Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It looks really bright and fake in those screens.

It looks somewhat better in-game in a boreal map but yeah, the vibrance of it is bugging me a tad. Mainly I was worried about it looking too drab if I picked less saturated colours (and people on paradox plaza have been complaining about really drab-looking stuff) but I think I overshot and lost the effect I was going for.

Why can't I make stuff like this properly :(

e: also with my background it's a little tough to not pick really bright colours because last time I did 3D regularly, I did cartoon stuff.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

It looks somewhat better in-game in a boreal map but yeah, the vibrance of it is bugging me a tad. Mainly I was worried about it looking too drab if I picked less saturated colours (and people on paradox plaza have been complaining about really drab-looking stuff) but I think I overshot and lost the effect I was going for.

Why can't I make stuff like this properly :(

e: also with my background it's a little tough to not pick really bright colours because last time I did 3D regularly, I did cartoon stuff.

Keep at it! The games got a really strong lighting system, one person might have a realistic lighting mod, and another will have some mad vibrant one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Y'all seem to like your wind farms, as soon as I got nuclear I was like 'gently caress that poo poo' and bulldozed the lot.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

This game handles specmaps weird. It's either FULL BLAST, some specularity, or none. Part of the "toyish" look of the building might be because the whole roof is uniform shinyness even though I have the roof tiles to be quite dark on the specmap :psyduck:

e: I can't believe I'm still working on this thing.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 19, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Request[request] clone/copy tool (self.CitiesSkylinesModding)
submitted 22 minutes ago by krillr

we desperately need a clone tool. i'm building a grid city of massive proportions, and its getting very tedious...

:cripes:

MikeJF posted:

Y'all seem to like your wind farms, as soon as I got nuclear I was like 'gently caress that poo poo' and bulldozed the lot.

I always put some for flavor, they look cool.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Hit 200k today without really trying. Cargo ships just form huge lines now to get into my ports.

Everything flows quite well. The red stuff has a lot of traffic but doesn't seem obstructed in any way. Except for the red on the highway on the left, which had an on ramp that was causing some issues and has since been removed.

not shown: as predicted, my five-roundabout-mega-intersection started to choke out at around 200k people and got replaced with one of those large Pinavia intersections linked earlier, which made things a lot more compact but doesn't seem to be much of an improvement. Will probably have to replace it with something more heavy duty later.

Have a couple of scenic screenshots to round out the collection

Map: Hong Kong

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

That FAQ on how to update workshop items should really be in the OP. I deleted my updated version trying to get the old version out of my game, and the "guide" on the wiki is trash because it tells you how to get the update button, not how to fix the loving thing.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Good luck sign

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410113692

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I Just realized that even though I've plopped most of the buildings for the Eden Project that it still says 0 of 1 completed and lists a building that I've already plopped. Anyone else had this issue? Does this get messed up with mods?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Some people are really not getting the busway concept.

:downs: posted:

Where would I possibly place this? If it cannot be on the "main grid" where would it be? This just isn't a solution to the bus issue if it cannot really be placed where it needs to be.

I don't know, dipshit, maybe try READING THE INSTRUCTIONS or googling "busway". It doesn't belong on the main loving grid, because that defeats the purpose. Is there any way I can word this so that people with obvious learning disabilities can understand "HEY THIS IS SEPARATE FROM EVERY OTHER ROAD BECAUSE BUSES gently caress TRAFFIC".

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

gently caress this goddamn "entire neighborhood dies off at the same time, clogs up all your hearses, leaving you with a city of the dead" bug, I have over 100 hearses all out in action, lost 10k of my population, and a good quarter of the city is now abandoned :negative:

At least the circular farm district of entirely one-way roads I put on the other side of the highway flows well :shobon:

Noyemi K posted:

Busway stuff
Some sort of bus-only road or busway entry/exit gate mod can't come soon enough.

edit: ...aaaand there goes all my industry and commerce starting to be abandoned from lack of workers. Kinda reminds me of Dwarf Fortress tantrum spirals :smith:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 19, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I finally got the workshop to update my stupid mod properly. It's less saturated and has an edited specmap so it's not as toy-looking, and not as washed-out as the last "update" (I need to update the screenshots). It looks somewhat better than my (really popular) wayshrine mod in my opinion but if you don't like my style, it's not really an improvement.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thank you pflax :allears:

http://www.twitch.tv/pyrionflax

You should really, really watch this.
It's the beginning of something beautiful.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 19, 2015

Cincle
Dec 28, 2003

I bought this smiley.
Why do my office building say they need to be covered by more services while everything is totally in the green?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
So I'm making a thing.

Still figuring out the finer points of the map editor and I'm actually more interested in building cities, so it'll probably take me a while to make something worthwhile playing.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Cincle posted:

Why do my office building say they need to be covered by more services while everything is totally in the green?

I just plop down a full set of services like every other or every third city block. It seems to get the job done. Public transport is another one that's easy to overlook. I do find it strange that the triggering factor for my sludge-filled wasteland of an industrial zone upgrading was the addition of several elementary schools.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

TheOrange posted:

Really dumb that they made all these negative milestones requirements to unlock the special buildings.

It's bafflingly stupid, and a real wasted opportunity. I'm not about to gently caress up my entire city just to hit a load of arbitrary mismanagement targets. Really don't know wtf they were thinking.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Working on learning sketchup so I can add a mosque into the game as some sort of park maybe?

This would be great. Game definitely needs more churches, temples, mosques etc. I'd love to be able to plonk some unique modern cathedrals down—the Hallgrimskirkja, the Arctic Cathedral, Guildford Cathedral etc. They'd look great.

e; well, whaddya know - someone has already modelled the Arctic Cathedral. Good stuff! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409383242&searchtext=

Flopstick fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 19, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I unlocked all those requirements by opening the Los Santos GTA V save.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Y'know what'd be awesome - if we could set the "style" of a district (as well as policies) such that you could choose from either preset or custom lists of buildings to make distinct looking suburbs, make more use of the variety. Be nice to have 'historic' districts with older looking buildings as well as making sure everything in 'techno park' looked appropriate. That way sets of DLC buildings (workshop or official dlc) could be grouped together for a consistent look. I have no idea if that's even possible though, but I can dream.

Also has anyone found any mods that let you build zones up against the one way offramp roads? I found zoneable pedestrian paths but not for the single lane one way streets, many of which exist in my home town so I thought it would be fun to re-create. Not fun for the cars. Fun fact: some got turned into two way streets that also allow parking - loving grand ole time driving along one of those fuckers - oh poo poo someone coming the other way? one of us gonna have to park - is there room? No? gently caress.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Just a quick one again.

I see 3DS max has a feature to automatically make auto uv maps. I'm gonna learn how to do it 'properly', but for the time being, can I still paint faces with materials manually, and run some action to generate these magic UV maps. Fuckin things. Jus wanna texture cubes :)

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

simosimo posted:

Just a quick one again.

I see 3DS max has a feature to automatically make auto uv maps. I'm gonna learn how to do it 'properly', but for the time being, can I still paint faces with materials manually, and run some action to generate these magic UV maps. Fuckin things. Jus wanna texture cubes :)

Eventually you'll want to do some manual UV editing to really optimize space on the texture, or to do things like giving a window lots of detail despite it being small on the building. It's annoying, but it can actually save you work because you can stack like surfaces together so that they all use the same part of the texture.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Pyrion just killed 6000 people in his town with shitwater. :allears: That was after building a 48 MW dam and leveling it a few days later after realizing what a terrible idea it was.

Good to see his dota skills carrying over to other games.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Kanfy posted:

Pyrion just killed 6000 people in his town with shitwater. :allears: That was after building a 48 MW dam and leveling it a few days later after realizing what a terrible idea it was.

Good to see his dota skills carrying over to other games.

The moment of realization was pretty loving gold, yeah.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

Eventually you'll want to do some manual UV editing to really optimize space on the texture, or to do things like giving a window lots of detail despite it being small on the building. It's annoying, but it can actually save you work because you can stack like surfaces together so that they all use the same part of the texture.

Yeah I see the upside, esp with repeating parts. So on a single texture, does it matter how big things are or where they are placed? Lets say a 1024x1024 texture has every part of a basic house, a large space for the wall because we want that information to not be blurred and a small spot for the doors and windows, and even smaller areas for misc stuff like pipes and guttering.

Am I right in assuming that all you are doing is creating points on this flat texture with everything on, and these points/coordinates are reflected on the model. So 'rectangle one', which is 25px by 200px lets say, this rectangle will be a part of guttering. I then select the face of the shape in the 3D view and then this 'rectangle one' selected area appears on the face.

I'm trying to learn after work each evening, i've been jumping between Sketch/Blender/3DS so my heads all over the place. The actual modelling is the easy part, who knew! :) Just wanna crank out some small props for the workshop, lets hope I can crack this poo poo soon.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Patch just went up:

added a Film grain slider in the Graphics options, like for the Tilt shift. (Users with the Disable Film Grain mod subscribed from Steam workshop and enabled will be notified with a "Console warning" when the game start and the game will automatically disable the mod and set the film grain amount to 0 so that no action from users is required apart from closing the Console panel).

road upgrade tool now works between two-way and one-way roads and right mouse-button changes direction of one-way roads

nerfed parks decreasing commercial demand

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

queeb posted:

road upgrade tool now works between two-way and one-way roads and right mouse-button changes direction of one-way roads

So they are adopting the WoW stance on modding - incorporate any popular mods into the base game. I like it!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Full notes here.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255710/discussions/0/611701360821801977/

The park change is what I was hoping for!

canepazzo posted:

So they are adopting the WoW stance on modding - incorporate any popular mods into the base game. I like it!

I'm hoping the Autosave makes it next.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

queeb posted:

(Users with the Disable Film Grain mod subscribed from Steam workshop and enabled will be notified with a "Console warning" when the game start and the game will automatically disable the mod and set the film grain amount to 0 so that no action from users is required apart from closing the Console panel).

Good god but are they being accommodating to the users.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Fluo posted:

So in my piss about experimental game I think I've reclaimed a good bit of land with still having the see ports open

This is a dope as gently caress post

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Thank you pflax :allears:

http://www.twitch.tv/pyrionflax

You should really, really watch this.
It's the beginning of something beautiful.

His Name was Pyrion and he rode out of the West to suck balls at Dota

Big ups to everyone who made dope highway interchanges that would turn out like utter disasters if I spent any time designing them

edit 2: What if Paradox made a game in Renaissance Italy or some poo poo that was like skylines but combined some of the political stuff from Crusader Kings 2

At least then I wouldn't have to see roundabouts

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 19, 2015

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Have the Germans modded any multi-modal transport stuff in yet, or is that not possible with the current freight set up?

(Entire trucks loaded onto trains, ships directly unloading onto trains, that kind of stuff)

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Full patch notes, includes fix for commercial demand - http://steamcommunity.com/app/255710/discussions/0/611701360821801977/

quote:

1.0.6 - Patch notes

Windows: dependencies to the visual studio runtime have been removed. Addresses the issue where ColossalNative.dll would fail to load for users missing/having wrong msvcrt dlls.
Windows/OSX: fixed an issue where some users would not have permissions to access an user folder
Linux: fixed some cases where the first time launch would show the game half way out of the screen on dual monitors
Linux: various runtime optimizations
Linux: hopefully fixed the performance problems and the log spam, we were unable to reproduce that issue so this is a bit of a blindfolded fix
Linux: added support for $XDG_DATA_HOME. If you are using a custom path for XDG and already played the game on that machine, you will need to manually move the user files from the default folder ~/.local/share/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines to $XDG_DATA_HOME/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines
Mac/Linux: fixed a crash when selecting a building in the Asset importer
All platforms: added some debug info which may be useful when trying to help users in trouble
All platforms: added support for -screen-height & -screen-width and lowered severity of argument error unsupported launch options so they would cause the new game button to be greyed
Modding API: fixed OnCalculateResidentialDemand, OnCalculateCommercialDemand and OnCalculateWorkplaceDemand to call their respective counterpart properly. Also fixed for office buildings calling industrial level up.
building effect radius is more accurate
added a Film grain slider in the Graphics options, like for the Tilt shift. (Users with the Disable Film Grain mod subscribed from Steam workshop and enabled will be notified with a "Console warning" when the game start and the game will automatically disable the mod and set the film grain amount to 0 so that no action from users is required apart from closing the Console panel).
added a chirper volume slider in the Audio options
intro screen can be skipped with mouse click or key press
fixed a case where an error would occur if the Source folder was not found while sharing a Mod to the workshop
fixed Publish workshop panel caption to not always show Savegame regardless which asset type was selected
killed the clicking sounds that could be heard on a quiet night during full moon and near the end of the loading screen
buildings uploaded to the workshop will now go to their respective tags automatically. (Buildings already on the workshop will not, we are currently investigating how to make it happen without users having to do anything about it)
fixed holding down mouse button and release over ui keeps some tools active
fixed tooltip stays visible when using shortcut to open area view
fixed parking spaces still working for burned down buildings.
fixed mouse raycast use normal mesh for burned down buildings.
removed airplane engine sound from unlockpanel... :p
fixed minor text issues in different languages
fixed wrong tree shadow alpha with pollution or water
fixed bulldozeing ship/airplane paths in map editor even when they are not visible
fixed pedestrian bridge color slightly wrong from far distance

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Review: This game is lovely play it ok :3:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Review: This game is lovely play it ok :3:

I need a number system or no buy

Fluo
May 25, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

This is a dope as gently caress post

Thanks! :) Reading what I wrote though now makes no sense, I blame being half asleep D:

Anyway I've pretty much reclaimed land from the sea with the dam + water pump system, and on the left hand side have a dam giving a good energy supply by having my water treatment plants behind it giving it a good boost. Top right dammed river I have my drinking water. Almost finished building most of the city in the big open area of the sea. :D

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

simosimo posted:

Yeah I see the upside, esp with repeating parts. So on a single texture, does it matter how big things are or where they are placed? Lets say a 1024x1024 texture has every part of a basic house, a large space for the wall because we want that information to not be blurred and a small spot for the doors and windows, and even smaller areas for misc stuff like pipes and guttering.

Am I right in assuming that all you are doing is creating points on this flat texture with everything on, and these points/coordinates are reflected on the model. So 'rectangle one', which is 25px by 200px lets say, this rectangle will be a part of guttering. I then select the face of the shape in the 3D view and then this 'rectangle one' selected area appears on the face.

I'm trying to learn after work each evening, i've been jumping between Sketch/Blender/3DS so my heads all over the place. The actual modelling is the easy part, who knew! :) Just wanna crank out some small props for the workshop, lets hope I can crack this poo poo soon.

Basically, though what I do is create the UV map first and then draw the textures.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Koesj posted:

It would work splendidly in Cities and is a very modern and high capacity design IRL:

As you can see in the pic I just made, the top two connecting parts are part of the Virginia HOT/Express/whatever Lanes and don't have much to do with the rest of the interchange.

The third part is I-395 north towards DC interchanging with the Capital Beltway via a semidirectional T.

The fourth part is I-95 south towards Richmond interchanging with the Capital Beltway via a directional T.

The bottom part is part of the huge-rear end offramp complex to the south.

If it is a very modern and high capacity design, why do we still have traffic jams! :colbert:

In all seriousness though, I go by that intersection all the time, and it really isn't as bad when you are driving on it, since you just follow the signs and honestly w/o this aerial view I had no idea that there are that many roads at work there, since all the paths are pretty isolated from each other.

Now Rt. 66, of northern Virginia, that is nearby, that thing, is a nightmare... At almost all hours on every days of the week there will be traffic jam on that road...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shanakin posted:

Hit 200k today without really trying. Cargo ships just form huge lines now to get into my ports.

These screenshots of cities where there are just huge numbers of skyscrapers hugging the edges of a body of water are satisfying some gross form of OCD in me that I never knew I had :staredog:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Fluo posted:

Thanks! :) Reading what I wrote though now makes no sense, I blame being half asleep D:

Anyway I've pretty much reclaimed land from the sea with the dam + water pump system, and on the left hand side have a dam giving a good energy supply by having my water treatment plants behind it giving it a good boost. Top right dammed river I have my drinking water. Almost finished building most of the city in the big open area of the sea. :D

It is pretty owny and I had no idea you can even do land reclamation on such a scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

I need a number system or no buy
Yes out of Buy It Now.
11/Fart -IGN