about what you want.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"I like my coffee how I like my women: young, black, dumb, and pumped full of cum"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

amityville anus posted:

"I like my coffee how I like my women: young, black, dumb, and pumped full of cum"

The cum will take about two minutes extra, will that be okay sir?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Speaking of stupid restaurant marketing...

I didn't work at this place but it was down the street from where I did at the time. Now, this wasn't a big city and we weren't on a major highway so most of our business was regular locals, especially people out on lunch. Now, lunch hour is only, you know, an hour so people came to us because they could get a hot sandwich in front of them within 15 minutes, tops, or just get the salad bar and eat some soup and fruit and what have you. Mostly they ordered simple things so it was pretty easy to get their food to them and as long as you didn't take forever and kept their coffee full everybody was happy.

Anyway, the other restaurant decided to utterly dominate the lunch rush by creating a new secondary menu of stuff that they guaranteed they'd have to you within 8 minutes or it was free. The promise was only good for stuff on that menu. Now you can already see where this is a terrible, terrible idea for sit down restaurant that wasn't a fast food place. They also kind of left "within 8 minutes of what" dangling. Some people would check their watch when they walked in and start timing from there because I guess it's reasonable for a grilled chicken sandwich to be freshly grilled that fast? Most people understood that it meant "within 8 minutes after you ordered" but some people would deliberately wait to order after sitting down then start bitching that their food took too long. The cheapskates came out of the woodwork on this one. If it was even a nanosecond beyond what they though "8 minutes was" they'd be demanding a free meal, free drinks and oh by the way I'm going to raise hell if you don't make me a second sandwich for free because the first one that I ate literally all of turned out to not be good so make me another one for free.

The most horrible though was people would order one thing off of the fast menu, a bunch of other stuff, then expecting everything to come out within 8 minutes. People were also trying to do that deliberately on things they knew took longer than 8 minutes then bitching when every single thing they ordered wasn't free. It was like if you ordered from the 8 minute menu it was a ticket to a bunch of free food. It was abused to hell and back and the restaurant canned that poo poo pretty loving fast. Nobody ever did tried it again.

What I'd like to know is who though that up and said "this is a good idea we should do this."

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

On the flipside, I work in a fancy non-Starbucks coffee-shop and people coming in asking for a 'tall' or a 'venti' drives me up the wall. It's always the smug bastards who come in and go "Oh I only drink single origins do you have any single origins :smuggo:" "Sure, we're actually an independent roaster and import-" "I'll have a single shot venti soy latte, extra hot. In a takeaway cup." I try not to be a snooty barista but gently caress, some people make it hard.

Guess it's less dumb moves in marketing and more frustratingly successful moves in marketing though.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
As bad as Starbucks is it is in no way worse than Cheba Hut if you have one of those near you.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Speaking of stupid restaurant marketing...

I didn't work at this place but it was down the street from where I did at the time. Now, this wasn't a big city and we weren't on a major highway so most of our business was regular locals, especially people out on lunch. Now, lunch hour is only, you know, an hour so people came to us because they could get a hot sandwich in front of them within 15 minutes, tops, or just get the salad bar and eat some soup and fruit and what have you. Mostly they ordered simple things so it was pretty easy to get their food to them and as long as you didn't take forever and kept their coffee full everybody was happy.

Anyway, the other restaurant decided to utterly dominate the lunch rush by creating a new secondary menu of stuff that they guaranteed they'd have to you within 8 minutes or it was free. The promise was only good for stuff on that menu. Now you can already see where this is a terrible, terrible idea for sit down restaurant that wasn't a fast food place. They also kind of left "within 8 minutes of what" dangling. Some people would check their watch when they walked in and start timing from there because I guess it's reasonable for a grilled chicken sandwich to be freshly grilled that fast? Most people understood that it meant "within 8 minutes after you ordered" but some people would deliberately wait to order after sitting down then start bitching that their food took too long. The cheapskates came out of the woodwork on this one. If it was even a nanosecond beyond what they though "8 minutes was" they'd be demanding a free meal, free drinks and oh by the way I'm going to raise hell if you don't make me a second sandwich for free because the first one that I ate literally all of turned out to not be good so make me another one for free.

The most horrible though was people would order one thing off of the fast menu, a bunch of other stuff, then expecting everything to come out within 8 minutes. People were also trying to do that deliberately on things they knew took longer than 8 minutes then bitching when every single thing they ordered wasn't free. It was like if you ordered from the 8 minute menu it was a ticket to a bunch of free food. It was abused to hell and back and the restaurant canned that poo poo pretty loving fast. Nobody ever did tried it again.

What I'd like to know is who though that up and said "this is a good idea we should do this."

Probably inspired by the 30 minutes or less thing Pizza delivery did before, thinking people would want their food fast and not expect people to be pedantic about time. Of course that stopped when pizza delivery people were getting in crashes desperately trying to make time and pizza companies being liable for the accidents. I forget if that was already talked about in this thread or not but I've seen it discussed in one thread in PYF.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

The cum will take about two minutes extra, will that be okay sir?

Ugh yeah but I don't want to see you standing around pulling your pud when there's coffee to be made.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

As bad as Starbucks is it is in no way worse than Cheba Hut if you have one of those near you.

Wow. Never heard anybody refer to that place on the internet. Sorry about your lovely Cheba hut, though. I've been to two, none of them insist on the nug/pinner/blunt or whatever it's called. I've always just ordered 4 inch, 8 inch, or 12 inch.

For people who don't know what it is, think stoner culture Quiznos. The sandwiches are (mostly) named after kinds of weed. The ones around here have their liquor licenses and microbrews on tap, though. So that's pretty cool.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

amityville anus posted:

"I like my coffee how I like my women"

Flat white.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

sassassin posted:

Flat white.

Racist pedo
Ban this filth

I've mentioned this in the other lovely advertising thread, but what the gently caress is up with the spate of car companies showing off their cars doing things their cars can't physically do? If you have to literally put the word "Fantasy" at the bottom of your ad, perhaps you are no longer advertising the vehicle you think you are. I know it turns me off of the vehicle in the ad, and if it's egregious enough it can turn me off the brand entirely - at least, while the ad is running.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In an effort to 'streamline and personalize' the shipping process, if you go to a Fedex store these days with a package to ship, you don't have to fill out a form. What you do need to do is tell the cashier the address, and phone number, and every little detail from the sender and the recipient verbally, and then they enter it in. And then print out a label for you to double check over. And then actually process the shipment once you okay the address.

For every box. Every time. Because the best way to streamline something is to make it more loving difficult and deal with mumbling people or ones who just pass their phone over with the address or don't want to read the address out loud because people could 'steal' it.

You know what customers want? Shorter wait times. Throw in a second shipping counter in every store and man the gently caress out of it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Just a friendly reminder that at best you're like Paul Rudd in this clip--a miserable unlikable dick--from a movie nearly a decade ago which was making fun of people still angry at Starbucks sizes over 20 years (27 years now) after Starbucks became a regular cultural thing people were aware of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSk0B0dVq4g

I used to work in a Starbucks. I never once heard anyone correct anyone over referring to a Venti as a Large because no one gave a flying gently caress and everyone understood what they meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

bobjr posted:

Probably inspired by the 30 minutes or less thing Pizza delivery did before, thinking people would want their food fast and not expect people to be pedantic about time. Of course that stopped when pizza delivery people were getting in crashes desperately trying to make time and pizza companies being liable for the accidents. I forget if that was already talked about in this thread or not but I've seen it discussed in one thread in PYF.

Way way back, Pizza Hut used to do a lunch rush special, but it was for in-restaurant only. They were smart enough to put a timer on your table once you ordered though, so at least there was nothing to argue over. Plus it was pizza, so it was simple, and not a bunch of different menu options like a regular restaurant.