Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

feelz good man posted:

I use the kitchenaid one. I almost guarantee every bad review about it is caused by people not chilling their meat properly before grinding. I got mine used and I love it.

same. Just do not, under any circumstances, purchase the stuffer attachment. It is bad and does not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feelz good man posted:

I use the kitchenaid one. I almost guarantee every bad review about it is caused by people not chilling their meat properly before grinding. I got mine used and I love it.

I was going to say the same thing about standalone electric grinders. Chill/freeze all the attachments prior to use, have your meat just above freezing, and trim your meat of sinew.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My mom uses a Weston grinder. She likes it, but does not do sausage, so I cant give any input as to that.

holttho
May 21, 2007

I use my Kitchenaid for the grinder and use the stuffer attachments and they work just fine. $10 for two sizes of stuffer tubes. And that's all they are: tubes. You could probably make them out of a cone funnel and some scissors.

Just make sure all the equipment is frozen and the meat is trimmed, cleaned, and exceedingly cold. Be patient, be deliberate, and don't grind directly into the stuffer; the only time I had a bad batch was when I was the problem. I was lazy and didn't clean enough tough bits off the meat and ended up with a sausage full of grit.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

feelz good man posted:

And/or not trimming their meat properly. I find the grinding on the kitchenaid to be fine but not so good for the sausage stuffing.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

good jovi posted:

same. Just do not, under any circumstances, purchase the stuffer attachment. It is bad and does not work.
After making probably fifty pounds or more of sausage since summer, I'm going to disagree with this. It's slower going than a cylinder stuffer, absolutely, but it works. Just keep the meat chilled after grinding and you'll be fine.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I made the bacon in the OP a couple times, and figured I liked it enough that I could do this cured meat thing. I got the Ruhlman book and god drat does it have a lot of recipes in there. I'm incredibly excited to try this poo poo out. I have a beverage fridge that I just started using to age some cheese I made. I figure I can use it for some meats, too, since it's going to be roughly as humid and cool as required for the cheese.

I think I may go for a bresaola first, because I love that stuff, and doesn't seem too tough. Anybody here use the Ruhlman book for that and/or have some advice on it?

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 14, 2015

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Rotten Cookies posted:

I made the bacon in the OP a couple times, and figured I liked it enough that I could do this cured meat thing. I got the Ruhlman book and god drat does it have a lot of recipes in there. I'm incredibly excited to try this poo poo out. I have a beverage fridge that I just started using to age some cheese I made. I figure I can use it for some meats, too, since it's going to be roughly as humid and cool as required for the cheese.

I think I may go for a bresaola first, because I love that stuff, and doesn't seem too tough. Anybody here use the Ruhlman book for that and/or have some advice on it?

I made bresa it was amazing, had no problems making it. You'll def need a machine slicer though to get the slices anywhere near thin enough though.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

Rotten Cookies posted:

Maybe someone with more experience than me can chime in, but it might be a bad idea to age meat in the same place you age cheese because of the potential for pathogen contamination. Might not matter, but it seems like a potential hazard.

eefster
Feb 29, 2008

Daughter of Lilith and of Eve
Grimey Drawer
All of the wonderful results in this thread -- minus mold-leg -- have inspired me to try to make some pastrami of my own. I went to the local butcher to ask about curing salts, and he told me that all of the major curing nitrites/nitrates (KNO2, KNO3, NaNO2, NaNO3) are now considered hazardous materials here in Ireland, and require a firearms license to get. However, I think maybe he meant 'licensed as single ingredients', as he then volunteered to give me some of the salt that they use for their own products.

The problem is that now I have no idea what it is, in what concentration. It's called something like Meatex or Metex, and all of the internet searching I have done only turns up this thread, where someone else is asking what it is and how to use it. Has anyone here heard of it? Any advice? Otherwise I might just order an ordinary NaNO2 blend/Cure #1 from one of the websites that claim to ship to IE.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I get my curing salt from here http://www.designasausage.com/ and its uk based so I'd have thought they'd deliver to Ireland and I'd honestly just do that instead of loving around with what the butcher uses unless its ready to use as is

eefster
Feb 29, 2008

Daughter of Lilith and of Eve
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

I get my curing salt from here http://www.designasausage.com/ and its uk based so I'd have thought they'd deliver to Ireland and I'd honestly just do that instead of loving around with what the butcher uses unless its ready to use as is

Yeah, I think you might be right. Between designasausage, sausagemaking, and even Amazon, I ought to be able to find someone who'll ship here. Thanks!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I pancetta'd:

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Quick question: I recently made some bacon using the dry cure in the first post, and all my friends that tasted it said that it had a faint metallic taste to it. I'm pretty sure it came from the fridge, but I wanted to know if anyone else had a similar problem.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Stringent posted:

I pancetta'd:

holy poo poo dude

vannevar
Jan 27, 2013

The war goes on.
I'm about halfway through making the bacon from the OP (I'll post a trip report when I'm done) but I thought I'd ask here first, since I'm sure some of the thread regulars will have opinions: I have never had, much less made, a pork rind in my life. What's the best way to turn my pork belly skin into crackling?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

vannevar posted:

I'm about halfway through making the bacon from the OP (I'll post a trip report when I'm done) but I thought I'd ask here first, since I'm sure some of the thread regulars will have opinions: I have never had, much less made, a pork rind in my life. What's the best way to turn my pork belly skin into crackling?

It really depends. Traditionally just deep fry those bitches. This can lead to a rock hard skin sometimes.

I found a place online and tried their recipe once. It worked really well.
Cut the skin (with fat attached) into 1 inch strips, boil it in water for 30 minutes on a low boil. This will break down the skin fibers and render some of the fat.
Drain and dry, salt and season them, then transfer to 250 degree oven for an hour, then crank it to 400 until you hit the color and texture you want.

I find them delicious

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

I pancetta'd:

Holy mother of god. Please post everything you used. Leave nothing out.

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)

Stringent posted:

I pancetta'd:

mmmmmMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. mm

holttho
May 21, 2007

Stringent posted:

I pancetta'd:

According to my analysis, the secret ingredient is... LOVE?! Alright, who's been messing with this thing?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
like honestly i've spent time living in rural italy and spain and that looks as good as the best pancetta and guanciale i've seen in my life

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

wheez the roux posted:

like honestly i've spent time living in rural italy and spain and that looks as good as the best pancetta and guanciale i've seen in my life

Wow, that's certainly good to hear. This is my 3rd and best attempt to date. My wife got me a little wine fridge I've been using to cure stuff in and I think that helped a lot.

The recipe is straight from Ruhlman's book, the only slight change I made was not peppering the outside as much as the recipe calls for.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've got Charcuterie on the way, and will be making a corned beef/pastrami tongue.

My only concern on the tongue pastrami would be the bark. The membrane is usually a bitch to peel off until the tongue has been cooked, but if you were to rub then smoke the tongue 'til done, like SOP, you'd peel the bark off. Is there an easier way to peel the tongue so it can be rubbed then smoked like a proper pastrami right after curing?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I am brand new to this, and am just starting to assemble a kit to do some home curing. I'm ordering the Ruhlman book now, but I was wondering if anyone knows of good recipes that one can do with a goat leg. Thoughts?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trig Discipline posted:

I am brand new to this, and am just starting to assemble a kit to do some home curing. I'm ordering the Ruhlman book now, but I was wondering if anyone knows of good recipes that one can do with a goat leg. Thoughts?

Is it a front right? I have a goat that needs a new one. I'll swap ya for it.

Realtalk, slaughtering a pig for my birthday. Assembling simple charcuterie recipes now. Anyone have a simple favorite for country ham? I can access a hot smoker.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 14, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is it a front right? I have a goat that needs a new one. I'll swap ya for it.

No deal, I found a recipe. You'll just have to leave your goat up on blocks for now.

http://honest-food.net/2009/07/21/goat-ham-anyone/

Suspect Bucket posted:

Realtalk, slaughtering a pig for my birthday.

:stare: Most people would just get a stripper or something.

vannevar
Jan 27, 2013

The war goes on.

Thank you, Ruhlman.
(Bacon pics still yet to come, as I haven't had the chance to do any photo editing.)

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Cimber posted:

I was flipping thought the channels the other day and caught "The Chef's mind" or some such thing on PBS. The were walking though a Kentucky smoke house where they age hams 12 or 18 months.

Then they sliced some open and it looked almost exactly like prosciutto. My taste buds started to water a bit, so i looked online and found the smoke house.

http://www.newsomscountryham.com/agkencounham.html

Yes, the web page is godawful.

100 bucks for a ham? Holy poo poo, are they really that worth it? What would I do with a ham like that?

Generally speaking, the worse the website/pamphlet, the better the meat.

And yes, they're worth it.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
If you can can get it, this is by far the best drat ham I've ever had.

http://www.edwardsvaham.com/product/bone-in-surryano-ham/surryano-ham

They had several of the bone in ones at our companies holiday party last year and it was just beyond loving delicious, I went back to that station more times than I probably should have.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
$100 for a really good ham isn't bad at all. The wife and I got a chance to knock around Spain for a few weeks in November, and the really good hams there run 300-500 Euros.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

$100 for a really good ham isn't bad at all. The wife and I got a chance to knock around Spain for a few weeks in November, and the really good hams there run 300-500 Euros.

poo poo I was looking at some jamon iberico that they were charging $50 for 3 ounces for.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

poo poo I was looking at some jamon iberico that they were charging $50 for 3 ounces for.

Were you in Spain? I've seen it cost that much here in Australia and in the USA, but I didn't see any quite that expensive while I was in Spain. Funny thing is that I've never had Iberico anywhere not-Spain that I actually thought tasted right. I think they mostly export the stuff that's gone a bit rancid because they assume foreigners can't tell the difference. I've only shelled out the money for Iberico a few times though, so I may have just gotten unlucky.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Were you in Spain? I've seen it cost that much here in Australia and in the USA, but I didn't see any quite that expensive while I was in Spain. Funny thing is that I've never had Iberico anywhere not-Spain that I actually thought tasted right. I think they mostly export the stuff that's gone a bit rancid because they assume foreigners can't tell the difference. I've only shelled out the money for Iberico a few times though, so I may have just gotten unlucky.

No I'm talking getting it in the US. I assume it's a lot cheaper over there. What I've had was so loving good. I've only had it twice, but holy poo poo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah maybe I just need to find a better supplier here in Oz. It's funny but the Serrano I've had in not-Spain was actually better than the Iberico I've had in not-Spain. In Spain, though, the Iberico was ridiculicious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sadly I've never been to spain. But the Serrano I've gotten here has never done much for me. It was good, but not revelatory like iberico.

And now I really want some good ham. gently caress.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

We wholesale Iberico ham for $110.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
$110..per pound?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah. Honestly, I love Iberico, but you pay way too much for the name. I'll take Surryano or Olli Berkshire Prosciutto or even a good Prosciutto di San Daniele over Iberico any day.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

$110..per pound?

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

$110..per pound?

Iberico de bellota is like $170 a pound at Dean and Deluca in Napa.

It's pretty tasty at least.

• Locked thread