Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I think I underreported my taxes last year. I have a fellowship that pays for some–but not all–of my salary, but they do not send any kind of tax form (I just double checked). When I did my taxes last year, I just inputed my employer's W2 info and sent it in. It hit me as I was doing my taxes this year that the other source of income is probably not reflected in my W2, and I would need to report it independently. Is there some form I can fill out to amend last year's tax return? And for anyone who knows, can I do this in TurboTax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

AbbiTheDog posted:

OH MY GOD. I don't know about the rest of you preparers, but this year sucks rear end.

Form 3115 is just magical... :magical:

drainpipe posted:

I think I underreported my taxes last year. I have a fellowship that pays for some–but not all–of my salary, but they do not send any kind of tax form (I just double checked). When I did my taxes last year, I just inputed my employer's W2 info and sent it in. It hit me as I was doing my taxes this year that the other source of income is probably not reflected in my W2, and I would need to report it independently. Is there some form I can fill out to amend last year's tax return? And for anyone who knows, can I do this in TurboTax?

You're going to have to prepare a Form 1040X (and state equivalents) - I think Turbo Tax allows you to prepare it, but it will have to be paper filed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

As a not preparer who already did his taxes, any specifics as to why this year sucks balls?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

silvergoose posted:

As a not preparer who already did his taxes, any specifics as to why this year sucks balls?
Form 3115 namely. http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2015/01/28/form-3115-adds-confusion-cost-but-may-be-required-for-2015/

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

As someone who filled out 3115s on the regular before the repair regs landed, I don't get everyone's issue with it. Sure it's one more form, but it's not really that complex.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bloody Queef posted:

As someone who filled out 3115s on the regular before the repair regs landed, I don't get everyone's issue with it. Sure it's one more form, but it's not really that complex.
Thats what it appeared to me, but I've read plenty of bitching here and on the interwebs. I don't do tax stuff, and my companies tax dept (a dozen ish folks who sit next to my team) said it was NBD too... Beats me!

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

SiGmA_X posted:

Thats what it appeared to me, but I've read plenty of bitching here and on the interwebs. I don't do tax stuff, and my companies tax dept (a dozen ish folks who sit next to my team) said it was NBD too... Beats me!

It's probably a big deal to people who usually prep individual and small company returns that aren't used to working with accounting method changes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

silvergoose posted:

And here I was thinking it was the 8962 and 1095 A stuff people were complaining about. I suppose that mostly is hurting the big tax preparer chains and fly by night operators.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

silvergoose posted:

It's the 1095-A for the self-employed for us. Ugh. Circular calculation that we're doing by hand.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

Bloody Queef posted:

It's probably a big deal to people who usually prep individual and small company returns that aren't used to working with accounting method changes.

I'm pretty sure the issue isn't the form itself, but the calculations/opportunities that become available with the form. I've yet to see an entity that holds real property that doesn't have a substantial 481(a) adjustment due to ghost assets, partial dispositions, life changes, or whatever.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I need some clarification on if/how I can deduct my monthly health insurance premiums from last year. My case is a bit... more unusual than most.

-My employer offers a qualified health insurance plan through UHC. However, it is GOD AWFUL for my needs and would cost me a small fortune. So I opted out of it and bought a plan from Florida Blue (Florida's Blue Cross/Blue Shield provider)

-Because the health care law is stupid, I do NOT qualify for any subsidies, on account of my employer offering me a lovely (but still technically a qualified) plan. Thus I've had to pay the monthly premiums in full, out of pocket.

-As I was working in Turbotax, I got to a point where I could enter those premiums in, provided I have form 1095-A. I never got this form.

-I didn't sign up for the plan on healthcare.gov; I signed up directly through Florida Blue, who I believe did it through healthcare.gov themselves, saving me the hassle.

-I went back to Florida Blue, and they told me I didn't get one because I don't qualify for a deduction, since I never got subsidies. But to me this makes no sense; shouldn't the fact that I paid out of pocket, post-tax (since it wasn't coming out of my paycheck), and without any subsidies whatsoever mean I should DEFINITELY be able to deduct it?

tl;dr: I want a 1095-A :(

Ballz fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 14, 2015

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

Ballz posted:

tl;dr: I want a 1095-A :(

Willing to be proved wrong here, but insurance premiums paid outside of an employer-sponsored plan are not tax deductible except in limited circumstances (self employed with no employer-sponsored insurance available, or if you itemize and premiums+medical expenses exceed 10% of your total income). But in that last case, you'd only be able to deduct the amount over 10% of your income. A major reason that I have not ditched my crappy, expensive employer plan is that without a tax deduction "comparably priced" plans are actually more expensive.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, basic explanation of 1095-A and premium tax credit; if your income is between 100%-400% of the Federal poverty line you receive a refundable "premium tax credit". The complicated annoying way this works is if you have insurance from healthcare.gov, and have this credit, you can "take it in advance" and have it divided by 12 and applied to your health insurance premiums to reduce the cost each month by the amount of the credit. The reason for the 1095-A stuff is at the end of the year you have to perform a "reconciliation" where you compare the amount of credit you got in advance each month to what you should have received at your income/household size, and pay back any extra you got with your taxes (or get extra money back if you didn't take all the credit you were eligible for).

Now, in this particular case, these are my guesses what's going on. First and most likely, if your income is above that 400% of the Federal poverty line, then your insurance company is right and you don't qualify for the premium tax credit. I believe there's some other requirement for the credit related to if your employer offers insurance that might also be what's leaving you ineligible (don't quote me though, might be mixing up the exemption from the penalty for having no insurance at all with the tax credit here). Either way, no money for your taxes, but at least no penalty for being uninsured either. Second, I know there was some issue with the 1095-A forms, so you might theoretically be getting one late. Unlikely based on what your company said, but possible. If you're really unsure, if you have a login on healthcare.gov (not sure if your company set one up for you when you applied) you can check and see what they have listed for you, which should say if you deserved a credit.

kaishek posted:

Willing to be proved wrong here, but insurance premiums paid outside of an employer-sponsored plan are not tax deductible except in limited circumstances (self employed with no employer-sponsored insurance available, or if you itemize and premiums+medical expenses exceed 10% of your total income). But in that last case, you'd only be able to deduct the amount over 10% of your income. A major reason that I have not ditched my crappy, expensive employer plan is that without a tax deduction "comparably priced" plans are actually more expensive.

Yeah, this is the only other way you can get any sort of tax reduction for insurance premiums. The other problem though is as mentioned the over 10% thing is only if you do an itemized deduction, which you should only do if it's higher than the standard deduction ($6200 for single person this year). So, not only does it have to be more than 10% of your total income you're paying in medical, it plus the other items you can itemize have to be more than $6200. So generally the only way you can get any deduction is if you itemize already (mortgage interest is usually the factor that makes it worth itemizing) or you have out of pocket medical expenses of the "I'm fighting Stage 4 cancer" level, in which case taxes are probably the least of your worries.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

My wife is a teacher and went to a 2 week course over the summer at a college to improve her job skills. She got some graduate credits from the course but she'll never use them. She got a 1098-T form for the course, which lists $5300 for tuition and fees expenses and $5400 for scholarships/grants. Since this course wasn't part of a degree-granting program the scholarship is taxable income. Unfortunately, because we file "married filing separately" due to my income-based repayment student loans, she isn't eligible for any of the education credits/deductions, so she's getting taxed on all $5400 of that.

Does anyone have any thoughts on reducing this? I was thinking of claiming the $5300 amount as a job related expense that would be deductible, but she didn't pay that out of pocket. Or, is it possible in 2016 to deduct the amount of tax paid on the $5400 (which in the 25% bracket is $1350) as a job related expense. That amount would actually be coming out of her pockets. Thanks.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Admiral101 posted:

I'm pretty sure the issue isn't the form itself, but the calculations/opportunities that become available with the form. I've yet to see an entity that holds real property that doesn't have a substantial 481(a) adjustment due to ghost assets, partial dispositions, life changes, or whatever.

Yeah, what I was referring to before was the fixed assets work, but this is literally my niche so to me it's simple.

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I could really use some advice with my taxes this year, any help would be appreciated. It's kind of a long story so I'm gonna try and condense it just for the sake of this post.
Last year I was literally just a bartender and a customer offered me a job in Telecommunications working for Comcast/Time Warner fixing power supplies with literally 0 work experience in the field.Like I didn't even know black vs red, + vs - on a battery. He said I could make 2k a week, and I decided to roll the dice and as you can tell already the situation was shady as gently caress.
They guy who was supposed to train me was a piece of poo poo, like had 10 dollars to his name so he'd buy a pack of smokes and I'd have to buy him lunch/dinner for a week till he quit as my learning experience. Obviously, he didn't wanna slow down to teach me so it was terrible. Eventually made good money, but my bosses checks kept bouncing naturally so the way I got paid for 6 months was he would deposit the money in my co workers chase account and the guy would go to the ATM for me. After, that, I got paid probably like 3-5k in Walmart quick cash transactions. Like the actual money he gave me in cash deposits is probably about 2kish.
I ran into my old co worker tonight which was terrible. Like I said I had 0 experience, so when these power supplies were supposed to kick in like 16 didn't work and we got back charged 4k working together and that's when I'm like gently caress this I quit (I never got a bill or anything, cause everything was thought my co workers chase account) . At a gas station I hit a pole with the truck so there's a few red streaks on the side of the truck, but I can play it off like some red car hit me but they guy I used to work with was there. I saw him drunk tonight and he called me a loving piece of poo poo/friend of the family/ect. and said I owed him 2k(haven't talked to him for 6 months), but he was drunk since its St. Paddys day and I guess my old boss is 1099ing me for 25k for what he paid me and the damage to the truck. He showed his hand.

Like I said my old boss is a piece of poo poo, he made me bill Comcast for poo poo we didn't fix constantly, so I can threaten him with e-mailing the company we worked for saying how he made me bill them for poo poo that wasn't broken and they will never hire him as a sub contractor again. Also, he has a car scam going right now where he rolls back odometers.

I'm planning on not declaring any of this 1099 cause I haven't gotten it in the mail, and I've asked him 3 times for it and he still hasn't sent me poo poo. If he wants to battle Ill tell about the way I was told to rip off Comcast and his odometer scam but I haven't brought it up yet. Supposedly I'm getting 1099'd for 25k which is loving bullshit, like this whole situation. Is it time to lawyer up or should I just not declare it??

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

Yomofo posted:

I could really use some advice with my taxes this year, any help would be appreciated. It's kind of a long story so I'm gonna try and condense it just for the sake of this post.
Last year I was literally just a bartender and a customer offered me a job in Telecommunications working for Comcast/Time Warner fixing power supplies with literally 0 work experience in the field.Like I didn't even know black vs red, + vs - on a battery. He said I could make 2k a week, and I decided to roll the dice and as you can tell already the situation was shady as gently caress.
They guy who was supposed to train me was a piece of poo poo, like had 10 dollars to his name so he'd buy a pack of smokes and I'd have to buy him lunch/dinner for a week till he quit as my learning experience. Obviously, he didn't wanna slow down to teach me so it was terrible. Eventually made good money, but my bosses checks kept bouncing naturally so the way I got paid for 6 months was he would deposit the money in my co workers chase account and the guy would go to the ATM for me. After, that, I got paid probably like 3-5k in Walmart quick cash transactions. Like the actual money he gave me in cash deposits is probably about 2kish.
I ran into my old co worker tonight which was terrible. Like I said I had 0 experience, so when these power supplies were supposed to kick in like 16 didn't work and we got back charged 4k working together and that's when I'm like gently caress this I quit (I never got a bill or anything, cause everything was thought my co workers chase account) . At a gas station I hit a pole with the truck so there's a few red streaks on the side of the truck, but I can play it off like some red car hit me but they guy I used to work with was there. I saw him drunk tonight and he called me a loving piece of poo poo/friend of the family/ect. and said I owed him 2k(haven't talked to him for 6 months), but he was drunk since its St. Paddys day and I guess my old boss is 1099ing me for 25k for what he paid me and the damage to the truck. He showed his hand.

Like I said my old boss is a piece of poo poo, he made me bill Comcast for poo poo we didn't fix constantly, so I can threaten him with e-mailing the company we worked for saying how he made me bill them for poo poo that wasn't broken and they will never hire him as a sub contractor again. Also, he has a car scam going right now where he rolls back odometers.

I'm planning on not declaring any of this 1099 cause I haven't gotten it in the mail, and I've asked him 3 times for it and he still hasn't sent me poo poo. If he wants to battle Ill tell about the way I was told to rip off Comcast and his odometer scam but I haven't brought it up yet. Supposedly I'm getting 1099'd for 25k which is loving bullshit, like this whole situation. Is it time to lawyer up or should I just not declare it??

The shadiness of your old boss isn't really relevant to whether you report the income. Where does the $25k figure come from? You said 3-5k of Walmart quick cash, 2k of cash deposits, and an unknown amount from your coworker withdrawing from a Chase account. How much came from the Chase account?

If you're getting a 1099 for 25k and you report nothing, you are going to be guaranteed getting notices.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, this is the only other way you can get any sort of tax reduction for insurance premiums. The other problem though is as mentioned the over 10% thing is only if you do an itemized deduction, which you should only do if it's higher than the standard deduction ($6200 for single person this year). So, not only does it have to be more than 10% of your total income you're paying in medical, it plus the other items you can itemize have to be more than $6200. So generally the only way you can get any deduction is if you itemize already (mortgage interest is usually the factor that makes it worth itemizing) or you have out of pocket medical expenses of the "I'm fighting Stage 4 cancer" level, in which case taxes are probably the least of your worries.

Umm... that would apply to me, then.

I'm already itemizing. My total income last year was $59,706, and total medical expenses (monthly premiums included) was $14,650. That's nearly 25% (and this doesn't even include my mortgage holy poo poo no wonder I'm so goddamned poor).

So that brings us back to my original issue. I've had no problem itemizing my medical bills in Turbo Tax, but I don't know where/how I can include the monthly premiums without a Form 1095-A.

Edit: And to clarify, I'm married filing jointly, but I'm still over the threshold of itemizing vs. taking the standard deduction.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 15, 2015

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747

Admiral101 posted:

The shadiness of your old boss isn't really relevant to whether you report the income. Where does the $25k figure come from? You said 3-5k of Walmart quick cash, 2k of cash deposits, and an unknown amount from your coworker withdrawing from a Chase account. How much came from the Chase account?

If you're getting a 1099 for 25k and you report nothing, you are going to be guaranteed getting notices.

I'm guessing I probably made like 15k working for him for 6 months, and he's charging me like 10k for damaging his truck. The chase account was all ATM cash withdraws $400 at a time, and my co worker buying gas/food/a hotel for a week and us doing a terrible job keeping track of what I was owed.

Edit: I've asked for this 1099 like 5 times and he hasn't sent me poo poo. I ran into my old co worker last night and he laughed in my face. He said he was right there when my boss was like "Yeah Ill send it right over" and then hung up the phone and laughed cause he's trying to gently caress me or something.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I live in Florida and bought a new car last year. A coworker also did the same and apparently his tax guy deducted the sales tax on "line 7 of state as local general sales tax deduction worksheet line 5b". I have no idea what the hell he's talking about, but if I can, I'd like to take advantage of it. My dad (an accountant, but no tax guru) already did my taxes, so I'd guess I'd have to do an amendment? Also, AFAIK, Florida has no state income tax.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Ballz posted:

Umm... that would apply to me, then.

I'm already itemizing. My total income last year was $59,706, and total medical expenses (monthly premiums included) was $14,650. That's nearly 25% (and this doesn't even include my mortgage holy poo poo no wonder I'm so goddamned poor).

So that brings us back to my original issue. I've had no problem itemizing my medical bills in Turbo Tax, but I don't know where/how I can include the monthly premiums without a Form 1095-A.

Edit: And to clarify, I'm married filing jointly, but I'm still over the threshold of itemizing vs. taking the standard deduction.
You don't need a 1095-A. I itemized and filed for similar % of medical to income w couple of years ago. Simply make a schedule of payments with support and keep that in your tax file for 7yrs. Then declare the amount.

Yomofo posted:

I'm guessing I probably made like 15k working for him for 6 months, and he's charging me like 10k for damaging his truck. The chase account was all ATM cash withdraws $400 at a time, and my co worker buying gas/food/a hotel for a week and us doing a terrible job keeping track of what I was owed.

Edit: I've asked for this 1099 like 5 times and he hasn't sent me poo poo. I ran into my old co worker last night and he laughed in my face. He said he was right there when my boss was like "Yeah Ill send it right over" and then hung up the phone and laughed cause he's trying to gently caress me or something.
Tricky. It sounds like you perhaps weren't a contractor, so you won't be the hosed one. Read here: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Independent-Contractor-Self-Employed-or-Employee

Do you have pay stubs or totals of cash received?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

SiGmA_X posted:

You don't need a 1095-A. I itemized and filed for similar % of medical to income w couple of years ago. Simply make a schedule of payments with support and keep that in your tax file for 7yrs. Then declare the amount.

So would I include the total amount I paid in monthly premiums in the same section I was putting in doctor visits, prescription meds, surgery fees, etc? Or would it go somewhere else? Based on what I've learned about the purpose of the 1095-A, I'm guessing it wouldn't go there.

And just to clarify things a bit, back to this earlier point:

kaishek posted:

Willing to be proved wrong here, but insurance premiums paid outside of an employer-sponsored plan are not tax deductible except in limited circumstances (self employed with no employer-sponsored insurance available, or if you itemize and premiums+medical expenses exceed 10% of your total income). But in that last case, you'd only be able to deduct the amount over 10% of your income.

My medical bills last year ran to a total of $7,937 (hooray pre-existing conditions + wife's gall bladder surgery), which that alone is over 10% of my total income. So with that in mind, I should be able to deduct ALL of my monthly premiums (another $6,713).

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

I live in Florida and bought a new car last year. A coworker also did the same and apparently his tax guy deducted the sales tax on "line 7 of state as local general sales tax deduction worksheet line 5b". I have no idea what the hell he's talking about, but if I can, I'd like to take advantage of it. My dad (an accountant, but no tax guru) already did my taxes, so I'd guess I'd have to do an amendment? Also, AFAIK, Florida has no state income tax.

Since you have no state income tax, you can deduct general sales tax from your federal taxes. In order to calculate general sales tax you have two options:

1. Save every receipt and add up actual tax spent
2. Use an IRS table that gives you a number based on your income, and add specific things like new car sales tax to that

The deduction is included along with things like mortgage interest and property tax. This will only affect your taxes if you itemize deductions (instead of taking the standard deduction), and you probably only itemize deductions if you own a house. If you didn't already itemize deductions, then adding the sales tax probably won't affect your taxes at all.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ballz posted:

So would I include the total amount I paid in monthly premiums in the same section I was putting in doctor visits, prescription meds, surgery fees, etc? Or would it go somewhere else? Based on what I've learned about the purpose of the 1095-A, I'm guessing it wouldn't go there.

And just to clarify things a bit, back to this earlier point:

My medical bills last year ran to a total of $7,937 (hooray pre-existing conditions + wife's gall bladder surgery), which that alone is over 10% of my total income. So with that in mind, I should be able to deduct ALL of my monthly premiums (another $6,713).

Pretty much, yeah. Out of pocket medical insurance premiums count as qualifying medical expenses, so whatever you paid for it counts on your itemized deduction for medical. I don't know how you enter that on TurboTax but it would probably be somewhere with your other medical expenses, not the 1095-A section (which is probably there for calculating premium tax credit). Proof-wise if you can show you paid those bills in case of an audit you should be fine, there's no specific form for medical insurance you have to have here. It's not like insurance premiums would be an UNUSUAL expense for the IRS to expect to see for someone who actually has the expenses high enough to claim after all. Remember to only add what you paid though, not what insurance paid of course.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MadDogMike posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Out of pocket medical insurance premiums count as qualifying medical expenses, so whatever you paid for it counts on your itemized deduction for medical. I don't know how you enter that on TurboTax but it would probably be somewhere with your other medical expenses, not the 1095-A section (which is probably there for calculating premium tax credit). Proof-wise if you can show you paid those bills in case of an audit you should be fine, there's no specific form for medical insurance you have to have here. It's not like insurance premiums would be an UNUSUAL expense for the IRS to expect to see for someone who actually has the expenses high enough to claim after all. Remember to only add what you paid though, not what insurance paid of course.

Thanks for clarifying. I have carbon copy checks for most months, and I printed out email receipts from the couple of months I paid online. I'll keep them in the folder with all my other 2014 tax docs.

In slightly related news, I am about to accept a new job whose employer-sponsored health insurance plan isn't total garbage. My premiums will be dropping over $300 a month! :woop:

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747

SiGmA_X posted:

Tricky. It sounds like you perhaps weren't a contractor, so you won't be the hosed one. Read here: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Independent-Contractor-Self-Employed-or-Employee

Do you have pay stubs or totals of cash received?

I think I have like 1 check for $1200 when we finished up work and I was back in Illinois. I think he gave me like 500 cash and the rest in maybe a personal check. It was a while ago, but I feel like he wrote it out in front of us.

Oh, I forgot about this fact. The way my boss deposited his checks into my account was he forged my signature on the back of the checks to get them deposited into my account. We live in Illinois and my bank is local, but we worked in Tennessee. Since we were staying in hotels and didn't have an address he had no real good way to pay me.

I ran into my old co worker at the bar tonight and he flipped the gently caress out about the money I owe him. I was trying to stay away from him so I grabbed a table in the corner with my two friends and after like 20 min, he came up to the table, swung at me, and then spit in my face when he couldn't get a hit in. They kicked him out and let me stay. I just got back from the police station and filed an assault charge, but because I was drinking too I guess I don't have much of a case. He's gonna get hit with a $200 fine or something minimal because it's all hearsay.

Edit: I really really wish I could get a copy of whatever the gently caress I signed when I 1st started working for him. I want to say it a was a few sheets of paper. I know for sure I was called an "Independent Contractor" so I'm assuming that's what my title is. It's just that the paper trail is soooo messed up I have no idea how they would prove I got all this money.

Also after the fight, the dude sent me a text saying "Hey you dumb oval office. That 1099 you called Dave about(our boss)? That's your responsibility. Look it up (How?). It's 25k, good luck, idiot."

Yomofo fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 18, 2015

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Got a quick question - this is unrelated to me, but for a friend. Her husband (separated, but not divorced) filed taxes and claimed her as a dependent without her permission, so now she can't file and collect her return. Does she have any recourse to fix that?

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Got a quick question - this is unrelated to me, but for a friend. Her husband (separated, but not divorced) filed taxes and claimed her as a dependent without her permission, so now she can't file and collect her return. Does she have any recourse to fix that?

File on paper by mail. The irs will process her return, maybe ask both of them to justify their position re her dependent status, and adjust his return.

If it wasn't the husband who claimed her as a dependent she should contact the irs identity protection unit (800-908-4490) to get an ip pin and she should check her credit reports for any fraudulent activity.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thanks - although she just told me her dad's accountant is now doing her taxes so he should know what to do.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Situation:

My wife's brother and his wife would like to give us between 90 and 150 thousand dollars as a gift. My understanding is if a gift from a foreign person is under 100k then a 3520 is not necessary. I also understand that if it is a domestic based gift then each spouse is treated separately. Is it the same for a foreign gift? I.e. can I receive 75k and my wife receive 75k without a 3520 filing?

Additionally these monies are currently in cash in us dollars. Is it possible to bring it into the country as cash without risk? We could carry it in and declare on customs forms but are worried about seizure. The banking system in the source country is hosed and would require a transfer into local/bad currency so we would like to avoid this.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I got a letter from the IRS today saying I owe them $2314 (+$70 interest) from my 2013 taxes. The good news is they actually made a mistake but I have a couple questions.

I won some free windows to the tune of $8500. I claimed the $8500 but in turbo tax it shows up as gambling winnings. I also adjusted the value down based on a quote I had from the same window company to actually buy and have the windows installed. So the IRS thinks I didn't pay my taxes but I did.

So I have to respond saying I don't agree with the assessment. I assume that as long as I label a copy of my tax returns explaining that the "gambling" is actually the windows and then provide the reasoning why I adjusted the value to a fair market value things will be good (or at the very least they will make some determination and respond back).

This is pretty annoying but I guess it is my fault since it doesn't exactly match up in the descriptions of the other income (although I would guess the $8500 matching would be a clue). Hopefully it isn't a big pain in the rear end but I am assuming it is going to suck.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Finished my taxes through Turbo Tax a few weeks ago and already received my refund. However, I received a small packet in the mail today concerning tax return information for one of the stocks that I own. Seems that its a Schedule K-1 (Form 1065). When I was doing my taxes on Turbo Tax, I logged into my investment account and it transferred all the information over. Should I be worried in the sense that I need to adjust something on my already completed tax forms?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I am doing 1040ES for the first year this year. I have vouchers from Turbotax for values, but I intent to pay electronically. When I pay electronically, will I also need to mail in the voucher or another form? Do I need to e-file anything specifically each quarter for the estimated payments? Or can I just log in to the e-payment systems, schedule payments, and do all the form stuff come next year?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Pretty sure if you e-pay (especially if you do it on IRS website) there's no need to fool with a voucher; I know at least paying electronically for a tax bill on a 1040 doesn't require you to mail in a voucher. Just print a copy off of the "payment received" screen for safety and you should be OK I'd think.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

This is my first year filing taxes, and I have federal income to report from two different companies. The website I'm using predicts your tax return after each form you fill out. After I filled out my W-2 for the first company, my refund was around $3k. After I filled out my second W2, my refund dropped down to $600. Did I do something wrong? I assumed the refund would increase the more income I'm reporting.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ron Don Volante posted:

This is my first year filing taxes, and I have federal income to report from two different companies. The website I'm using predicts your tax return after each form you fill out. After I filled out my W-2 for the first company, my refund was around $3k. After I filled out my second W2, my refund dropped down to $600. Did I do something wrong? I assumed the refund would increase the more income I'm reporting.

Could be a number of reasons. More income means more taxes, so you're not getting as much withholding back. Also check your withholding on job #2, might not have had as much. Also some credits are income-capped, like EITC, or you may now be responsible for the SRP now. The min-max budget types say to aim for small refund or small balance, since it is an interest free loan to the government, but people who like enforced saving or rely on the EITC are generally the ones with big refunds.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So is there any tax filing software that will let me add 1042S income to a resident return?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ron Don Volante posted:

This makes sense. From the tax software's perspective, the second W-2 is all taxed at a higher tax bracket. But it was withheld at lower tax brackets. So adding it in would decrease your refund.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Washington, DC has a weird filing status "Married Filing Separately on the Same Return" - because Married Filing Jointly does not change any of the tax brackets, so usually results in a huge penalty for married filers. MFS-SR lets you allocate your exemptions/deductions and, I think, income between the two filers to take advantage of the brackets for individuals.

It is not clear to me if, for example, my wife had a Traditional IRA deduction, but I had all the income for the family, if I can simple divide everything between my wife and I, including income. If I had income of 60k, for example, I would allocate it so that we each had 30k of the income, and each had one of the two child deductions, and split all the other deductions 50-50. That should make our taxes the lowest possible. Is that correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
I feel like an idiot for asking this question but here goes.

Single male in PA still living at home. I have never filed a state tax return before mostly because it cost money to do on the e-file sites. I guess the main question I'm asking is if I'm throwing money away here not getting a return or if I'm even eligible for a return? Is there any way to find this out or is there a separate form I need to get to actually see what my state tax was like?

God I feel like a loving moron asking this question but I don't wanna shove 10-15 bucks down to efile a state tax return and get nothing.