Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

i don't know maybe he would just grow it back like gohan did multiple times

e.Thank God, new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Why couldn't anyone use some manner of healing power to restore it? Sure it'd be a Deus Ex Machina moment, but it wouldn't have been as awkward and horrible as that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Having never watched GT, I just assumed that when the dragon turned Goku into a kid again, a side effect was that he regrew his tail.

Because he almost always had a tail throughout Dragonball.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Mraagvpeine posted:

And seriously Xibanya, put that poo poo in spoilers!

No. :colbert:

but really what kind of sick gently caress dreamed that sequence up? It's all drawings so none of that poo poo is accidental. If I were Nadolny I would have refused to do that scene. maybe I would have been fired, but then, eventually Nadolny got fired anyway :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Countblanc posted:

You're all being insane babies

Agreed. I put that poo poo in spoiler tags nonetheless, but that's a pretty loving silly and harmless gag.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
This thread is an endless train of wonders.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It made me cringe, but I didn't overreact. I think my mind is numbed to such images.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Beef Waifu posted:

Agreed. I put that poo poo in spoiler tags nonetheless, but that's a pretty loving silly and harmless gag.

Posting stuff from GT is not a harmless gag. It is cruel and malicous unless it's the para para brothers.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Farewell page 286, you can't hurt posters anymore

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

There was no warning. I had no context. It was surprising.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
As someone who watched GT and has an unfortunate capacity to remember way too much about dumb punchman anims I hope all you precious innocent GT-free babus appreciate the severity of this curse we bear after seeing that.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

TriffTshngo posted:

As someone who watched GT and has an unfortunate capacity to remember way too much about dumb punchman anims I hope all you precious innocent GT-free babus appreciate the severity of this curse we bear after seeing that.

I understand, and I honor your sacrifice.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

TriffTshngo posted:

I too salute you for your sacrifice.

:patriot:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think I could've gone the rest of my life without remembering that was a thing that happened in GT.

On a different topic, is it ever explained why SSJ3 is ridiculously draining to the point that Goku can't be in the form a long time, but SSJ4, which is even stronger, doesn't have the same drawback?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 18, 2015

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think I could've gone the rest of my life without remembering that was a thing that happened in GT.

On a different topic, is it ever explained why SSJ3 is ridiculously draining to the point that Goku can't be in the form a long time, but SSJ4, which is even stronger, doesn't have the same drawback?

Super Saiyan 4 is just referred to as that for the sake of having a name for it, it's more like Oozaru Form 2 and has different stuff powering it or whatever

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
goku rear end trigger warning

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So how about we get back to talking about how Lord Slug is a surprisingly good movie, even when the dub adds butt-rock to it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What was up with the weird pseudo-Super Saiyan state that Goku reaches in that movie? It was very odd.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I want to emphasize that GT was my introduction to Dragonball.

I thought Dragonball fans were insane for years.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I woke up from my whiskey sleep to find this thread in disarray, of course it was because of GT discussion.

I've tried to watch GT like a dozen times, and I always quit because it is that bad. I watch awful poo poo for fun, but GT is the kind of bad that is mostly just awful, without any enjoyment to be had. gently caress GT.

Also, thanks for the effort posts Xibanya, they were cool.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Let's just talk about how awesome Tien is going to be in the upcoming movie.

quote:

Bulma: Hey, Bulma here!
Just 31 days until the premiere!
Today we’ve got Tenshinhan!

Tenshinhan: Long time no see.

Bulma: Hey, where’s Chiaotzu?

Tenshinhan: I left him behind. I’ve got no firsthand experience fighting Freeza, but it seems like this’ll be too dangerous for him, even though he’s been training.

Bulma: That’s probably for the best. Safer to leave him back home, like we did with the rug-rats.

Tenshinhan: We can’t let our guard down; this is an enemy even Vegeta was afraid of (even if that was a long time ago). Not to mention the bastard’s bringing 1,000 soldiers with him…Who would have thought his army still had that many people left in it…?!

Bulma: But if you split it up, each of you can just take on 100, right?

Tenshinhan: I can only hope it will be so easy…But this looks like it’ll be my first big fight in a long time. I’ll show the fruits of my training!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He's going to spam his TriBeam and then keel over.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pureauthor posted:

He's going to spam his TriBeam and then keel over.

Yeah for a move that literally kills you he never had much trigger discipline with it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, things involving tails aside, what all was terrible about GT?

I remember seeing it on TV a long time ago and remember being dissatisfied about every fight ending with Goku using a Kamehameha as a Super Saiyan 4 and practically every other character being useless, but that's the only thing I recall off the top of my head.

That and Gohan having a really dumb design.

Raxivace posted:

What was up with the weird pseudo-Super Saiyan state that Goku reaches in that movie? It was very odd.

It's supposed to be some kind of False Super Saiyan state that presumably he transforms into because he doesn't have a power level high enough to reach Super Saiyan.

Goku pulls out more transformations than Naruto does Rasengans.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The movie came out before Goku had gone Super Saiyan against Frieza.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To Frieza

When you come to earth, destroy tumblr.

Kind regards,
Everyone.

Seriously though, tumblr noses are so god-drat off-putting.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurain posted:

To Frieza

When you come to earth, destroy tumblr.

Kind regards,
Everyone.

Seriously though, tumblr noses are so god-drat off-putting.

It's pretty funny in this context though, those blushes say what we're all thinking

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, things involving tails aside, what all was terrible about GT?

I think the biggest crimes of GT are pacing, lack of action, poor use of interesting ideas, reuse of animation in the same fight, lack of animation as a justification for being "too powerful to see" which is a neat idea, but it'd be neater with a visual cue for the audience.

That and the side-cast are just kind of treated like garbage. Goku, Trunks and Pan go on a space adventure and in the end, Goku is the only one who gets to solve anything and he becomes a serious retard being unable to fire a beam unless you do a count-down using food puns. That was when I started feeling it was dragging on at least.

And a lot of situations sort of lead up to making me believe that Pan would be going super saiyan, but they always leave you dry.

The only one in the side-cast struggling against his part as Goku's second is Vegeta and he sorely loses out by the end, despite achieving SSJ4.

If given another try, I think a reimagined GT could actually be a good show, but having the GT name attached to it would drive people away just by the poison in the well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It's pretty funny in this context though, those blushes say what we're all thinking

If they're conveying that they are excited to kick some heads in the new movie and not at all implying their relationship goes past brotherly or -- in some interpretations, father/son--, then yes. But, this is a tumblr piece so...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
One of my favorite small Dragonball details is that everyone has their own flying pose. I'm rewatching Abridged and just noticed that Zarbon flies in T-pose

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if Team Four Star will ever abridge GT and how far they can go before they succumb to the insanity.

I think they said a while ago that they won't do it because seriously gently caress that noise

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Augus posted:

I think they said a while ago that they won't do it because seriously gently caress that noise

Hopefully by the end of Z they'll change their mind...I mean, I plan on rewatching GT at some point, just because there are some good nuggets in that sea of aggressive mediocrity....but it'd be nice if TFS would find all those nuggets for me.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

GT seems like a pretty fertile ground for relentlessly mocking everything for being stupid but DBZA hasn't done a lot of that, it's pretty loving. it would be a big tonal shift to make that work I think

but what else would they do after DBZ anyway? it's not like they're going to do Dragonball

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They've been at this for six years. Maybe by the time they're done DBZ, they'll finally be free.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

YggiDee posted:

They've been at this for six years. Maybe by the time they're done DBZ, they'll finally be free.

Resurrection F Abridged or bust!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I don't think they should do it. With DBZA you can tell their fondness of the source dictates the direction. If they did GT there would be no underlying fondness.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

they can just follow in the steps of the official dubs and redo the entire series with the same voice actors and slightly different dialogue

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If anything GT needs a RedLetterMedia treatment.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The ol' Yeller, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Resurrection F Abridged or bust!

Maybe someday. Not anytime soon, though. I think Toei said they'd send the Ginyu Force to kill them if they did.

• Locked thread