Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Under who's run was it that Doom delivered Valeria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Under who's run was it that Doom delivered Valeria?

Carlos Pachec, Rafael Marin, Karl Kesel

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

The secret is for people to not continually harass anybody over liking/disliking different comics. Why so many people in comics find this hard to believe or do :iiam:

The problem is people can't separate art from the artist. So you'll get scenarios where someone criticizes a piece of art then everyone jumps in defending the artist then everyone starts mocking each other.

And it's hard because any creative endeavor is very personal. But I hate a lot of work from people I respect, so does everyone else.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-being-part-of-the-problem/

well it looks like he offered a more in-depth apology. Not sure how I feel about it, which sucks since I've always enjoyed his stuff.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

al-azad posted:

The problem is people can't separate art from the artist. So you'll get scenarios where someone criticizes a piece of art then everyone jumps in defending the artist then everyone starts mocking each other.

And it's hard because any creative endeavor is very personal. But I hate a lot of work from people I respect, so does everyone else.

I agree with what you say, except that I feel that you can't separate the art from the artist. If only in the sense that the artist is directly affected if people consume his art (monetary gain, exposure, influence, etc.)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

al-azad posted:

People are a lot more willing to forgive an artist they already like, and are a lot more willing to forgive an artist who learns from their mistakes and becomes a better person for it. For me at least it's the reason I can still read a Chris Sims article but won't touch a book by Orson Scott Card.
One thing I have noticed on the internet lately though is the rush to forever condemn someone regardless of what happens next. Nowadays people are more than willing to always associate bad things a celebrity/person in power has done with something negative, instead of acknowledging that the person made a mistake and learned from it.

WickedHate posted:

My dad, who also likes comics, prefers physical copies, and most issues we just read in the store because we are remarkably poor.

Respect. I have comixology but I still buy certain floppies just because I like sharing them with my friends.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just don't think of artists as people. It's for the best.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Vincent posted:

I agree with what you say, except that I feel that you can't separate the art from the artist. If only in the sense that the artist is directly affected if people consume his art (monetary gain, exposure, influence, etc.)

That's certainly true, I just want to get over the mentality that you can't hate a person's work without also hating that person, their family, their pets, and every single person who reads their work.

I guess the irony of controversy is that it puts the art in question in front of a larger audience. So really artwork that stirs the pot is doing its job.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of, Phil Noto is a tiny person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Speaking of, Phil Noto is a tiny person.

Like, just short or overall? Tiny hands? Little head?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ugh these reddit motherfuckers are being huge assholes about the pulled Batgirl cover.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Ugh these reddit motherfuckers....

I think I have found the source of the problem.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I try really hard to avoid those internet circles, but they always filter thru.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Ugh these reddit motherfuckers are being huge assholes about the pulled Batgirl cover.

BSS appears to be the only place where we realize how inappropriate it was tp put that cover on the current run of the book.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

BSS appears to be the only place where we realize how inappropriate it was tp put that cover on the current run of the book.

drat, I don't really go anywhere else so I wouldn't know. Comic fans suck. :sigh:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Duder at my local was mad the cover got pulled. He agreed it was creepy, agreed it was inappropriate for the book, agreed it was making the two women he was talking with uncomfortable, agreed that the artist himself wanted it pulled, and was still mad about censorship. Apparently critics of the cover getting death threats meant that pulling the cover was Letting The Terrorists Win or something? :psyduck: It was a baffling conversation.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

WickedHate posted:

drat, I don't really go anywhere else so I wouldn't know. Comic fans suck. :sigh:

You must be really naive if you didn't think that was the case.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

al-azad posted:

That's certainly true, I just want to get over the mentality that you can't hate a person's work without also hating that person, their family, their pets, and every single person who reads their work.
Totes :agreed:

Anyone knows of a good book on female comic creator? I have Pretty in Ink in my sights already.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You must be really naive if you didn't think that was the case.

Nah, I know the "hardcore" crowd is like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Duder at my local was mad the cover got pulled. He agreed it was creepy, agreed it was inappropriate for the book, agreed it was making the two women he was talking with uncomfortable, agreed that the artist himself wanted it pulled, and was still mad about censorship. Apparently critics of the cover getting death threats meant that pulling the cover was Letting The Terrorists Win or something? :psyduck: It was a baffling conversation.

I have a customer voicing the same things. Its getting hard to deal with him. I did get him yo agree that it wasn't censorship.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Rhyno posted:

I have a customer voicing the same things. Its getting hard to deal with him. I did get him yo agree that it wasn't censorship.
I jumped into an argument about it with my local shop guy and some customers too. The owner's opinion was mostly a nonsensical hodgepodge, he thought that there was no difference between the variant and the Batgirl:Endgame cover because the Endgame cover had blood. He then started talking about not liking the darker psychotic Joker and blaming Heath Ledger and drugs and went off about that for a while. It seemed we were more or less 50/50 in favor of/against the cover at my shop though no one I spoke to that was mad about it being pulled actually reads Batgirl, and really that's the whole problem in the first place! I really can't fathom why anyone that doesn't read this comic is mad that they pulled a cover that offends and alienates their fanbase and target audience, especially since the artist asked that they pull it and the creators never wanted it.

If anyone missed it, Rafael Albuquerque came out and said that his initial design was less evocative of sexual violence and whoever manages these things at DC asked him to make it more sinister. I expect it still would've been pretty wrongheaded to even reference Killing Joke at all, but I'm curious to see what he had.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

I really can't fathom why anyone that doesn't read this comic is mad that they pulled a cover that offends and alienates their fanbase and target audience, especially since the artist asked that they pull it and the creators never wanted it.

Censorship this, freedom of speech that. :airquote:

You'd think if they cared so much about that they'd listen to the people actually involved in creating the drat thing. They're like the kind of Pro-Life people who protest outside clinics.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Still rapey, but her being angry and defiant is certainly better. Still shouldn't have been used anyway. Also proves the point people made that I cannot imagine an editor going "Can you make it so Batman's terrified and sobbing in this piece?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

One of the actual Batgirl comics today happened to have the perfect response to the cover.

Also in today's Batman Eternal when she's dragging in Joker's Daughter saying she really needed to punch that face (or something)
e:

That character literally wearing The Joker's cut off face if ya weren't hip.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 19, 2015

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Few things in comics annoy me as much as the idea of a character literally named "The Joker's Daughter".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Few things in comics annoy me as much as the idea of a character literally named "The Joker's Daughter".
I think her deal is that she's not, but wants to be, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She was supposed to get her own series as DC wanted her to become the next Harley Quinn. Thankfully somebody at DC quietly killed it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Chinaman7000 posted:

Duella Dent, the Joker's Daughter (who is actually the Riddler's niece or something) is purestrain Comic Book.

But this new Joker's Daughter who is some kind of morlock cutter who escaped from a creepy rapecult is... Very DC!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Chinaman7000 posted:

They tried so hard to make her the breakout character of the year but everything about her was so terrible. As crappy as Suicide Squad has been (please be better, Suicide Squad) it was pretty amusing having Harley try kill JD repeatedly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

They tried so hard to make her the breakout character of the year but everything about her was so terrible. As crappy as Suicide Squad has been (please be better, Suicide Squad) it was pretty amusing having Harley try kill JD repeatedly.

That sounds fun, as long as Harley's treating it like a hobby. Like, this girl isn't her nemesis or anything, she's just this annoying chick that she has to put up with, and she'd like that to stop, so... murder!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It could be fun if she does like the original character, abandons the Joker fixation and reappears as "various other Gotham villain's" Daughter.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 19, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

It could be fun if she does like the original character, abandons the Joker fixation and reappears as "various other Gotham villain's" Daughter.

Well it appears that she doesn't even have the real Joker face sewn into her own so hopefully she'll have a massive breakdown and disappear into obscurity.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
E: I misread.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Still rapey, but her being angry and defiant is certainly better. Still shouldn't have been used anyway. Also proves the point people made that I cannot imagine an editor going "Can you make it so Batman's terrified and sobbing in this piece?"

I would love to see a Batman version of this cover done for a book in the vein of Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth. It totally works if the objective is communicating purestrain bat-horror within.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Well it appears that she doesn't even have the real Joker face sewn into her own so hopefully she'll have a massive breakdown and disappear into obscurity.

I generally tend to stick with the mantra of "There are no bad characters, just bad writers" but yes, Joker's Daughter is in that rare Hall of Fame of Characters That Were Awful From Their Inception.

For some reason the second one just makes me laugh. The angry expression just makes me think of Barbara's internal monologue as "Christ, this rear end in a top hat again?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

I generally tend to stick with the mantra of "There are no bad characters, just bad writers" but yes, Joker's Daughter is in that rare Hall of Fame of Characters That Were Awful From Their Inception.

Jubilee.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Jubilee.

You shut your god damned mouth.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Those work great sequentially, but the whole point of superhero comics is that they triumph over fears and low points. The original depicted that low point, just like Knightfall did with the iconic back-breaker. It makes their triumph mean something in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

For some reason the second one just makes me laugh. The angry expression just makes me think of Barbara's internal monologue as "Christ, this rear end in a top hat again?"

This is literally my response every time Joker appears.

• Locked thread