Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Bookmarked it and shared with some others from my gaming group. This seems super-useful if the search function works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I don't know if anyone even wants this but I had an idea for an image site just for RPG images with tags as a resource for DMing and finding portraits. I finally set one up after discovering software that does pretty much exactly that. You can put in for example: "fantasy cleric mace male" and that should, once all the images are tagged, show every male cleric looking dude with a mace.

The content is just the folder of stuff I have saved from the past 3 incarnations of this thread (I'm not fully caught up on this one though). Might be a few duplicates.

Is this something people like and might use? I could use help tagging things if so. If you want to upload pics or edit tags you can make an account. Also let me know how well it works, or doesn't work if there is a problem.

http://ragea.net/rpgimg

That looks great! I'll be tagging as much as I can.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I'm glad you guys like it. Also, an artist I showed it to is uploading a ton of his stuff which is cool.

Oh by the way: Anything which isn't a proper noun should be all lowercase and you can put an underscore ( _ ) between words if you want to do a space.

Also, the site is friendly with hotlinking!

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 18, 2015

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Inverse Icarus posted:

Near the end of the time we set aside for the discussion, after talking about how wood elves wear their hair or something I jokingly asked, "How much will Skrillex hair feature in our setting?" Everyone laughed except Nate, Creative Director for the company and Lead Developer for the setting.0

I've been painting and sketching for a cyberpunk heartbreaker and noticed that I've subconsciously drew almost all my women with Christy Mack mohawk ponytails. I even have like tons of hair reference images and that's what I keep going to.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Young Freud posted:

I've been painting and sketching for a cyberpunk heartbreaker and noticed that I've subconsciously drew almost all my women with Christy Mack mohawk ponytails. I even have like tons of hair reference images and that's what I keep going to.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I don't know if anyone even wants this but I had an idea for an image site just for RPG images with tags as a resource for DMing and finding portraits. I finally set one up after discovering software that does pretty much exactly that. You can put in for example: "fantasy cleric mace male" and that should, once all the images are tagged, show every male cleric looking dude with a mace.

The content is just the folder of stuff I have saved from the past 3 incarnations of this thread (I'm not fully caught up on this one though). Might be a few duplicates.

Is this something people like and might use? I could use help tagging things if so. If you want to upload pics or edit tags you can make an account. Also let me know how well it works, or doesn't work if there is a problem.

http://ragea.net/rpgimg
This is A Good Thing and I'll throw in some tagging help now and then.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Wow, lots of images have been tagged.

Just for note though to whoever untagged all the images which had "Rykka" as the tag, that is the artist's name, not just a random person who uploaded them. So gonna add those tags back.

e: I put an about box on the side with basic information and messed with some other options. I don't know why the tag and source history buttons don't seem to work because I can see the histories fine elsewhere, will mess with that later.

Sorry for posting so much about it in this thread.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 19, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Wow, lots of images have been tagged.

Just for note though to whoever untagged all the images which had "Rykka" as the tag, that is the artist's name, not just a random person who uploaded them. So gonna add those tags back.

It'd probably be super cool to have a spot for a credit linkback.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

xthetenth posted:

It'd probably be super cool to have a spot for a credit linkback.

Every image has a source field where you can put the artist's name or a link to their website. Tagging artist names can be nice too since you can use that to get a big collection of similarish artwork.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 19, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Every image has a source field where you can put the artist's name or a link to their website. Tagging artist names can be nice too since you can use that to get a big collection of similarish artwork.

Awesome, haven't gotten a chance to check it out in full then.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I'd just like to say that you're a saint and this thing is awesome.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
For real, no need to apologize for posting a lot about something that's really fuckin' cool.

Also, should we start tagging duplicates as such? I dunno if weeding those things out is a priority or what...

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The Crotch posted:

For real, no need to apologize for posting a lot about something that's really fuckin' cool.

Also, should we start tagging duplicates as such? I dunno if weeding those things out is a priority or what...

Funny you should ask, I just turned on the report feature. It's on the left side when you're looking at an image and you can enter a reason such as "duplicate of #####" and it goes into a queue for the admin (me) to check.

The software checks the hash of images being uploaded so duplicates of the exact same file are not likely but I'm sure some got in anyway.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Someone had a collection of art from Brom, Keith Thompson, Luis Royo and Wayne Barlowe helpfully filed by artist so that is now uploaded and tagged with the artist's name and tagme. Another 591 pics in total.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Someone had a collection of art from Brom, Keith Thompson, Luis Royo and Wayne Barlowe helpfully filed by artist so that is now uploaded and tagged with the artist's name and tagme. Another 591 pics in total.

I've tagged a few things, this is a great resource. Thanks man.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Fantasy Cowboy Stuff...

all from the Fantasy Flight Games 3e supplement Spellslinger.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

New stuff on https://ragea.net/rpgimg :

PM system, you can send a PM in a user's profile page. Could be useful if someone keeps tagging something wrong or for any reason you might need to contact another user. In your User Links (left side) it shows a (#) after your profile if you have unread PMs.

Favorites! On the left side in the image controls you can select that image as a favorite. In the User Links there is a button which will just display your favorites. Others can see your favorites through a link in your profile or you can go get that link to share with someone.

The buttons for tag and source history are still broken, didn't get a chance to look too deeply into that yet. It still works fine in the admin page for it so this isn't too critical.

Oh, also those random tags some images have which are like Qt63Ir were somehow added to part of the bulk uploads, I think it was the file names after they passed through Imgur. Remove em when you tag an image.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 19, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Wow that was fast!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Wow that was fast!

I used to collect every image from here that I thought was neat or useful into a big folder but now I'm just tossing them on the site if they aren't already there.

Oh and shout out to Crotch for helpfully reporting duplicates.

Edit: Tag counts are now displayed in all the tag lists, woo!

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 19, 2015

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I am going to add my voice to the fulsome "you are a God" praise. Fantastic!

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
Scifi:

Lofi:

This is amazing, you beautiful person, you.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
For RPGimg, would it be possible to have the page navication buttons at the top as well?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is extremely helpful to me and I've already found some stuff to help my current Feng Shui campaign. Thanks!

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I was just thinking about how useful it would be to have a tagged database of RPG images. I have a whole Dropbox that I can throw in there, hopefully without too many dupes.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This database is just what I needed. Thank you!

Is it cool if we upload 1st party art? I have a bunch from the old WotC online galleries.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

This database is just what I needed. Thank you!

Is it cool if we upload 1st party art? I have a bunch from the old WotC online galleries.

There's several pics from various PHBs on there already (I remember seeing the Battlemind artwork from 4e for sure), so probably go hog wild

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
well my first entry to your wonderful site.

I think it needs better tags. but catgirl seems to be the only existing tag for this thing. maybe turn all of those in there into cat_person instead? I also tagged the artist unless that is a no no.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Is there a way to search by multiple tags on the site? Say I wanted a female swordswoman, is there a way to search for both the female and sword tag?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

djw175 posted:

Is there a way to search by multiple tags on the site? Say I wanted a female swordswoman, is there a way to search for both the female and sword tag?

you type all of the tags in the search bar. works for three tags I can confirm.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I aliased "catgirl" to "catperson". We have a few aliases now which just automatically change the first thing to the second thing if someone tries to use it.

This is what is aliased so far:

apoc apocalypse

armour armor

b&w black_and_white

catgirl catperson

fairy fae

fey fae

girl female

boy male

scifi sci-fi

e: oh and another nice feature of an alias is if someone tries to search for the "wrong" tag it will automatically change it to the right one for the results. So searching for fairy will instead search for the fae tag.

If anyone has ideas for more useful aliases let me know.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 20, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Speleothing posted:

For RPGimg, would it be possible to have the page navication buttons at the top as well?

I'll see what needs changing to make that happen, good idea.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

AXE COP posted:

I was just thinking about how useful it would be to have a tagged database of RPG images. I have a whole Dropbox that I can throw in there, hopefully without too many dupes.

Please don't. I spend too much time tagging untagged images already.

Edit: Seriously. If you got the image from this thread or its predecessor it's almost certainly up there already.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 20, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Since 90% of fantasy artwork features caucasians/white people anyway I think we don't need to tag those, so I'm gonna go through and remove all the tags done that way. Other skin tags are good but avoid doing just the skin color as a tag so instead of "red" the tag would be "red_skin". Super pale skin would be white_skin.

Generally unless an image is overwhelmingly <color> it should be color_something instead of just the color. If it's a thing that is mostly one color like say a red robot, that should be tagged red so people searching "red robot" will get all the red robots.

Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense or sounds like a bad idea.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 21, 2015

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Just posted an image dump from a folder I had. 75% certain I didn't include many (if any) dupes.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Y'all killin' me, here.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Wayback posted:

Just posted an image dump from a folder I had. 75% certain I didn't include many (if any) dupes.

Gah, that was like 400 new images!

I'm glad everyone likes this! A few people have said they found some great stuff to use off it already and that makes me really happy.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I aliased "catgirl" to "catperson". We have a few aliases now which just automatically change the first thing to the second thing if someone tries to use it.

This is what is aliased so far:

apoc apocalypse

armour armor

b&w black_and_white

catgirl catperson

fairy fae

fey fae

girl female

boy male

scifi sci-fi

e: oh and another nice feature of an alias is if someone tries to search for the "wrong" tag it will automatically change it to the right one for the results. So searching for fairy will instead search for the fae tag.

If anyone has ideas for more useful aliases let me know.
I think there's a lot of redundancy with magic... stuff. Like, we've got wizard, spellcaster, sorcerer, witch, and probably eventually warlock. "Witch" is probably pretty decently defined, but gently caress me if you can point out the difference between a wizard and a sorcerer. I dunno if that's something you want to filter or what.

Black_and_white doubles up heavily with monochrome.

Black (or I guess "black_skin" now) doubles up heavily with African.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Gah, that was like 400 new images!

I'm glad everyone likes this! A few people have said they found some great stuff to use off it already and that makes me really happy.

Yea, it is pretty fantastic. I spent about an hour just reloading random pages and getting random pics to tag with whatever jumped to me first.

I can see this getting very popular soon.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The Crotch posted:

I think there's a lot of redundancy with magic... stuff. Like, we've got wizard, spellcaster, sorcerer, witch, and probably eventually warlock. "Witch" is probably pretty decently defined, but gently caress me if you can point out the difference between a wizard and a sorcerer. I dunno if that's something you want to filter or what.

Black_and_white doubles up heavily with monochrome.

Black (or I guess "black_skin" now) doubles up heavily with African.

I've been thinking about how to handle those tags because we do have a few which are emerging sort of like "classes". I'm noticing a lot of stuff tagged fighter (I aliased warrior to that tonight), ranger, wizard (mage is aliased to this now), witch, spellcaster, cleric and so on. Maybe we should settle on a list of archetypes to stick to and alias everything related back to those? Any thoughts?

Having more tags isn't a bad thing like having both wizard and spellcaster means we can tag all sorts of stuff with spellcaster which aren't really fitting for wizards.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
That is a good point. A handful that I tagged I did everything that I felt appropriate to a type, like hunter then ranger or warrior and fighter in some cases. I also did some mage = sorcerer = wizard ones as well. some top level filtering as described seems to be the way to go.

Most of the images I just uploaded were ones I curated maybe half a decade ago when I was trying to make a custom Magic the Gathering set from a D&D setting I was futzing around with.