Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

Final release date: April 23rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Fpho8G1SQ

That's sooner than I expected. I'm not entirely convinced that they'll be done with optimization by that point. Also, where is the car splitting :saddowns:

To be fair, Screwie Louie is pretty much drift mode Carmageddon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is kinda of hilarious that even on the trailer, the FPS drops are insane. I know they still have 5 weeks but they haven't put much effort on optimization yet and the game while it's fun, looks really dated for the amount of horsepower needed.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Guillermus posted:

Is kinda of hilarious that even on the trailer, the FPS drops are insane. I know they still have 5 weeks but they haven't put much effort on optimization yet and the game while it's fun, looks really dated for the amount of horsepower needed.

Well that makes sense since, by definition, if they haven't done much optimisation yet the trailer was recorded on unoptimised code.

Also with regard to looks, I'm convinced that the game isn't bottlenecked by rendering polys or effects, but rather gets boned heavily by the physics. It runs find until you start smacking into stuff and throwing things around, and then it starts to slow down a lot. If they can optimise that, the whole thing should run a hell of a lot smoother. Then any other rendering optimisations they can make will be icing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm most looking forward to load time optimizations myself. I know I'm not running the game on an SSD but cripes, 4-5 minutes per load is kinda ridiculous.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Seems kinda early for them to go out of beta. The game is still unoptimized.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Nobby said on today's stream that the load times are being worked on, but we still shouldn't expect the game to load instantly. I'm getting ~20-30 second load times on my SSD, still pretty bad but a noticeable improvement from the pre-alpha.

Car splitting and CarMODgeddon are apparently coming in later patches.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Doc Morbid posted:

Nobby said on today's stream that the load times are being worked on, but we still shouldn't expect the game to load instantly. I'm getting ~20-30 second load times on my SSD, still pretty bad but a noticeable improvement from the pre-alpha.

Car splitting and CarMODgeddon are apparently coming in later patches.

Oh yeah, I'm not expecting anything instantaneous, just saying that 4-5 minutes is ridic. If it could get closer to a minute or two I'd be fine, really.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
It needs another three full tracks, overhaul of ped graphics, peds in multi and better FPS/loading times to be finished but hey, for a kickstarter it turned out pretty well.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'll be happy if it will run at all on my system.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
Greetings. I really enjoy this latest Carmageddon game, despite the performance issues. What are your best moments? I like the part when you drift into the stadium and brutally injure dozens of American football players, it's a real fun moment of the game.

What about you??

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doc Morbid posted:

Final release date: April 23rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Fpho8G1SQ

That's sooner than I expected. I'm not entirely convinced that they'll be done with optimization by that point.

I'm pretty sure the version we have as the Beta is not the same version as whatever they're currently working on, so it's likely a lot further along than you'd think. And that Beta could've been from months prior to its release, too.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Ball Cupper posted:

Greetings. I really enjoy this latest Carmageddon game, despite the performance issues. What are your best moments? I like the part when you drift into the stadium and brutally injure dozens of American football players, it's a real fun moment of the game.

What about you??

Pile-driving peds into the wall is always fun, as is frying whole groups of them with the Pedestrian Electro-bastard Ray.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ball Cupper posted:

What about you??

inside a building + pedestrian tosser + pinball mode

(also works for opponents and opponent tosser)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
these comments about optimization are bad, I was hoping this game was almost good already

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

program666 posted:

these comments about optimization are bad, I was hoping this game was almost good already

It's definitely not bad but it does kinda look like they did the whole run out of money and declare it a finished product thing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

program666 posted:

Honestly the load times are the only major hangup for me. It runs fine on my rig (last gen i5, 8GB, GTX 670) other than that.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly the load times are the only major hangup for me. It runs fine on my rig (last gen i5, 8GB, GTX 670) other than that.

Yeah load times seem ridiculously high. It really shouldn't take a minute to load anything on an SSD. First few times I played, I thought the game had crashed while loading.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Ball Cupper posted:

What about you??

In an MP match on Maim Street with my friend, he's chasing me down with Mortars or something. I get to a hill and stop dead just past the lip. He comes rocketing along and flies over the top of me. I hit him with a Repulsificator from underneath and he goes flying sky high and out of the map. :frogc00l:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

It's definitely not bad but it does kinda look like they did the whole run out of money and declare it a finished product thing.

Isn't that vid recorded with the current version we have? Nobby said last stream that they stopped updating the beta and set a release day because maintaining essentially two branches of code (one for steam beta and one as an unstable in progress main branch) was wasting far too much time and resources.

Remember that they can't really just dump their latest build to the players as it would most definitely be unstable and you'd get even more complaints, so each of these update builds had to be specially prepped and stable/polished enough for the general public. As someone who does some coding I know how much work doing this kind of thing can take. I would have made the same decision as they did, stop the beta updates and just concentrate on one final release build.

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

In Britain, it means 'cigarettes'.
Any cool goons doing multiplayer? If so, add me on Steam, it'd be good to get a group going sometime. I'm http://steamcommunity.com/id/george_serious

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

The thing we're playing now isn't a finished product, so I don't know how you'd draw that conclusion from a beta.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

The thing we're playing now isn't a finished product, so I don't know how you'd draw that conclusion from a beta.

Do you think any meaningful improvements to the game will be made between now and release?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Disgusting Coward posted:

Do you think any meaningful improvements to the game will be made between now and release?

No, reputable company Stainless has done all the work they're going to do and are now running cackling into the night with a bag full of money, so much money that some is escaping due to the momentum of their gleeful running. But they don't care, because it's so much.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The beta came out what, a month ago or more? It's not "a month of work", they've been working on their build since before the beta was released probably.

Also, they surely won't be releasing any additional content after release, they're just going to dump that poo poo on us and flee.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Disgusting Coward posted:

As TheCoach tried to explain... those meaningful improvements have been being made since way before the release announcement. The Beta, while it has recieved as couple of desperaately needed bugfix patches, is not the most up to date version of the code, probably by a long long way. So yes, I expect there to be many many meaningful improvements to the finished product over the beta.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Quite glad to see a thread here, didn't realise the games forum to be so overactive that everything not being updated every 20 seconds was buried.

Good to know!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 1, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Quite glad to see a thread here, didn't realise the games forum to be so overactive that everything not being updated every 20 seconds was buried.

Good to know!
Yeah, this forum moves pretty fast and the Carma thread doesn't get that much traffic except when they release a major update or something.

I'm assuming you're the same Maximum Sexy Pigeon from the Reincarnation soundtrack. Good to see some goon representation in Carmageddon, and the MSP songs fit the game really nicely. I'm one of those guys who prefer to play their own Spotify playlist or something during Carmageddon (back in the 90s I had a pile of Iron Maiden and The Offspring CDs next to the computer and would change them as needed :v:), but the stuff that is in the game fits so well that I didn't switch to my playlist until I was almost done with career mode.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
http://www.carmageddon.com/news/douglas-hamster-2014-2015

:rip:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I only read the first 3 lines but it's an april fool's, right?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Mr. Hamster died as a result of suffocation due to complications arising during an alleged “personal interaction” between him and a member of staff at Stainless Games. No further details of the “interaction” are being released at this stage, pending further investigations by the police and the RSPCA. But a witness who arrived at the Stainless offices shortly after the alleged incident said that as well as a cage, small wheel and other recreational equipment, some miniature “costumes” were removed from the scene and, “a short length of plastic tube”.

A spokesperson for the hospital where the Stainless staff member is being treated, Miss April Fulsome, said that they are receiving treatment for “difficulty sitting down” and “watering eyes”.
I dunno, seems legit

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't get to that last line lol

I really hate april's first, everyone suddenly think they are funny, most of them are absolutely not

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Douglas Hamster, distant relative of Lemmywinks.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

program666 posted:

I didn't get to that last line lol

I really hate april's first, everyone suddenly think they are funny, most of them are absolutely not

I know you lashing out is just part of your grieving process and I forgive you buddy. :rip:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 1, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
A hamster up the rear end joke is about as modern and timely as I expect from Stainless. Maybe Running With Scissors can release something about dead babies next.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

A hamster up the rear end joke is about as modern and timely as I expect from Stainless. Maybe Running With Scissors can release something about dead babies next.

Yeah, gently caress those funhavers. Wait till my tumblr hears about this!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Personally I'm hoping for a Salad Fingers reference in the next Postal 2 expansion.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm assuming you're the same Maximum Sexy Pigeon from the Reincarnation soundtrack. Good to see some goon representation in Carmageddon, and the MSP songs fit the game really nicely.

Cheers man! I've been pretty apprehensive of posting in here because the last time I posted anything to do with our music it bought out the douchebag in the elite music types, and gently caress, I don't need that poo poo.

It's a weird story how we got the gig, I'll tell it sometime, but it took 3 years to finalise.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

meat CRime posted:

Yeah, gently caress those funhavers. Wait till my tumblr hears about this!

That's not what I was saying at all but okay!

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

That's not what I was saying at all but okay!

Go on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm saying it's an outdated joke because they're oldschool devs making a very oldschool styled game.

• Locked thread