Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Azran posted:

So hey, I got two 75% off coupons today in two different accounts. It's, respectively, the 38th (IIRC) and the 10th on the secondary one since August last year. Who wants them?

:catstare:

I will discover your secret, Azran. Just you wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The other day I complained about the PS4 prices in my country and someone told me to buy it with plat :v: It was funny and sad at the same time.

Janana
May 17, 2009

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us
Frost Prime going away, or at least changing how it drops?

Hmm. I have work to do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
One thing to note is how the items they chose to ditch were from the initial release of void missions. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they might even be the entire set from back then. If it was based on popularity or any kind of user data, I'm sure that something other than latron would have been chosen.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I'll pass on Frost Prime, I aquired the BP in the event when they introduced the 'prime' concept and I never managed to farm the parts... I got a selection of other prime frames and gear, but every time I tried to farm Frost the RNG just gives me the finger and makes terrible jokes about my mother. By now I have accepted that I'll never own one anyway.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Feindfeuer posted:

I'll pass on Frost Prime, I aquired the BP in the event when they introduced the 'prime' concept and I never managed to farm the parts... I got a selection of other prime frames and gear, but every time I tried to farm Frost the RNG just gives me the finger and makes terrible jokes about my mother. By now I have accepted that I'll never own one anyway.

if you have the BP then I can give you the rest of the parts. I've got almost 30 of each.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Dahbadu posted:

I wanted to talk more about building a weapon that actually works.

Here's an example of a trap build for the Latron Prime, which is actually the top-rated build listed for the weapon: http://warframe-builder.com/Primary.../2-0-15/44427/0

I can imagine why people think the weapon is just mediocre if they use a build similar to that.

But, wow, 40k DPS! I mean, look at those numbers, right?

Here are the problems:
- How fast can you click your mouse? Can you click it faster than 4 times a second accurately while moving/following a target? What about 7 times?
- Although Heavy Caliber affects on-sheet accuracy, its mechanic is that it actually changes the spread of your weapon the faster you fire it. -55% spread adjustment is nuts on a rifle (with no pellet cone) if you're firing it faster than once a second and you only have 15 shots in the clip.
- No punch-through. So not only will almost all of your shots miss the target unless you're firing purposely slowly, the ones that do hit will only affect one enemy in the group, as opposed to the bunch of them.
- If you unfactor critical hits, this build would at least seem to do more damage per bullet that connects... but it doesn't. On-sheet numbers count the damage from both bullets in the multi-shot. When you fire a rifle with a -55% spread, how often do you think both bullets forking out can ever hit the same target?
- More time will be spent reloading the weapon than actually firing it, if utilizing its rate of fire.
- Although Corrosive is a great damage type, its proc sucks. Viral damage is almost as good as Corrosive (in terms of what units it deals +75% damage to), but its proc is amazing. Also, rifle proc chances are real proc chances, unlike shotgun proc chances which are just fiction. If you shoot 2 bullets simultaneously at something (with near perfect accuracy, so they both hit the same target), each with a 40% chance to proc the on-sheet 60% chance actually means 60%.

i like ya posts dude

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!

Azran posted:

So hey, I got two 75% off coupons today in two different accounts. It's, respectively, the 38th (IIRC) and the 10th on the secondary one since August last year. Who wants them?

I'd be interested in one of those Azran, as I'm new and like the game enough to put a few quid in. I don't quite now exactly how these work though, are they coupons for discounts on buying platinum? Or discounts for buying stuff from prime access?

Basically, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but since I'm looking to throw a few quid at the game I'm up for anything that'll give me discounts on that sort of thing, thank you!

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Kyte posted:

Let's see.. Off the top of my head: Simaris (aka scanner quests + danger room + retaking/previewing mastery tests), Chroma and associated questline, presumably underwater tileset, raid, probably PvP, maybe J3 (I'm not sure if they guaranteed it for a U16 drop), Volt Prime, the standard new set of weapons, anniversary stuff, Sentients, Parkour 2.0.

This came from a mix of stream stuff, trailer stuff, datamined stuff and the teaser site.
J3 probably won't make it in to 16. They said in the Tenno Live stream that they're having problems with the engine and correctly scaling stuff. The devs had to do some weird poo poo to get Archwing to work within the current engine and trying to do both the regular game and Archwing within the same instance causes no end of problems.

They might have to cheat and make the "inside the boss" sections of J3 involve crossing a loading screen, and stuff done in one map might not affect the other, at least not in real time.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh so that's why Archwing mode makes everything about 20% of their regular size.

Hope they can fix it, seamless transition and proper scaling would be great.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
For those that can jump on, there's an orokin reactor invasion with about 40 minutes left, based on deathsnak's estimates.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

landofcake posted:

I'd be interested in one of those Azran, as I'm new and like the game enough to put a few quid in. I don't quite now exactly how these work though, are they coupons for discounts on buying platinum? Or discounts for buying stuff from prime access?

Basically, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but since I'm looking to throw a few quid at the game I'm up for anything that'll give me discounts on that sort of thing, thank you!

It's a coupon for reduced plat prices when you buy plat directly.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Azran

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!

Azran posted:

It's a coupon for reduced plat prices when you buy plat directly.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Azran

Nice, I wasn't sure whether they were discounts for buying platinum or discounts on things you BOUGHT with platinum from the market. That'd be swell, I'll add you on steam this evening.

Just to confirm, my Steam name is 'Cosmo'

landofcake fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 18, 2015

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Latron Prime

So after testing a few things out, I've refined my build a bit and arrived at the following: http://warframe-builder.com/Primary...5-12/en/2-0-15/

Keep in mind that on-sheet DPS doesn't auto-calculate your crit chance factoring in multi-shot similar to how it treats status chance. There's arguments for why it doesn't do this, but in terms of hit-scan weapons with near perfect accuracy, assume that in most cases both shots will always be hitting the same target. And a 37.5% on-sheet crit chance essentially means that there's going to be about a 60% chance that one will be a crit. I was initially against stacking crit multiplier because you can't crit nullifier shields, which play a huge role in end-game. But I read a bit more about nullifier shields, and apparently even if a shot deals more than 400 damage, it's only treated as 400. As your shots already do more than 400, additional base damage doesn't really matter. So build for crit!

Supra

This is another weapon that's overlooked that I feel is quite good if built right. It was my pet project last week. And like the Latron this week, after some work and build tweaking it turned into a legit top tier primary weapon. Although its base mechanics aren't as strong as other top tier weapons, its energy restoring syndicate proc is quite powerful, making it competitive.

Here's my build for it: http://warframe-builder.com/Primary...156-9/en/2-0-18
- On shorter missions, replace Ammo Mutation with a Piercing Caliber, but if you're like me and don't have that, then use a +90% fire or electric damage mod

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been using my Latron Prime quite a bit recently and I like the gun, I do have the Latron Wraith too, which generally is a better build for what? I know that the Latron Wraith has a better crit chance and Prime has status, but does that mean that Prime scales better for later stuff with status procs? how do the weapons compare to the mid to end game content.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
If anyone gets an extra Vasto BP in their quest for frost bits, I'd probably buy it off you or trade it for Frost/Latron/Reaper bits. Wexia in game.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Can we make a terminology clarification that "top tier" weapons don't require >=3 formas? Because if you want to go that route literally every weapon can be top tier (if you want to punch yourself in the dick and wallet), but actual top tier weapons are essentially end game ready at just one forma or potato.

I'm not saying you can't make these weapons good, but it might be better to first compile a prioritized list of low investment weapons before new players start chasing niche, expensive ones.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

I've been using my Latron Prime quite a bit recently and I like the gun, I do have the Latron Wraith too, which generally is a better build for what? I know that the Latron Wraith has a better crit chance and Prime has status, but does that mean that Prime scales better for later stuff with status procs? how do the weapons compare to the mid to end game content.

I don't have a Latron Wraith (I only started playing a few months ago), but I just looked at the stats, and I would build it exactly as I have my Latron Prime built.

Edit:

Looking at the stats of the Wraith, and not having one built up, it's hard to say what would be better in a T4S 30-40 minute survival. They would honestly play very similar.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 18, 2015

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

WebDO posted:

Can we make a terminology clarification that "top tier" weapons don't require >=3 formas? Because if you want to go that route literally every weapon can be top tier (if you want to punch yourself in the dick and wallet), but actual top tier weapons are essentially end game ready at just one forma or potato.

I'm not saying you can't make these weapons good, but it might be better to first compile a prioritized list of low investment weapons before new players start chasing niche, expensive ones.

Eh, this really depends on your mods. When you start putting max heavy cal onto stuff, that basically adds a forma on its own, and it's honestly too much damage to pass up if it doesn't negatively affect the gun too much. Ele mods aren't that cheap either, if you're not really caring about status and using the 11 pointers.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

WebDO posted:

I disagree with this statement that simply forma'ing a weapon enough times can make it top tier. But we're all welcome to our own opinions and you don't have to change your opinion if you don't want to.

Top tier for me means a handful of weapons for a specific slot, factoring in using as many formas as necessary to slot all the mods I would ideally place on that weapon, and once a weapon has all the mods I want on it, its overall performance in high level content in respects to other weapons with ideal modding. Most weapons simply can't come close to the performance of a Kohm, Soma P, Latron P, Boltor P, Supra, etc. -- even with ideal modding -- due to the stats and mechanics of these weapons.

I also don't consider forma to be hard to come by -- just time (or money) gated.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
....Supra? What?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kyte posted:

....Supra? What?
Supra was good back in dmg1.0 for a brief period. But it's not good at all now, on paper or in practice. I say that as someone who put 5 formas in it and used it a ton and had >70% accuracy with it before they made the bullets go where the crosshair is. I like the gun, but on paper and in practice it's outclassed.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Khorne posted:

Supra was good back in dmg1.0 for a brief period. But it's not good at all now, on paper or in practice. I say that as someone who put 5 formas in it and used it a ton and had >70% accuracy with it before they made the bullets go where the crosshair is. I like the gun, but on paper and in practice it's outclassed.

Quoting for posterity.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Denzine posted:

if you have the BP then I can give you the rest of the parts. I've got almost 30 of each.

Thanks, but it's one of the things I want to aquire myself because I 'earned' that BP early on. It's not like I need the prime frost; as it doesn't have any advantage besides the energy-leeching from the void balls anyway so it's not like I'm missing out on any actual performance. Also I doubt it'll be gone forever, it'll reappear in the post-void grind at some point anyway.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
What kind of goon turns down free stuff?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dahbadu posted:

Quoting for posterity.
Did I miss it getting buffed or something?

It does roughly 1/2 to 2/3 the dps of every other decent gun with no compelling perks.

edit: I was a literal supra fanboy and would be a fan against instantly if they buffed it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 18, 2015

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
you missed nothing, Dahbadu just has a unique perspective.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dahbadu posted:

Quoting for posterity.

Yeah as much as I've kept my mouth shut about melee being totes viable, etc, etc, the *SUPRA*? :psypop:

Seriously. The Latron P bits I sort of agree with (outside of wasting mod slots on fuckin' reload speed. really?) But the supra should not be read by anyone as an at all even decent gun, let alone "top tier".

E: Calling it now, next post will be about the top-tier sniper rifles.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 18, 2015

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Do the Vulkar next.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

WebDO posted:

No. There's a ton of guns that with 4-5 forma still can't match a Boltor Prime with no forma.

Also, there are now several guns with special quirks that must be compensated for with mods, and therefore follow a sort of exponential growth curve in response to forma, compared to the more linear response of most weapons.

Kohm and Opticor are probably the two best examples: they have various issues that, with no forma, take up almost all of your mod space to fix and leave no room for the usual damage mods, so their performance is comparable to mid/low tier guns. But you put 4 forma in a Kohm or 5 in an Opticor, and they get much stronger than the aforementioned comparable mid/low tier guns would with the same amount of forma.

Formaing weapons that you're going to use a lot is not a big deal anymore. By the time you've done enough towers to acquire half the primes you want, you'll be swimming in so many forma that you'll look back at the times when you thought ~3 forma was a punch in the wallet and laugh. It's also not terribly time-consuming now that Draco is a thing; just do one or two runs a day and in a few days your weapon is fully formaed without having to grind your face off for it.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Dahbadu posted:

Quoting for posterity.

What is this, exactly? What are you trying to do here?

God knows I've occasionally hit sperglord levels of dedication towards proving my point in chat, but this is a little weird. Are you seriously going to link back to this after a detailed rebuttal so you can call this guy out for being Wrong About Warframe, or am I misunderstanding your intent here?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Male Man posted:

Do the Vulkar next.
i quite liked the vectis but snipers are kinda wuh all around in this game.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Honest question here. Do any of the people here who care about MAX DPS 8 FORMA RAGH RAGH RAGH actually enjoy the gameplay itself? Like the shooting and the jumping and the slashing and the flying and stuff. Because all you guys talk about is the grinding method that gets you the most of whatever for the least interaction with the game and it's kind of alienating. I'm like R9 with a couple of hundred hours played and I just like running around and slashing clone space marines apart or nailing them to walls or whatever; that's plenty fun for me and the way you guys talk about the game sounds boring and lovely and not fun.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I like using the melee over my pro tier guns any day. I like channeling even, mostly cause it means you're hitting a dude so hard they get straight vaporized.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

Honest question here. Do any of the people here who care about MAX DPS 8 FORMA RAGH RAGH RAGH actually enjoy the gameplay itself? Like the shooting and the jumping and the slashing and the flying and stuff. Because all you guys talk about is the grinding method that gets you the most of whatever for the least interaction with the game and it's kind of alienating. I'm like R9 with a couple of hundred hours played and I just like running around and slashing clone space marines apart or nailing them to walls or whatever; that's plenty fun for me and the way you guys talk about the game sounds boring and lovely and not fun.

I can't speak for everyone, but I do the hardcore DPS sperging so I can minimize the time grinding stuff so that I can spend more time doing goofy poo poo. Though a part of me does like all the maximization and grind stuff (I find Draco relaxing for example). Lately I've been putting forma into weapons I like, but aren't particularly good while I fool around with Nef Anyo.

Almost forgot, update 16 is supposedly hitting Thursday, and there's some sort of chainsaw punching weapon. Also Ogris is getting a visual upgrade.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Denzine posted:

What's your in-game name? I need a frost prime systems. I'm nullandvoid0 in-game.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

To some people, maxing mastery and collecting the most of everything is the point of the game. Personally, I don't care much about that; I do like the gameplay and I grind only so that I can be well-established with the tools to do whatever I want in my shootmans sandbox. I grind to get what I want and then stop. I put more forma in a gun when it lacks the 'feel' I want it to have, not because I need to have the objective best of everything.

Talking about grinding is useful so that you can get the mandatory tedium out of the way and get back to the fun part faster.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

NeurosisHead posted:

I have over 1100 hours in this game and even dragged my wife into it. I don't have a single weapon or frame "maxxed out". The most forma I have dumped into a weapon is the Ignis and then its replacement, Amphrex, because they're so goddamn fun even when they're not viable in high level content. Right now my favorite is going through Spy missions and eternally looking for Rime Rounds for my wife because even if the RNG hates me the mission is fun. I formaed the Dual Kama just to change the stance polarity because I like the look of Swirling Tiger's combo.

Don't listen to bitter vets and grouchy people.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They need to make the social areas better so i can sit about doing gently caress all in this game like I did in mmos when i was younger, cause there aint much to do with end game at the mo.

at least I've got a bunch of mods to grind out to max, that's going to be miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Cathair posted:

No. There's a ton of guns that with 4-5 forma still can't match a Boltor Prime with no forma.

This is really the point. There is top tier, which is something that can clear endgame easily with minimal investment, and there is sperg tier which everyone seems to be going full retard for at the moment but makes a difference only in niche situations - if at all - for all practical purposes. For new players, top tier should be the goal (ie: Synoid Gammacor, Vaykor Marelok, and the Kohm in addition to the Boltor Prime). Anyone that wants their precious snowflake build can have it - but should label it as such.

There's nothing wrong with trying to make a bad - but fun - gun less objectively terrible. But calling it one of the best weapons in the game (only after requiring you to sink silly amounts of resources into it) is disingenuous at best.