Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I thought that episode was ok though obviously Migi dying should have been way more dramatic but the start felt like it came out of nowhere, I had to go back and check that I hadn't missed an episode somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Migi's death could have been sadder if not for the fact that we know Shinichi has a bunch of Migi cells inside his body, making his return possible.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Migi's death could have been sadder if not for the fact that we know Shinichi has a bunch of Migi cells inside his body, making his return possible.
I was about to start ranting about "that's not how it works" and then I remembered that no, in this story that IS exactly how it works.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Twiddy posted:

I was about to start ranting about "that's not how it works" and then I remembered that no, in this story that IS exactly how it works.

Is it though? I got the feeling that Migi might have left a little bit of him behind (I don't mean the parts that were already inside Shinichi), and that part is just sentient enough to communicate via dreams. Or Migi could have been wrong about how far gone the pieces inside Shinichi were.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm an episode behind and catching up, and man, they pulled off that sex scene really well. It got the point across without being fanservicey at all, which was really unexpected since the manga didn't show the same restraint iirc.

It didn't feel gratuitous there either, but I feel even more comfortable saying that about how the anime handled it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

RabidWeasel posted:

I thought that episode was ok though obviously Migi dying should have been way more dramatic but the start felt like it came out of nowhere, I had to go back and check that I hadn't missed an episode somehow.

Yes, agreed, and I did the same.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I felt like Migi dying was pretty dramatic and emotional, honestly.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I felt like Migi dying was pretty dramatic and emotional, honestly.

Yeah I don't know why everyone is soured on this episode, it seemed ok to me.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
There is no way Migi is actually dead. We didn't see his shrivelly-corpse, so there is 100% chance that he is currently a prisoner of Gotou. The reason Gotou can't maintain a human shape is that Migi is using his newfound human willpower to fight him.

Ending prediction: Brain Gotou gets killed and eaten by Migi, Migi hijacks mega-body and escapes to start a brand new life somewhere quiet

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Squidster posted:

There is no way Migi is actually dead. We didn't see his shrivelly-corpse, so there is 100% chance that he is currently a prisoner of Gotou. The reason Gotou can't maintain a human shape is that Migi is using his newfound human willpower to fight him.

Ending prediction: Brain Gotou gets killed and eaten by Migi, Migi hijacks mega-body and escapes to start a brand new life somewhere quiet

My initial guess was that Migi pretended to get killed but is somehow hitching a ride on Gotou. This would satisfy both Migi's human-ish self-sacrifice to protect Shinichi, and also Migi's inevitable parasyte self-preservation instincts that I assume would kick in the longer Migi was separated from Shinichi's body.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I definitely agree that Migi's sacrifice really came out of left field, but I really enjoyed the episode otherwise.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This episode was the first time I wished I could remember more of the manga. Migi's sacrifice being kind of rushed-through didn't bother me that much because it felt more like a set-up to something rather than having any finality, especially since as was already mentioned there was no fully desiccated corpse before the scene cut away.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Oh yeah this part. It's really cool.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean we still have 2 eps to go.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Good episode.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

im shinichi's 80s as gently caress sleeveless collarless shirt

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That's okay Gotou can style for both of them.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It didn't feel gratuitous there either, but I feel even more comfortable saying that about how the anime handled it.

That's because anime has censorship and strict laws against obscenity on TV unlike manga :colbert:

I'm only still here watching because I'm still holding out hope for migixShinji where they elope and move to America :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can't wait for the next episode of Seii to Sei.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
So...are we supposed to know who is in the grandma's picture near the end? They way they linger on it makes me think we should know the person...

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Repo Man posted:

So...are we supposed to know who is in the grandma's picture near the end? They way they linger on it makes me think we should know the person...
Her dead husband or son, presumably. Context is very important.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Repo Man posted:

I think it's the cop who was babysitting the serial killer.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

quakster posted:

Her dead husband or son, presumably. Context is very important.

I know that much. I meant a specific person we met in the show.

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it's the cop who was babysitting the serial killer.

It didn't quite look like him though. That guy had spikey hair. Maybe it could be one of Gotou's first victims? He looks a little bit like the first face that Gotou uses, once I looked Gotou up.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Question for people who've read the manga: Is the anime close to the end, or is there more to go?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's two? episodes from the end, the show is covering the entire thing

(are there 24,25 or 26 episodes?)

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
so what if migi took over his penis

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Ancient Blades posted:

so what if migi took over his penis

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
gently caress i actually gotta read threads

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Repo Man posted:

No, that's a family Buddhist shrine. They could be either her late husband, siblings, or random relatives. I don't think they were supposed to be actual minor characters in the show we're met so far.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Alder posted:

No, that's a family Buddhist shrine. They could be either her late husband, siblings, or random relatives. I don't think they were supposed to be actual minor characters in the show we're met so far.

Read my other comment. I know what the shrine is, I'm familiar with them. However, you don't show a face like that without reason, which is why I suspect that Gotou used Granny's husband as his first victim. Except for the hair, Gotou's first face looks exactly like that guy. It would be fitting if that's the case, since Gotou sorta-kinda "came home" if it is him.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Only got the epilogue left~.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

Question for people who've read the manga: Is the anime close to the end, or is there more to go?

From what I remember I think we just have the epilogue left.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Captain Planet was wrong

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

that episode was hype as gently caress

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Man that was heavy-handed. It was getting so philosophical that it was breaking characterization.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

There Bias Two posted:

Man that was heavy-handed. It was getting so philosophical that it was breaking characterization.

Yeah that bit where the duo were having a moral crisis over killing Gotou was a bit :psyduck:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gotta agree with Shinichi's justification though. It'd be nice if all species could live in harmony, but the world doesn't really work like that.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ccs posted:

Gotta agree with Shinichi's justification though. It'd be nice if all species could live in harmony, but the world doesn't really work like that.

Yep. Any ecologist would admit that nature doesn't really have a balance per se, just plateaus of relative stability. It's all tooth and claw.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
There wasn't really any question if he should kill the near invincible relentless killing machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

There Bias Two posted:

Yep. Any ecologist would admit that nature doesn't really have a balance per se, just plateaus of relative stability. It's all tooth and claw.

Someone probably should have explained that to Mayor McCheese before he hooked up with the maneating bladeheaded aliens

• Locked thread