Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Lawen posted:

I know this is pedantic and I haven't read the book, so maybe it is in fact post-modern but what you described sounds a lot like what Cervantes did in Don Quixote and its sequel. In fact, Radiolab did a show recently where they compared meta-narratives in Cervantes and pro wrestling that's worth a listen, the episode is called "La Mancha Screwjob".

I haven't read Quixote yet so I can't really comment on what it does, but you might be hitting at a reasonable point. Binet writes HHhH as a partial thesis saying that the whole "historical novel" is inherently problematic as a way to describe true moments in time - something the author brings up repeatedly. Binet also comments on his own obsession with the subject matter at hand and how challenging it is to give every single true fact its proper due when telling a cohesive narrative. HHhH has an interesting tale to tell and I'd recommend it, but I guess at the end of the day I like my historical stuff written more straightforward.

The City & the City by China Mieville is the latest book I've finished. I didn't really dig it. The ending felt rushed and almost every character felt undefined for the most part. The whole overlapping cities aspect of the novel was INCREDIBLE though, and Mieville's visual ideas are pretty astonishing. I look forward to reading more of his stuff despite my lukewarm response to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan - well written and very bleak novel about Australian POWs being used by the Japanese as slave labor to build a railway during WWII. The author's really good at describing all the horrendous suffering and the daily murderous grind of the POW camps, as well as other truly monstrous wartime atrocities.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Captain Hotbutt posted:

The City & the City by China Mieville is the latest book I've finished. I didn't really dig it. The ending felt rushed and almost every character felt undefined for the most part. The whole overlapping cities aspect of the novel was INCREDIBLE though, and Mieville's visual ideas are pretty astonishing. I look forward to reading more of his stuff despite my lukewarm response to this one.

Honestly despite the fact that Perdido Street Station has this reputation of being incredibly weird it's much more logically set out than C&C. It just has bug people.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

The Last Refuge by Gregory Johnsen. This book explains how Al Qaeda cells developed in Yemen up until 2012 or so, ultimately becoming known as AQAP (Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula). While it does cover some familiar ground (Osama bin Laden etc) there are lots of fascinating details of the Houthi tribe, which is particularly useful now that the Houthis have taken over Yemen. This history is intertwined with descriptions of tribal culture and traditions that play a large role in how certain events go down. It also covers a few drone strikes orchestrated by the Obama administration which resulted in lots of civilian casualties, and how US intelligence generally had no clue what the gently caress was going on, which I always find enjoyable. Overall I found the book fascinating and very helpful in understanding what is going on in Yemen.

Ezzum
Mar 13, 2014

For Now
Been a while since I posted here! Feels nostalgic somehow.

Just finished The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero, who is one of the principal actors in The Room. It's well-written (not sure if that's Sestero himself or his co-author) and one of the funniest, most bizarre books I've ever read. I suppose in reality I've read weirder books, but the fact that this one is ostensibly a true story takes it to new levels. It's kind of amazing that Tommy Wiseau exists, that's all I have to say.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, i read that last year. Remarkable story of a bizarre guy. Excellent stuff.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Last week I started and finished Guards! Guards! in a couple of days. Liked it much better than Mort, my previous, first, Discworld book. Now I'm sucked in for the entire series.

:(

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Just finished Chuck Wendig's Double Dead and Patricia Brigg's Dead Heat.

The first is involves a zombie apocalypse where the protagonist is a vampire who realizes his feeding habits are going to have to change. As a bonus, the story includes an encounter with a post-apocalyptic society run and populated by juggaloes.

The second is one in a series of urban fantasy books (Alpha and Omega) that is a cut above that of other authors in the genre. Briggs writes characters well, and the world in this series and the concurrent Mercy Thompson books is very grounded and well-thought-out. If you want to give urban fantasy a try, I highly recommend Briggs' novels.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 18, 2015

Pear-Drop
Mar 14, 2015

It's anime not animes you baka.
I just finished House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. I can honestly say it's the creepiest thing I've ever read but you can gets hours of fun from it. Well I say that but in actuality most of the people who got fun out of it was my literature class who kept taking it from me and ogling it like some strange alien being. The less I say about the plot the better but I can say it's about a man who finds a mysterious record and investigates it. I should also mention it's quite a chore to get through as the formatting is all over the place, narrators constantly change and there are footnotes throughout. But you know the book you're reading is going to be great when the first sentence is "This is not for you".

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I recently finished a pair of books on the development of popular video games, Masters of Doom and Jacked. Both by David Kusher. Masters is about Doom and the two John's Carmack and Romero, it details their childhoods, starts in programming and their partnership which lead to Id and then the resulting drama that brought it all down. Its a factual narrative which makes what was potentially a dull biography about outsiders typing in code all day into a very readable tail about human foibles.

Jacked is pretty much the same only about Grand Theft Auto, it also has some very interesting titbits about Jack Thompson, however I think this book was rushed through QC, at one point the book details a 2004 discussion with the British Prime Minister Gordon Brown... and the epilogue has a different footnoting system to the rest of the book. Still both were pretty interesting.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Just finished Submergence by J.M. Ledgard. Holy poo poo. This book basically knocked me on my rear end. It's not especially long but it is especially detailed, painting these incredibly rich portraits of things as diverse as terrorist lodgings in Africa and things living at the bottom of the ocean that's never seen light. Reading it is sort of like being made aware of how big the world really is, but also how small and fragile everything is at the same time, and how meaningless most things actually are.

I've heard it called "postmodern airport fiction" and it kind of is — the two main characters, a British super spy and a globe-trotting, genius oceanographer — seem like they'd be at home in a Clive Cussler novel, but Ledgard delves so deeply into their psyches and their personal histories that they arrive at a kind of three dimensionality that's rarely seen in popular novels. The plot, such as there is, is nothing special — it's about a man captured by terrorists thinking back on a short relationship he had with a woman. But it's sort of like Moby Dick — the book is actually about it's many diversions, rather than the plot, so it doesn't matter that nothing much actually happens. Linguistically, it's interesting — Ledgard sort of builds it up from a lot of short declarative sentences that describe what's happening but leave it to the reader to assign meaning to it. It jumps freely through time and place, but it's not quite stream-of-consciousness, and it never gets hard to read.

Easily the best book I've read in months.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Pear-Drop posted:

I just finished House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. I can honestly say it's the creepiest thing I've ever read but you can gets hours of fun from it. Well I say that but in actuality most of the people who got fun out of it was my literature class who kept taking it from me and ogling it like some strange alien being. The less I say about the plot the better but I can say it's about a man who finds a mysterious record and investigates it. I should also mention it's quite a chore to get through as the formatting is all over the place, narrators constantly change and there are footnotes throughout. But you know the book you're reading is going to be great when the first sentence is "This is not for you".

This is still my favorite book. It's awesome that a paperback full color book this large and fantastic is only $9.99 on amazon. I have given it out as gifts to the right people. I've probably read it three times in full and still find myself reading the introduction by Johnny Truant every once in a while because it is just downright creepy as gently caress. If anyone in here has not read this, they absolutely should.

The story at the end, the "I have nothing left, except this..." one about Dr. Nowell that Johnny got in Seattle.. That poo poo had me in tears for some reason.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. I don't read much fantasy outside of Terry Pratchett and Lev Grossman these days, but this was really good and has me itching for more like it.

My goodreads review posted:

This is a standalone, which is one of the reasons I picked it in the first place, but now I've come to the end, I wish it was the beginning of a series!

It's a pretty "cozy" book, in that there's not much in the way of adventure or action. It almost all takes place within the court and palace of the new, reluctant emperor Maia, who just happens to be one of the most pleasant and likeable characters I've come across in any fantasy book. Maia is just an all-round great guy, and the entire book is focused on his attempts to not be a lovely emperor like his father was. He's a complex character with interesting motivations, fears, strengths and weaknesses. He's a protagonist you feel really good about rooting for.

The book was just thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end, with some great supporting characters too. The main race in the story are elves — there are also goblins, and half-breeds like Maia, and only one or two mentions of humans — but they're a bit different to Tolkien elves. One of the most interesting thing the author did was to have the characters' ears move and convey emotion all the time. This made them a lot more animal-like in my mind, and thus they felt like a fresh take on a fantasy staple.

The world (more steampunk-tinged than your usual medieval setting) and its history were interesting; and there were some positively portrayed gay/lesbian minor characters, which is always a plus.

The one downside to the book was the over-use of made up words, and complicated fantasy names/titles. It took almost half the book to wrap my head around who was who, and what meant what. After that though (and after upgrading to a Kindle with the X-Ray feature, which acted like a pop-up glossary of characters), it was just smooth sailing.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Rasputin: The Untold Story by Joseph Furhmann

In a word: godawful. I thought this would be a somewhat enjoyable and diverting read, but I often found myself wondering why reading a book with 240 pages of content feel like reading a 1000-page medical textbook. In a nutshell: Fuhrmann's writing style is tedious, he doesn't use footnotes to cite sources (which makes the whole thing feel like gossip), he spends a ridiculous amount of time wallowing in obscure political details and then, when he gets to the interesting part (Rasputin's assassination), gives it a quick gloss-over and wraps it up with the most student-level summary imaginable. gently caress you.

0 out of 5 stars

IT BURNS fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 19, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just finished Wolf In White Van which I learned about accidentally in the "pretty book covers" thread. It's written by the lead singer of the Mountain Goats and it's loving good.

Not a lot of things HAPPEN in it, it's just sort of a reflection on this guy's life and what he was like as a kid and it's brilliant.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Nevvy Z posted:

I just finished Wolf In White Van which I learned about accidentally in the "pretty book covers" thread. It's written by the lead singer of the Mountain Goats and it's loving good.

Not a lot of things HAPPEN in it, it's just sort of a reflection on this guy's life and what he was like as a kid and it's brilliant.

^^ I think i was the one that posted the cover in there, I liked it

Just finished Flatterland by I don't remember, already got returned. More or less a "sequel" to Flatland, just a hundred years later. I never read the old one but had seen the film

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pear-Drop posted:

I got about three pages into House of Leaves and found myself in full agreement with the first sentence. Danielewski is the 21st century's answer to James Joyce.

I am rereading Discworld. :(

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah, he's nuts. It's obviously Brandon Sanderson.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

^^ I think i was the one that posted the cover in there, I liked it

Just finished Flatterland by I don't remember, already got returned. More or less a "sequel" to Flatland, just a hundred years later. I never read the old one but had seen the film

Flatland is pretty good, not sure where a sequel can go though. Could you do a spoiler synopsis I'm interested?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hahhaha

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Funny, my copy of Flat-land came with Sphere-land. I haven't read it as I can't imagine it being as interesting as Flat-land.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

This is the 21st century's answer to Roy Lichtenstein.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kevsop posted:

I just finished reading The Martian by Andy Weir. Tried it out by recommendation of a friend and it was pretty good. Its about an astronaut who gets left on mars when a near-future mission goes wrong, and has to deal with surviving as long as he can. I would recommend it if you're a space nerd.

I liked this and Ready Player One for the Sci-Fi/humor blend. I need more books that are nerdy, funny, and have some action. A friend has me reading The Sparrow and so far so good.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I've been an a massive re-read of some of my favourite books/authors from the 1980s, starting with all of David Brin, because I had just finished Existance. Glad to say that all his books held up very well. (Although I haven't yet dug out The Practice Effect and Sundiver. Blood Music, by Greg Bear, didn't hold up quite so well but is still a good story. well worth reading. I had forgotten the "Um, really?" parts of Courtship Rite, by Donald Kingsbury, but remain impressed. Mary Gentle's Golden Witchbreed is still a powerful book, remarkable and engrossing. I disavow any knowledge of the sequel. I'm about to start Snow Queen, by Joan Vinge, and hope it's as good as I remember.

So far, I'm quite pleased that my favourites are still holding strong as favourites.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

rock2much posted:

I liked this and Ready Player One for the Sci-Fi/humor blend. I need more books that are nerdy, funny, and have some action. A friend has me reading The Sparrow and so far so good.

Definitely check out The Book of Strange New Things by M Faber. It's a beautiful book and is along the same lines as The Sparrow.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tina fey. And her book. Both good

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Dirty Frank posted:

Flatland is pretty good, not sure where a sequel can go though. Could you do a spoiler synopsis I'm interested?

Not even going to bother with spoilers since you already know the premis of Flatland. Basically picks up 100 years later with a distant relative of A Square finding a copy of Flatland(or Romance of Many Dimensions, or whatever it was called internally). She meets her own guide through various dimensions and they hit concept by concept. Obviously since 1880's there have been radical advancements in mathematics- things like black and white and worm holes, perspective and projection, speed of light, topology, etc. It's not so much a single story as the framework to talk about the different concepts and then move on to the next

rock2much posted:

Is this the one about the virtual reality game world that had a ton of references to 80s and games and such?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Is this the one about the virtual reality game world that had a ton of references to 80s and games and such?

Yup that's the one.

Pear-Drop
Mar 14, 2015

It's anime not animes you baka.
Just finished re-reading On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan. I say re-read as we read it in literature class about a year ago- I have never read of book so divisive in my life. Most of the crap we read was pretty standard. Taming of the Shrew? Yeah Petruchio is a dick. But this book had some of my classmates boiling with rage and not because it was bad. On first glance it doesn't seem like the kind of book to get people annoyed- it's about a couple in the 60's going on a honeymoon. A lot of the book kind of drags but it had a lot of emotional power especially towards the end, an ending my teacher cried at. But it's an ending that had my whole class split and really told me a lot about some of my classmate's opinion's on sexual assault- let's just say some of them were very adamant it was the victim's fault.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I just finished Temps, a superhero fiction anthology edited by Neil gaiman and Alex Stewart that's now out of print. Very cool, most of the short stories are interesting early 90s British takes on superhero stuff. One of the stories, pitbull Brittan, happened to be both the longest and worst, but a lot of the other stories varied from good to stellar.

Also finished the miracle of castel Di Sangro by joe McGinnis. Very good book about an American author that gets bit with the soccer bug in the 90s and follows an Italian lower division team from a small mountain town that miraculously made it to Serie B the season before try to stay there. He's kind of a dick, but credit to him for portraying himself that way. Apart from the early chapters which spent too much time justifying how An American could like soccer and explaining what, for example, a corner kick was, it was an engrossing read.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Double post.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

xian posted:

I just finished Temps, a superhero fiction anthology edited by Neil gaiman and Alex Stewart that's now out of print. Very cool, most of the short stories are interesting early 90s British takes on superhero stuff. One of the stories, pitbull Brittan, happened to be both the longest and worst, but a lot of the other stories varied from good to stellar.

Pitbull Britain is a direct spoof of 70s boys' war comics like Battle and Warlord. If you haven't read those you won't get the joke.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well that explains that, then!

cloven hoof
Mar 17, 2009
Beautiful You by Chuck Palahniuk. Very wacky sci fi involving sex toys.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is it new?

Edit: Oct 14, so yeah. Excellent, thanks. I'm a big fan of his work.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Hollywood Causes Cancer by Tom Green. He's very love it or hate it as a performer/actor/etc but I've always liked his stuff but even if you don't like Tom Green the book goes into the production of his stint on MTV which is pretty fascinating as a behind-the-scenes narrative. I'd recommend it.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
What If? by Randall Munroe. It's a book where the description on the front cover of it reads "Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions". Munroe's qualifications for this book are he was a graduate of MIT and former mathematician at NASA, and has basically already had to work out similar stuff for his former occupation. The book is filled with humor as well as scientific fact, with simple stick figure drawings that illustrate what that paragraph or the following passages are basically about. If the book is at all interesting to you I'd advise you to check out either his well-known webcomic, XKCD or his equally well known blog, What if?, a weekly blog on which the book is based on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Just want to second the awesomeness of What If? I only read xkcd if someone links it on Twitter or something, but I saw that book on a lot of best of lists, picked it up, and didn't put it down till it was done