Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

It's a single panel throwaway gag.

That's still very much current and not dated yet, since the loving GG still exists.

Edit: Don't call her Princess

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pop culture references are bullshit

[Deadpool #26]

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Decius posted:

That's still very much current and not dated yet, since the loving GG still exists.

It's a great joke that I laughed at. I was just mystified at the people who were annoyed or offended by it, since it's literally one panel in a 22 page comic.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I can't wait to hear the MRA backlash over the Batgirl variant cover removal, pretty much all of it boiling down to people being angry that they didn't buy a copy before it was shitcanned, making it potentially more valuable in the long run.

"We should be able to celebrate the Joker's birthday by celebrating that time Alan Moore had him cripple Batgirl and take naked pictures of her!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I can't wait to hear the MRA backlash over the Batgirl variant cover removal, pretty much all of it boiling down to people being angry that they didn't buy a copy before it was shitcanned, making it potentially more valuable in the long run.

"We should be able to celebrate the Joker's birthday by celebrating that time Alan Moore had him cripple Batgirl and take naked pictures of her!"

Even Moore regrets that part and criticized DC for not "reining him in". And I think The Killing Joke was supposed to not be canonical, and in fact ends with Batman killing Joker.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Reading through the Atomic Robo archives, I loved this page.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Even Moore regrets that part and criticized DC for not "reining him in". And I think The Killing Joke was supposed to not be canonical, and in fact ends with Batman killing Joker.

The script says otherwise, even if the artwork supports it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Wasn't the whole point that it was really ambiguous what happened? Like, maybe Batman killed him, maybe he just dragged him away?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

It also ended with Batman laughing like crazy, didn't it? That's probably non-canonical.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

And I think The Killing Joke was supposed to not be canonical, and in fact ends with Batman killing Joker.

Not this again.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Not this again.
A thousand times yes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does Batman sit at any time in Killing Joke? This is important for its canonicity.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Endless Mike posted:

Does Batman sit at any time in Killing Joke? This is important for its canonicity.

I was going to joke that Batman doesn't sit, but, well:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's not canon. :colbert:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Not this again.

I have the biggest feeling of deja vu for some reason.

Anyway, rare Sandman funny (#22). Morpheus has to go and fight Lucifer.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Decius posted:

Edit: Don't call her Princess

I see she went to the samoan school of conflict resolution. Headbutts solve everything!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Reddit is already losing their poo poo over it. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Trast posted:

Reddit is already losing their poo poo over it. That should tell you everything you need to know.

There's already an edited version with Anita Sarkeesian substituted for Batgirl floating around. Kill the Internet.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Looking at an article in the Washington Post about this Batgirl whole affair, it's like everyone involved with anything Batgirl at DC is turning into a variant of the "Coupon-The Movie" sketch from Mr. Show.

Sort of a "It's a great cover, belongs in a museum, a work for the ages, we all LOVE the cover... It never should have been published or made and everyone involved wants to distance themselves from its existence."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...urely-you-jest/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Albuquerque is a phenomenal artist (his covers for Nomad are some of my favourite covers EVER), and the piece is beautifully rendered and is very good at conveying the disquiet and creepiness it's aiming for. It absolutely should not have even been considered for the purpose they were planning on using it for, though. People compared it to the Manara Spider-Woman piece, but it's more like if Marvel got Manara to do a cover for Squirrel Girl. (Or maybe the Thor cover he was going to do before that blew up.)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Please, not another Batgirl derail. At least keep it in the DC/Batman thread or even the chat thread.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Someone light a match in here.

New Gods #2

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought Darkseid would have a better throne.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SynthOrange posted:

I thought Darkseid would have a better throne.

Now you know why he prefers couches and lounge chairs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Deadpool posted:

Now you know why he prefers couches and lounge chairs.

That was the first piece of furniture that we ever saw him sit on

New Gods 2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Someone light a match in here.

New Gods #2

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

That was the first piece of furniture that we ever saw him sit on

New Gods 2

All that's missing is a good light read. Like perhaps of dictatorial manifesto. You know something you breeze through in an afternoon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Deadpool posted:

All that's missing is a good light read. Like perhaps of dictatorial manifesto. You know something you breeze through in an afternoon.

He would be the guy who brings a book into the house he breaks into waiting for you to return home, and also drinking all your booze.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Deadpool posted:

Fine.

(JLI something-or-other)

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Mister Mind posted:

Fine.

(JLI something-or-other)

So did he come in from some nasty rain or get so scared he just pissed all over himself?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

The Mentalizer posted:

So did he come in from some nasty rain or get so scared he just pissed all over himself?

It's really pissing down out there.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Someone should tell Darkseid that Mein Kamph is probably a poorly translated knock-off.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Mentalizer posted:

That is not Batman in year one!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

Pop culture references are bullshit

[Deadpool #26]

I feel like I had a stroke while reading this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mister Mind posted:

Fine.

(JLI something-or-other)

I-Yi-Yiiiii-Yi-Yi!!!!

Thanks. That's the one I was thinking of.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

The Mentalizer posted:

Oberon was crawling through the Apokolips sewer system (if I recall correctly), and ended up in Darkseid's rec room.

Deadpool posted:

I-Yi-Yiiiii-Yi-Yi!!!!

Thanks. That's the one I was thinking of.

Glad to help :)

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Mister Mind posted:

Oberon was crawling through the Apokolips sewer system (if I recall correctly), and ended up in Darkseid's rec room.

That's actually a better answer than I expected, I just figured the coloring was off or something.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

McSpanky posted:

I feel like I had a stroke while reading this.
I'm happy with both interpretations of this.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Mister Mind posted:

Fine.

(JLI something-or-other)

bobkatt013 posted:

New Gods 2

Maybe it's some inner fanboyism, but...

This sort of thing is something you don't see often. The man is utterly self-assured in all situations. He's not active often, because why should he be? And yet you'll also see him walking around and being philosophical. He is always screwing with someone, somewhere, at some time. You could not easily see Luthor doing this to Superman even if his ID were known. Nor Joker with Batman. Kingpin MIGHT with Daredevil.

I'm always reminded of the time Anarky of all people went to Apokalips, and Darkseid...gives him the time of day. Given the reason(Anarky wants to hear 'the nature of evil' and decides to go right to the top-there's also another reason that doesn't get revealed till later.) I both can and can't fault him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is the other reason the fact that Anarky's creator is completely in love with his own character and would never have him be dismissed out of hand?