Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

the yellow dart posted:

Boulevard Chocolate Ale - Disappointing from them. I thought this was going to be a great belgian but...eh

Past releases of this struck were fine, I guess — not really my thing – but this year's was loving terrible IMO. Like someone had shoved a Kit-Kat down a can of Old Style and left it on the counter overnight.

E: Speaking of KC, by chance has anyone visited/had anything from Torn Label or Border Brewing Company? Both opened in the past few months. Heading down there this weekend and wondering if they're worth our time.

E2: Looks like Border opened last month, exhausted their supply after about 10 days, then closed. Reopening this Friday.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

It was definitely more funky than sour. Not acetic at all. Cherry was a little faded but still present. Pretty great stuff.

Thanks. Maybe just not the best bottle or maybe not stored in the best condition. It was bought off a shelf years after release.

The bottle we had around 2012 or 2013 that was "fresh" is still one of the best beers I've ever had. So much funk, so much cherry. It was fantastic.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

It's an entirely new recipe whipped up by Wayne. Joey didn't think people were getting their money's worth so he wanted to throw in a bonus. We originally wanted them to be 16oz cans but we couldn't get the blanks in time so went with 12oz instead. We also thought about 22oz bottles but realized they wouldn't fit in the bags with the 4 Hunahpu's bottles.

Welcome back! Were you grounded from the internet until there was a successful Hunaphu's Day or something?

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Midorka posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to Burlington Vermont for a day, April first to the second. I would like to know where would be a good place to pick up some Heady? I'm looking at a possible 5 cases total.

Also we'll probably have time for one bar or brewery while there, what should be prioritize?

I read through the whole discussion on "heh, HT was good ...10 years ago", and the only other recommendation was ...Dirt Wolf, right.

Farmhouse is a really great spot as people have said. Fiddlehead is south along route 7. The only problem is it's kind of an annoying route 1 stoplight fest of a drive. And their can releases are usually on Saturdays but you'll be able to have growlers filled.

If you feel like driving a bit Waterbury/Montpelier are great spots for food/suds.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

ExtremistCow posted:

I did hear random bottles of Hunahpu were barrel aged, because breweries hate money.

Breweries also love to confuse their consumers and illegally label bottles of beer that aren't the same as the contents inside. This is one of the dumber rumors out there.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Breweries also love to confuse their consumers and illegally label bottles of beer that aren't the same as the contents inside. This is one of the dumber rumors out there.

Nice try.

ISO: Mystery Barrel Huna
FT: KBBS with "one of a kind wax"

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Heading to Austin until next Sunday, not much beer related stuff going on for me this week, but I'm gonna try and stop by this if anyone wants to tag along.

http://www.foundersbrewing.com/events/founders-tap-takeover-featuring-love-fossil-handlebar/

Latest KBS + Blushing Monk will be on. Of course I could massively regret walking into a bar called "The Handlebar" right in the middle of SXSW...

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

So were there no barrel aged varieties this year? I was waiting for the internet to blow up about the hot new tequila barrel whale or something. Actually, that sounds really good.

krustster fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 16, 2015

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

air- posted:

Heading to Austin until next Sunday, not much beer related stuff going on for me this week, but I'm gonna try and stop by this if anyone wants to tag along.

http://www.foundersbrewing.com/events/founders-tap-takeover-featuring-love-fossil-handlebar/

Latest KBS + Blushing Monk will be on. Of course I could massively regret walking into a bar called "The Handlebar" right in the middle of SXSW...

Protip: KBS-Blushing Monk blends are delicious. Even better than the CBS-Bushing Monk blends we were doing Saturday at Founder's KBS day. The sweetness of each beer almost gets mellowed, I'm generally not into blending but it was really really delicious.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Sirotan posted:

Protip: KBS-Blushing Monk blends are delicious. Even better than the CBS-Bushing Monk blends we were doing Saturday at Founder's KBS day. The sweetness of each beer almost gets mellowed, I'm generally not into blending but it was really really delicious.

We were doing a New Glarus Raspberry Tart + Founders Imperial Stout blend yesterday that was phenomenal. These blends are fully endorsed by me.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Is this year's Blushing Monk worth it? A spot in Jersey has it on tap for growler fill.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Terrapin Midnight Monk Black Belgian ipa is worse than it sounds. Ugh.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Finally tried Straight Jacket this past weekend and yeah, that is an incredibly solid beer.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

lazerwolf posted:

Is this year's Blushing Monk worth it? A spot in Jersey has it on tap for growler fill.

I've only had a 3 year old version to compare to this years, but yeah it was worth a buy.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

lazerwolf posted:

Yes, definitely. It is a top-tier fruit beer.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Had a friend over last night who really enjoys great beers, and popped my last '14 Black Tuesday. Goddamn is that a phenomenal beer. I think it's only downside is it smells super hot, but doesn't drink that way so it's a bit offputting if you have a high sense of smell.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Vertigo posted:

Had a friend over last night who really enjoys great beers, and popped my last '14 Black Tuesday. Goddamn is that a phenomenal beer. I think it's only downside is it smells super hot, but doesn't drink that way so it's a bit offputting if you have a high sense of smell.

Is it as ridiculously sweet as they say? Also did you ever try the rum version?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

crazyfish posted:

Yes, definitely. It is a top-tier fruit beer.

Is it $16+ everywhere? :(

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

ChickenArise posted:

Is it $16+ everywhere? :(

Best price I've seen so far is $14.99, I think 14-16 should be fair.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Probably one of many new pumpkin peach ales:

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

krustster posted:

Is it as ridiculously sweet as they say? Also did you ever try the rum version?

I didn't find it excessively sweet... I found Chocolate Rain much crazier in that category.

I've never had any BT variant other than Rain. I'm excited to try them all this year as I joined the RS.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Quantrill posted:

Probably one of many new pumpkin peach ales

This is my favorite joke and it never gets old ever.

:suicide:

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Quantrill posted:

Probably one of many new pumpkin peach ales:

FFS when are craft beer people going to shut the gently caress up about that commercial. I don't know what's worse, the pathetic butthurt from being mildly ribbed or the fact that they're doing free viral marketing for Bud every time they mention it.

Also pumpkin peach ale sounds like loving garbage

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

This Arbor Framboozled is actually really good. It's apparently a 2013 so it's more sour and less fruity, but I get a hint of the raspberry and strawberry in there. It tastes kind of like a fruitier version of Incorrigible which is one of my favorite sours!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MunchE posted:

FFS when are craft beer people going to shut the gently caress up about that commercial. I don't know what's worse, the pathetic butthurt from being mildly ribbed or the fact that they're doing free viral marketing for Bud every time they mention it.

Here's another local brewery releasing a similiar beer - 8% ABV, 22 ounce waxed bottle:

Bells got label approval for a keg of Pumpkin Peach beer, as well.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Here's another local brewery releasing a similiar beer - 8% ABV, 22 ounce waxed bottle:

Bells got label approval for a keg of Pumpkin Peach beer, as well.

Okay the fact that they actually "beechwood aged" it is pretty hilarious, and Griffin Claw is usually pretty good. Other than that, I agree that the joke ran its course almost instantly.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

MunchE posted:

i haven't even seen the commercial!

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

MunchE posted:

You're also responding to a post by someone who is trolling the forum. I personally check everyone's post history because I don't believe any of you.

In beer news, Parabola hit Chicago :dance:

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Had Hill Farmstead's Society and Solitude #4 last night.... almost as good as Mastermind... same basic premise... so so so so good.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
You all do realize that pumpkin is almost no flavor addition in beer, only body, right?

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I found out what brown ales are for.

Having a 6 of Jupiter in my fridge and drinking through the first two and taking away nothing memorable other than , "Yeah, this is a brown ale" I figured out what to do with brown ales.

Are you ready for this...

Add a shot of your favorite brown liquor.

The neutral palate and semi-sweet and nutty character that's inherent in brown ales pairs really well with (dark spiced or aged) rum, bourbon, rye, and (Probably, I haven't tried it) añejo tequila.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

ChickenArise posted:

You all do realize that pumpkin is almost no flavor addition in beer, only body, right?

I think everyone here realizes that since it's been mentioned pretty much every time pumpkin beers are brought up. It's also pretty common knowledge that "pumpkin beer" usually means "some pumpkin and a bunch of pumpkin pie spices added".

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

dphi posted:

I think everyone here realizes that since it's been mentioned pretty much every time pumpkin beers are brought up. It's also pretty common knowledge that "pumpkin beer" usually means "some pumpkin and a bunch of pumpkin pie spices added".

With peaches? Is that what people think? C'mon goons....

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

ChickenArise posted:

With peaches? Is that what people think? C'mon goons....

I don't know, that's what Elysian's pumpkin peach beer was - peaches and pumpkin pie spices.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
One thing my friends and I have been doing with BBA Imperial stouts or just big stouts that are really good but not great is adding coconut. Take a small portion of the beer and put it in a pan with some toasted cocnut. Heat, but do not boil (no big deal if it actually does though). Then add the mixture to the rest of the beer to a french press. Let sit a minute, press and pour and enjoy some baller rear end beer. Might be a good experiment with Jupiter.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Vertigo posted:

Had Hill Farmstead's Society and Solitude #4 last night.... almost as good as Mastermind... same basic premise... so so so so good.

I got 2 growlers of it this weekend, can't wait to break one/both open. I believe it was the first beer I had on my first trip to Waterbury 3 years ago, so very fond memories associated with it.

I go "skiing" with my girlfriend in Bretton Woods 5-6 times a season, kicking myself for just realizing this year how close of a drive it is from there to HF.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mmartinx posted:

I got 2 growlers of it this weekend, can't wait to break one/both open. I believe it was the first beer I had on my first trip to Waterbury 3 years ago, so very fond memories associated with it.

I go "skiing" with my girlfriend in Bretton Woods 5-6 times a season, kicking myself for just realizing this year how close of a drive it is from there to HF.

So do you go snowboarding or is this just what you say when you go buy weed?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

dphi posted:

I don't know, that's what Elysian's pumpkin peach beer was - peaches and pumpkin pie spices.

this is why we can't have nice things

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

So do you go snowboarding or is this just what you say when you go buy weed?

I have size 15 shoes and I don't want to deal with the frustration of renting boots etc. "Oh please, yeah, we have big boots here, what are you, a size 12?". So I never got into skiing, and when I go up there normally I just hike/cook/read/drink/etc. while everyone else is out skiing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

krustster posted:

This Arbor Framboozled is actually really good. It's apparently a 2013 so it's more sour and less fruity, but I get a hint of the raspberry and strawberry in there. It tastes kind of like a fruitier version of Incorrigible which is one of my favorite sours!

Did you get to try Incorrigible Reserve? Holy hell is that stuff great for the price. It's a fruited version of the Incorrigible, and it's available for a similar price... cheap!

swickles posted:

One thing my friends and I have been doing with BBA Imperial stouts or just big stouts that are really good but not great is adding coconut. Take a small portion of the beer and put it in a pan with some toasted cocnut. Heat, but do not boil (no big deal if it actually does though). Then add the mixture to the rest of the beer to a french press. Let sit a minute, press and pour and enjoy some baller rear end beer. Might be a good experiment with Jupiter.

This sounds really delicious. I've done it with just a french press, but haven't heated it in a pan. Good idea!

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 18, 2015