Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neo Rasa posted:

This thing, somehow, had some sick music for GB.

Fun trivia: DSiWare was a thing before the AppStore. Apple started the AppStore specifically because they saw the Nintendo potential along with the massive $$$$ Wii was pulling in with really simple games.

You aint no taint reaper

Theta Zero posted:

2 and 5 were pretty good. All of them desperately need online play, though. That is, official online play.

Yeah. Most Mario parties i've played you can laugh at the absurdity of some motherfuycker stealing your stars but still kick their rear end in topsy turvy or some poo poo but i don't have any IRL friends right now so there's no way i'm gonna buy this if there ain't any real online play. Comon Nintendo...you lost yourself a sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

bobby2times posted:

So, whats the turn around for Nintendo to replace a refurbished Wii U thats getting disc read errors 1 day in?

I had the same thing happen with my refurb. I think it took like 2 weeks to get it out there and back here and I'm in Pennsylvania.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its weird, everyone bitches about Mario Party 9's car mechanic. But I got a few old friends together and we busted out Mario Party 2 and it was the SLOWEST paced game ever. I think there's some heavy nostalgia glasses at play here.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its weird, everyone bitches about Mario Party 9's car mechanic. But I got a few old friends together and we busted out Mario Party 2 and it was the SLOWEST paced game ever. I think there's some heavy nostalgia glasses at play here.

I played 2 recently with friends and it seemed to be paced just fine, although there's a lot less player involvement when it's not your turn. You can still spam noises though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It seems like Mario Party is a really good game in theory, it just doesn't really get executed well often.

I remember playing some Mario Party for the N64 and GCN and I enjoyed them, especially the extras like Minigame island. If they're going back to the "roots" of success with games like Cat Mario, they could at least do it for Mario Party.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mario party 2 is perfect

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this is now the mario party 2 thread:

i like how in western world if you call a hootenany the other players will move past the hootenany space on their turn so if you have the funds you can get trapped in an endless cycle of hootenanies

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i liked that the characters dressed up for the different boards and was disappointed to find out that mario party 2 is the only one to ever do that

I wanna see cowboy waluigi

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the best mario party 2 board is mystery land, it is a science fact

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

abagofcheetos posted:

You are again listing things that do not require $200 million investments with leading pay to win mobile developers to create. Even Sony has, by themselves, created a bunch of mobile minigames that unlock things for their primary platforms, and they are Sony.

I'm not even saying they are going straight to pay to win garbage and you will be paying to break blocks in Mario, but Nintendo is not half assing this.

If investing in an online platform is half-assing it, what do you think their real intentions are?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Hey guys, just got a Wii U as a gift from a friend in the States. I was told to register my 3DS on the Canada region to avoid the crazy inflated prices the Mexican store has. Can something similar be done with this console or do I just have to eat the extra cost per game?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

Pirate land isbetter because on pirate land everybody dresses like pirates

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

"Suggests that due to how much content you need to make for a Sonic alone game, it’s too much work. You need additional characters to spread the burden of content." Some dumb Sonic Boom Producer.
http://nintendoeverything.com/sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-producer-reflects-on-the-game/
Wow.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
By "burden of content" he's obviously referring to the amount of time/effort/money that goes into making an individual stage/area/etc.

3D Sonic games have always struggled in that sense because Sonic stages are huge and detailed and resource-intensive but Sonic needs to be able to blow through them in a few minutes, so they have to pad the games with all sorts of bullshit in order to keep people from complaining that the games are short or lacking in content or whatever.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

By "burden of content" he's obviously referring to the amount of time/effort/money that goes into making an individual stage/area/etc.

3D Sonic games have always struggled in that sense because Sonic stages are huge and detailed and resource-intensive but Sonic needs to be able to blow through them in a few minutes, so they have to pad the games with all sorts of bullshit in order to keep people from complaining that the games are short or lacking in content or whatever.

It sounds like what Sonic needs is a bunch of randomly generated stages made from a bunch of theme groups. Diablo 3 had the same issue of people clearing the stages way too quickly to the point of being bored so what they did instead of having the already made dungeons with a somewhat pre-determined layout, is that there's a constant shifting array of dungeon setups every time you access yet another level. That way you can re-use stuff and still have it provide sufficient challenge and content without it being too taxing on resources.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 19, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I know. But it just sounds like such a dumb problem. I would play sonic if it were more akin to fzero and the terrain was largely barren but full of twists and turns. Instead we have a cast of dull characters that force the levels to be made for slower then sonic gameplay too. Its a shame.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

absolutely anything posted:

Best board is Horror Land, dude, get with it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Best board is Horror Land, dude, get with it.

You're lousy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Junkie Disease posted:

I know. But it just sounds like such a dumb problem. I would play sonic if it were more akin to fzero and the terrain was largely barren but full of twists and turns. Instead we have a cast of dull characters that force the levels to be made for slower then sonic gameplay too. Its a shame.

You should play Rayman Legends.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

You should play Rayman Legends.

Hey now you could have said anything and have it be leagues better at being a sonic game than a sonic game. Thats a good game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Junkie Disease posted:

Hey now you could have said anything and have it be leagues better at being a sonic game than a sonic game. Thats a good game.

Yeah but in terms of Platformers, Rayman legends is not only the largest 2D perspective platformer it's also one of the most balanced and has various types of platforming.

I still like it better than Mario 3D world and Tropical Freeze.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Junkie Disease posted:

There's at least one iOS Sonic game that's exactly that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I keep hearing that we're getting a Direct this week, has that been confirmed because I'm not seein anything.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the best mario party 2 map is western land, because it has a high density of battle mini games on the main pathways, as well as the potential for shenanigans by calling hootenanies. further, the duel minigame is top quality

the second best is Horror Land, as it has an interesting structure, a good map gimmick through the day night cycle, and the potential for a huge reversal via king boo

the overall tier list is

western land
horror land
bowser land
space land
pirate land
mystery land

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

another reason mario party 2 is the best is because it has the cutscene in the end where you stop bowser's scheme, where it cuts to a silhouette before dramatically revealing the winner, who then bests bowser

the best way to play is to turn off the screen during the distribution of bonus stars, so it's not clear who's won until this point

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I keep hearing that we're getting a Direct this week, has that been confirmed because I'm not seein anything.

Korea's definitely getting one, the rest of the world is getting a private media briefing at the very least.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Korea's definitely getting one, the rest of the world is getting a private media briefing at the very least.

Fair enough.

Also Mario Party 2 sucked rear end because around like... 70% of the minigames or more were just straight up ripped from 1 with a slightly different aesthetic.

Mario Party 3 is better in every way possible.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I bet we'll get a Direct next Thursday.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Been playing DKCTF and thinking about it too. It's hard. I've been dying a lot in that game, but what I think is really interesting is that in this game in particular, dying makes me feel like I want to do better. Usually in games, if I'm doing badly, it just makes me frustrated and want to quit, but this game and a small few others are unique in that losing makes me want to keep playing. I wonder what specifically makes it different in this regard than other games.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

It's almost as if Sonic games have an inherently flawed core premise!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

Which would encourage the players to buy the actual, good console/handheld games? If it pans out it would be a coup for Nintendo.

Are there any actual developers of Nintendo's pedigree actually making mobile games, apart from Square?

I think the realistic scenario and the one everyone is scared of is that it doesn't push players to console games at all, it ends up being super successful and Nintendo slowly shifts more attention to mobile

abagofcheetos posted:

the type of people that play mobile games do not give a poo poo about real games because if they did they wouldnt be playing mobile games
Nope, I have PS3/Wii U/3DS/Vita/Gaming PC that I all play on regularly and I still use my phone for mobile games a lot. I always have my phone, I don't walk around with handhelds on me at all times.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mango sentinel posted:

It's impossible to know for sure whether the premise is irreconcilable or whether Sega's just incapable of doing it properly, either because they can't afford to or because they're just no good.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Sonic Generations (the "modern" levels) is really goddamn good but way too goddamn short.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

mango sentinel posted:

What is the 3D Sonic games core premise, doing platforming really quickly? Because that's been done right and well many times before. It feels more like the developers are more interested in unpolished gimmicks rather than expanding and fine-tuning the central gameplay mechanic of just running and jumping.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Been working on Wonderful101 and boy is it a rough game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I feel that after SEGA went third party they stopped giving a poo poo about Sonic as anything other than a franchise that would bring profit no matter how glitchy and poorly designed the games were. SA1 and 2 were a pretty weak jump to 3D, but after that they just stopped trying at all.

edit: Though I guess the trouble started when they couldn't get a proper Saturn Sonic out and the failed development almost killed the one guy they left working on the project.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 19, 2015

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

the big sonic games haven't had any playable characters besides sonic since sonic 2006, not counting sonic boom: rise of lyric which isn't really a sonic game outside of having his name in the title.

the biggest thing sonic has always had over mario imo is how every zone is it's own unique and detailed world with it's own music that isn't ever repeated across the entire series. some zones do have similar themes with others but they always have something that makes them unique. it's the whole reason why a game like generations was even possible to make. removing that from sonic is one of the worst things that could be done to the series.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Isn't Sonic properly dead now? I heard SEGA is moving away from console game development and that Sonic Runner phone game was a Sonic Team project.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
They have confirmed they they're still going to make console Sonic games. Everything else is pc and mobile now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

What is the 3D Sonic games core premise, doing platforming really quickly?
There is no core premise for the 3D sonic games. 3D Blast was an isometric collectathon, SA1 was an attempt at translating the inertia and momentum from the Genesis games into 3D and also gimmicks to pad out time, SA2 was attempt number two but with even more characters and playstyles, Heroes was obnoxious speed, multiple routes, and team puzzle solving, Shadow the Hedgehog was more obnoxious speed and overtly combat focused, Sonic 06 was a trainwreck trying way too many things at once, Secret Rings was speed without much substance, Unleashed tangoed with more meaty manageable but erratic speed and tried combat again, I don't think we need to talk about Black Knight, Colors had speed but also methodical platforming and puzzle solving and the Wisps complimented them all well enough, Generations was reflex and speed with some stage-based mechanics, and Lost World pushed even more for speed and added parkour while keeping and demoting the Wisps.

Seriously, the only things I can remember that are generally consistent in the games are the homing attack, some of the characters, combat at varying levels of complexity, and rings. If they only cared about going fast they wouldn't throw enemy roadblocks at you that you couldn't skip.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 19, 2015

• Locked thread