Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

semper wifi posted:

Is a screwdriver somewhere below a knife on the "danger" scale? Sure. Is it still capable of killing someone? Sure. Do the police have a duty to let the guy stab them with a screwdriver while they try to beat him to the ground with batons/fumble with OC spray/try to tase him? Nope.

See this is the incorrect understanding of the use of impact weapons that too many poorly trained police have. When you are subduing a person with an edged weapon or something similar you hopefully don't try to "beat them to the ground," you strike the limb holding the weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

See this is the incorrect understanding of the use of impact weapons that too many poorly trained police have. When you are subduing a person with an edged weapon or something similar you hopefully don't try to "beat them to the ground," you strike the limb holding the weapon.

But wow, wasn't that a telling description, eh?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Let me beat this person holding a shiny thing to the ground, where my precious Achilles tendons live.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
No no no guys don't you see? We're basically requiring police to get stabbed to death if we insist they treat potentially dangerous encounters as something other than "IF even vaguely threatening THEN ventilate" scenarios.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah, he said the complete loss of body control was more disconcerting, but way less painful.

My argument is that "holy poo poo pepperspray" is not me having an overly harsh reaction, it's more than enough to take out anyone less beefy than Halfthor, and the whole "insane guy on angel-dust hulking up" is more of a bullshit anecdote. I don't buy it.
It isn't really a beefy thing from my admittedly limited experience. Some people seem to just naturally have a fairly limited response to capsaicin. Some people also fall down and throw up a lot. For most people it seems to fall somewhere in the "very painful" range.

The whole "insane guy on angel-dust hulking up" is always bullshit. Sort of like how the dead guy is always 6" taller and 100lbs heavier according to the cop.

VikingofRock posted:

We should ban everyday cops from carrying guns, and bring in specially trained officers whenever more force is necessary (active shooter scenarios, etc).
I agree, especially for urban agencies. Rural cops should probably keep a rifle in the trunk though.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 19, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It isn't really a beefy thing from my admittedly limited experience. Some people seem to just naturally have a fairly limited response to capsaicin. Some people also fall down and throw up a lot. For most people it seems to fall somewhere in the "very painful" range.

The whole "insane guy on angel-dust hulking up" is always bullshit. Sort of like how the dead guy is always 6" taller and 100lbs heavier according to the cop.

Killing people because they maybe aren't completely incapacitated by OC is not a good solution.

Like I said, it seems like cops explaining how they use OC spray to torture folks, which seems to be the case.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

In no way do any of the chemicals in pepper spray render you incapable of "deliberate action." That's my point. It hurts like poo poo, but if you don't care because you're nuts, or wasted, or just hard as nails well then it doesn't do much good. It's effectiveness is mostly in people not wanting to feel like their face is on fire and generally reacting to that feeling with panic.

I don't think having it explained to you in a classroom for a half hour before you get sprayed makes much of a difference, but if you're willing to offer some kind of proof that it does I'm willing to concede the point.

Its not really the point, it doesn't take much deliberate action to be to frantically grab at and stab wildly at the closest thing to you.

Also this conversation is dumb , we don't have enough information (yet, probably never) from the video to know whether the man became a legitimate threat. What we do know is that these cops approached a MH call just like they would any other rational actor and because they did so this guy is dead. The lack of training on dealing with the mentally ill, and the fact we task cops with dealing with them as much as we do is a major loving problem. If he did become a threat its because their mishandling of the situation escalated it.

g0del posted:

I think that's what really got to me - they immediately start justifying the shoot. They sounded like my kids when I've just caught them doing something they know is wrong. "He made me hurt him" isn't a valid excuse at my house, but evidently is justification for shooting someone if you're a cop.

I'm guessing you've never dealt with people who just killed someone, this is common reaction and its usually the person is convincing/reassuring themselves.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 19, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Rural cops should probably keep a rifle in the trunk though.

Rural policing has no bearing on this discussion.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Killing people because they maybe aren't completely incapacitated by OC is not a good solution.
Agreed. Police in the US need a lot more training in deescalation. This certainly looks like a situation where no one was in danger until the officers created a dangerous situation.

SedanChair posted:

Rural policing has no bearing on this discussion.
Sorry SedanChair I must have missed it when someone made you a mod.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Sorry SedanChair I must have missed it when someone made you a mod.

I mean what scenario are you talking about anyway? Grizzly defense, or getting pinned down by bootleggers when backup is 50 miles away?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What bothers me most about these murderous, trigger-happy cops is that they're not loving doing their jobs. They are paid to put their life on the line, which they are unwilling to do. They're not getting paid to murder mentally ill people, they're getting paid (and big fat loving pensions and benefits) to risk their loving lives for us.

Those cops should absolutely have tried to talk that guy down or disarm him physically. They chose the cowards way out, the unprofessional, short-sighted, bully's solution. They're loving cowards more afraid of a black man than upholding their duty. Being a police officer is not something you are forced or conscripted to do. You volunteer to take that job, and part of that is volunteering to risk personal injury or death in order make society safe.

Cops these days do not risk their lives. They shoot first because they're racist cowards. If they're too afraid of getting hurt to disable a mentally ill man in a non-lethal manner then they shouldn't be loving cops to begin with.

I'd rather see cops get stabbed by screwdrivers every day than murder innocent people, and you should too. It's our loving tax dollars going to pay these psychopaths.

How are u fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 19, 2015

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

So today a white supremacist went on a shooting spree in Arizona, but the police were actually able to arrest him by tasering instead of shooting. Obviously it's not the same exact cops involved, so you can't make a direct comparison of the situations, but it still makes a pretty sharp contrast with the guy who was shot for having a screwdriver and not dropping it fast enough, or the one last week who was shot for being naked in public. Clearly it is possible to use non-violent means to subdue even extremely violent people if the police are actually willing to try.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Florida Betty posted:

So today a white supremacist went on a shooting spree in Arizona, but the police were actually able to arrest him by tasering instead of shooting. Obviously it's not the same exact cops involved, so you can't make a direct comparison of the situations, but it still makes a pretty sharp contrast with the guy who was shot for having a screwdriver and not dropping it fast enough, or the one last week who was shot for being naked in public. Clearly it is possible to use non-violent means to subdue even extremely violent people if the police are actually willing to try.

Pretty much. And yes, obviously they are not willing to try when the subject is black. Black lives are worth less than poo poo in this country.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Florida Betty posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:suicide:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Christ and cops get so much hero worship about how tough and dangerous their jobs are. Yeah, I'm sure it's pretty dang tough and you do indeed get into dicey situations.

But that doesn't mean you get to be both a lauded hero of public safety at the same time you turn to your loving gun every time you feel remotely threatened. You can either be a heroic public servant who actually puts his life on the line or you can waste someone every time you feel scared. But in America today the cops can do no wrong as far as the public at large is concerned. Same for the Troops.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Florida Betty posted:

It is also not the same as there was no indication that he was armed at the time of capture. The shooting was at 8;30AM, the capture was 1PM. That's a long time to become unarmed.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

nm posted:

It is also not the same as there was no indication that he was armed at the time of capture. The shooting was at 8;30AM, the capture was 1PM. That's a long time to become unarmed.

I think it's fair to assume that a spree shooter is probably very armed

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blunt for century posted:

I think it's fair to assume that a spree shooter is probably very armed

If they tased him, it is quite unlikely. If you have a gun, cops don't care if you're white or black, they're gonna make you dead. Only without guns does it really come into play.
Also, he was apparently in his own apartment at the time, maybe he put it down to take a poo poo, I don't know.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

nm posted:

If they tased him, it is quite unlikely. If you have a gun, cops don't care if you're white or black, they're gonna make you dead. Only without guns does it really come into play.
Also, he was apparently in his own apartment at the time, maybe he put it down to take a poo poo, I don't know.

I wonder how many screwdrivers were within reach :v:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

blunt for century posted:

I wonder how many screwdrivers were within reach :v:
Going by his tattoos there was at least one Skrewdriver album in the apartment.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 19, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nm posted:

If you don't have a gun, you might also get dead.

The race aspect is relevant though.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

nm posted:

If you have a gun, cops don't care if you're white or black, they're gonna make you dead.

Is there like a "greatest hits" compilation of all of those videos over just the past couple years of belligerent gun-brandishing white dudes being patiently talked down by the police that I can link to here? I mean just the other week there was that story of the two white guys actually shooting up a store with BB guns or buckshot, who somehow got taken into custody peacefully.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Cichlid the Loach posted:

I mean just the other week there was that story of the two white guys actually shooting up a store with BB guns or buckshot, who somehow got taken into custody peacefully.
You mean pellets? Buckshot is for-realsies bullets.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

gently caress the . . . . fire department?

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/02/...26pLid%3D612944

Shame on the two firefighters, shame on the DA who filed these charges despite the physical evidence showing it not being arson, and shame on the DA again for not charging them. It should come as no shock they're both still employed bye the fire department.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

semper wifi posted:

It was a totally justified shooting. The cops in this case really didn't do anything wrong. They shot a guy charging them with a weapon. Like I said before it probably could have been done better by someone, somewhere - if they backed off sooner, came to the door ready to tase him or talked to his mom more before they met the guy, but once it reached the point it did it's silly to expect the cops to do much thinking beyond oh poo poo->shoot.
If i had the excuses cops do, I'd kill like three people every loving day. Yes, a screwdriver can be deadly. Yes, Mike Brown was not a perfect angel (neither are you, nether am I, neither are cops). The root of the problem is that cops escalate EVERY single situation they're in if they aren't getting "compliance." At least until it's white supremacists who don't want to pay taxes.

There is NO public good that is being served by having people who have the mentality of loving gang members roaming the streets, pretending they're keeping the peace while demanding absolute obedience backed by the penalty of death without redress.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lyesh posted:

There is NO public good that is being served by having people who have the mentality of loving gang members roaming the streets, pretending they're keeping the peace while demanding absolute obedience backed by the penalty of death without redress.

I believe that the systematic profiling, incarceration and murder of black males is absolutely seen as a public good by a majority of Americans. Most would never admit to it of course, or possibly even be able to articulate it in their conscious minds. But you can see it in their reaction when you casually suggest that hey, maybe no cops would be better than systematically racist cops.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

But you can see it in their reaction when you casually suggest that hey, maybe no cops would be better than systematically racist cops.
Yeah, but that is a super dumb thing to suggest.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yeah, but that is a super dumb thing to suggest.

Yes, that's what they say because their own racism has terrified them to the point where they are unable to consider alternatives. They just say "that's dumb" and everybody understands what's really being discussed, and who would really go uncontained.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Yes, that's what they say because their own racism has terrified them to the point where they are unable to consider alternatives. They just say "that's dumb" and everybody understands what's really being discussed, and who would really go uncontained.
Let's look at all the civil rights success stories like Somalia and Syria where they have abandoned the tyranny of laws and now live in a Libertarian utopia.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Would you really say that the absence of a civilian police force is the most salient characteristic of those failed states?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Would you really say that the absence of a civilian police force is the most salient characteristic of those failed states?
Are you advocating for the replacement of civil police with military police?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Are you advocating for the replacement of civil police with military police?

No, would you like to answer my question now?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

No, would you like to answer my question now?
Ok.

SedanChair posted:

No I wouldn't, I was simply responding flippantly. I thought the part where I accused you of being a Libertarian made that clear enough, but guess not.

Would you really like to have a serious discussion over whether bad law enforcement is worse than no law enforcement? Because that is a very silly discussion.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I guess the question is "worse for who?" Because there are populations who derive precisely zero benefit from policing, while experiencing significant harm. Other populations would certainly experience harm from an absence of all policing, but I am tired of people taking it for granted that the balance of harm and benefit to those populations should remain fundamentally unchanged because of an inchoate terror of return to the state of nature (which is nothing more than code for black men running free in the streets with machetes).

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

I guess the question is "worse for who?" Because there are populations who derive precisely zero benefit from policing, while experiencing significant harm.
I'd argue that the police are less dangerous to even the most marginalized populations than what history tells us happens to minorities when nobody bothers to enforce the laws against murdering minorities. I do not have so much faith in humanity that I can believe a total lack of law enforcement would result in anything but a massive increase in violence across all segments of the population.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
See, now you want to make me go back on what I said earlier because that sounds like a job for the National Guard. If the only thing keeping you defending the existence of police is protection of minority groups, that's curious to me because they are not particularly qualified for that job. The military, on the other hand, is actually pretty good at that job when they are assigned to it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Look at the most recent example of No Police Time in America. During the aftermath of Hurrican Katrina the NOPD went from being an extremely lovely law enforcement agency to making no attempt to enforce the law at all. This resulted in cops murdering black people, white vigilante gangs murdering black people, and the military having to show up to unfuck the situation. Eventually once the NOPD and Home Owners Associations were pacified by the National Guard some token prosecutions were made, and the NOPD went back to just being lovely instead of nonexistent. White American then placed the blame for all those dead black people squarely on the black community for not using the Magical Negro Hive Mind to somehow rectify a total collapse of civic order.

SedanChair posted:

See, now you want to make me go back on what I said earlier because that sounds like a job for the National Guard. If the only thing keeping you defending the existence of police is protection of minority groups, that's curious to me because they are not particularly qualified for that job. The military, on the other hand, is actually pretty good at that job when they are assigned to it.
I don't think the solution to police shooting too many people is to replace them with the Army. Worst case scenario at least the NYPD can't call for fire support.

Edit: Although I'm sure Bill Bratton is working on fixing that little oversight.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 19, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I would be more comfortable with the military than with police because the military has actually taken steps to actively confront institutional racism. They also tend to see Americans as people they are supposed to protect, not antagonize; furthermore, they actually have some experience with legitimate life-threatening situations, and so might be less likely to gun people down for holding a screwdriver. Now if the person holding the screwdriver was in Iraq, that might not turn out so well; but again, they have the advantage of not seeing Americans, even black Americans, as the enemy, whereas police very much do see them as the enemy.

As to Katrina, I think that is a similar situation to the LA riots. Pointing to a time where the police decided to stop enforcing the law, and the chaos that ensued, is not a convincing defense for the continued existence of policing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

As to Katrina, I think that is a similar situation to the LA riots. Pointing to a time where the police decided to stop enforcing the law, and the chaos that ensued, is not a convincing defense for the continued existence of policing.
I'm confused as to whether you're arguing against the general principle of law enforcement or the current structure of American law enforcement.

Constitutional issues aside I think there's something to be said for having a hard separation between civil law enforcement personnel and military personnel. As someone with some experience with military law enforcement I think you give them far too much credit. They are exactly the same bored, power-tripping dicks that regular cops are. Just in a different uniform and paid even less.

The military legal system is also in many ways hilariously awful and should not in any way ever be applied to civilians.

Edit: This is dangerously close to becoming a dialogue.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

How are u posted:

What bothers me most about these murderous, trigger-happy cops is that they're not loving doing their jobs. They are paid to put their life on the line, which they are unwilling to do. They're not getting paid to murder mentally ill people, they're getting paid (and big fat loving pensions and benefits) to risk their loving lives for us.

Those cops should absolutely have tried to talk that guy down or disarm him physically. They chose the cowards way out, the unprofessional, short-sighted, bully's solution. They're loving cowards more afraid of a black man than upholding their duty. Being a police officer is not something you are forced or conscripted to do. You volunteer to take that job, and part of that is volunteering to risk personal injury or death in order make society safe.

Cops these days do not risk their lives. They shoot first because they're racist cowards. If they're too afraid of getting hurt to disable a mentally ill man in a non-lethal manner then they shouldn't be loving cops to begin with.

I'd rather see cops get stabbed by screwdrivers every day than murder innocent people, and you should too. It's our loving tax dollars going to pay these psychopaths.

Besides basically The Secret Service, no job will nor should require you to put your life on the line in the United States. If going to the beat would be "putting your life on the line", it wouldn't be done.

Policing in America is a safe profession, and by asking them to "put their life on the line" is just feeding into the retarded hero worship.

The whole issue here is that the cops weren't in any great danger, yet killed that man.

No one is gonna mind public workers defending themselves reasonably from reasonable threats. It's just that often there are no reasonable threats nor reasonable measures.

• Locked thread