Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ao Haru Ride is loving terrible though

It's like the polar opposite of My Little Monster which does everything AHR does, but right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Ao Haru is more painfully average than anything, I reserve "loving terrible" for Hot Gimmick.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ao Haru Ride (my phone tried to correct that to So Hard lol) has a lot of dumb drama for drama's sake but the characters grow quite a bit and the ending is satisfying. I'm not going to type a bunch of words defending it because I know it's disliked for good reason, but it is by far not the worst and/or most generic shoujo I've come across. The artwork if nothing else elevates it above that.

Edit: what about that wolf girl and black prince one? I haven't read any of it so I wasn't sure but the concept just sounded like a concentrated helping of douchebag boyfriend tropes which is why I skipped it.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 15, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I remember once reading one about a level 1 heroine doted on by a level 99 demon lord. His lieutenant tried to use their secret weapon to start a coup but it turned out the lord secretly redesigned it into a giant, SD version of the heroine.

It was really dumb.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If anyone is reading Pochamani someone just uploaded about twenty new chapters.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Should I be reading Pochamani? What's it about?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

If anyone is reading Pochamani someone just uploaded about twenty new chapters.

Where? I'm not seeing a thing new.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whoops, maybe they just uploaded a bunch of chapters they didn't have already to Kissmanga, sorry.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Yes you should be reading Pochamani.

Not shoujo, it's josei, but 5 ji kara, 9 ji made is the worst thing i still follow. I like the girl, but the dude just gets creepier and creepier. The newest translated chapter is the worst.

Wolf girl & Black prince is a close second, but i refuse to follow that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nukoduke is getting weird, well weirder

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gnossiennes posted:

From 5 to 9

Yeah this one is bad. I dropped it after reading like 2 chapters haha. I saw it got an update the other day and had forgotten what it was at first and almost read it again until I remembered.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Gnossiennes posted:

Yes you should be reading Pochamani.

Not shoujo, it's josei, but 5 ji kara, 9 ji made is the worst thing i still follow. I like the girl, but the dude just gets creepier and creepier. The newest translated chapter is the worst.

I stopped reading when he held her hostage inside the house because my rule is if I have a strong desire to call the cops on the guy protagonist it's time to put the series down

I hated "Special A" when I was in high school and Shojo Beat was running because there's nothing quite like the premise of "You will never be as good as this guy at everything in life"

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Gnossiennes posted:

Terrible male leads are the worst, and these two series feature them in spades. I'll admit to finding one of the side couples in 5 ji kara, 9 ji made interesting to read [it's Arthur and Momoe, mainly because the latter is pretty funny/great], but the monk is seriously a creep. I don't get how the author thought the locking-up incident was romantic in any way...

Can anyone name some romance series with some awesome male leads or written from the guy's point of view? I've noticed that those tend to have a higher percentage of quality.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

Sekine-kun no Koi is good in a :unsmith: way

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Pastrymancy posted:

exactly like me... except not handsome, intelligent, popular or good with ladies :unsmith:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Pastrymancy posted:

I stopped reading when he held her hostage inside the house because my rule is if I have a strong desire to call the cops on the guy protagonist it's time to put the series down

I hated "Special A" when I was in high school and Shojo Beat was running because there's nothing quite like the premise of "You will never be as good as this guy at everything in life"

Oh god, Special A. It was like a knockoff of Ouran, except zero charm and a sub par anime adaption.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Compendium posted:

Oh god, Special A. It was like a knockoff of Ouran, except zero charm and a sub par anime adaption.

The heroine of Special A was pretty cool, but the series certainly doesn't seem to want you to think that.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Nondevor posted:

Terrible male leads are the worst, and these two series feature them in spades. I'll admit to finding one of the side couples in 5 ji kara, 9 ji made interesting to read [it's Arthur and Momoe, mainly because the latter is pretty funny/great], but the monk is seriously a creep. I don't get how the author thought the locking-up incident was romantic in any way...

Can anyone name some romance series with some awesome male leads or written from the guy's point of view? I've noticed that those tend to have a higher percentage of quality.

last game is mostly from the guy's point of view and he's pretty good, but the girl's dense beyond all reason and some people in this thread aren't crazy about it. also the early translations are kinda bad. i still like it though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My Love Story has the awesomest male lead and is also the best shoujo.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Sakurazuka posted:

My Love Story has the awesomest male lead and is also the best shoujo.
I want to agree with you, but I'll need to double-check.

Hmm.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Yep. Confirmed.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I just finished watching Kimi ni Todoke after binge-reading the whole thing. They were both really good! They really nailed the VA casting for all the characters. I'm also really glad that I read the manga though, the anime's second season getting cut short to 1 cour is kind of sad since IMO that was the best part. I was just so happy in the manga that Ayane got some love from the writer also the part when Sawako started crying after trying to get Shota to kiss her saying "you lied!" was a really good part. . It's kinda like Clannad IMO where the first season is good enough to introduce everyone and do some world building, but the second season is where everything comes together and really shines.

I guess I'm preaching to the choir because I am years behind, but hey!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Pastrymancy posted:

This is seriously good, and I'm bummed out that it hasn't updated since October :smith:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got all excited because I thought Stand Up! finally got a new chapter, turns out it's an extra but is a really nice bittersweet one: 8.1
Haven't read the main story in so long I really couldn't place if any of the characters were related to it or if it completely stands alone.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

I'm loving what's happening in Yona. The author is really attentive in terms of building solid character arcs. They don't just get what they want right away, but have to struggle through challenges to do so and aren't always good people during that process. The antagonists have some degree of nuance at the moment.

This type of writing is hard to find in fantasy manga.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Doukyuusei is getting an anime adaption of some sort, not really seeing a lot of detail about it yet but here's the PV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN7jkjuRY7U

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just read through all the chapters of Yona. It's good! Should I watch the anime??

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I watched the first episode after my binge reading of the manga and wasn't overly thrilled, but maybe that's just because it takes a little bit to ramp up?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Terper posted:

Just read through all the chapters of Yona. It's good! Should I watch the anime??
I've seen all anime episodes so far, but I haven't read the manga so I haven't the slightest clue how well it compares. It's not great but I am looking forward to the next episode.

Everything Burrito posted:

Doukyuusei is getting an anime adaption of some sort, not really seeing a lot of detail about it yet but here's the PV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN7jkjuRY7U
That looks really gay. :v:

(and I kinda want to watch it, is it this comming season?)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Poil posted:

That looks really gay. :v:

(and I kinda want to watch it, is it this comming season?)

No idea, doesn't look like a date has been announced yet.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

It seems like strong princess manga is all the rage now so I'm throwing another one onto the pile

Joou no Hana

It's all the usual tropes but the manga so far has been dealing with them pretty well. The two leads are likable too. The translation and art are a bit ropey at times but they've both been getting better lately. Sekine-kun no Koi is great so far, thanks for that!

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ikeda Riyoko's epic tale of Porand. . http://www.mangahere.co/manga/porando_hishi_ten_no_hate_made/

In the 18th century, The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was an elective monarchy, in which the king was elected by the nobility. The kingdom thrived under its unprecedented in the history of Europe, yet flawed democratic political system. Many difficult trials stand in front of this freedom-loving country. Will democracy yield to tyrrany?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

unprecedented in the history of Europe

By what possible logic does someone reach this conclusion?

E: the translation is stiff and the art is butt ugly

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 21, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What could possibly go wrong in a Horimiya chapter titled "Murderous Desires".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, it could have been worse.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Rodyle posted:

the actual political system poland-lithaunia had was pretty unique as long as you aren't speaking in broad concepts such as monarchy or democracy

coathat
May 21, 2007

Rodyle posted:

Your brain is retarted.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Davincie posted:

the actual political system poland-lithaunia had was pretty unique as long as you aren't speaking in broad concepts such as monarchy or democracy

It was also dramatically and unquestionably ineffective.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Unprecedented in history, you might say.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It was pretty effective at it's primary goal, which was preventing any sort of centralization and ensuring that the landed nobility were able to freely pursue their own interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Xyven posted:

It was pretty effective at it's primary goal, which was preventing any sort of centralization and ensuring that the landed nobility were able to freely pursue their own interests.

Until they got partitioned into Russian and Prussian control, and lost that ability.