Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Really wish there was some kind of road grid in the actual game. Especially since it's such an rear end in a top hat about imperceptible slopes. If I can't place my intersection because the flat ground is too steep, give me a grid to use so my handmade interchange doesn't look like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Burial being a city provided service seems really weird to me. Is this a thing that is provided in European countries?
Around here, crematoria and cemeteries are handled by the municipal councils. (We still have private funeral directors but they basically just do the corpse packaging and fleece bereaved of their money.)

Actually having to stick deathcare facilities around town so they can service the corpses is the weirdest thing about this game for me.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
DEATHCARE would be an awesome name for a band by the way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can this import data from Google maps or open street maps or something so i can gently caress around in my irl city?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I was watching pedestrians move between two of my metro stations while considering revisions, when i noticed something weird. Every group switching stations would take the long way around in green. I've never seen a single pedestrian set foot on the little red hook.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

site posted:

Can this import data from Google maps or open street maps or something so i can gently caress around in my irl city?

http://terrain.party/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

simosimo posted:

Latest round of Billboard textures, feel free to use in your assets goons.

Change the $s to the Cities ¢. :colbert:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What

This exists

Jesus

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I couldn't help myself.

Come get your shower supply stores.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410082914

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what happens if you dont provide for corpse removal? :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SynthOrange posted:

People get mad and move out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SynthOrange posted:

Enos Shenk posted:

I couldn't help myself.

Come get your shower supply stores.

Is this a reference to something?

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

SynthOrange posted:

You have a ghost town :v:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is there a mod to make fires spread?

Yes I know what I'm getting into THANK YOU DAD

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

cthulhoo posted:

Periodic dying is dumb, it's like there's no variance in cim lifespan so the entire block dies at the same time.

The game really needs to have some sort of randomized lifespan for cims. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to generate a random death date for each cim based on actuarial tables or whatever.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

How do you actually make updates to an asset you uploaded to the workshop? It seems like every time I save the modified asset it makes a new copy of it that I would have to share separately.

1) Edit asset and save it. This makes a new .crp file in your user Skylines folder in Addons/Assets.
2) Subscribe to asset on Workshop.
3) In Content Manager, go to the Workshop version of the asset and use the Update button.
4) In the new popup, use the folder button, which will open a new window in Explorer/Finder/whatever to a staging folder for that workshop item.
5) Manually copy the new .crp file over the old one in the staging folder.
6) Manually copy a new snapshot over PreviewImage.png in the staging folder.
7) Go back into Skylines and submit the asset update.
8) Delete the .crp file in your user Skylines folder in Addons/Assets to keep the game from complaining at you about duplicate assets.

It's awkward as hell.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Roadie posted:

The game really needs to have some sort of randomized lifespan for cims. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to generate a random death date for each cim based on actuarial tables or whatever.
It is randomized. Once they hit the old age range they have a chance of dieing when they are not doing anything, with the chance of death going up the higher the age counter ticks. Once the counter maxes out (I think at 255) they have a 100% chance of dieing.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Hey guys, I finished the watchtower (while I was editing the UVs earlier to combine faces to save space and pack more detail in, I decided I might as well texture it, etc.):

Get it here! It's a level 3 unique with a huge effect radius but lower tourism value than the unique it's based on (except for high wealth tourists).

I'd recommend using it on Boreal maps, since I'm an idiot and made the ploppable using conifers... :doh: guess I got too into it.

e: I just realized a lot of work I put into it probably went to waste since you can't see the ornamental carvings in the wood in these screenshots.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 19, 2015

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

:iia:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Almost there:

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

KKKlean Energy posted:

Is there a mod to make fires spread?

Yes I know what I'm getting into THANK YOU DAD

Of course there is.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
This being SA, I'm surprised some goon hasn't done a brutalist mod set.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I like how a few people were, understandably, worried a bit that despite the games mod-friendliness, we might not see the number of mods that SC4 did.

Here we are barely a week from release, and the game is right on the doorstep of overtaking SC4 for number of mods released during it's entire 12 year run.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
This game is evil, in the same way that Civilization is evil. It eats hours, and spits out obsessive perfectionism.

After a few tries, I got a good street system going, I think. Large roads branch into medium roads, which branch into small roads. The only problem is the offramps from the highway - as you can see, they're both amateurish and the little stretch up towards the industrial district tends to just clog the entire system up. At first, my industrial area was dying because there weren't enough workers; I think I fixed it by adding more metro connections and building some more low-density residents. Now, they're dying because they can't find buyers for their goods, yet the demand for commercial buildings has been zero for years. What's up there?

Also, all my boats are doing this now for some reason. I'm not really sure why.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

If anyone else wants to tinker with making buildings in Blender, have some stuff.

First a zip of some buildings I've made, Dads Shower Supply, Nakitomi, and my water tower. Includes the .blend files and all the textures so you can see the naming conventions and such.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1mG717URIGtS3JYZTl0X1d1cEU

And a whole heaping pile of mostly low-res tileable textures from who knows where. I've had this collection for years, they're handy for building textures in this game.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1mG717URIGtYUhRTVYyTG43STA

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Alright, how do I break my OCD and make a perfect highway entrance to my first time? I've spent about 4 hours dicking around and would like to make a town that'll at least survive for the first 2k citizens but a lot of my time is just spent wrestling with options for the entrance.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Noyemi K posted:

Hey guys, I finished the watchtower (while I was editing the UVs earlier to combine faces to save space and pack more detail in, I decided I might as well texture it, etc.):

Get it here! It's a level 3 unique with a huge effect radius but lower tourism value than the unique it's based on (except for high wealth tourists).

I'd recommend using it on Boreal maps, since I'm an idiot and made the ploppable using conifers... :doh: guess I got too into it.

e: I just realized a lot of work I put into it probably went to waste since you can't see the ornamental carvings in the wood in these screenshots.

It looks really bright and fake in those screens.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I feel like dirty industry is simply not worth it over building offices everywhere. I had an oil industry district, and had constant traffic problems. After a while, I decided to just turn everything into offices. Now there's no pollution, no traffic, I make more money than before, and I can actually zone residential next to it without people getting sick. Plus I can still build incinerators in the middle of office areas without them caring.

I guess if my city wasn't so highly educated? But just plopping down a couple of schools in a city with good public transport coverage makes nearly everyone in the city highly educated without me even trying. I dunno, for the downsides of dirty industry, it feels like you should make a lot more money from it.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

I, Butthole posted:

Alright, how do I break my OCD and make a perfect highway entrance to my first time? I've spent about 4 hours dicking around and would like to make a town that'll at least survive for the first 2k citizens but a lot of my time is just spent wrestling with options for the entrance.

What I do is build a 2 way next to the highway as close a possible to the map edge and try and get it as close to straight as I can, as the highway doesnt come into the map at a perfect 90* angle BECAUSE REASONS!!!! And then take that road up and over the two highway nubs, draw in my 2 lane one ways that act as highways until I get real highways and then delete the guide 2 way I drew and connect the highways to the 2 lane one ways. After that I either merge the 2 lanes or extend them and upgrade them later when I unlock highways.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

I threw this together in a couple minutes but it's basically just two diamond interchanges and a pseudo-frontage road between them, this will easily support a shitload of people as long as you zone your industry so it's closer to the highway than your residential (which you should be doing anyways). You can upgrade the one-ways to highways and offramps later when you get access, and tear parts of it out as needed to make fancy interchanges. In this setup I wouldn't be building next to the first bridge because I can't make the full onramp setup, so I would wait until I could buy the land above it, this is mostly because moving bridges is much more of a pain in the rear end than redesigning them.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 19, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Can't wait to see some moneyshots!

Also, truly pretty interchanges: it can be done! Takes way too much time though :(

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Domattee posted:

The buildings in the middle look great, shame Turbines dont' do U-turns though. Cargo trucks coming from the City are going to drive all the way to wherever that direction takes them.

You can do a Pinavia interchange instead (like this), with a roundabout added in the middle to allow u-turns, like this:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I feel like dirty industry is simply not worth it over building offices everywhere. I had an oil industry district, and had constant traffic problems. After a while, I decided to just turn everything into offices. Now there's no pollution, no traffic, I make more money than before, and I can actually zone residential next to it without people getting sick. Plus I can still build incinerators in the middle of office areas without them caring.

I guess if my city wasn't so highly educated? But just plopping down a couple of schools in a city with good public transport coverage makes nearly everyone in the city highly educated without me even trying. I dunno, for the downsides of dirty industry, it feels like you should make a lot more money from it.

Offices don't supply enough goods for commercial to sell so you'll either take a happiness loss on your citizens or have a lot of incoming traffic carrying goods to your commercial. Industry meanwhile overproduces drastically, giving you extra non-tax income when you ship it out, but also produces very heavy traffic around the industrial areas since they have to both ship their goods out and the resources in.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I almost want to build this abomination to see how it simulates.

Maybe it doesn't look to bad, but it has a 2 lane coming from downtown (Northeast) with an onramp feeding into it, then merges with another 3 lane, which gets reduced to 4 lanes total. But right now theres a ton of construction happening right after the merge, so theres only 3 lanes and traffic gets backed up REAL fast. Then everyone tries to get off the highway at the last second, clogging up all of the streets near it. Its great :v:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Maybe it doesn't look to bad, but it has a 2 lane coming from downtown (Northeast) with an onramp feeding into it, then merges with another 3 lane, which gets reduced to 4 lanes total. But right now theres a ton of construction happening right after the merge, so theres only 3 lanes and traffic gets backed up REAL fast. Then everyone tries to get off the highway at the last second, clogging up all of the streets near it. Its great :v:

what the gently caress is up with those lanes why are half of them even there

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...b36679d9b?hl=en It's a collector/distributor setup. Pretty nifty.

e: or, rather, a series of de-weaved interchanges.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I'm hoping to recreate this intersection. If it's anything like how it is in real life, nothing will work once rush hour starts.

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD
I like the Industrial Coffee Filter for isolating truck traffic but it gets overwhelmed with congestion when built for a large number of industry buildings. Trucks and cars coming in isn't much of a problem but clearing trucks out often backs up traffic to gridlock. Eliminating the top two lane road and replacing it with three lane highway back to the freeway made a huge difference in clearing out traffic.

Here are a couple of screens of this high density residential zone and its attached industrial zone. With a truck ban in the residential to prevent trucks taking shortcuts.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Domattee posted:

Offices don't supply enough goods for commercial to sell so you'll either take a happiness loss on your citizens or have a lot of incoming traffic carrying goods to your commercial. Industry meanwhile overproduces drastically, giving you extra non-tax income when you ship it out, but also produces very heavy traffic around the industrial areas since they have to both ship their goods out and the resources in.

My town seems perfectly happy with the one district I have for heavy commercial, (maybe because of the parks/commercial bug) and I haven't noticed any problems with import traffic to that area, so :shrug:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

HA I used to live a mile east on the freeway there on orchard/odle, at the next exit down. gently caress that highway exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Koesj posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...b36679d9b?hl=en It's a collector/distributor setup. Pretty nifty.

e: or, rather, a series of de-weaved interchanges.

If it worked like they wanted it to there wouldn't be at least 1 crash every day. Though that could be chocked up to boise drivers being loving insane. There's also a boatload of onramp/offramp weaving towards downtown too :sun: