Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Cars are stupid, nuclear powered hypersonic ramjets are where it's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

Cars are stupid, nuclear powered hypersonic ramjets are where it's at.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

Bomb the enemy, and salt their corpses with radiation :getin:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

Bomb the enemy, and salt their corpses with radiation :getin:

If you're ever in the middle of nowhere in Idaho, I recommend visiting EBR-1 (first electricity generating nuclear power yay):

The big metal things in the lower left are the two test reactors from the Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion program. They're pretty cool to walk around.

You can also see the giant concrete hanger they built for the nuclear planes in the distance and they have a radiation shielded tractor there too.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, I know.

It'd be cool to see one working. Not cool to actually see one going down the road.

I won't rest till I get a nuclear tank powered by the reactor under my crotch~

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So roughly how big a hunk of Plutonium would I need to get a decent amount of horsepower out of an RTG?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

So roughly how big a hunk of Plutonium would I need to get a decent amount of horsepower out of an RTG?

So according to wikipedia "one gram of plutonium-238 generates approximately 0.5 watts of thermal power." so at 750 watts and ~20% thermoelectric efficiency it's ~7.5 kg/HP. Also you need a heatsink that can dissipate the 3.5 kW, so if you want to heat something at the same time it's just dandy.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 6, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

So according to wikipedia "one gram of plutonium-238 generates approximately 0.5 watts of thermal power." so at 750 watts and ~20% thermoelectric efficiency it's ~7.5 kg/HP. Also you need a heatsink that can dissipate the 3.5 kW, so if you want to heat something at the same time it's just dandy.
I sort of like the idea of a 9,000lb, 500HP, nuclear powered muscle car.

Get on it American auto industry.

Edit: And the heater would be fantastic!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I sort of like the idea of a 9,000lb, 500HP, nuclear powered muscle car.

Get on it American auto industry.

Edit: And the heater would be fantastic!

The soviets made a bunch of RTG-powered weather stations and lighthouses and then forgot about them or lost them, you can probably grab some still-functioning RTG's from bumfuck nowhere Siberia and make one yourself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The soviets made a bunch of RTG-powered weather stations and lighthouses and then forgot about them or lost them, you can probably grab some still-functioning RTG's from bumfuck nowhere Siberia and make one yourself.

You'd need quite a few of them to power more than a golf cart, honestly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

You'd need quite a few of them to power more than a golf cart, honestly.

This is true, the best the Soviets made was the IEU-1M, 120 Watts at 1050 kg.

http://www.iaea.org/OurWork/ST/NE/N...m_paper_Eng.pdf

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Any details on the US/Indian nuclear deal? Seems like India might be willing to give manufacturers unlimited liability protection, which has been a sticking point.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

This is true, the best the Soviets made was the IEU-1M, 120 Watts at 1050 kg.

http://www.iaea.org/OurWork/ST/NE/N...m_paper_Eng.pdf

Who the hell wrote that and why do they still say "plumbum" and "wolfram" :psyduck:

VV I kinda figured it was weirdly translated... VV

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 29, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Who the hell wrote that and why do they still say "plumbum" and "wolfram" :psyduck:

Russian researchers, and its still a word in Russia, maybe?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

The Russian word for "Tungsten" is вольфра́м (Wolfram) so it's just a direct translation.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niobium#Naming_of_the_element

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Who the hell says tungsten instead of Wolfram outside America?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

blowfish posted:

Who the hell says tungsten instead of Wolfram outside America?

English is the international language of science and engineering, so... pretty much everybody with a technical background?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

English is the international language of science and engineering, so... pretty much everybody with a technical background?

how about most of the world that's not the USA?

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=wolfram%2C%20tungsten&cmpt=q&tz=

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Half of that is Wolfram Alpha.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Uhhh

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

computer parts posted:

Half of that is Wolfram Alpha.

Almost all of it is. Scroll to the bottom, you see the searches.

code:
Wolfram Alpha - Website	
Stephen Wolfram - Computer Scientist	
Wolfram Research - Computer software company	
Integral - Literature Subject	
Derivative - Literature Subject	
Mathematica - Computer software program	

Queries	
Rising
wolfram alpha 	
alpha 	
wolfram a 	
wolfram mathematica 	
mathematica 	
wolfram integral 	
wolfram alpha integral 	

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

well butts. Didn't consider WA.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

When I learned German, we were taught those names for the elements. Carbon was Kohlenstoff, Hydrogen was Wasserstoff, Oxygen was Sauerstoff, Lead was Plumbum, Tungsten was Wolfram, Potassium was Kalium, and so on (although the IUPAC symbols were used regardless).

Perhaps conventions have changed in the decades since then, but I assumed every language had its own common names for the elements that differed from the English versions.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012
Minor nitpick: "plumbum" is Latin for lead, the German word is "Blei". But yeah, those elements which have been known for some centuries tend to have their own names in different languages.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tungsten is the IUPAC name for the element, so far as I know it's the scientifically standard one?

For the longest time I didn't know wolfram was a thing, I think I looked up some of the elements to figure out where they got their chemical symbols from. Hence W for tungsten.

Also Hg for mercury, best name for an element.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean I knew what they were because I had a rad chemistry teacher who made sure to explain why the heck Tungsten was W or Lead was Pb, and I get other languages using Wolfram (or whatever the language's analogue is), I just didn't realize that it was still somewhat commonly used in English since I've always mentally filed it with other disused or antiquated terms for elements like "dephlogisticated air"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"dephlogisticated air"

Err, guessing that's nitrogen?

Assuming "phlogisticated" in the sense of phlogiston, the pseudoscientific "essence of fire" element which is responsible for all combustible materials?

Edit: Ok no it's exactly the opposite, because obviously phlogiston theory doesn't work in an obvious manner...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Assuming "phlogisticated" in the sense of phlogiston, the pseudoscientific "essence of fire" element which is responsible for all combustible materials?

Edit: Ok no it's exactly the opposite, because obviously phlogiston theory doesn't work in an obvious manner...

Yeah, phloigston is anti-oxygen, basically.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I had to look it up too :v:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

"Dephlogisticated air" was Joseph Priestley's original term for what was later determined to be oxygen. It implied air that had all the phlogiston removed from it so that it essentially sucked the phlogiston out of materials, making them burn fiercely.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Are there any good articles about what the recent drop in gas prices have affected electric vehicle development/sales?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

International scientist here, I can confirm that international collaborations use tungsten, not wolfram

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Solar eclipse on Friday could cause some big problems in Europe:

http://news.yahoo.com/europe-braces-unprecedented-power-issues-solar-eclipse-141647002.html;_ylt=AwrBEiK_VwhVxxAAH4XQtDMD

quote:

If the morning of March 20 turns out to be very sunny -- before the eclipse hides the sun -- the sudden drop-off in production could reach 34,000 Megawatts, the equivalent of 80 medium-sized conventional power plants.

The drop-off in solar-produced energy could be as much as 75 percent if the sky is cloudless before the eclipse, which will cross Europe, from Portugal to Finland, from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm on Friday.

Network operators have put in place unprecedented contingency plans to compensate for what is expected to be a very sudden loss of power from solar sources.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Solar problems.txt

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Clearly the nuclear power plant that's 1 AU away is undependable.(and deadly)

We should burn more coal.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Solar problems.txt

At least an eclipse is the most foreseeable interruption imaginable.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

not in my back yard

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

not in my back yard

Luckily most larger electricity utilities don't have to build in backyards.

How could you even fit a 3 month pile of coal in one?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

PhazonLink posted:

Still causes more cancer than any coal plant I've worked at...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Luckily most larger electricity utilities don't have to build in backyards.

How could you even fit a 3 month pile of coal in one?

I'm not sure if you're serious, but I was making a joke. "NIMBY" (not in my back yard) is a common complain for people who don't want a nuclear power plant anywhere near them, not even in the same state