Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Never reroll: you get new AP at the same increment of XP, and you get more XP in later quests, so you're always better continuing an existing suboptimal character and adding new tricks rather than starting from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Helmholz posted:

As far as I can tell, it does.

Confirmed, the sprint toggle affects jump length. I just reinstalled and found myself at the jumps that were giving me fits. Got into position, flicked the toggle on, and sailed across with a foot to spare. Blar!

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

How do you get more costumes, is there a way to do that that isn't the cash shop?

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

xutech posted:

How do you get more costumes, is there a way to do that that isn't the cash shop?

There's a bunch of shops in London. Go on, blow your PAX.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Solved all of my Blue Mountain problems by basically totally changing up my build. Switched from fist/blood to fist/chaos using the Executioner deck as a framework and now I'm pretty easily tearing things apart. The one issue I'm having is a lack of AoE damage but I do enough single target that it doesn't seem to be a huge issue. Feels like I need a stupid amount of hit to keep it going though later down the line, though. Any feed back is much appreciated. I'd like to finish the storyline before Funcom winds up collapsing after their next project blows up terribly.

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 15, 2015

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

Bombogenesis posted:

Solved all of my Blue Mountain problems by basically totally changing up my build. Switched from fist/blood to fist/chaos using the Executioner deck as a framework and now I'm pretty easily tearing things apart. The one issue I'm having is a lack of AoE damage but I do enough single target that it doesn't seem to be a huge issue. Feels like I need a stupid amount of hit to keep it going though later down the line, though. Any feed back is much appreciated. I'd like to finish the storyline before Funcom winds up collapsing after their next project blows up terribly.

Made some edits to what you have. Hopefully they help - applying Exposed is always useful if you have Chaos, and who doesn't like a bit of DOT?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Is crit still the better way to go, or did they balance the elite passives so that penetration is as good?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bauxite posted:

Is crit still the better way to go, or did they balance the elite passives so that penetration is as good?

This is something I'd like to know as well. Especially for PVP, if there is any experience in that floating around. How do the raw damage numbers compare?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bauxite posted:

I don't know what game you were playing but penetration has always been the top dog by a mile.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Bauxite posted:

Crit is much more expensive of a stat than pene since you need crit dmg to make it viable, whereas pene is a flat bonus. Also, your rotations are always going to revolve around Elemental Force anyway, with other crits being nice-to-haves. The other piece of it is also that pene is needed to bypass block (try doing polaris NM with low pene), whereas there is no defensive skill that directly counters CC. Pene just makes much more sense from an itemization standpoint -- most endgame builds carry 300 CC and 900 pene (and 650 hit) for baseline, with surplus going into CR (hope you have a CIB).

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

revenance posted:

whereas there is no defensive skill that directly counters CC

My understanding was that Crit Chance is checked against Defense as the third step in an attack computation if an attack is neither evaded (step 1) nor glancing (step 2, skip to step 4 - block chance - if attack is glancing). Is that wrong?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The 3 combat rolls are:

Off.Stat/Success/Failure/Def.Stat
Hit Rating/Hit/Miss/Evade
Crit Rating/Crit/Glance/Defense
Pen/Penetrate/Block/Block

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Toshimo posted:

I don't know what game you were playing but penetration has always been the top dog by a mile.

Man I lucked out on my skill and stat decisions. Everything was newb-goggles and it ended up largely being good decisions.

Just finished the main story and every side quest up to and including issue #7, that was pretty drat good. I think I'm going to stop here for now, cause that was like 120 hours and a pretty decent experience.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Dareon posted:

Yeah, you can group up with anyone no matter what server, it only matters for PVP.

And even then not much.

Really? You mean I can run instances with goons from other servers? Because LFG is always dead when I am on.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

My understanding was that Crit Chance is checked against Defense as the third step in an attack computation if an attack is neither evaded (step 1) nor glancing (step 2, skip to step 4 - block chance - if attack is glancing). Is that wrong?

Toshimo posted:

The 3 combat rolls are:

Off.Stat/Success/Failure/Def.Stat
Hit Rating/Hit/Miss/Evade
Crit Rating/Crit/Glance/Defense
Pen/Penetrate/Block/Block

Hit Rating also impacts glance chance, which is why it's the #1 stat until 650. You can miss (and thus, not crit), you can glance (and be unable to crit), and you can hit (and still not crit). You can't, however, crit on a glance. Therefore, crit has a negligible impact on glance chance if you have the requisite hit rating. Plus, it would be a prohibitively expensive stat to actually focus on crit as the stat to actually push glances off the table instead of hit.

https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?65533-The-Reaper-The-complete-guide-to-rifle-leech-healing-(more-power-edition)

See post #6 for a breakdown of the stats.

edit: I guess the problem with my first post is I assume every scenario includes having the minimum hit rating, which is why I forgot that there technically is a defensive counter to CC -- it's just negligible.
edit2: I am not suggesting crit isn't useful, it's just that you have a hardcap of glyph points and crit is the LEAST useful because of how hit and pene are weighed as well as the existence of stims or kickbacks (I forget which one gives you CC and which gives CR) and EF (which essentially gives you a baseline 12.5% crit chance, guaranteed on the hit of your choosing).

revenance fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 17, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Double Rabite posted:

Really? You mean I can run instances with goons from other servers? Because LFG is always dead when I am on.

I haven't been on in forever and would probably be shouted out of them but the pubbies tend to be on #noobmares and #sanctuary.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

revenance posted:

Hit Rating also impacts glance chance...

Thanks for the clarification, I had been wondering if I needed more hit on my crit-fishing build. Glances (And evades of my consumers) are the bane of my existence.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
I logged back into this game for the first time in forever because of this thread. Apparently I have 30 Veteran Points? Hooray!

...The only problem is, do I spend it on a Reconstructor? Or on a Creepy Zebra Mask?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I could probably tank some if I sort out my build and gear. Also relearn all the mechanics. The basics aren't that hard, all I do is spin round. Right round. Like a record, baby. But I tend to forget what bosses do because it has been a while. If you find two competent people they can probably carry you all the way up to nightmares, takes three to carry you through them and you will have to bring a shotgun.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
Speaking of shotguns, can anyone recommend a solid shotgun-based build? When I stopped playing last, I was halfway through Egypt and running some sort of hybrid build with Rifles for ranged healing and Shotgun to help with crowd control. I think pre-Egypt dungeons had something to do with this. Most of my skills are focused on guns, but if I have to start building elsewhere, that's fine too.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
The worst part about reinstalling is spending the hour resorting all my signets and crap since all 300 items get crammed into a single 5xinfinity bag.

Aside from that I'm enjoying playing again, nostalgia or enjoying the changes - who knows!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Full Metal Boxers posted:

I logged back into this game for the first time in forever because of this thread. Apparently I have 30 Veteran Points? Hooray!

...The only problem is, do I spend it on a Reconstructor? Or on a Creepy Zebra Mask?

Do you have a horse mask? If not get the zebra. If you do get the reconstructor. It's useful for times where you haven't been paying attention to you gear and get into an instanced zone where you can't repair.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Any goon running a goon guild? shirley there should be enough of us.

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
Hopping in on the bandwagon. I originally bought the game like two years ago and quit playing after two hours. I reinstalled about a week ago and I'm almost done with Kingsmouth. I'm down to run that first dungeon with some people or join the goon guild fun.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Toshimo posted:

I was probably just confused then, since I never got into the actual high end stuff, but I remember that the crit elite passive for elementalist (I want to say it was livewire?) was the best dps elite passive by a mile, and since it was procced from crit you wanted crit to abuse it, and since you were already stacking crit for it you'd want to use crit passives or something. I'm actually pretty happy if pene's better, it was always a more satisfying stat because of that sound effect they gave it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It was great because it was the best sort of crit, the one you can plan for (and abuse). Actual random crits in this game blow.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Bauxite posted:

I was probably just confused then, since I never got into the actual high end stuff, but I remember that the crit elite passive for elementalist (I want to say it was livewire?) was the best dps elite passive by a mile, and since it was procced from crit you wanted crit to abuse it, and since you were already stacking crit for it you'd want to use crit passives or something. I'm actually pretty happy if pene's better, it was always a more satisfying stat because of that sound effect they gave it.

Seal the Deal is the preferred elite passive. You abuse crits using Elemental Force, so every 8th hit is going to be Shootout, Exsanguination, 3RB, etc, which will benefit from StD while having a 100% crit chance for every hit in the skill (5x for SO and Exs, 3x for 3RB).

Pretty much every viable DPS build (34 of them) found here, along with the rotations to abuse EF with:

https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?81953-Katarina1-End-game-DPS-guide-High-Performance

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

Is there a place where I can browse some up-to-date builds? I'm still looking for some shotgun-related advice.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Full Metal Boxers posted:

Is there a place where I can browse some up-to-date builds? I'm still looking for some shotgun-related advice.

Literally the post above yours.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

Derp. Thanks.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

flatluigi posted:

As far as I'm aware it doesn't actually matter

It's Grim. We're all on Grim.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

xutech posted:

Do achievements.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I saw Orcane hanging around London yesterday. Does that mean you're getting the band back together? And by that I mean three people that drag me through more nightmare poo poo so I can figure out where I was going with anything.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had to buy more valentine RNG bag clothes, but had to stop when some of them reached eight figures because I don't have nearly enough money. I could log in more to actually play again I guess, since I never really played Tokyo beyond reaching the zone and hating the mobs and new mechanics.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Wait a minute. There's a revamp?!

I don't get it. There doesn't seem to be any sort of notable change? Where's the revamp?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

TSW + Issues #5-8 on sale for $20.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Toshimo posted:

I don't get it. There doesn't seem to be any sort of notable change? Where's the revamp?

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/enhanced_player_experience

Heres the revamp info, not a lot of specifics about what changes were made so I'm in no real rush to reinstall.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Enkmar posted:

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/enhanced_player_experience

Heres the revamp info, not a lot of specifics about what changes were made so I'm in no real rush to reinstall.

quote:

The Council of Venice has reduced the amount of training needed to progress to Tokyo. Players now only need one mandatory training session in the virtual reality training facility.

This right here. They finally realized scenarios are loving garbage.

Edit:

quote:

Players can now directly see the strength of their own gear. Everyone has their own Effusion Rating (similar to Gear Score in other games) which shows the combined strength of all Weapons, Talismans and their Glyphs.

Patching just to see my Gear Score. I bet it's low.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I wonder how it handles raid 10.4s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oooh they changed the login screen art!

• Locked thread