Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alakaiser posted:

This is literally the first code I've ever published - I'm not a coder by trade and am slowly building up knowledge based on what I learned from ZZT as a kid and some Javascript I picked up a few years ago. I just googled adfly - is that seriously a thing? :cripes:

(who am I kidding of course it's a thing)

I'm being facetious, because a lot of very good games in recent years have had colossal slapfights between modders. Hopefully this game avoids most of that because the Workshop should short circuit most of the normal whining, but who knows, maybe some sperg will show up who invents a completely new way to ruin everything they touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the game needs graphs and displays for things like traffic that actually show problem areas.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

:shrug:

e: Anygoon can recommend a map sorta like this? I.e. an island with interesting terrain.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, the game needs graphs and displays for things like traffic that actually show problem areas.
Someone make a mod where every time a vehicle times out the Willhelm scream plays, because that's already what it feels like in my head when I am troubleshooting a broken piece of the network and the cars start disappearing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

PT6A posted:

When people post pictures of cool looking cities, could they also attach a traffic map? I want to see just how good/terrible I'm doing in comparison.

My first city, Firston (formerly Firstown), isn't doing too bad traffic wise. Except in the Industrial district and the bottom-most off-ramp in this picture. Not sure what to do about the offramp that doesn't involve building several ugly offramps.

The frontage roads on the highway really helped congestion early on, but I wonder if I should be making them two-way instead of one-way.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, looks like my city has a new traffic problem to contend with.

When that boat down there wants to get to that harbor up there, there's apparently only one way for it to go.

Right through the residential and industrial area.

Then it pulls a nasty 90° drift to get into position and moves sideways into the harbor.

Then it crashes through a bridge for good measure. Marvelous.

Now I just have to figure out why half of my industrial area just died off for some reason.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My first city, Firston (formerly Firstown), isn't doing too bad traffic wise. Except in the Industrial district and the bottom-most off-ramp in this picture. Not sure what to do about the offramp that doesn't involve building several ugly offramps.

The frontage roads on the highway really helped congestion early on, but I wonder if I should be making them two-way instead of one-way.

Frontage roads should be one way, but with u-turns preceding lighted intersections and following any exits from the highway. That will probably fix your broken traffic jams.

e. similar to this, but I like to do it with on ramps to make it even crazier http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407055883&searchtext=texas

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Now I just have to figure out why half of my industrial area just died off for some reason.

Either help industry level up or kill some schools.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Poil posted:

Wouldn't it be a shame if someone were to download their mods and upload them to the workshop? Just saying. :shrug:

Does Steam give a gently caress about "copyright" on user created stuff? If not somebody please routinely upload all of their poo poo. If there's any username labels slapped all over it, please go Ebaumsworld on them and replace all of it with something different, and preferably obscene.

I think I'll buy this game when I have some leftover money, or when it goes on sale, whichever comes first.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

zedprime posted:

Frontage roads should be one way, but with u-turns preceding lighted intersections and following any exits from the highway. That will probably fix your broken traffic jams.

Dumb question, but what do you mean by a u-turn? A way to get to the frontage road on the opposite side?

[edit] Oh, a "Texas Turnaround" huh? I haven't seen these where I live in central California, despite plentiful frontage roads (ours are two-ways though). Neat!

Its funny that lately I've been paying attention to freeway overpasses and interchanges while on the road. It helps that my job involves a lot of driving.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 18, 2015

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Is there a way to have custom tiles (e.g. parks) actually show an image in the scroll menu rather than the generic icon for mod objects? I've downloaded several new parks (love the little 1x1 tiles) and its getting annoying mousing over and guessing which is which without a visual cue.

Haeleus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 18, 2015

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dumb question, but what do you mean by a u-turn? A way to get to the frontage road on the opposite side?

[edit] Oh, a "Texas Turnaround" huh? I haven't seen these where I live in central California, despite plentiful frontage roads (ours are two-ways though). Neat!

Its funny that lately I've been paying attention to freeway overpasses and interchanges while on the road. It helps that my job involves a lot of driving.

My first intersection asset on the workshop was a Texas U-Turn. They are very useful.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There's different ways to use frontage roads but when it comes to quickly servicing industry the good old Texas solution of MORE CONCRETE MORE FASTER works real well.

There's also plenty of room for two-way frontage roads that basically serve as the residential and commercial arms of the highway, but probably not near concentrated industrial areas in this game.

e. a good next step in the more concrete more faster philosophy is to connect those 2 lane side roads you have industry on directly to the frontage road.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 18, 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Alakaiser posted:

Oh hey! One of my mods got put on TotallyMoo's mod collection thing. Truly, I have made it with my code template and three lines of original code.

(okay, there's extra code because of display differences in aspect ratio. Who the hell still uses a 4:3 monitor?!)

I'm surprised no one's caught that from my screenshots/gifs/video :ninja:

I'm still using the same exact monitors I've had since 2006. They still work and I'm too cheap to buy a new one.

Haeleus posted:

Is there a way to have custom tiles (e.g. parks) actually show an image in the scroll menu rather than the generic icon for mod objects? I've downloaded several new parks (love the little 1x1 tiles) and its getting annoying mousing over and guessing which is which without a visual queue.

Not presently

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CO needs to not only fix the icon problem but allow us to create sub-menus and poo poo to organize things better.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

cthulhoo posted:

I'm sure they'll find a way to somehow add dependencies into equation.

One of them reposted the Los Santos save and that has a dependency of using another mod, so they're sorta already on their way.

Poizen Jam posted:

I'm just conflicted because they have a Los Pollos Hermanos and a bunch of NY style W2W tenements created and I don't want to legitimize that wretched community's approach to Cities.

So yes I'm just whining :v:

SAM?

Poil posted:

Wouldn't it be a shame if someone were to download their mods and upload them to the workshop? Just saying. :shrug:

Seeing as how Simtropolis has the Extended Road Upgrade mod on it with a link back to the original workshop page I don't really see why someone couldn't just grab them, put them on the workshop, and link back to the Simtropolis page in the description. Or don't do that last part because gently caress them.

Edit: Searching "pollos" on the CSL Workshop brought up 5 items: 2 signs and 3 restaurants, 1 is literally the one from Simtropolis, with no credit for Simtropolis, but it might be the same guy. I think the other ones might look better though.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 18, 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

At the very least, some kind of rhyme or reason for how saves and items are ordered would be nice. Maybe I'm not catching it, but it just seems to put things in whatever order it feels like based on the wind direction at the moment.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
You know the trident intersection from earlier?

I made a Devil's Trident for merging inward:

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Brightman posted:

One of them reposted the Los Santos save and that has a dependency of using another mod, so they're sorta already on their way.

Seeing as how Simtropolis has the Extended Road Upgrade mod on it with a link back to the original workshop page I don't really see why someone couldn't just grab them, put them on the workshop, and link back to the Simtropolis page in the description. Or don't do that last part because gently caress them.

Just dipping my toes in that forum and I see people asking for the mods/assets to be stripped from steam and posted on their site because they don't want to use steam --- ?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I wish I was more creative with layouts. All my cities end up being some version of Waffleopolis.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Have any of you traffic scientists been able to make note of all the things pedestrians can route through? I know they'll traverse sidewalks, crosswalks, and pedestrian paths. Will they cut through parks and the parking lot parts of buildings, too? I'm trying to figure out how many of my paths, if any, are superfluous.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Slickdrac posted:

At the very least, some kind of rhyme or reason for how saves and items are ordered would be nice. Maybe I'm not catching it, but it just seems to put things in whatever order it feels like based on the wind direction at the moment.
I think I figured out the arcane currents organizing saves, or as close as any mortal can. They are listed alphabetically, then at the end chronologically listed are any made in the current game session.

Canuck-Errant posted:

You know the trident intersection from earlier?

I made a Devil's Trident for merging inward:

The more awful things are put together with 2 lanes and ramps, the more I think busy merge intersections should ruin the health of your cims to represent the godawful car crashes that would result in the real world.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Not sure if it's been posted but someone claiming they're a traffic engineer wrote a whole bunch of words about handling traffic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

deadly_pudding posted:

Have any of you traffic scientists been able to make note of all the things pedestrians can route through? I know they'll traverse sidewalks, crosswalks, and pedestrian paths. Will they cut through parks and the parking lot parts of buildings, too? I'm trying to figure out how many of my paths, if any, are superfluous.

They will only walk on things that are able to connect to the sidewalk textures. Some of the parks are well designed and have built-in paths that extend to the edges, but most parks cims will NOT walk through because the jerks who designed them made them dead-ends. Most of the paved squares look as if a cim could walk through but they can't because there are no actual "paths" included. What we need is an invisible path tool in the lot editor that provides path routes without actually laying down a path so cims can actually cut through squares or between buildings.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
This is a few notes about turn lane usage (which should come naturally using his scheme anyway) from being what should be the official tutorial that pops up like Clippy when you start a new city for the first time.

A little mascot like a Clippy made out of roads would make a good companion for Chirpy too.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Most likely the people advocating for mods posted off the workshop are pirating the game. You see a few in the comments for popular mods begging for it to be uploaded elsewhere, and if you check their profile they seem to be missing a pertinent game. :v:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

zedprime posted:

I think I figured out the arcane currents organizing saves, or as close as any mortal can. They are listed alphabetically, then at the end chronologically listed are any made in the current game session.

Either my game or computer doesn't know the alphabet then (or mods broke something), because "testcity" is above all my quicksaves at the top of the list, and "newsave" is towards the bottom below the quicksaves, and it's not reverse alphabet since "bigcity" is at the top just below "testcity" :psyduck:

And my assets have no order at all, though maybe it's basing off the savefile name, not the asset name in the quickbar, but I haven't looked closely at specifically what I named saves as.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

meatsaw posted:

Just dipping my toes in that forum and I see people asking for the mods/assets to be stripped from steam and posted on their site because they don't want to use steam --- ?

I think everyone, myself included, is angry with them for being rear end-hats for the better part of the last decade regarding sim city 4 mods and poo poo. Looking around on the workshop it looks like most of the stuff they've made is on there or another version of the thing is on there. So while their argument is valid, they're dicks, except the ones that are cross-posting on both sites, they're doing it right I guess.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Not having commercial because of no demand is a bit silly. Now my industrial is dying too - they don't have raw materials to manufacture stuff. They keep closing, abandoning, and reopening. I don't wan to to go full office. I have done nothing to my routes, I have two train depots, lots of outside connections and no congestion. I don't produce wood or food myself - I've tried to, but my city area is not really good for that.

The game is very bad at telling the player what is the problem and what steps the player should consider taking to fix the problem. This is killing my will to play the game at all :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ihmemies posted:

Not having commercial because of no demand is a bit silly. Now my industrial is dying too - they don't have raw materials to manufacture stuff. They keep closing, abandoning, and reopening. I don't wan to to go full office. I have done nothing to my routes, I have two train depots, lots of outside connections and no congestion. I don't produce wood or food myself - I've tried to, but my city area is not really good for that.

The game is very bad at telling the player what is the problem and what steps the player should consider taking to fix the problem. This is killing my will to play the game at all :(

Do they not have raw materials or do they not have customers to sell to? I think you can only export so many goods, eventually the outside world doesn't want your stuff. I try to only make as many goods as my local commercial needs plus a little extra for export.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Most likely the people advocating for mods posted off the workshop are pirating the game. You see a few in the comments for popular mods begging for it to be uploaded elsewhere, and if you check their profile they seem to be missing a pertinent game. :v:

The first Google result for "cities skylines spui" is a torrent site. :psyduck:

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Ihmemies posted:

Get the commercial fix mod. It takes 5 seconds and fixes it.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Has anyone started any university mods that make building an extensive campus possible/interesting?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mods I wish someone would make:

• Snap roads to 45° angles in addition to 90°
• Roads show their grid next to the brush before you start drawing a road
• Night cycle. That was probably the best part of the last SimCity.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

kedo posted:

Mods I wish someone would make:

• Snap roads to 45° angles in addition to 90°

A 'road' that leaves behind its tick marks and shows angle values. Basically a drawing guild line.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

bitcoin bastard posted:

The first Google result for "cities skylines spui" is a torrent site. :psyduck:

Simtropolis for me. I'm not a dirty pirate unlike ~some people~ and Google knows and respects that. :colbert:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Mantis posted:

Get the commercial fix mod. It takes 5 seconds and fixes it.

I guess I need to try it out and hope it doesn't screw anything up. The factories say that they can't get enough materials:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I got the mod that deletes vacants and torched buildings.

Decided I am going to leave my computer on all day with the game running. Will be interesting how things look like when I get back. Maybe nothing bad will happen, maybe my city will be a complete mess?

Here is what it looks like. Should be back in 5 hours so who knows what it will look like.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

The best is when the mod makers respond to that comments saying "Why don't you upload it somewhere else?" by saying "Why don't you buy the game?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Basically a drawing guild line.

A planning tool (a la Prison Architect or Rimworld) would be awesome.