Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Spaced God posted:

So how do you guys deal with noise pollution. Just changing the streets to have trees or is there something else?

I ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

People die when they get old.

Right, but am I supposed to be getting tweets about the smell of rotting bodies every time someone dies?

Spaced God posted:

So how do you guys deal with noise pollution. Just changing the streets to have trees or is there something else?

Creating a buffer zone of office buildings between the residential area and whatever's causing your noise pollution seems to work. Offices don't produce much (any?) noise pollution and don't mind being next to it.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Periodic dying is dumb, it's like there's no variance in cim lifespan so the entire block dies at the same time. I had to add an absolute shitload of crematories to handle it last time it happened because with unlimited everything mod I was expanding too fast and the entire map was covered in skulls. Thanks mr. skeltal.

Also, hearse ai is terrible. Like, simcity 2013 terrible.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Brightman posted:

Well there ya go, gently caress 'em. Also I remember what the big thing was back during sim city 4 modding, they were getting really mad at people making collections/bundles of mods. We had a goon torrent of sim city 4 mods that was pretty great, I think I still have them, but I don't know if they knew about that one specifically. It was just childish.

Now imagine those sperglord shitfuckers getting direct access to your machine because skyline mods have non-sandboxed executable code. Sounds fun, right? As far as I'm concerned the further away those people stay from steam workshop the better.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

cthulhoo posted:

Periodic dying is dumb, it's like there's no variance in cim lifespan so the entire block dies at the same time. I had to add an absolute shitload of crematories to handle it last time it happened because with unlimited everything mod I was expanding too fast and the entire map was covered in skulls. Thanks mr. skeltal.

Yeah, I keep wondering why the gently caress my crematories are never getting used and why there can be a skull floating there for god knows how long when there's a CEMETERY AND CREMATORIUM LITERALLY 50 METERS AWAY AND NO TRAFFIC.

And yet the police can take care of crime loving instantly and I don't usually have buildings burn down on low-traffic roads (or at all, these days)

e: come to think of it, I have the "poo poo pathing" problem with garbage trucks, too. They'll form a conga line and go across town to pick up trash when there's people that need servicing nearby.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 18, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

cthulhoo posted:

Yeah, this is one mechanic I could do without entirely.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lester Shy posted:

Right, but am I supposed to be getting tweets about the smell of rotting bodies every time someone dies?

If you're actually having trouble with corpses piling up all at the same time you're probably only a few hours into your city and still expanding, or you're seriously loving up. At least, in my experiences.

Crematoriums can burn more corpses than you can ever send into them, like I'm not sure it's possible to have too many corpses for a crematorium. Your major limiting factor with corpse disposal, then, are hearses. If you are always having problems with bodies not being collected then you need to try to keep a few things in mind. Crematoriums are better built away from high traffic streets, and you want all of your streets to be green in the deathcare overlay, as that's the best general indicator of when you've got enough crematorium coverage.

If you are experiencing periodic die offs, keep in mind that your citizens live for six years. If you zone a massive chunk of residential, and if it fills very quickly, you're going to have a lot of problems with your seniors dying off all at once. The only way to really get around this is to not zone large districts out all at once. Generally, though, your regular die offs stop to happen and your population stabilizes even with crazy zoning. If you do wind up overwhelmed just bump your healthcare budget up temporarily in order to spawn more hearses.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hadlock posted:

So if you pump out that water you can basically build Holland? Rinse, repeat and grow your kingdom below sea level? I guess that could sort of work for New Orleans and Dallas, as well.

Correct! It's gonna be expensive as hell though.
I'm really hoping seawalls, river barriers and some other stuff like that ends up in the game, it would make waterfronts way nicer at least.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Zeno-25 posted:

I saved twice, once with the cloud and once without. Can't see anything to load in the saved games menu.

This seriously blows, I can't play this game if I can't save. Not a very good first impression, Colossal Order. Guess I'll spend my morning Googling around for a fix instead of playing the game.

I love when 99% of people don't experience an issue it's still the devs fault.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

xzzy posted:

No one knows exactly because they're all insane and unable to articulate themselves coherently.

They talk about copyright a lot though so it either has to do with maintaining recognition or making money off it.

Hilarious that there's people who spent 2 hours making a mod for someone else's game that took 50 people 3 years to make, and they're worried about copyright infringement and theoretical profits.

Give it away for free and for fun to as many people as possible, you loving dipshits. Even that guy on Patreon is giving away his buildings to non-supporters.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The existing elevated roundabouts for highways didnt fit into my split avenue idea, so I made a really compact (in width) 'roundabout' based on elevated highway with as little width lost as possible for the actual roundabout.

Presenting: the elevated-elevated-ovalabout :

Works just like an elevated roundabout, except with about 50% of the width - so it fits in more narrow areas where you already had 1-level elevated highways easily. It's based on already having 1-level elevated highways, so the actual oval is level 2.
This makes it a little trickier to connect roads to it, but allows tighter zones while still having the roundabout function. Workshop link

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 18, 2015

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Building a proper turbine interchange is hard. Mine turned out enormous, but after some modifications I think I like it even better than a more compact one

I call it the Circle of Commerce. Should look nice with high density stuff inside.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

This started out as a simple idea to add another highway near a hospital to cut down on ambulance traffic and offramp jams, then I kept having to change things to fit it around my train tracks, now I'm not even sure what connects to what.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
There are now mod tools for modders in Steam mods. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409520576&searchtext=

Modception.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Fishstick posted:

The existing elevated roundabouts for highways didnt fit into my split avenue idea, so I made a really compact (in width) 'roundabout' based on elevated highway with as little width lost as possible for the actual roundabout.

Works just like an elevated roundabout, except with about 50% of the width - so it fits in more narrow areas where you already had 1-level elevated highways easily. It's based on already having 1-level elevated highways, so the actual oval is level 2.
This makes it a little trickier to connect roads to it, but allows tighter zones while still having the roundabout function. Workshop link
This is really slick looking.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Yup, totally putting this in my cities. Thanks!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I love how you guys have invented the concept of the "frontage bridge." I never knew what humanity was missing until now.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

simosimo posted:

Regarding water towers and stuff. When I get my head around modelling I'm so making those ugly natural gas structures that you see in the UK. The things where they go up and down , like big tanks surrounded by metal trusses.

Gasometers!

There's not too many left now and some are being listed to prevent them being demolished: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30405066

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I did a thing:

Semi-Artificial (poop)Lake with PRIME BEACHFRONT PROPERTY

Comes with its own Perpetuum Mobile:

The dam produces far more power than the pumps/sewage produces. The water has mostly settled now and it actually produces almost 300MW.

Unfortunately Mistakes Were Made during construction. A second set of landside dams were build to hold the flood.

(I later found out the hard way that a shutdown dam will still allow water to pass, so I had to fiddle with the landside damns endlessly until they were both facing towards the lake)

Also a pilot program to test land reclamation

Friction posted:

Building a proper turbine interchange is hard. Mine turned out enormous, but after some modifications I think I like it even better than a more compact one

I call it the Circle of Commerce. Should look nice with high density stuff inside.

Somebody named Timboh uploaded like 20 different types of intersection on the Steam Workshop and they are all various types of awesome. The buildings in the middle look great, shame Turbines dont' do U-turns though. Cargo trucks coming from the City are going to drive all the way to wherever that direction takes them.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

xergm posted:

Especially when the workshop supports collections, which not only link the original work, but let you add all the content in the collection with one button. Why would anyone want to go back to the old way of doing things like it was in Simcity 4?

Cheap lazy people

By the way the fact that there was so much poo poo on the workshop really motivated me to buy the game over filesing it at any point so their design philosophy worked on me

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
If folks are getting tired of massive old people holocausts and life spans of 6 years, there's always a realistic aging mod which will let your sims live a hearty 80-96 years! :v:

Note this will have a profound effect on education of citizens so levelling up your buildings will take forever. :smith:

For added fun use the realistic speed mod for pedestrian/car speeds!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mr_jolly posted:

Gasometers!

There's not too many left now and some are being listed to prevent them being demolished: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30405066

There's one of these in an abandoned factory complex near where I live in the US and I had no idea what it was until now!

I'd definitely put one, or many, in my cities...

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

St Evan Echoes posted:

That's kinda chilling! "Here's a bunch of hospitals and graveyards - you're gonna need them"

Haha, yeah, hadn't thought of it exactly like that but yeah. That district is "Poorsville", it was sorta setup to fail. Last thing I did was put the stadium in there on a nice off-shoot road and then raise the taxes. The city is the first one, it's a test city, these things happen...I guess.

cthulhoo posted:

Now imagine those sperglord shitfuckers getting direct access to your machine because skyline mods have non-sandboxed executable code. Sounds fun, right? As far as I'm concerned the further away those people stay from steam workshop the better.

Good loving point, also a good reminder to be careful with these mods I guess.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Latest round of Billboard textures, feel free to use in your assets goons.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Poizen Jam posted:

If folks are getting tired of massive old people holocausts and life spans of 6 years, there's always a realistic aging mod which will let your sims live a hearty 80-96 years! :v:

Note this will have a profound effect on education of citizens so levelling up your buildings will take forever. :smith:

How about one that just puts say a +/- 10%-20% die roll on Cims' lifespans so that entire districts of Cims don't all grab their chests and keel over at the same instant?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I havent picked this game up yet but I'm definitely going to have to soon.

I know you can raise your roads, but can you lower them and make tunnels?

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

mr_jolly posted:

Gasometers!

Holy poo poo. I've never heard of those until now, but those are really cool.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Brightman posted:

Haha, yeah, hadn't thought of it exactly like that but yeah. That district is "Poorsville", it was sorta setup to fail. Last thing I did was put the stadium in there on a nice off-shoot road and then raise the taxes. The city is the first one, it's a test city, these things happen...I guess.

Ya you made the geto bro. All the commercial is pawn shops and gun stores and liquor stores and bodegas and poo poo :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

simosimo posted:

Latest round of Billboard textures, feel free to use in your assets goons.

These are excellent, but...

Can ya...

Can ya hit me with a lil'... ya know...

Doobie's Dog House, of Reform Alabama?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Poizen Jam posted:

'Realistic' isn't so realistic in game time considering the way it can take months to drive across town. That said, a mod that randomizes lifetime length to avoid sudden mass die-offs because you zoned too much residential at once would be welcome.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Arrath posted:

Yup, totally putting this in my cities. Thanks!

Glad you guys like it! I just made it so I could fit an elevated roundabout on an exisiting elevated highway in a narrow arrea, and it seems to work well, even if connecting roads to the roundabout looks like spaghetti. You can draw onramps to the HW easily, its just roads to the actual roundabout take some spaghetti curves

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 18, 2015

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I havent picked this game up yet but I'm definitely going to have to soon.

I know you can raise your roads, but can you lower them and make tunnels?

Unfortunately not, that's one of the bigger things currently missing from the game. But given how it's been selling I'd be suprised if they didn't put out either an update or DLC with that feature some time Soon(TM).

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
How do you actually make updates to an asset you uploaded to the workshop? It seems like every time I save the modified asset it makes a new copy of it that I would have to share separately.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fish Fry Andy posted:

If you're actually having trouble with corpses piling up all at the same time you're probably only a few hours into your city and still expanding, or you're seriously loving up. At least, in my experiences.

Crematoriums can burn more corpses than you can ever send into them, like I'm not sure it's possible to have too many corpses for a crematorium. Your major limiting factor with corpse disposal, then, are hearses. If you are always having problems with bodies not being collected then you need to try to keep a few things in mind. Crematoriums are better built away from high traffic streets, and you want all of your streets to be green in the deathcare overlay, as that's the best general indicator of when you've got enough crematorium coverage.

If you are experiencing periodic die offs, keep in mind that your citizens live for six years. If you zone a massive chunk of residential, and if it fills very quickly, you're going to have a lot of problems with your seniors dying off all at once. The only way to really get around this is to not zone large districts out all at once. Generally, though, your regular die offs stop to happen and your population stabilizes even with crazy zoning. If you do wind up overwhelmed just bump your healthcare budget up temporarily in order to spawn more hearses.

Burial being a city provided service seems really weird to me. Is this a thing that is provided in European countries?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Domattee posted:

Unfortunately not, that's one of the bigger things currently missing from the game. But given how it's been selling I'd be suprised if they didn't put out either an update or DLC with that feature some time Soon(TM).

They've already announced tunnels are one of the first things they're adding, in fact, yeah

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Domattee posted:

If they implement tunnels like they did in CiM proper, we'll see whole worlds of new intersections. In CiM, tunnels worked on levels just like overpasses do now - so you can cross and seperate several subterannearn road tunnels on several levels.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Burial being a city provided service seems really weird to me. Is this a thing that is provided in European countries?

I cant speak for other EU countries, but here (Belgium) a basic 'proper' burial is standard, but usually the cost is heaped upon the descendants. Literally someone in your family tree is paying for the burial, as basic as it is. And the basic version is pretty much an ikea coffin. Not like you'll care, cause, you know, you're dead and the coffin is going to rot anyway. As for space, its usally in cheap non-in-city-limit spaces that are left over, and after 25 years or so you get dug up.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 18, 2015

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Chewbot posted:

There are now mod tools for modders in Steam mods. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409520576&searchtext=

Modception.

This tool is really awesome, by the way. Those guys also made a library for easier access to some of the more common things you'd want to do with CS modding. I highly encourage doing anything and everything with this. If you're able to read code at all, you'll be surprised how far you can go - most of it just involves looking in the right place. That mod toolkit makes it pretty simple!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Friction posted:

'grats on basically making a helicoil (planned for phoenix in the 60s, but never constructed).

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Re: Asset stuff - The constant presence of the grid makes it actually harder than it should to measure out grids and proper circles than it is ingame. At least ingame the grid is blue on white, but in the asset editor everything is white on 'brighter white'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nitrousoxide posted:

I expect its as simple as asking "what's another service on a different period from all the basic services?" during development and burial being the least awful idea.

I have taken to leaning into the booms because the RCI feedback during a busts allows for even bigger boon/busts and I'm scared of playing at a speed faster than base despite my city being stable.