Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Lemming posted:

I think self-driving cars are going to put a lot more people out of work than robot fast food, at least in the near future.

Self Driving Semi trucks and automated cashiers are going to wipe out 3/4 of middle america on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
More good news from wisconsin(and other places)!

quote:

This week, Wisconsin kicked off a series of hearings on Governor Scott Walker’s proposed budget, which would slash about $300 million from the University of Wisconsin system over two years, funnel hundreds of millions to build a pro-basketball stadium, and cut deeply from funds for health care, food stamps and public media.
Funding at UW-Rock County would be stripped back to levels not seen since 1998, and the school’s dean has said faculty layoffs are almost certain. The situation appears even more dire at UW-Eau Claire, where administrators have offered buyouts to a record 325 faculty and staff members — about a quarter of the campus’ employees. These so-called “go away packages” have been offered to nearly half of the school’s political science department. UW-Stevens Point reports they will eliminate several entire majors, even for students currently enrolled in them.
Public primary schools across Wisconsin will lose about $127 million in education aid next year, largely by scrapping a special $150 per-student fund that Wisconsin school districts received over the past two years.

The struggling Milwaukee public schools are set to lose more than $12 million.

Bob Peterson, who taught 5th grade in the Milwaukee Public Schools for nearly three decades, told ThinkProgress that not only are the cuts “breathtaking,” they come as the schools are still reeling from the lost funding in the Governor’s 2011 budget.
Residents of Illinois are organizing against Governor Bruce Rauner’s proposal to cut nearly $400 million from the University of Illinois — taking the colleges back to the funding levels they had in the 1950s even though the student population is three times bigger today. [b]
Governor Bobby Jindal’s proposed $200 million in cuts to Louisiana State University.

The deep cuts are part of the Governor’s attempt to fill a more than $1.6 billion budget hole.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

quote:

slash about $300 million from the University of Wisconsin system over two years, funnel hundreds of millions to build a pro-basketball stadium, and cut deeply from funds for health care, food stamps

Hm, hail satan.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Spaceman Future! posted:

If anything its pretty telling that they have no qualms about blowing a few mil on a lawsuit. If it wasn't still ridiculously more profitable to keep screwing employees and take the PR and Legal hit they wouldnt be dragging their feet. If its worth that much money to them to hold wages down I don't see how anyone could consider their current payment model anything but exploitative and unethical but you will still have people lining up to blow them because they think they're America's next billionaire in waiting once they have their get rich quick idea, any day now.

The McDonalds lawsuit isn't really about minimum wage, it's part of a larger legal issue for them (whether franchisees are treated as individual businesses or part of the greater corporate whole.). The wage ordinance isn't going to come close to costing enough to justify a lawsuit; on the other hand, being held responsible for labor violations absolutely would. This is just an alternative avenue for them to fight "joint employer" status in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Scott Walker has the future on his mind.

His future. Not yours or your children.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Kalman posted:

The McDonalds lawsuit isn't really about minimum wage, it's part of a larger legal issue for them (whether franchisees are treated as individual businesses or part of the greater corporate whole.). The wage ordinance isn't going to come close to costing enough to justify a lawsuit; on the other hand, being held responsible for labor violations absolutely would. This is just an alternative avenue for them to fight "joint employer" status in.

I dont really draw a line between indirect screwing and direct screwing since the net end result is exploitative labor practices that McDonalds is trying to avoid paying more for. The recipient of the increased amount is immaterial to the amount of money mcdonalds is willing to spend to keep the status quo or close to it, which also tells you how much money they think they are making off the current practices which ends up being a pretty sickening amount.

CommieGIR posted:

Scott Walker has the future on his mind.

His future. Not yours or your children.

Walker is taking away money from privileged white liberal students and upgrading locker facilities for minority majority basketball players who have achieved the American dream. YOURE the real racist CommieGIR.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 18, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

There is a solid case that the west is on the precipice of scarcity being a political choice rather than result of circumstances, just like famines are today. But that's a topic for another thread.

On topic, the WSJ this morning decided to run an op-ed from editor Jason Riley arguing black people were better off when lynching was going on than they are today

If you are about to feel smug about this coming from "the world's most read conservative opinion page", the New York Times has hired Razib Khan, an "evolutionary race realist" advocate who has argued that black people are just born dumb.

God dammit it's 2015. Why is this poo poo still around.

Traditional papers are in sad shape and shock articles drive traffic?

That or the editorial boards of these papers don't actually do any work and just rubber stamp terrible decisions that a hint of political awareness and 2 minutes of googling could prevent.

Or they don't think these decisions are terrible at all and we have a much longer way to go toward racial understanding than any of us originally thought.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Spaceman Future! posted:

Walker is taking away money from privileged white liberal students and upgrading locker facilities for minority majority basketball players who have achieved the American dream. YOURE the real racist CommieGIR.

So that they can run around and injure themselves for our amusement.

It's like if you watch Mandingo and think of it as a social welfare documentary.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

haveblue posted:

A computer that can upsell (or have any kind of conversation a human would be completely comfortable with) is right under fusion power and moon bases on the list of things that have been 10 years away for decades.

Yeah, no. I work in eCommerce and our upselling techniques are preeeety awesome. The best tactic is to sell you on something cheap, get your credit card, and then upsell you at that point. Believe me when I tell you that I wouldn't have a job unless I was very good at upselling people via a computer.

Hell, I've been upsold to a large fry at a loving Carl's Jr. kiosk. They're more complicated than burping your order at a cashier, but everyone under 30 seems to use them. Are y'all living in a different world?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Spaceman Future! posted:

I dont really draw a line between indirect screwing and direct screwing since the net end result is exploitative labor practices that McDonalds is trying to avoid paying more for. The recipient of the increased amount is immaterial to the amount of money mcdonalds is willing to spend to keep the status quo or close to it, which also tells you how much money they think they are making off the current practices which ends up being a pretty sickening amount.

The point was more that if there wasn't a segregation between small and large employers in the bill, McDonalds very possibly wouldn't even have challenged it. It's not the wages that they care about (or not as much at any rate - I'm sure they'd rather not pay the higher wages, but not to the point of launching litigation), it's them being categorized as a single entity rather than the franchisees being treated as individual entities.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

So that they can run around and injure themselves for our amusement.

It's like if you watch Mandingo and think of it as a social welfare documentary.

Youre acting like knowing someone who owns Black Dynamite dvd isnt a clear license to raid and pillage low income communities across the country with adequate race card insurance. Which of course makes you a god drat ivory tower racist and bigot, why do you attack our christian nation?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Traditional papers are in sad shape and shock articles drive traffic?

That or the editorial boards of these papers don't actually do any work and just rubber stamp terrible decisions that a hint of political awareness and 2 minutes of googling could prevent.

Or they don't think these decisions are terrible at all and we have a much longer way to go toward racial understanding than any of us originally thought.
It's actually A, they will claim it was B when the people in question cross the line and need to be canned

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which the Fresh Prince calls C-SPAN's Washington Journal program (on the Republican line).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Radbot posted:

Yeah, no. I work in eCommerce and our upselling techniques are preeeety awesome. The best tactic is to sell you on something cheap, get your credit card, and then upsell you at that point. Believe me when I tell you that I wouldn't have a job unless I was very good at upselling people via a computer.

Hell, I've been upsold to a large fry at a loving Carl's Jr. kiosk. They're more complicated than burping your order at a cashier, but everyone under 30 seems to use them. Are y'all living in a different world?

There don't seem to be any Carl's Jr.s on the east coast, so yes, I am living in a different world.

I know upselling can be done as part of an electronic purchase process but he's talking about having the computer replace a cashier and carry out spoken English conversations, which is a whole other ball game.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Spaceman Future! posted:

Self Driving Semi trucks and automated cashiers are going to wipe out 3/4 of middle america on their own.

It'll be great when we reach peak logistical efficiency and driverless semis are delivering freight to employee-free fully automated stores and fulfillment centers that nobody can afford to buy from.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

I was kind of sad when they cut him off.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Kalman posted:

The point was more that if there wasn't a segregation between small and large employers in the bill, McDonalds very possibly wouldn't even have challenged it. It's not the wages that they care about (or not as much at any rate - I'm sure they'd rather not pay the higher wages, but not to the point of launching litigation), it's them being categorized as a single entity rather than the franchisees being treated as individual entities.

Just for background on this for people unaware basically what happened was employees went after McDonald's corporate for the horrible labor conditions, McDonald's Corporate said "Hey, not our problem, we can't micromanage ever single franchise" and the people going after McDonald's corporate said the gently caress you can't, you micromanage ever single aspect of every single franchise down to the soap in the restrooms, you can't play both sides and McDonald's realized they had kind of dug themselves a hole and desperately started trying to find a way out of it.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

haveblue posted:

There don't seem to be any Carl's Jr.s on the east coast, so yes, I am living in a different world.

I know upselling can be done as part of an electronic purchase process but he's talking about having the computer replace a cashier and carry out spoken English conversations, which is a whole other ball game.

Yeah, training people to push buttons on screens and spend small amounts of money with little prompting would take generations of technology to perfect. Now if you will excuse me candy crush has a new level pack. Or I would, if the game talked to me in clear spoken English because somehow that matters when pushing multilingual buttons.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It'll be great when we reach peak logistical efficiency and driverless semis are delivering freight to employee-free fully automated stores and fulfillment centers that nobody can afford to buy from.

It will be safe at least, I'm pretty sure you can burn down an amazon facility without injuring a single human.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 18, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Rhesus Pieces posted:

We're heading there through tragedy of the commons. See the plutonomy memos for details.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Slaan posted:

I could see it working via touchscreen. Make ordering look like a really cool app with a lot of movement and bright colors. The movements and color attract your attention to things on the right side of the screen which summarize your order, but also have a large box with 'hourly deals' or 'the benefits of upsizing.'

code:
CLICK HERE TO GET 40% MORE FOR 10% MORE!
code:
LIMITED TIME OFFER: LARGE DRINKS 15% OFF! 2:30 MINS LEFT!
code:
ADD MCPOINTS TO YOUR ACCOUNT FOR ADDING A SMALL FRY! ONLY 10 OFFERS LEFT, ACT NOW!
Basically, make it look like a Steam/GoG flash sale or daily deal. It'll rake in the impulse money.

You're close, but here's the real secret: achievements! Add an apple pie? Achievement Unlocked: Hot Apple Buy! Upgrade your meal? Little badge you can display on your McProfile (do it ten times for a silver badge)

I'll take my millions now, thanks.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Hell, I've been upsold to a large fry at a loving Carl's Jr. kiosk.

EXTRA BIGASS FRIES

I really hope Rauner is somehow not as bad for Illinois as Walker has been for Wisconsin. Eat poo poo, Scott Walker.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zero_Grade posted:

You're close, but here's the real secret: achievements! Add an apple pie? Achievement Unlocked: Hot Apple Buy! Upgrade your meal? Little badge you can display on your McProfile (do it ten times for a silver badge)

Delete this post before marketing executives see it, you monster

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Radbot posted:

I assume this is some in house stuff your company has developed? Because the COTS stuff I've worked with sucks poo poo, and I haven't seen anything presented that looks much better. Not really the place for it (PM maybe?) but I'd be interested in talking shop about your system, compare your online conversions vs face to face conversions. The fact that we can't get the ecomm to catch up with the store and the shrinking mall traffic really hurt us this year.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mo_Steel posted:

I think wishing death on someone is wrong, so I hope O'Keefe falls down a flight of steps, enters a coma, and when he comes out of it realizes what a tremendous loving rear end in a top hat he is and spends the rest of his life working to help feed poor families worldwide.

What a vile human being.

I don't think wishing death is wrong. I hope O'Keefe dies an extremely graphic, painful, and slow death. I hope it's caught on film and is something entirely of his own doing like getting electrocuted while trying to bug another senator's office.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm sorry, but did Joe really post that the president of Ben Carson's exploratory committee talked about fisting? Did I miss the context there? Was it somehow innocuous?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Delete this post before marketing executives see it, you monster

Its ok, they wont implement badges.. they will impliment TF2 style hats that are visible via AR. If you dont get that mcdouble people will know you're not a dapper gently caress because you wont be seen not leaving your house in your McD Electro Top Hat.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm sorry, but did Joe really post that the president of Ben Carson's exploratory committee talked about fisting? Did I miss the context there? Was it somehow innocuous?

Imagine a completely serious Herman Cain all the way down to the most unpaid intern. You got all the context necessary.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Its ok, they wont implement badges.. they will impliment TF2 style hats that are visible via AR. If you dont get that mcdouble people will know you're not a dapper gently caress because you wont be seen not leaving your house in your McD Electro Top Hat.

Your child's meal can also come with a 3D Printed McDonald's Fun Toy (complete with embedded location chip) for an additional $0.99.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It was from his Twitter archive, back when he was a nobody right-wing shithead instead of a right-wing shithead in charge of a prospective presidential candidate's campaign.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't think wishing death is wrong. I hope O'Keefe dies an extremely graphic, painful, and slow death. I hope it's caught on film and is something entirely of his own doing like getting electrocuted while trying to bug another senator's office.

I vote for just dropping O'Keefe and Chuck C. Johnson on an island in the middle of nowhere with no implements to kill themselves or each other.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yes he did, and yes someone in the campaign (I'm not sure his exact title) did. He had a semi-anonymous account where he would spit the usual freep vitriol you see so often this day. He was smart enough to know you don't say that stuff under your own readily identifiable name, but dumb enough to think he was so smart no one would ever figure out it was him despite his being blatant about it. Anyways one of his posts was about McConnell fisting Obama.

Yep. Primary is gonna be magical.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Federal Reserve ends pledge to be 'patient' in normalizing monetary policy, opening door to rate hike

gently caress. Well, here's hoping the economy is strong enough to keep chugging strongly and they aren't caving early because they are terrified of worker pay increasing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zero_Grade posted:

If I end up starting a massive business, I'm seriously going to include achievements and online profiles. That is a brilliant idea.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Here's a quick and concise read from Kevin Drum that Democrats for whatever reason are still too timid to run with:

quote:

Ed Kilgore:

quote:

I'm increasingly convinced that by the end of the Republican presidential nominating process the candidates will have pressured each other into a Pact of Steel to revoke all of Obama's executive orders and regulations. The post-2012 GOP plan to quickly implement the Ryan Budget and an Obamacare repeal in a single reconciliation bill will almost certainly be back in play if Republicans win the White House while holding on to Congress. Republicans (with even Rand Paul more or less going along) are all but calling for a re-invasion of Iraq plus a deliberate lurch into a war footing with Iran. And now more than ever, the direction of the U.S. Supreme Court would seem to vary almost 180 degrees based on which party will control the next couple of appointments.

This is more personal for me than usual. Scary, too. There are no guarantees in life, and there's no guarantee that MoJo will employ me forever. If I lose my job, and Republicans repeal Obamacare, I will be left with a very serious and very expensive medical condition and no insurance to pay for it. And I feel quite certain that Republicans will do nothing to help me out.

Obviously lots of other people are in the same position, and have been for a long time. But there's nothing like being in the crosshairs yourself to bring it all home. If Republicans win in 2016, my life is likely to take a very hard, very personal turn for the worse.

(Drum was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in October)

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

A lot of supposed political professionals nowadays seem to have a problem recognizing that the entire world isn't a part of their insular ideological bubble and are shocked when not everybody gives them a sly wink or knowing chuckle when their verbal ooze pours out.

E: didn't know that quote was from before he started working for Carson.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 18, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

If I end up starting a massive business, I'm seriously going to include achievements and online profiles. That is a brilliant idea.

You say this like there aren't already massive businesses that include achievements and online profiles. :confuoot:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Federal Reserve ends pledge to be 'patient' in normalizing monetary policy, opening door to rate hike

gently caress. Well, here's hoping the economy is strong enough to keep chugging strongly and they aren't caving early because they are terrified of worker pay increasing.

Suddenly, locking in my mortgage at 4.375% doesn't seem like all that bad of a deal.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Spaceman Future! posted:

You say this like there aren't already massive businesses that include achievements and online profiles. :confuoot:

Didn't Mt. Dew and Doritos dew something to this effect recently?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

Achievement Unlocked: Consume 100 bushels of corn worth of corn syrup and tortilla chips. Skin unlocked: diabetic-mangled feet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gravel Gravy posted:

I think Netflix, Crunchyroll, and maybe Hulu all do this too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Gamification has been a thing for a good long while now (decades if you count loyalty cards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think Netflix, Crunchyroll, and maybe Hulu all do this too.

Hell, my new apartment building that I just moved into has badges that you can earn on the online rent payment portal.

• Locked thread