Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

You're not missing much, the panel mostly consists of Barney Frank rambling and everyone else barely getting in a word edgewise.

Barney Frank being on the panel was the most :psyduck: thing. He kinda seemed genuinely confused about why he was there/why he wasn't talking to Stephen Colbert about his book.

Rob Corddry at least admitted that he's a poop-joke comedian and seemed to try to make the point that Barney Frank was the former Massachusetts rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If I wanted to see comedians being buds and just hanging out with each other and making first draft jokes that aren't sharp or funny, I'd watch an Adam Sandler movie.

Okay, I want four mimes.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know how accurate this is, but those ratings look pretty dire.

How is wrestling still a thing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Because an enormous number of people watch it?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SyRauk posted:

There will always be 13-year old boys.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

If I wanted to see comedians being buds and just hanging out with each other and making first draft jokes that aren't sharp or funny, I'd watch an Adam Sandler movie.

Okay, I want four mimes.

Larry even called himself out on laughing at his own jokes on Monday. That somehow made me even madder. I wish Colbert would hurry up and come back on the air.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

There will always be 13-year old boys.

All I know is something called DOG WITH A BLOG is beating Nightly Show so wrestling being popular is probably not the weirdest thing here.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SyRauk posted:

Let me tell you about a thing called Video Game Championship Wrestling...

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

SyRauk posted:

Wrestlemania season, plus PG wrestling is pretty awesome. Also NXT is great and the indies are on fire.

(though 3 hours of RAW is pretty unwatchable)

raditts posted:

No, you really don't, and "being informed" is not a subjective thing. This is the kind of anti-logic that Fox News runs on.

The only reason to "hear out" the uninformed opinion is so you can proceed to tear it down so other people understand that it is uninformed, which is something TNS doesn't do.

I disagree with this a lot - I think its completely worthwhile for uninformed people to see when people disagree and have people reason it out. Unless it is a debate between politicians or pundits where their jobs are on the line, people will take into account different viewpoints and consider different opinions.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I think they're saying that it's advancing an uninformed opinion instead of being a debate between informed positions.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Neeksy posted:

That whole C-Span Hatewatch bit was fantastic. They executed it perfectly.

Yeah, I just watched it, and it's superb. I hope Stewart leaves the gloves off in his final months on the show, because someone needs to call out poo poo like the human trafficking shenanigans in as plain a manner as possible.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I just watched it, and it's superb. I hope Stewart leaves the gloves off in his final months on the show, because someone needs to call out poo poo like the human trafficking shenanigans in as plain a manner as possible.

Same. I mean he may as well. He'll never be broke again and there's a non-zero chance he'll move on to the production-side of show business even if he opts to stay out of the limelight.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
That was a pretty solid segment but the Romney turn at the end there felt off.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
It's weird seeing Jon be a couple inches taller than his guest.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
It's funny how they didn't talk about the movie at all.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

God, Larry is boring as hell.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I thought the force choking bit was actually funny. :unsmith:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Holy poo poo this point is terrible. "You can't be upset at this problem, because there's another problem somewhere else that might be worse!"

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Straight up asking for new jet cash is pretty baller though

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
That was actually a good 'keep it 100'

Excepting the preacher's question, they were just fluffy questions that sparked laughs.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Toona the Cat posted:

It's weird seeing Jon be a couple inches taller than his guest.

Oh, Robert Reich was on?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

God, Larry is boring as hell.

The only reason I record TNS now is TDS' block runs so damned long (at least on FiOS) that the Moment of Zen almost always falls in the next half-hour block. I honestly wonder if they're making TDS run longer so the DVR numbers show just as many people are watching Larry.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 19, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Prosperity Gospel is a good topic. It's such a weird and lovely thing, and more people need to know about it.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I like how Larry stopped the ex Jehovah's witness from giving out Christian lying tips. I wonder if he was going to say something about lying to yourself and believing it ...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neeksy posted:

Holy poo poo this point is terrible. "You can't be upset at this problem, because there's another problem somewhere else that might be worse!"

Not as bad as "well you know, some people want to be scammed, and who are you to get between them and what makes them happy?"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Prosperity Gospel is a good topic. It's such a weird and lovely thing, and more people need to know about it.

It's the Puritan Work Ethic for a new generation.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Nightly Show is getting better, but the panel segments are still mostly garbage.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

And Larry did nothing to further that. As usual.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Well yeah, but he dismissed it as "1st world problems" with that whole Jesus bit where he's guilting Larry with bad things that are happening elsewhere. He basically refused to look at the topic as something more than a premise for a couple jokes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sair posted:

Nightly Show is getting better, but the panel segments are still mostly garbage.

He finally lost me as a viewer when it was pretty obvious that Barney Frank wasn't kidding about being confused as to why he was on.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

White people sure love grasping at anything that might help them ignore any challenge to their worldview, don't they.

Never mind that nobody is going to ever know exactly what happened and that there are utter shitloads of very explicit examples of unarmed black people being killed by the police (which these same people conveniently pretend never happened when they realize there is no room for argument)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Jons been on a roll lately even if it is tried and true territory.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

He was almost going for the "both sides make mountain out of molehills" false equivalence, but then then veers off and correctly points out the fundamental difference and then the mic drop. That was fantastic.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Didn't they just have Kevin Hart on to plug this lovely movie yesterday?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Michelle Rodriguez is a unique superhero and her superpower is sucking and dying in every movie she stars in.

...and really, the only thing that keeps her from totally ripping off Sean Bean's superpower is that she sucks, so maybe she should take her own advice.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Hey goons, you're on the panel for the Nightly Show right now

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Hey goons, you're on the panel for the Nightly Show right now

Shhhhh they need to concentrate up there

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
drat this part of TNS is the worst it's ever been

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Meg From Family Guy posted:

drat this part of TNS is the worst it's ever been

Yeah... they somehow managed to take Keep it 100 and make it even stupider and a bigger waste of time.

okay, Jean Grey's superpowers/weaknesses being Jean Grey's superpowers/weaknesses saves it a teensy bit, but it still sucks pretty bad.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 20, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Is it bad that I want New Mexico State to win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

IRQ posted:

And Larry did nothing to further that. As usual.

Yeah, you got me there. It's frustrating, but it really feels like Larry is a little in over his head. He doesn't seem to have the ability to tackle bad and bad faith arguments on the spot. Stuff that Colbert could do in his sleep.

What I'm saying is that I miss The Colbert Report.

• Locked thread