Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I saw this Onion video and thought of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CqpEacxdS0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I beat Chapter 11! Unfortunately I didn't get any legitimitely amazing units this time - Angus ended up lacking in a lot of places despite his high strength - but Victoria and Willow were hella fast and managed to put in a good show because of it.

Rowan kind of underwhelmed me the entire time. None of his level up screens looked all that interesting. It wasn't until chapter 11 that I realized he was somehow kind of good? He was just fast enough to double every enemy on the map except the boss and just strong enough to 2hko all of them and he was just durable enough to take a few hits (even from axes) and keep trucking. Except for Ferris*, all of my other units had problems in at least one of those areas. He ended up hitting right on his averages too, so good job I guess? I think I'm too used to lopsided characters because having someone that... efficient? felt kind of odd.

*Ferris didn't have a problem doubling anyone because for one glorious moment he had 37 SPD and 33 Res. Sadly, both stats had dropped to 20 by the next turn.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I beat Chapter 11! Unfortunately I didn't get any legitimitely amazing units this time - Angus ended up lacking in a lot of places despite his high strength - but Victoria and Willow were hella fast and managed to put in a good show because of it.

Rowan kind of underwhelmed me the entire time. None of his level up screens looked all that interesting. It wasn't until chapter 11 that I realized he was somehow kind of good? He was just fast enough to double every enemy on the map except the boss and just strong enough to 2hko all of them and he was just durable enough to take a few hits (even from axes) and keep trucking. Except for Ferris*, all of my other units had problems in at least one of those areas. He ended up hitting right on his averages too, so good job I guess? I think I'm too used to lopsided characters because having someone that... efficient? felt kind of odd.

*Ferris didn't have a problem doubling anyone because for one glorious moment he had 37 SPD and 33 Res. Sadly, both stats had dropped to 20 by the next turn.

Fun fact, there's a running joke with the team that Rowan is a disappointment. This is because for a while he was flat out poo poo. Even when he got buffs he never seemed to hit his growths. So then we overcompensated, and he was brokenly good. Pretty sure he's in a fine place now, considering he'll get crit on promotion :v:.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nihilarian posted:

Alright you can't say this and not tell me what happened.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FPzero posted:

Alright you can't say this and not tell me what happened.
I loaded up a save state to check and on my actual playthrough of 11 he's perfectly fine, sitting at 6 speed and 1 resistance. It turns out that the problem occured after I beat chapter 11, saved, got sent back to chapter 10, suspended the game and loaded up a chapter 11 save again to check Rowan's stats and compare them to his average. So something happened somewhere in there that dropped his speed and resistance to negative, as near as I can tell.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 18, 2015

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Yeah, I just checked and had a similar thing. Ferris had 37 Speed and Rowan had 32 Defense.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I can only assume it has something to do with being sent back to a previous chapter but we'll investigate. Thanks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sounds like the same bug that afflicted our good friend Zack

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Endorph posted:

sounds like the same bug that afflicted our good friend Zack

I'm surprised that lovely mod even managed to run at all given what was happening in every chapter :pwn:

if anyone doesn't know about it, it's a terrible mod of FE7 Lyn mode called Different Dimensions: Ostian Princess made by one person, if you want to see it it's in the lp archive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually it's called ostian princess: different dimensions

i think

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nah, it was Different Dimensions: Ostian Princess. I've taken to remembering it by its acronym, FEDDOP.

Please go read that LP if you haven't yet.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I like to think of FEDDOP as inspiring. Mostly in that when starting Awful Emblem, we knew we wouldn't reach that level of terribly amazing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS: OSTIAN PRINCESS is a masterpiece of Outsider Art

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I dunno i kinda got feddop with it

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Wild Knight posted:

I dunno i kinda got feddop with it

Yep

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

FPzero posted:

I like to think of FEDDOP as inspiring. Mostly in that when starting Awful Emblem, we knew we wouldn't reach that level of terribly amazing.
It is a sad, sad thing to consider that no matter how interesting or well-written or amazing the AE characters are, none of them will match up to the greatness of Marf Santangelo.

Now pick your killer axe...and kill!!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Was FEDDOP the hack that featured BersCorsairers or was that another one?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ChaosArgate posted:

Was FEDDOP the hack that featured BersCorsairers or was that another one?

Same one. It also had Two Enemoks which I would love an explanation how something that hosed up even happens.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

theshim posted:

It is a sad, sad thing to consider that no matter how interesting or well-written or amazing the AE characters are, none of them will match up to the greatness of Marf Santangelo.

NOPE!!!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, here's what we're actually doing for Archers in my hack, I think this helps them enough to be on the level, if a bit strong.

1. They have exclusive 2-3 range with all bows
2. they have exclusive access to the 2-5 Longbow series
3. Each Archer comes with a 1-1 Unbreakable Unsellable 'bow' named 'Knife' that is only 2 mt.
4. Each Archer has the skill 'Anticipation' which allows them to swap to the range they're being targeted at, in short, an archer attacked in melee will swap to their knife, at range, their bow.
5. Their are buyable 'Bows' that can break that are upgrades for the Knife.
6. Snipers gain the Critical skill that Halberdiers, Swordmasters and Berserkers get.

There, that should be perfect for Archers. They are now viable units.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That sounds like a chore to fight against, to be honest. Are those buffs for player characters only?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Momomo posted:

That sounds like a chore to fight against, to be honest. Are those buffs for player characters only?

Not really, it's certainly made enemy archers less of a joke, but I've been fighting against... most of these changes in test runs and it's not that diffuclt... Except for the castle maps, Murder Holes are loving brutal with the Archers. Especially with a Sniper in there.

Anticipation might be. And I don't intend to use it on bosses or anything, But Archers are going to be dangerous.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think that is probably going way overboard, a unit with 1-5 range and 15% inherent crit that automatically adjusts to threats on the fly with no player input might actually bring them from worst units in the game to far and away the best. Maybe I'm wrong though, and I do find the changes really interesting.

edit: only Snipers get the crit buff, right?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think that is probably going way overboard, a unit with 1-5 range and 15% inherent crit that automatically adjusts to threats on the fly with no player input might actually bring them from worst units in the game to far and away the best. Maybe I'm wrong though, and I do find the changes really interesting.

edit: only Snipers get the crit buff, right?

Yes only snipers. Exactly like Swordmasters and Berserkers and Halberdiers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I just wanted to be certain I wasn't just reading into the implication.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Other than the 2-5 longbows this is exactly what I was hoping for so uh thanks I guess. That range does seem a little nuts but I'd have to see how it functions in practice before making a statement before or after it.

Knives being complete garbage is the key; archers aren't supposed to hold chokepoints and put up a valiant stand as a defender, they're supposed to get one solid attack on player phase and then not be completely worthless on enemy phase. As long as they aren't taking on whole squads of soldiers themselves the way that melee-focused units are, I think it should be fine.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Well Dorothy and Wolt will still be poo poo without significant base increases but Igrene will be pretty good. Really it's just going to make enemy archers super annoying, especially if they have longbows.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Well Dorothy and Wolt will still be poo poo without significant base increases but Igrene will be pretty good. Really it's just going to make enemy archers super annoying, especially if they have longbows.

Well Dorothy will be a Soldier so I don't think she has anything to worry about, neither does Wolt given the stuff I've done for him (Full 10 stat points below every other starting party member is such bullshit)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Onmi posted:

So, here's what we're actually doing for Archers in my hack, I think this helps them enough to be on the level, if a bit strong.

1. They have exclusive 2-3 range with all bows
2. they have exclusive access to the 2-5 Longbow series
3. Each Archer comes with a 1-1 Unbreakable Unsellable 'bow' named 'Knife' that is only 2 mt.
4. Each Archer has the skill 'Anticipation' which allows them to swap to the range they're being targeted at, in short, an archer attacked in melee will swap to their knife, at range, their bow.
5. Their are buyable 'Bows' that can break that are upgrades for the Knife.
6. Snipers gain the Critical skill that Halberdiers, Swordmasters and Berserkers get.

There, that should be perfect for Archers. They are now viable units.
Seems overboard, honestly. I'd drop Knife and Anticipation, and give Short Bows a 1-2 range (with upgrades at certain levels), directly comparable to the handaxe/javelin families.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Seems overboard, honestly. I'd drop Knife and Anticipation, and give Short Bows a 1-2 range (with upgrades at certain levels), directly comparable to the handaxe/javelin families.

That doesn't help archers though, it helps nomads. These boosts are specifically to give the Archer something over the Nomad. Because the nomad has movement, and on promotion Swords, an actual real weapon. So they're going to be 8 movement archers. As well, the Warrior is going to be 6 move archers. With a LOT more strength behind their blows. The Archer, in comparison, has.... 1 extra shot range, considering that Wolt is your only archer until Chapter 11 (where you get Klein)

Lets compare Wolt and Sue, Wolt has 5 movement and +2 Range so his effective range is 7-8. 5 movement 2-3 range.. Sue has 7 movement and a 2-2 bow, for an effective range of 9. Sue will always be able to strike further and she has Canto so she can move after shooting. Wolt is a battery.

The Mt of an Iron Bow is 6, the Mt of the Knife is 2. Meaning that's a 4 damage deficit. Or using base Wolt from my hack.

8 Str + 6 Mt is 14 Damage from an Iron Bow, 8+2 is 10 damage from a Knife with no WTA or WTD.

The average defense of units from the screenshots I have last is about 5-7 on chapter 2. So Wolt will only do 3 damage on the counter, and will do 7 on the attack.

The short of it is, I'm not afraid of Wolt killing anything or breaking the game over his knee because suddenly he can counter, in fact, I took the Javelin Idea and I refersed it, rather than a weapon that is an upgrade in range from 1 to 1-2, it's a weapon that downgrades in range from 2-3 to 1. And in comparison to the Javelin which has a Mt of 6 (Read: the same as the Iron Bow with none of the counter issues) It's really not a big problem.

If the Knife was like an Iron Bow, with decent damage, sure, but it's like when a Priest attacks back with the staff in Radiant Dawn, yeah it happens but it's not dangerous.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

other units have skills in your hack right?

i don't think they'll end up overpowered, but right now they seem mechanically bloated, like fe is mostly straightforward and then archers in your hack are the intersection of a lot of different and fringe mechanics.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You could make shortbows 1-2 range and Archer specific, which would be in a similar vein to what you did with longbows. I do kind of think that the ability to switch from your 1 range weapon to the regular bows is a bigger deal than you imply.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Manatee Cannon posted:

You could make shortbows 1-2 range and Archer specific, which would be in a similar vein to what you did with longbows. I do kind of think that the ability to switch from your 1 range weapon to the regular bows is a bigger deal than you imply.

I don't think it's quite as big a deal when your 1-range weapon is terrible, though. This isn't a situation where archers are going to become unstoppable counterkillers; at most they're likely to be softening up a charging enemy for someone else to mop up.

Of course we could also wait until we've gotten a chance to test the mechanics ourselves before making any judgments.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

But Snipers get 15% inherent crit and he said you can get better, breakable versions of the 1 range weapon. Even iron bows are good enough on a regular hit in the late game so if you get anything remotely decent you will become untouchable and nothing will be able to challenge you at any range because you can hit (and subsequently crit) at any of them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

It really isn't, I've run the numbers. It's no more effective than Priests countering with their staffs when you attack them in Radiant Dawn. If a little bit more because there's actual strength behind the strikes. Actually the logical basis of this is more the Laguz when not transformed. There's never a point where "Attack with the Knife" is a good idea unless you're trying to deliberatly weaken someone (and 'use a weaker bow' is probably the better idea.) so consistently using archers as they were, as bowmen, and the fact is, if their defense isn't enough to sustain frontline battles, they'll still fulfil the same position in the formations as they did before. All the change has done, has made it so when you have to pull the archer back to shore up defenses, he can now attack with his 2 mt knife if a cavalier charges up Axe him a question.

CeallaSo posted:

I don't think it's quite as big a deal when your 1-range weapon is terrible, though. This isn't a situation where archers are going to become unstoppable counterkillers; at most they're likely to be softening up a charging enemy for someone else to mop up.

Of course we could also wait until we've gotten a chance to test the mechanics ourselves before making any judgments.

Not even that really, they'll do counter damage maybe? if they're particularly strength blessed. But their focus is and always will be bows. In comparison to mages, who no one complains about having access to 3-10 range weaponry forever. Especially when they target resistence, which is on the whole less likely to exist than strength.

Besides, Every Sword/Axe and Lance user has multiple tiers of ranged weapon getting progressively stronger, but an archer gets a 2 mt Knife to counter with? oh no? Yeah the Tomahawk wielding Berserker is perfectly fine, (We're not mentioning the 'Superior to an Iron Bow' Hand Axe for the sake of hyperbole) but goodness forbid the archer gets a counter attack.

Manatee Cannon posted:

But Snipers get 15% inherent crit and he said you can get better, breakable versions of the 1 range weapon. Even iron bows are good enough on a regular hit in the late game so if you get anything remotely decent you will become untouchable and nothing will be able to challenge you at any range because you can hit (and subsequently crit) at any of them.

You have clearly not seen a game as statted by me. Ha. And yeah you might get like 5 use 6 Mt Knives. Which can only be purchased in a Secret Store.

I'm sure the games just broken all over your knee. I have run the numbers Manatee. You shouldn't be able to solo with anyone. Let alone archers.... of which you only have 3.

EDIT: Also enemies actually have a luck stat in FE6, so crits aren't nearly as prevelent as say... FE7 without good support abuse and the like.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 21, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Obviously I haven't seen how this stuff works in practice, I'm just bringing up any possible problems that I see. I feel that kind of thing is important to do.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Onmi posted:

That doesn't help archers though, it helps nomads. These boosts are specifically to give the Archer something over the Nomad. Because the nomad has movement, and on promotion Swords, an actual real weapon. So they're going to be 8 movement archers. As well, the Warrior is going to be 6 move archers. With a LOT more strength behind their blows. The Archer, in comparison, has.... 1 extra shot range, considering that Wolt is your only archer until Chapter 11 (where you get Klein)
Archer/Sniper's in your hack have almost exclusive access to the 3-5 range and a +15% crit. That's more than enough to make them playable.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
If it takes every single buff in the game to make Archers useful, I'd say go for it. It's much easier to go all in on a good idea and tone it down later than it is to keep iterating on something that might be a failure. I approve of our new Super Archers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Are archers able to hang around outside a stationary boss's range and shoot them to death from a safe distance?