Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Whether or not he has some unassailable ulterior motive or not is mostly beside the point. Even if what he's doing is for her sake and in her best interest, the damage that he's doing is severe and the damages last a lifetime. I say this as someone who continues to deal with father/mother issues long past when I expected to be done with them. All the work he does to her benefit is almost moot if he loses her completely in the end. And I don't particularly subscribe to the idea that he's doing it to save her from the curse of childbirth, so if that's the case than I guess the intent could be seen as honorable but the way he's doing it makes it almost worthless.

And I cannot believe I'm once again serious posting about a comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

IUG posted:

Hey look here's something else to talk about! Tom posted on Twitter that the soft cover Volume 1 for the comic is out!

http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=GK-VOL01-SOFT&Category_Code=GK

I might have to buy it along with the Annie in the Woods two issues.

I'm still waiting for the day when I can buy just the seraph/boxbot coin without having to back a kickstarter that frankly I have no interest in backing.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
What chapter is this Annie in a coma stuff? I've read GC through twice but I've got a memory for fiction like swissed cheese and I can't be arsed to re-read the series again to find it. Thanks.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Divine.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Anthony, as far as we've seen, is a very selfish character. Not necessarily malevolently so; he's opened up to very few people, and those that he hasn't opened up to he's unable to treat with any visible empathy. He probably has major emotional issues of his own - he couldn't even turn down the romantic advances of a close friend with any emotion.
What we end up with is a man who is simply unable to treat anyone with respect, even if he wants to.
Perhaps the most painful of all for those close to him is that he does care. He wants to reach out to people important to him. He didn't have to use Jones' phone to talk to Annie to get a message to Donald all for the sake of a scalpel. But because he's so incapable of showing that he cares it just looks like an attack, as we saw in the class here.
I'm sure we'll see more of what really makes Anthony tick, and why he does what he does. As awful as it must be to have to deal with him, I don't think there's cruelty in what he does.

Contrast to the most cruel character we've seen in the comic - Diego. He condemned an innocent woman to an eternity of ghostly servitude, out of spite for the fact that she loved someone else. Tony seems outright warm in comparison.

On a different note, I guess we must be closing in on the half-way point for the comic. Presuming the comic ends after Annie's life in sixth form, this would be her fourth of seven years. Seems an appropriate time to introduce her father as a character, since he's the last question mark in the general setting that we know virtually nothing about.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

On a different note, I guess we must be closing in on the half-way point for the comic. Presuming the comic ends after Annie's life in sixth form, this would be her fourth of seven years. Seems an appropriate time to introduce her father as a character, since he's the last question mark in the general setting that we know virtually nothing about.

Until Tom brings it back in the ill-considered spin-off Gunnerkrigg: The College Years!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tenebrais posted:

I dunno, I mean, in a traditional narrative we haven't even started the plot yet. Things are still at equilibrium. We need the disharmony event (I'd imagine freeing Jeane), the conflict and resolution that results from that, and the new normal. He's either following a non traditional plot path, or this is going to run well into their adulthood. I suppose if the robot cult is the plot then we would be in the rising tension stage, but that would make it more like Kat is the hero and Annie the sidekick.

I'd guess though that since, like you said, we are resolving the last question in the general setting, we are about to have the disharmony event. The prime characters are established, the secondary characters are established, the world, and here the last bit of history. So next would be that being knocked askew. So either it will run long into adult years, or there will be a lot of chapters crammed into the years to come.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
No, see, Anthony only made Antimony leave the room so everyone else can get the decorations up and party favors ready. When Annie gets back everyone (including Jones and the Donlans and Eglamore, who were all hiding in a closet) will shout "Surprise" and get the big family reunion shindig started, with Annie as the guest of honor surrounded by all her friends. "Oh man it was so hard to keep a straight face!" Anthony will laugh.

It's all so obvious. I don't know what comic you guys are reading. :colbert:

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
She's gonna walk back into the classroom and he's gonna say "See? Now isn't she much prettier without makeup?"

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Oz posted:

She's gonna walk back into the classroom and he's gonna say "See? Now isn't she much prettier without makeup?"

So begins the worst arc yet, with Tony trying his very best to set Annie up with all sorts of boys, with disastrous results!

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Kamlen will discover polyamory. Antimony will die and Anthony will have "done nothing".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Love makes you act in strange ways.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Mentalizer posted:

And I cannot believe I'm once again serious posting about a comic.
It's not so bad once you get used to it.

Either way we're both agreed Anthony's a pretty miserable excuse for a father. Even giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming altruistic intentions, he wasn't there when Annie needed him most and continues to hold her arm's length when she'd probably welcome an open coming to terms. Annie wants to reconcile, or at least maintain some kind of connection; he's the one being difficult.

I just read posts like "What's he trying to do, make everybody hate her?" and think to myself no, there is probably some more human driving force behind his actions than just being an enormous jerk with a quota of jerkishness to meet and a need to make up for lost time not actively ruining Annie's life.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

IUG posted:

Hey look here's something else to talk about! Tom posted on Twitter that the soft cover Volume 1 for the comic is out!

http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=GK-VOL01-SOFT&Category_Code=GK

I might have to buy it along with the Annie in the Woods two issues.

Who cares about a soft cover Volume 1 when you should be caring about The Best Product? (me. I care)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I still can't reconcile the "has respect for others but is incapable of demonstrating it" picture of Anthony with whatever was going on in Divine. Annie fell unconscious without any way to expect or prepare for this invasion of her being, there were weird bone-skewers in her soul, and she only recovered when Zimmy ether-punched her dad.

I mean, I agree that Anthony has serious emotional problems, and he's probably not acting out of genuine spite. He probably does care for Annie on some level, too, even if only as a symbol of her mother. But it looks like those problems of his have rendered him incapable of considering the impact his actions will have on others. And that's an incredibly dangerous and harmful state for someone to be in.

I don't think there's any ulterior motives behind what's happening so far in this chapter. He probably doesn't like seeing her wear makeup because it makes her look like her mom. He wants something, he's in a position of authority, so he orders it. He isn't capable of thinking in terms of "tact", or considering the way he might be hurting her.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 19, 2015

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

I wonder if the bonespears needed those scapels...

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Both saying that he performed surgery / experimented on his daughter without her consent and saying that he was trying to save her from dying from fire elemental-itis is speculation. We don't have any idea what was happening there. Let's all just agree that Anthony has objectively been a terrible parent but probably has other less despicable qualities and is far from the worst fictional character in the universe. Which I guess that graph already proved.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Fecha posted:

Both saying that he performed surgery / experimented on his daughter without her consent and saying that he was trying to save her from dying from fire elemental-itis is speculation. We don't have any idea what was happening there. Let's all just agree that Anthony has objectively been a terrible parent but probably has other less despicable qualities and is far from the worst fictional character in the universe. Which I guess that graph already proved.

I think just the fact that he was doing something without her knowledge or consent that put her in a coma, and which didn't stop until he got ether punched in the jaw is enough to judge the guy pretty harshly. I mean you could probably come up with some convoluted back story that would justify it, but I get pretty hung up on the whole lack of knowledge and consent part of it. I mean Superdad did call her on the phone just before then, maybe instead of playing secret code games he could have said 'yo, sorry I'm a poo poo father but I have a plan I want to run by you'

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

I think just the fact that he was doing something without her knowledge or consent that put her in a coma, and which didn't stop until he got ether punched in the jaw is enough to judge the guy pretty harshly. I mean you could probably come up with some convoluted back story that would justify it, but I get pretty hung up on the whole lack of knowledge and consent part of it. I mean Superdad did call her on the phone just before then, maybe instead of playing secret code games he could have said 'yo, sorry I'm a poo poo father but I have a plan I want to run by you'

Kind of poo poo but in many ways totally within his rights as a parent. Frankly it's probably shittier doctoring than it is parenting, while parents have a lot of say over their kids medical health I don't think they TYPICALLY are supposed to approve procedures that they themselves are performing. Especially not experimental procedures. Hey maybe that's why he's introducing himself as MR. carver, he lost his license to practice medicine.

(Not that anthony carver isn't a terrible father and lovely person, I just disagree with the consensus view of the subject as far as scale goes.)

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
I wonder what Anthony looks like in the ether, if he looks like anything at all.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Yo, that graph? How in the gently caress is Anthony worse than Joffrey "tried to assassinate a crippled child," misogynist little poo poo, loving Baratheon?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Akett posted:

Yo, that graph? How in the gently caress is Anthony worse than Joffrey "tried to assassinate a crippled child," misogynist little poo poo, loving Baratheon?
Maybe that chart wasn't entirely serious.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

More fool me.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Akett posted:

He killed Surma.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Rumda posted:

He killed Surma.
And we did nothing.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rumda posted:

He killed Surma.

Hey now, our only evidence we have is an old shirt reading A. Carver at the crime scene. That could belong to anyone.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
I actually thought the art style was a callback to the early chapters when Annie had her football head and it made me think the football head was actually Annie's warped sense of herself after being abandoned by her dad, and we just thought it was the art style evolving all the time. Ergo the more confident she becomes, the more realistic she appears.

I thought about this way too much. :v:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hmm. I really don't see any way to interpret this beyond "dream sequence". Kinda surprised that's not the general consensus, especially since having the class sit around in silence til she comes back is a pretty spot-on representation of dream logic. "Here's something that makes no sense under rational scrutiny, but makes things worse and won't be scrutinized because dream."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'd disagree based on the class's reaction though? if it were a bad dream, i highly doubt they'd be so shocked, or that vegeta would be looking so angry at mr. carver

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If it was a dream sequence Anthony would look younger, and not have any scars.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah it looks like someone did a number on that poor guy.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Blackheart posted:

Yeah it looks like someone did a number on that poor guy.

Here's bettin' he gives Zimmy the stink-eye at least once.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Hmm. I really don't see any way to interpret this beyond "dream sequence". Kinda surprised that's not the general consensus, especially since having the class sit around in silence til she comes back is a pretty spot-on representation of dream logic. "Here's something that makes no sense under rational scrutiny, but makes things worse and won't be scrutinized because dream."

Dreams are not this structured and coherent, and prior displays of dreams in this comic support that interpretation. Nothing Anthony has done so far is outside the realm of what someone with severe interpersonal issues bordering on mental disorder would do. The only thing about this that could plausibly be argued to indicate a dream is the change in art in the most recent strip, which could just as easily be seen as indicative of Antimony's state of mind.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dreams are not this structured and coherent, and prior displays of dreams in this comic support that interpretation. Nothing Anthony has done so far is outside the realm of what someone with severe interpersonal issues bordering on mental disorder would do. The only thing about this that could plausibly be argued to indicate a dream is the change in art in the most recent strip, which could just as easily be seen as indicative of Antimony's state of mind.

It's happened before as well, back when Antimony found out about Surma's death, freaked out on Renard and ran away to the forest all the buildings were warped and distorted.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

BobTheJanitor posted:

Until Tom brings it back in the ill-considered spin-off Gunnerkrigg: The College Years!

"Ohmigod! I can't believe we all picked the same university!"

"Well, we don't normally allow talking stuffed toys as undergraduates but in this case... I guess we'll make an exception."

"Students, this is our new lecturer. Please welcome... Professor Anthony Carver!"

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Pistol_Pete posted:

"Well, we don't normally allow talking stuffed toys as undergraduates but in this case... I guess we'll make an exception."
"Ain't nothing in the rulebook that says a stuffed animal can't play college basketball."

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Someone remind me what time the update usually comes so i can F5 less

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wulfolme posted:

Someone remind me what time the update usually comes so i can F5 less

3 am eastern

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
Guys guys. All this "is it a dream" stuff is missing the forest for the trees.

What if Anthony is actually Coyote in disguise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Something just occurred to me: poo poo ain't free. Students' parents must pay for them to come to Gunnerkrigg Court somehow or another; I can't imagine it's part of the public school system. Anthony could be paying for Annie's room and board, and may have the power to cut her off from the court entirely. I wonder how an attempt by Annie to cut ties with her father would go as far as her continued attendance at Gunnerkrigg.