Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Yuzenn posted:

I cringed when I listened to this guy try to pronounce Bilal, and then turned him the gently caress off. And plus he must of said Neo Soul 100 times which is a term I loving hate to begin with.

Look, I know that the album is going to be important because SO MANY WHITE PEOPLE and some non rap fans are going to love it and it's going to be their intro into the art and thats great and nice and all but even Kendrick admits on his own tracks that people are fans but they couldn't give a flying gently caress about the type of people who he's rapping about who are less fortunate and even Black culture or people themselves.

A great number of people who are going to buy the album won't even know that on a certain level Kendrick despises their existence and raps directly to them at spots. It's like the woman who dances to a Ying Yang Twins song, and screams along side with "WAIT TILL YOU SEE MY DICK", and I can guaranfuckingtee that there will be some recitals of THIS DICK AINT FREEEEEEE in bars and clubs across America.

Whether I like the album is going to be irrelevant over the musings of this being the GOAT for rap alongside of people completely missing the point of the piece entirely.

Like when you mention Swimming Pools and people say how much they like to party to that song. :smithicide:

Which, in a way, makes the song all the more meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Budget Prefuse posted:

father just released his album who's gonna get hosed first. dude sounds like the long lost brother of rubenslikk and im genuinely surprised he doesnt have any connections to metro zu. it's a good album if you're into that kind of weirdo rap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2WUZPZh6sk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_FkjrjD-8g

This is really good. You're always on point, thanks.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I'm guessing because most people heard Swimming Pools without the last part

I like the album but the last three tracks are eh. The last one in particular should have just ended after he finished his final poem reading and "i" should have cut out a lot of the live show dead air at the end.

King Kunta up through Alright is my jam though

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Needle Drop gave MBDTF a 6 so I don't really take his opinions on hip-hop that seriously

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

nothing ive heard from father has been good or interesting enough to change him from being "that guy who made wrist" in my head

edit: tbh even that song is mostly made by the hook/key! (who this thread never talks about but is actually really good). fathers problem is that hes just... not a very good rapper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRf0QCyUDCw

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 18, 2015

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Profondo Rosso posted:

nothing ive heard from father has been good or interesting enough to change him from being "that guy who made wrist" in my head

edit: tbh even that song is mostly made by the hook/key! (who this thread never talks about but is actually really good). fathers problem is that hes just... not a very good rapper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRf0QCyUDCw

I'm digging him but I definitely hear RubenSlikk in his voice. But it's fine with em cause I really like Slikk when he's on point.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I didn't really like MBDTF but I can appreciate the craftsmanship. For whatever reason, people love that album and I don't have to insult them to disagree.

White people listening to hiphop doesn't faze me anymore. Having second hand embarrassment over it comes off as being an even bigger douche. This thread is probably the only time I engage white people's opinions about rap and I've learned (over a long period) to take it as a curiosity and in a non-judgmental fashion. My gripe is the assumption that black people don't like the same stuff white people do and vise versa. I know many black people that like Childish Gambino, Chance, Kendrick, etc. TPAB isn't critic bait or the respectability politics version of rap, it is a good album. If a bunch of clueless white people like it too, so what? It is more a testament to the music than shameful pink toes invading rap by making Kendrick a millionaire. I'm more critical of the art than the listeners. Some people's taste, knowledge, or time is limited to trends and marketed media. The average white person is probably equally as exploited as the average rapper by corporate forces to consume (and for artists, to create) lovely music so the company can meet sales projections. It really bothers me when people who I assume are white try to protect the music from other white people because who are they to judge what's authentic or good or appropriate rap? That's a privileged action masquerading as cultural appreciation. If a rapper wants to rap about destroying his community and a bunch of white people pave a money trail to their cities, I can't judge either side of that equation. I don't assume a rapper popular with white people is automatically flawed somehow either. Like Alan said, TPAB is one of those records you can talk about, as opposed to trap album #4080. Maybe trap albums need better critics. /rant

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

alansmithee posted:

I may give it another listen, but everything I heard from dude has just been kinda junk. I never noticed the rubenslikk similarities before but upon listening again I can def see it (also he was always my least fav metro zu dude so not surprising). Production I also heard on some of his stuff before didn't seem nearly as nice as Lofty305 et al. usually cook up.

Also as an aside I really wish Metro Zu would do more outside stuff, at least with production. They totally fit in with the JAoT/Pyramid Vittra/Khalil Nova/etc type of spacey-rap poo poo that I dig.
im surprised you dont like rubenslikk that much. i think that king astro slikk is one of the best metro zu mixtapes. also yeah i don't think father's production is on the same level as lofty305 but it's still pretty good.

i would love for metro zu to do more outside stuff but i dont see it happening tbh

i flunked out posted:

This is really good. You're always on point, thanks.
no problem! :D

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

temple posted:

White people listening to hiphop doesn't faze me anymore. Having second hand embarrassment over it comes off as being an even bigger douche. This thread is probably the only time I engage white people's opinions about rap and I've learned (over a long period) to take it as a curiosity and in a non-judgmental fashion. My gripe is the assumption that black people don't like the same stuff white people do and vise versa. I know many black people that like Childish Gambino, Chance, Kendrick, etc. TPAB isn't critic bait or the respectability politics version of rap, it is a good album. If a bunch of clueless white people like it too, so what? It is more a testament to the music than shameful pink toes invading rap by making Kendrick a millionaire. I'm more critical of the art than the listeners. Some people's taste, knowledge, or time is limited to trends and marketed media. The average white person is probably equally as exploited as the average rapper by corporate forces to consume (and for artists, to create) lovely music so the company can meet sales projections. It really bothers me when people who I assume are white try to protect the music from other white people because who are they to judge what's authentic or good or appropriate rap? That's a privileged action masquerading as cultural appreciation. If a rapper wants to rap about destroying his community and a bunch of white people pave a money trail to their cities, I can't judge either side of that equation. I don't assume a rapper popular with white people is automatically flawed somehow either. Like Alan said, TPAB is one of those records you can talk about, as opposed to trap album #4080. Maybe trap albums need better critics. /rant
I agree with all of this and don't really have anything to add to it.

Besides personal tastes, it's what people are exposed to. The more various styles of hiphop I'm exposed to both the more I can appreciate various forms and incarnations of it but also the more I can pick and choose what I like while still being able to appreciate well-done stuff that isn't my style (such as Kendrick).

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Making fun of dumb white people who like rap isn't *really* about race. It's plain old elitism (I was here first, I really ~~**get**~~ this music, I liked it before it was cool). There's inescapable superficial cultural voyeurism built into hiphop, but I think that for the most part it's become more and more post-racial beneath the surface (no, really).

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

alansmithee posted:

Well he actually says it may go down as the best rap album, not that it is (which I think is a fair assessment). Also he didn't like MBDTF I guess? Although it's probably my second-least fav Kanye album too so there's that. And fwiw I don't see it aging badly since the overall production is based so heavily on jazz/funk/soul stuff so it's already not gonna be tied to this particular time period. I mean think about it, you already had some people here like "lol jazz in rap wtf is that?" so it's not gonna end up dated or whatever. And since it's something that seems to reward repeated listening, that's only gonna help it's outlook. I mean this album is critic bait-not intentionally but it's exactly the type of thing that most of them will eat up (as I've mentioned before). Similar with Kanye's stuff although a lot of the talk about them actually revolves around Kanye himself, but he's such an intricate part of his albums but that's a whole different topic. I mean I get down with a lot of Young Thug's music, but there's not really much there to write about after the first time-you mention his voice and the way he bounces around between singsong and rap and whatever and that's about it, maybe mentioning a particularly clever line. It's not nearly as engaging intellectually, so you aren't gonna be able to write/discuss as much.

I guess I think music takes longer to process than that, and him giving it a perfect score seems more of a knee-jerk reaction. It's really not that big of a deal, I just get annoyed with people being superfluous about everything. People used literally wrong so much they changed the definition of it. People like that are the same that would say TPaB is GOAT 2 days after it came out or "I" is the anthem of a generation, whichever website that was.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Budget Prefuse posted:

im surprised you dont like rubenslikk that much. i think that king astro slikk is one of the best metro zu mixtapes. also yeah i don't think father's production is on the same level as lofty305 but it's still pretty good.

i would love for metro zu to do more outside stuff but i dont see it happening tbh

Oh I don't either, they seem more than content to randomly drop their tapes and art stuff. I think outside of some early collabs with some of the raider clan dudes, they haven't really worked with anyone out of their circle.

Never got much into rubenslikk cause his vocal stuff always seemed to detract from what was happening otherwise a lot of the time. Like none of the dudes are what I'd consider "good" rappers but he always seemed to grate more than most. King astro slikk did have amazing production though.

Also I just saw that apparently spaceghostpuurp released a mixtape this year, so I'm gonna have to check that out for sure. I don't think he ever was better than he was on blackland 666 (which is also where i first started checking for lil ugly mane), but I still hold out some hope. It seems like a lot of that devil music mini-revival is passed, but in terms of actual menace i find that poo poo way better and effective than all the generic trap/gangsta stuff for the most part.

And as an aside I hope everyone's prepared to rehash the Kendrick conversation in a few months when Kanye drops his album. Unlike last year where most the mainstream review stuff didn't really have anything to really go crazy over from the "typical" places (which ended up with RTJ2 getting tons of press, largely deservedly) you'll have about 2 billion thoughtpieces written about rap albums this year. And if Tha Carter 6 is at all good you'll even have the album that all the "reactionary" rap dudes will rest their laurels on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Making fun of dumb white people who like rap isn't *really* about race. It's plain old elitism (I was here first, I really ~~**get**~~ this music, I liked it before it was cool). There's inescapable superficial cultural voyeurism built into hiphop, but I think that for the most part it's become more and more post-racial beneath the surface (no, really).

:wow:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

as a white person that likes rap music heres why its totally cool and ok that i like it and lame and not good that other white people do too

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

Well he actually says it may go down as the best rap album, not that it is (which I think is a fair assessment). Also he didn't like MBDTF I guess? Although it's probably my second-least fav Kanye album too so there's that. And fwiw I don't see it aging badly since the overall production is based so heavily on jazz/funk/soul stuff so it's already not gonna be tied to this particular time period. I mean think about it, you already had some people here like "lol jazz in rap wtf is that?" so it's not gonna end up dated or whatever. And since it's something that seems to reward repeated listening, that's only gonna help it's outlook. I mean this album is critic bait-not intentionally but it's exactly the type of thing that most of them will eat up (as I've mentioned before). Similar with Kanye's stuff although a lot of the talk about them actually revolves around Kanye himself, but he's such an intricate part of his albums but that's a whole different topic. I mean I get down with a lot of Young Thug's music, but there's not really much there to write about after the first time-you mention his voice and the way he bounces around between singsong and rap and whatever and that's about it, maybe mentioning a particularly clever line. It's not nearly as engaging intellectually, so you aren't gonna be able to write/discuss as much.

Pretty sure this decade would be 2010+, but I don't even think masters of the universe was the best project One Be Lo was on (SONOGRAM fwiw).

Fantano is kinda goofy or w/e, but he's one of the few dudes who seems to try to engage rap more on it's terms, than through some other filter so I don't mind him even when I disagree. I didn't agree with everything he said in the review but I thought he made a lot of good points.

And as to your other stuff, you kinda have a point but it also kinda goes to the musicality of the album that dudes are gonna be listening to it and missing out what he's actually saying.

And especially for black dudes, that's always the risk that any message or w/e gets drowned out. I mean look at Chappelle-dude turned down $50 million because he decided his audience was too dumb to understand what he was trying to do (literally, there was one show he was doing on a standup tour where he literally said the audience was stupid and walked out).

That said, I don't think the audience/fans of someone should really play into how I like something. I'm not gonna hate something just because a bunch of corny white dudes like it (not saying that's what you're doing btw, just a general statement), nor am I gonna naturally like something or stand up for it just because a group I identify with does.

Anyone is going to like what they like regardless of what anyone says or thinks so that's moot, but as a discussion point this album is just either going to get 10/10 or people are going to not like it much. Outside of this thread being critical of some of the things even for the people who do like the album, I just feel like it's not being looked at critically enough for the mistakes most of would agree that keeps this album from being REALLY great. I think there was a suggestion in an earlier page that this could have been a 2CD release and I think that would have taken it over the top; it would have totally thrown it back to the 90's classic rap album paradigm and given the opportunity for the music to stand on its own while not totally ignoring the other things which are important in their own way. Plus I think that MBDTF did plenty more for the art and music itself than this album and that got dogged pretty heavily by critics.

I had originally wrote up a whole other slew of poo poo about race and whatnot but this is a really polarizing subject and probably too soapboxy and much more apt for another thread, so i'll leave it at that. I did get a good laugh about the post racial post though, that was part of my write up and boom it made its way into the thread anyway.

alansmithee posted:

Nah, I think you're mostly right. I mean especially when you got an 80 minute album with a bunch of content to digest, it's sometimes good to take a step back and let it ruminate a bit. Otoh I can fully see being just overwhelmed by what's going on there right up front, and something that can have that kind of impact maybe deserves the praise?

Hmm yes post-racial. Now let us know what you think about reverse racism, and how those stupid nigg..."elitists" just gotta quit being mean to all the nice white people who just wanna harvest their suffering and cultural output for memes and background music at keggers.

I'm trying not to be as harsh and just taking it one track at a time and the product itself may grow on me a bit but there is nothing like some of the cringe worthy moments of the album though.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 18, 2015

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Robert Analog posted:

I guess I think music takes longer to process than that, and him giving it a perfect score seems more of a knee-jerk reaction. It's really not that big of a deal, I just get annoyed with people being superfluous about everything. People used literally wrong so much they changed the definition of it. People like that are the same that would say TPaB is GOAT 2 days after it came out or "I" is the anthem of a generation, whichever website that was.

Nah, I think you're mostly right. I mean especially when you got an 80 minute album with a bunch of content to digest, it's sometimes good to take a step back and let it ruminate a bit. Otoh I can fully see being just overwhelmed by what's going on there right up front, and something that can have that kind of impact maybe deserves the praise?

Hmm yes post-racial. Now let us know what you think about reverse racism, and how those stupid nigg..."elitists" just gotta quit being mean to all the nice white people who just wanna harvest their suffering and cultural output for memes and background music at keggers.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

LMAO "post racial"

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

if u think about it the new kendrick lamar album is the opposite of racist... makes u think

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

bring back the old post-racial thread title

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

Anyone is going to like what they like regardless of what anyone says or thinks so that's moot, but as a discussion point this album is just either going to get 10/10 or people are going to not like it much. Outside of this thread being critical of some of the things even for the people who do like the album, I just feel like it's not being looked at critically enough for the mistakes most of would agree that keeps this album from being REALLY great. I think there was a suggestion in an earlier page that this could have been a 2CD release and I think that would have taken it over the top; it would have totally thrown it back to the 90's classic rap album paradigm and given the opportunity for the music to stand on its own while not totally ignoring the other things which are important in their own way. Plus I think that MBDTF did plenty more for the art and music itself than this album and that got dogged pretty heavily by critics.

I had originally wrote up a whole other slew of poo poo about race and whatnot but this is a really polarizing subject and probably too soapboxy and much more apt for another thread, so i'll leave it at that.

The "10/10" or "worst thing ever, pure trash" dichotomy doesn't allow for much discussion inbetween. I've seen some criticism of TPaB but honestly I think a lot of the things that some people (including me) think of as weaknesses of the album are actually positives, so I see that as being more a difference of opinion rather than it not receiving criticism. Like in that Needle Drop review dude seemingly is in love with the spoken word interludes and whatnot because of how they tie the album together, whereas I think they're a bit over the top. But I can't really say either view is right or wrong*, it worked more for him and didn't detract from the music there. Also you're off-base on MBDTF, that album was loved by like everyone critically, I mean it has a 94 on metacritic and a bunch of places had it as the best album of the year/decade/kanye's career/etc

http://www.metacritic.com/music/my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy/kanye-west/critic-reviews

Also despite what some libertarians would like to say, rap and race are entwined so let loose.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

alansmithee posted:

WHOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Is this now the post stupid things about hip-hop thread? Cause I'm pretty sure this is copy pasted from somewhere. If So..

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

cultural appropriation!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqU7OyOKci0

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPC9erC5WqU

Nah It's cool

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

while i can appreciate the core sentiment, i think the execution is extremely lacking and hurts the cause. 2/10.

also that doesn't sound anything like gleesh (voice seems way different), but there's no way there's 2 dudes with that name.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

alansmithee posted:

The "10/10" or "worst thing ever, pure trash" dichotomy doesn't allow for much discussion inbetween. I've seen some criticism of TPaB but honestly I think a lot of the things that some people (including me) think of as weaknesses of the album are actually positives, so I see that as being more a difference of opinion rather than it not receiving criticism. Like in that Needle Drop review dude seemingly is in love with the spoken word interludes and whatnot because of how they tie the album together, whereas I think they're a bit over the top. But I can't really say either view is right or wrong*, it worked more for him and didn't detract from the music there. Also you're off-base on MBDTF, that album was loved by like everyone critically, I mean it has a 94 on metacritic and a bunch of places had it as the best album of the year/decade/kanye's career/etc

http://www.metacritic.com/music/my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy/kanye-west/critic-reviews

Also despite what some libertarians would like to say, rap and race are entwined so let loose.

Ah my mistake on MBDTF, maybe I was thinking Yeezus when it came out. Anyway, I still think MBDTF is the best album i've ever heard and does things I can't say any other album does so saying TPaB is better than that is a bit of a stretch for me to believe.

I guess what shocks me is that after having constantly to defend rap from friends/family/internet I thought this was going to be one of the albums where I would have to do the most defending. For whatever reason though, this of all albums seems to be getting consumed tremendously positive and it's a head scratcher. I feel like if this was someone's first foray into rap or even the casual listener it has some sonically unpleasing combinations for anyone who isn't really a fan of jazz or the spoken word or even poems (the whole pac thing). The album dives RIGHT in some really in your face old school racially charge sample selection and it roped me in immediately but quickly bounces all around and I feel tries to do so many things which leads to the 80 minute playtime issue. People are eating this album up though and I'm worried that the entire point of the album he is literally telling you in plain english is being totally missed.

What bothers me the most is that this is literally something that at face value i'd throw a bag full of money at, it's everything that I would want a rap epic to really be. I just feels like when I take the wrapper (puns!) off the product itself it's held together by duct tape and stitches. Didn't someone say earlier that he scrapped the entire thing a couple of times? It just feels....rushed I guess. Had it not leaked I was honestly going to pre order it but changed my mind. Hell I might still buy it because I feel bad that I've got to stream the product this whole time without supporting.

I just keep getting to The Blacker the Berry and wishing the whole album was like that and I can't shake the feeling. And it's hard to digest what I have in front of me considering that I had the complete opposite feeling about Tetsuo and Youth and even to a smaller degree Dark Sky Paradise. The former turned out to be a phenom of a project, and the latter is at least the first great album put out by a very talent artist who kept missing the mark.

None of this hurts Kendrick at all so I hope people don't think I think he's done or anything because of this. This album is going to win a ton of awards, maybe sell decently and he'll be fine. I just feel like Kendrick is accelerating a promising career into something of the end of Nas's career where so much effort is put into being conscious and whatnot it starts to detract from the actual musical product. I like the "IDGAF" Kendrick but I feel like he really really wracked his brain and psyche trying to get this to be his own perfect message to the world instead of just making the music and letting it stand on its own and air out a little. My opinion is just one of a let down for this album.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 18, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Budget Prefuse posted:

bring back the old post-racial thread title

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yuzenn posted:

I just keep getting to The Blacker the Berry and wishing the whole album was like that and I can't shake the feeling. And it's hard to digest what I have in front of me considering that I had the complete opposite feeling about Tetsuo and Youth and even to a smaller degree Dark Sky Paradise. The former turned out to be a phenom of a project, and the latter is at least the first great album put out by a very talent artist who kept missing the mark.

None of this hurts Kendrick at all so I hope people don't think I think he's done or anything because of this. This album is going to win a ton of awards, maybe sell decently and he'll be fine. I just feel like Kendrick is accelerating a promising career into something of the end of Nas's career where so much effort is put into being conscious and whatnot it starts to detract from the actual musical product. I like the "IDGAF" Kendrick but I feel like he really really wracked his brain and psyche trying to get this to be his own perfect message to the world instead of just making the music and letting it stand on its own and air out a little. My opinion is just one of a let down for this album.

The thing I don't get is that GKMC and Section.80 seem just as "conscious" as this album was. Section.80 was preachy as all hell. And I don't know how you could listen to GKMC straight through and think that it wasn't trying to make a very clear and obvious point.

I can completely get and understand if you like the music and sound from S:80 and GKMC more than TPaB. Section.80 Is still probably my favorite project of his on the whole. But It doesn't sound to me like he's changed all that much. Other than this time he's looking inward rather than just the situation around him.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

hip hop is post racial in that anyone who likes childish gambino is retarded independent of race

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Dexo posted:

The thing I don't get is that GKMC and Section.80 seem just as "conscious" as this album was. Section.80 was preachy as all hell. And I don't know how you could listen to GKMC straight through and think that it wasn't trying to make a very clear and obvious point.

I can completely get and understand if you like the music and sound from S:80 and GKMC more than TPaB. Section.80 Is still probably my favorite project of his on the whole. But It doesn't sound to me like he's changed all that much. Other than this time he's looking inward rather than just the situation around him.

I'll be honest I listened to S80 after GKMC and I felt what you are saying but its more to my point that he's never not conscious; I just feel like the album suffers from trying so very hard because of the introspection and never fully got fleshed out. It's almost self aggrandizing at this point (all rappers supe themselves up to a degree and its part of the game), I was watching his Ebro interview and left with the feeling that he has really owned the rap savior moniker that gets thrown at him all the time. He's at this interesting point in a rappers career where they have the platform to say what they really feel. I feel like he's so stuck in that moment, it hurt what could have been in his album.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

this last page posted:

:allears:

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Yo! NMD Raps - background music at keggers

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

don't really get why people are saying the album is "inaccesible" or unlistenable or whatever. a lot is pretty straightforward rapping, "wesley's theory", "these walls", "institutionalized", "alright", "how much a dollar cost", "complexion" sound mostly "normal" in terms of mainstream rap. Complexion is probably my favorite song so far, it's really good and I never heard of rapsody before but she kills it.

also lmao at whatever retard said the album was a lovely pfunk ripoff

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Cool and good. posted:

don't really get why people are saying the album is "inaccesible" or unlistenable or whatever. a lot is pretty straightforward rapping, "wesley's theory", "these walls", "institutionalized", "alright", "how much a dollar cost", "complexion" sound mostly "normal" in terms of mainstream rap. Complexion is probably my favorite song so far, it's really good and I never heard of rapsody before but she kills it.

also lmao at whatever retard said the album was a lovely pfunk ripoff

yeah, this is what baffles me most... listening to people online complain about the album, you'd think it was 70 minutes of free jazz and spoken word, with 2 minutes of actual rapping. I think people's perceptions are being skewed heavily because For Free is right at the beginning of the album and the long Tupac thing is right at the end... the vast majority of the stuff in between is rap music! There's like 45 minutes of rap there!

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
TPAB doesnt have enough BANGERZ

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

TPAB doesnt have enough BANGERZ

I was really hoping to pad my kegger playlist with TPAB, but...

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Kendrick:Yo! NMD Raps::The Weeknd:The old R&B Thread.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

yeah, this is what baffles me most... listening to people online complain about the album, you'd think it was 70 minutes of free jazz and spoken word, with 2 minutes of actual rapping. I think people's perceptions are being skewed heavily because For Free is right at the beginning of the album and the long Tupac thing is right at the end... the vast majority of the stuff in between is rap music! There's like 45 minutes of rap there!

I think I would have liked the album more if it there were more tracks like For Free, tbh

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Dexo posted:

Is this now the post stupid things about hip-hop thread? Cause I'm pretty sure this is copy pasted from somewhere. If So..

Christ that was painful to read.

In terms of my opinion, I sit in the "it's good but overlong and self indulgent and the Tupac track makes me wince". I need to live with it a bit to work out how I really feel about it. Overall I like the clear thematic progression of the album, and the way the poem is built up. Yeah, the spoken word stuff gets a bit much sometimes. "How Much A Dollar Cost" and "The Blacker The Berry" are clear highlights for me right now. "King Kunta" is also really good, and "i" works a lot better within the context of the album.

I'm enjoying the discussion around this album a lot. Whether it's GOAT or a piece of poo poo, it's definitely an interesting and exciting release.

Non-Kendrick chat: I finally checked out Beast Mode after someone mentioned it again at the beginning of the Kendrick onslaught and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoils
Nov 2, 2012
Things that have been belittled over the last 2 pages of this thread: white people's opinions about rap, "elitists" about rap, post-racism, racism, not caring about race, childish gambino (donglover!), people who want to talk about race, people who don't want to talk about race, "This Dick Aint Free" (DJs will def play that jazzy interlude that begins with a women yelling for 45 seconds in the club, that'll be a real hit), critics, fantano (for the 100th time in this thread) and keg parties.

And whoever said that kendrick's album felt rushed, that was a good one.
Also, whoever posts and then discusses Pitchfork's eventual rating and review of this album should feel as if they contributed something special to this thread. I just wanted to give a preemptive congratulations to you.