Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Rip Testes posted:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why did Google crush the WP YouTube app, yet on Xbox there is a YouTube app?

Google doesn't sell a game console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Also the YouTube app on Xbox is still really annoying and doesn't mesh with the voice commands, so they still found a way to stick it to you.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Just ordered my Band online. Feeding the gullet of a dying creature. If only the whole program was run less like a soccer mom going through menopause. *PINTEREST EVERYTHING*

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

MobMentality posted:

Just ordered my Band online. Feeding the gullet of a dying creature. If only the whole program was run less like a soccer mom going through menopause. *PINTEREST EVERYTHING*

Don't do it it's quite crappy in this iteration - I sent mine back so I'm an authority on this wait for the next one.

Yes football mum.

I'm confused by the love for WP7/Mango. I deliberately held off on this while they ironed out the creases for WP8. What nostalgia did I miss?

Perhaps now is a good time for a retrospective? *dims lights*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A good example of Mango's advantages in my mind is that it synced your music with the excellent desktop Zune client, and it did this well, quickly, painlessly, optionally wirelessly (!!!) and with few fuckups. Zune owned. WP8's music sync system has always been kind of broken, and it has gotten less broken agonizingly slowly. WP8 brought a lot of technical hiccups like that, mostly related to the inevitable but painful switch to the NT kernel (and the fact that I was not present to find all of their bugs for them, clearly).

In general, WP7 did fewer things but it did them really well. WP8 does more things, but still not very many, and not as well.

MobMentality posted:

WP is still the only part of Microsoft that feels like it's dying to me. The Xbone is a clusterfuck, but it's not really as bad as the Games forum likes to say and it's selling fine, just not quite as well as the PS4. Win10 is looking to be a similar kind of "rebound" OS to what Win7 was after Vista. The Band is an intriguing prototype, but yeah I wouldn't buy one until they make a gen-2 and refine the hardware a little bit.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
http://m.windowscentral.com/microsoft-making-custom-rom-allows-android-smartphones-run-windows-10-phones

This is hilarious. Google takes your services, Microsoft takes your phone.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

This could be a huge move. Even on select manufacturers/models, essentially turns the mobile space into the desktop pc landscape. Buy the hw you want and load Windows on it. Very interesting Microsoft.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

Vintimus Prime posted:

This could be a huge move. Even on select manufacturers/models, essentially turns the mobile space into the desktop pc landscape. Buy the hw you want and load Windows on it. Very interesting Microsoft.

If you can't generate partners then manufacture them.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This works out well for enthusiasts (:toot:) but I don't think it'll help marketshare because the vast majority of people are going to use whatever is bundled on the hardware when they buy it. That's the only reason 90% of people stopped using Windows 95.

If they could get the cooperation of retailers and get them to give consumers the option of choosing an OS at purchase, that'd be something else entirely. But that won't happen.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

A good example of Mango's advantages in my mind is that it synced your music with the excellent desktop Zune client, and it did this well, quickly, painlessly, optionally wirelessly (!!!) and with few fuckups. Zune owned.

I original bought WP7 because it was going to be a replacement for my beloved Zune, and it was great until MS moved on and instead of improving, wrecked it :sigh:

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

loquacius posted:

This works out well for enthusiasts (:toot:) but I don't think it'll help marketshare because the vast majority of people are going to use whatever is bundled on the hardware when they buy it. That's the only reason 90% of people stopped using Windows 95.

If they could get the cooperation of retailers and get them to give consumers the option of choosing an OS at purchase, that'd be something else entirely. But that won't happen.

In theory enthusiasts load it on their phones, love it, maybe help a few friends/family do the same. That becomes a big enough group that the OEM(s) ship a phone with it and people actually buy it. Long shot but it could work. I guess in a year we'll see if this is a "nice try" move or a genius move.

This is very first world problem but I bought a 1520 at launch and haven't had a phone for more than a year since the HTC Touch Pro 2 whenever that was. Haven't used a non-Windows Phone since the Droid X I used for a few months before Windows Phone was released. I'm seriously considering grabbing a Note 4 to play with for a few months until (hopefully) they put out a 1520 replacement when Windows 10 is released. Or I could just not be an impatient rear end in a top hat.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

.Tim posted:

In theory enthusiasts load it on their phones, love it, maybe help a few friends/family do the same. That becomes a big enough group that the OEM(s) ship a phone with it and people actually buy it. Long shot but it could work. I guess in a year we'll see if this is a "nice try" move or a genius move.

Nah, it really won't work like that. Cyanogenmod is already in this position and is not a mainstream, non-nerd option, despite being available for tons and tons of phones. Adding in "you don't get Snapchat or Instagram videos (?) or the Google stuff you've been using for years" isn't going to make it any easier for MS.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Nah, it really won't work like that. Cyanogenmod is already in this position and is not a mainstream, non-nerd option, despite being available for tons and tons of phones. Adding in "you don't get Snapchat or Instagram videos (?) or the Google stuff you've been using for years" isn't going to make it any easier for MS.

Chicken/egg situation. But at least they're trying something. I really don't know if anything other than extremely good luck can turn the app situation around. I hope I'm wrong though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

.Tim posted:

Hey, it worked for Linux. :v:

It'd be actually really funny if in ten years Windows nerds are functionally identical to what Linux nerds were ten years ago.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Vintimus Prime posted:

Android really beat them to that punch.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

loquacius posted:

Hey, it worked for Linux. :v:

It'd be actually really funny if in ten years Windows nerds are functionally identical to what Linux nerds were ten years ago.

The "free for everyone, even pirates" angle does have some serious potential.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

.Tim posted:

Chicken/egg situation. But at least they're trying something. I really don't know if anything other than extremely good luck can turn the app situation around. I hope I'm wrong though.

The other thing is that starting with Xiaomi is crazy. No one in China cares about WP and Xiaomi has succeeded by making iOS/iPhone ripoffs that cost much much less. Turning them into cheap WP knockoffs totally defeats the purpose of Xiaomi, especially when there are already cheap WPs that MS could be trying to sell in China. Or just partner with Xiaomi to make a WP, then you get the brand name and no fuckery with ROMs necessary. The whole notion of relying on enthusiasts to flash a ROM to get WP is so weird, hah.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was pretty sure they used Xiaomi precisely because nobody cares about it. It's a pretty natural testing ground for this kind of idea. See what the effect is on a small scale before you make any decisions about applying it in the general case.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

loquacius posted:

WP is still the only part of Microsoft that feels like it's dying to me. The Xbone is a clusterfuck, but it's not really as bad as the Games forum likes to say and it's selling fine, just not quite as well as the PS4. Win10 is looking to be a similar kind of "rebound" OS to what Win7 was after Vista. The Band is an intriguing prototype, but yeah I wouldn't buy one until they make a gen-2 and refine the hardware a little bit.

As a Windows PC/Android phone user, everything MS has been doing lately has been interesting to me. They got me using OneDrive, I'm kind of interested in using Office instead of OpenOffice, all their other apps are neat, if not exactly for me.

The Windows 10 ROM is a little weird. I would have thought they would make a Windows 10 launcher instead as that would require installing an app versus completely redoing your phone. Maybe they couldn't get it to work right with the Android OS running underneath.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wow. I don't really feel like I have a horse in this race, since I think I'll have to head to an iPhone shortly, but this is pretty drat clever. Best shot Microsoft has to turn the tables here really.

Really reminiscent of Microsofts rise to power on the back of PC clones back in the days as well.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hot drat!

quote:

March 18, 2015

We’re happy to announce that Xbox Music has integrated with OneDrive to allow access to your entire personal music collection from your Xbox Music application for free! As of today, any music files that you upload to your new “Music” folder in OneDrive will start to show up in your collection on music.xbox.com and in the Xbox Music apps for Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1, Xbox 360, and Xbox One – no Music Pass required! If you do have a Xbox Music Pass, you even get an extra 100GB of storage on your OneDrive!

For more information, visit http://music.xbox.com/onedrive

If you have questions or feedback about this new feature, please visit the FAQ or the Microsoft Community forums. Please continue making your feedback about our app known on User Voice, in store reviews, and elsewhere on the Internet. We’re listening!

Thank you for your continued support,

The Xbox Music Team

http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/517320

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Well that's pretty bad rear end.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Wow, that makes so much sense. I created a "Music" folder several years ago and put my music in there. I opened the Windows 8 Music app several times and noticed all of my music was in there. I think it's been that way for months now, I guess they must have rolled out the feature without telling anyone until now.

I really thought they had done this almost a year ago. I clicked the link, and in the folder were my files from several years ago. I also got an email about getting an extra 100gb several weeks ago and I thought that also was a thing that happened to everyone.

FYI it works really well, esp. on tablets with 16-32gb of storage.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

This is basically what Factor Mystic's app does right?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

All of my music is already on OneDrive, so that's another reason to look forward to my 640 in a few weeks. :)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

TopherCStone posted:

This is basically what Factor Mystic's app does right?

Correct. Harmony Music also streams your personal collection from OneDrive. However, it's also no region locked, and there's optional IAP for last.fm scrobbling, both of which which Xbox Music lacks. I also believe that my UI is less glitchy but ymmv. Xbox Music integration also claims a 50k track cap. Harmony Music has no track cap, but I'm not sure what would happen with 1MM+ songs... might get slow.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Welp, if they release Windows 10 for Samsung phones some day, I know what I'm doing to my Galaxy S4 :getin:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

It would be pretty cool to be able to put WP10 onto current-gen flagship Android hardware instead of perpetually waiting on Nokia to release something with last year's specs.

Edit: Which I know this Xiaomi thing isn't leading towards, just saying it would be cool.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 18, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

loquacius posted:

I was pretty sure they used Xiaomi precisely because nobody cares about it. It's a pretty natural testing ground for this kind of idea. See what the effect is on a small scale before you make any decisions about applying it in the general case.

Oh no, Xiaomi is massive in China as far as I know, like leading OEM massive. Doing it with Moto or something would have been much more small scale. Still doesn't answer why they wouldn't just work with Xiaomi to make a Windows Phone directly.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

RVProfootballer posted:

Oh no, Xiaomi is massive in China as far as I know, like leading OEM massive. Doing it with Moto or something would have been much more small scale. Still doesn't answer why they wouldn't just work with Xiaomi to make a Windows Phone directly.

The idea is probably to push a marketing campaign to get existing customers to replace android with wp10 in addition to new customers buying a wp10 device.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Uthor posted:

I would have thought they would make a Windows 10 launcher instead as that would require installing an app versus completely redoing your phone. Maybe they couldn't get it to work right with the Android OS running underneath.

Gross. What the hell, man?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
What regular person is going to learn how to flash a ROM to install an OS that has no apps?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Well I'd say since it's supported officially there'll be a very easy way to install it, they even said that there'll be a service in the stores to do so.

I think it's a huge strategy and it could win them something. They are more and more betting on services and annual payments than "here's $200 for Win7". They want people to use OneDrive with 365 and all that poo poo so that when the end of the year comes and you lose all your documents you'll pay for another year of OneDrive and O365 and well if everyone has a WP it's much easier to do that!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

CubanMissile posted:

What regular person is going to learn how to flash a ROM to install an OS that has no apps?

Probably no one, because it's not meant for regular people. It's meant for "Power users"; people who probably already know how to flash their phones with different roms. They could try WP10 and see how they like it. Most will probably revert, but you could get some interested in the platform. And I love it because this could open up development hardware further for higher end devices. A potential developer can now try the OS on real hardware (on a phone they already own!), instead of having the buy a Lumia.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

orange sky posted:

when the end of the year comes and you lose all your documents

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. They just won't let you upload anything new, your old files are still there.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

TopherCStone posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. They just won't let you upload anything new, your old files are still there.

Yeah I know, but for how long? They're not just gonna keep 200GB of your files eternally if you don't pay. For Azure, for example, they warn you some times and then all your VM's and storage accounts are gone if you don't do anything.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
What's with all the Xiaomi panic? Surely if it's officially supported there will be a big splash screen saying "new operating system y/n?", an OTA update , presumably migration of music and photos and whatnot, 20 mins later after you've eaten your breakfast WP10 or whatever will be there. Why would they make it anything like the bullshit that goes into flashing a ROM?

Also, point the second, what's the harm in doing this?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

Also keep in mind this is for the Chinese/non-US market so you might even have the vendors themselves flashing the phones to WP10 as a way to increase quantity of different good in their store.

Once they have an image that works 100% Xiaomi itself might flash the WP version instead of the Android version on a %. Normally MS would make the OEM do this work (like the HTC M8/M8 for windows), in this care MS is stepping into do the work. As stated this is a big win to get permission from such a large vendor that could increase market share significantly.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Also, it is much, much easier to convince some nerds who already have a specific Android device to flash over W10 to try out (and hopefully convince them to stay/develop for it) then to get them to buy a pure Windows phone. If they released W10 images for Nexus devices, for example, I'd at least give them a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Also, it is much, much easier to convince some nerds who already have a specific Android device to flash over W10 to try out (and hopefully convince them to stay/develop for it) then to get them to buy a pure Windows phone. If they released W10 images for Nexus devices, for example, I'd at least give them a shot.

I'm a nerd that has a Galaxy S4 since Aug '13 flashed with a custom rom just 10 days after buying it. I own a Lumia 925 and I'm gonna flash the hell out of W10 on my Galaxy when I can because I'm a nerd sperg.