Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Except quite a few of the Weather artists have made it (indie-scale) big. John Vanderslice, Hella, Adam Green, the Doomtree crew, Destroyer, have all seen a fair amount of success, and that's just off the top of my head.

Personally, I am waiting for the inevitable Mountain Goats Weather that will someday happen and will surely fit perfectly.

Took you long enough. :colbert:

(Good episode. Great weather.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

I've been dying to listen to this one again since I went to one of the live shows on the tour last year. Most enjoyable near-death experience with a librarian I think I've ever had.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
May I be one of the many few people who come in this thread just to say "Hey, this podcast is awesome and you are awesome!" There, I said it. I'm up to episode 42 right now considering I started listening to this 2 weeks ago. The interesting thing is that it has helped me at the very least be less sad in my time of lots of sad thoughts, which I hear people call "depression."

What I'm saying is your podcast is alright and gives me lots of happy feeling and gently caress THE HATERS THE WEATHER SECTION IS GREAT!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
INTERLOPER!

Seriously, welcome to the fandom! Glad it's helping you- I feel the same way sometimes. (No, I'm not one of the creators, just one of many devoted fans).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hi here is a new single from Disparition

https://disparition.bandcamp.com/album/faith

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I've been listening to the podcast on my commutes and just finished the last episode. What an amazing, awesome podcast. I don't know how I'll survive with only 2 episodes a month.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Holy loving poo poo, Against Me in the weather, get out of my playlists guys.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Yay, I skipped a weather for the first time ever! Now I know what it feels like to have an opinion (the right kind of opinion)! :smug:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I laughed so drat hard at the ennui faire. That was hysterical.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I didn't think the weather was that bad. Didn't really fit the episode, but it wasn't terrible. Unless there's some other reason the song/band sucks that I don't know about.

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

Crain posted:

I didn't think the weather was that bad. Didn't really fit the episode, but it wasn't terrible. Unless there's some other reason the song/band sucks that I don't know about.

I really like Against Me a lot, and it was a neat surprise to hear them in the weather rotation. Also, good episode this week!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Against Me isn't for everyone but their latest album, 'Transgender Dysphoria Blues' has a great message and Laura Jane Grace is an inspiration to a lot of folks in the LGBT community.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
The ennui fair was great, and this episode was probably one of the best usual-format eps I've heard in a while. I like how the overarching plot this year is Carlos being kind of a dick about staying in the desert otherworld and Cecil feeling sad about it.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
Book cover is up and so is a blurb if you click through to a seller. Will we finally learn the identity of the man in the tan jacket? I'm excited already.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Speaking of which: when should Kindle pre-orders be available?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I name my cities in Cities Skyline Nightvale and use these and their local news

I just need someone to mod in dog parks and pyramids.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

skooma512 posted:

I name my cities in Cities Skyline Nightvale and use these and their local news

I just need someone to mod in dog parks and pyramids.

There is a dog park! It's just forbidden to people who didn't pre-order.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

TinTower posted:

Speaking of which: when should Kindle pre-orders be available?

They've been available for at least a month.

Love the new book cover, was it designed by Rob Wilson as well?

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
Will anyone else be at Symphony Space tonight?

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...
Just started tuning into you guys. I had no idea you were a goon! You're fantastic. Congrats on all the success. For less than three years, that's especially impressive.

What would you say put the biggest spikes in your listenership? I run a show of my own that's been doing quite well (it picked up iTunes Best New Podcasts of 2014), but the biggest hurdle for me has been making headway in the US iTunes store. I'm based in Canada, see. I'm on the front page of the Canadian iTunes and have been sitting in the UK top 100 for some ten days straight now, but that US iTunes, man. I'll tell ya.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Thello posted:

Just started tuning into you guys. I had no idea you were a goon! You're fantastic. Congrats on all the success. For less than three years, that's especially impressive.

What would you say put the biggest spikes in your listenership? I run a show of my own that's been doing quite well (it picked up iTunes Best New Podcasts of 2014), but the biggest hurdle for me has been making headway in the US iTunes store. I'm based in Canada, see. I'm on the front page of the Canadian iTunes and have been sitting in the UK top 100 for some ten days straight now, but that US iTunes, man. I'll tell ya.

Tumblr. We went from 150k downloads total for our first year to something like 11 million downloads in two months the summer we blew up, and were number one in 9 different countries' iTunes. We've since expanded quite a bit on the Tumblr fanbase, so they're not the only ones who listen anymore, but they certainly were the ones who got the ball rolling.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...
That is excellent to know. I've found smatterings of my show on Tumblr from random Google searches, but it's one of those platforms I've personally never touched before. Something to look into. Thank you for the response!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Thello posted:

That is excellent to know. I've found smatterings of my show on Tumblr from random Google searches, but it's one of those platforms I've personally never touched before. Something to look into. Thank you for the response!

We did zero advertising or interacting with Tumblr. I didn't even know what it was. It was completely word of mouth. Not very helpful, but it's what happened.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

maxnmona posted:

We did zero advertising or interacting with Tumblr. I didn't even know what it was. It was completely word of mouth. Not very helpful, but it's what happened.

The gays. I think that having Carlos and Cecil as a thing from pretty early on really appealed to a lot of the Tumblr fanbase. Consider the popularity of Supernatural among a lot of the same people; a lot of their enthusiasm has been rooted in various (non-canonical) gay pairings.

I mean also the fact that WTNV is awesome and basically everyone involved is super talented, but I do think that the gays helped it catch on.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Thello posted:

Just don't go to any Tumblr conventions.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...

maxnmona posted:

Hah. Fair enough. I earn a fair bit of momentum from Twitter, so maybe I can put some words in Tumblr's mouths.

nerdpony posted:

The gays. I think that having Carlos and Cecil as a thing from pretty early on really appealed to a lot of the Tumblr fanbase. Consider the popularity of Supernatural among a lot of the same people; a lot of their enthusiasm has been rooted in various (non-canonical) gay pairings.
That's too funny. I actually worked on Supernatural for a couple seasons. The fans are cah-raaaaazy. It's been YEARS and I just had one find me on Facebook to ask me if I could get them a job. Word to the wise: if you're a Supernatural fan, don't try and sneak on set. Their body guard does not gently caress around.

Thello fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 18, 2015

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Thello posted:

That's too funny. I actually worked on Supernatural for a couple seasons. The fans are cah-raaaaazy.

Now I have to ask: Did you work on the "Fan Convention" episode? Cause that was the best one.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...

Crain posted:

Now I have to ask: Did you work on the "Fan Convention" episode? Cause that was the best one.
I thiiiiink I'd quit by that point. This was five or six years ago. Honestly though, since everything's shot out of order, it's possible I don't even remember.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nerdpony posted:

From what I have read it seems like it was the Hannibal fanbase specifically who "converted" to Night Vale or something like that which was the start of when it got much bigger

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Was at the show at Symphony Space tonight, and I have to say Maxnmona, you've really developed a stage presence. I was at the first Night Vale public show, and you were very different. You're more confident. You look much more comfortable on the stage. Try not to catch on fire, but I think now I have to not help you, with all your success.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

dj_clawson posted:

Was at the show at Symphony Space tonight, and I have to say Maxnmona, you've really developed a stage presence. I was at the first Night Vale public show, and you were very different. You're more confident. You look much more comfortable on the stage. Try not to catch on fire, but I think now I have to not help you, with all your success.

I agree -- everyone was really great, especially you and Jeffrey as interlocutors/masters of ceremonies/occasional performers. Cecil, Dylan, and Meg are all familiar to me from the podcast and various Neo-Futurist things (Thomas Pynchon really should have let you guys read at Selected Shorts, by the way), so it was especially interesting to see the things that made Night Vale Night Vale.

Do you know if this is going to air on NPR at any point? I'd love to be able to recommend it to people.

Tomorrow, once my phone is no longer dead, I'll post photos of the program (if there's interest) so people can see what was read.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

nerdpony posted:

Tomorrow, once my phone is no longer dead, I'll post photos of the program (if there's interest) so people can see what was read.

I'd love that! I didn't end up making it out tonight because master's thesis, but I'm sure it was a great show!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I have to confess when I read that it was influences on their writing I was a little disappointed that Lowtax wasn't there. Not that he would be there, but I would probably geek out upon seeing him.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Posted with mod permission:

I got a single lonely ticket to the Philly live show (Thursday 3/26) and I probably can't make it. Tickets are still available at retail for $40 but I'll sell you mine for $25.

I really want to go but I'm leaving on a business trip the next day and I live far away from Philly. :(

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

nerdpony posted:

I agree -- everyone was really great, especially you and Jeffrey as interlocutors/masters of ceremonies/occasional performers. Cecil, Dylan, and Meg are all familiar to me from the podcast and various Neo-Futurist things (Thomas Pynchon really should have let you guys read at Selected Shorts, by the way), so it was especially interesting to see the things that made Night Vale Night Vale.

Do you know if this is going to air on NPR at any point? I'd love to be able to recommend it to people.

It's a public radio show, so it will air there and as a podcast. I don't know exactly what its distribution is and which stations play it.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

nerdpony posted:

Seconding -- Thanks for a great show. Your poem about new york touched me deeply yet appropriately and yet non corporeally.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
This may be a dumb question, but is there a master list of The Weathers? I want to see which ones I'm missing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

This may be a dumb question, but is there a master list of The Weathers? I want to see which ones I'm missing.

http://nightvale.wikia.com/wiki/Weather

Random nerds making wikis can be useful sometimes.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
How many bloodstone circles do I have to make to get a Night Vale Community Radio travel mug from the store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
It's already available in an imagination edition.