Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Does anyone know if it's possible to make custom parks with water in them? I really want some ponds.

Also, has anyone seen any railroad stuff on the workshop? It took me like an hour to set up neat curves for this:

and then I realized that I was going to have to do it again if I place another train station, because I didn't do it in the asset editor.

I realize trains will sort of magically reverse themselves, but it looks really stupid.

Also also, has anyone figured out how you can edit harbors without breaking the poo poo out of them? I tried to make one with a one-way road (or no road) attached instead of the two way one they have right now, but when I tried to place it in-game it wouldn't connect up to the sea-lanes.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Wallet posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to make custom parks with water in them? I really want some ponds.

Only if you can poop dam the parks

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Wallet posted:

I realize trains will sort of magically reverse themselves, but it looks really stupid.

It's not magic. It's a Push-pull train.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Graphics on Skylines 2 looking good already:

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

vyelkin posted:

I don't know what they thought was going to happen in the first place. But still. How do you gently caress up that badly :psyduck:

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Wallet posted:

and then I realized that I was going to have to do it again if I place another train station, because I didn't do it in the asset editor.

I agree that's it's not as ~sweet looking~ but it's good for those of us building city Spurs on cramped archipelagos.

Also gently caress the height restrictions. Really having to game the system in order to build these loving bridges.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Question- when building a new district early on, do you guys usually "start" from an adjacent district/road set and keep expanding outward, or do you kind of find a center to the new district separate from everything else, expand outward and then connect back to the other districts?

I'm still slowly futzing through my first city and I've been doing the former, and noticing it tends to mean my subsequent districts end up way smaller than my first ones. I'm pretty sure it's just an aesthetic preference, but just wondering if people have any strong thoughts on this...

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

vyelkin posted:

mods plz ban for content poaching my city

tia

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

vyelkin posted:

why i don't have a single bus route in my city: exhibit A

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Installed this on my retina macbook pro and the resolution choices are ridiculous. Default is 640x480 and the highest option is 1440 by 900, but if I switch to that one the graphics turn green and glitch out. Am I missing something here?

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

Bold Robot posted:

Installed this on my retina macbook pro and the resolution choices are ridiculous. Default is 640x480 and the highest option is 1440 by 900, but if I switch to that one the graphics turn green and glitch out. Am I missing something here?

I've heard disabling Steam overlay fixes that.
e: You're probably stuck with 1440x900, I don't think the engine supports HiDPI.

Also 1.0.6 patch is good.

1.0.6 patch notes posted:

nerfed parks decreasing commercial demand
road upgrade tool now works between two-way and one-way roads and right mouse-button changes direction of one-way roads

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

disable the steam overlay, apparently the Mac version has issues with that

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Has anyone noticed an increase in commercial demand after the patch? If so, how much?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So what does "nerfed parks decreasing commercial demand" mean exactly? Is this why my industry (pre-patch) is having problems finding commercial spots to ship products to (on account of commercial demand being zero so nothing ever gets built)?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Mantis posted:

cramped archipelagos

That's gonna be next week's city for me. Once I've had my fill of Not Vegas in Chewbot's desert, I'm gonna go looking for a good map of of small-medium islands to chain together with trains and poo poo.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So what does "nerfed parks decreasing commercial demand" mean exactly? Is this why my industry (pre-patch) is having problems finding commercial spots to ship products to (on account of commercial demand being zero so nothing ever gets built)?

Yes it was that. Parks filled Commercial demand for some reason, which meant Commercial Zones were barely needed if you had a lot of parks and thus Industry was barely needed because a lot of Industry (Or Imports) are needed to fuel a Commercial District

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Parks weaken the capitalist soul.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

You know, that explains a lot. The game really encourages you to spam parks all over the place to get land value up, and the drop-off in commercial zone demands coincides with when my income got good enough to sustain just making GBS threads out parks everywhere without caring about budget.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Fans posted:

Yes it was that. Parks filled Commercial demand for some reason, which meant Commercial Zones were barely needed if you had a lot of parks and thus Industry was barely needed because a lot of Industry (Or Imports) are needed to fuel a Commercial District

Yes, it was very odd. You could build max density residential forever and offices, no one had jobs really.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Also the super tiny one square park is an OP magic bullet that I use in place of thoughtful design

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I found the best way to play htis game was to just run it on max speed and react to stuff as it happens without ever pausing. You make so much money just faffing about you always have tons of cash to throw around and expand.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Sylink posted:

Yes, it was very odd. You could build max density residential forever and offices, no one had jobs really.

Well the threat of Full Communism has been quashed once again.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I found the best way to play htis game was to just run it on max speed and react to stuff as it happens without ever pausing. You make so much money just faffing about you always have tons of cash to throw around and expand.

I mostly do this, as well. The only time I pause the game is when I have to demolish and re-build a major part of infrastructure, like my entire primary industrial park last night. I probably lost like 15 grand between unpausing and waiting for all the factories to rebuild just from the sudden drop in tax revenue.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

vyelkin posted:

I'm now wanting high-res textures for city skylines

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I accidentally cut a power line as I upgraded an intersection. It was only a short time but at full times speed I managed to lose 50k pop in a flash. Huge swarths of city have de-spawned and emptied out.

Not a big deal though right, just connect it up and everyone will move back in. OH GOD THE IMMIGRATION WAVE. It peaked out at +2000 people but has sunk down to +200 people as it has blocked up my entire highway and road network with immigrants moving back in. My normally indominatable highways and interchanges have traffic jams all the way back to the past the external connections and are only letting in +200. It's also the first thing I've noticed that's started to lag a bit. Anyway, waiting out the remaining 30k or so immigrants and hoping my city doesn't burn down in the meantime.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Shanakin posted:

OH GOD THE IMMIGRATION WAVE.

Now I'm getting horrible flash backs to Dwarf Fortress. :iit:

Games not complete until I can drown my city in a fiery lava flood.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Shanakin posted:

I accidentally cut a power line as I upgraded an intersection. It was only a short time but at full times speed I managed to lose 50k pop in a flash. Huge swarths of city have de-spawned and emptied out.

Not a big deal though right, just connect it up and everyone will move back in. OH GOD THE IMMIGRATION WAVE. It peaked out at +2000 people but has sunk down to +200 people as it has blocked up my entire highway and road network with immigrants moving back in. My normally indominatable highways and interchanges have traffic jams all the way back to the past the external connections and are only letting in +200. It's also the first thing I've noticed that's started to lag a bit. Anyway, waiting out the remaining 30k or so immigrants and hoping my city doesn't burn down in the meantime.
Just wait until they all die at once too :getin:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ZenVulgarity posted:

It is pretty owny and I had no idea you can even do land reclamation on such a scale

You can reclaim even more.

Or, if you're crazy, even more than that.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pollyzoid posted:

Also 1.0.6 patch is good.

Holy poo poo, I skimmed over the one-way road upgrade tool stuff. They really are listening to the community and moving stuff that arguably shouldn't have to be a mod into the game.

I'm so confused, game developers in 2015 don't do things like this.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

bitcoin bastard posted:

Holy poo poo, I skimmed over the one-way road upgrade tool stuff. They really are listening to the community and moving stuff that arguably shouldn't have to be a mod into the game.

I'm so confused, game developers in 2015 don't do things like this.

Paradox are good publishers.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Paradox/CO: Ship the 4-lane 1-way roads. Please continue being awesome.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It seems that this thread has magical abilities where someone says "there should be a mod for X" and then someone replies with "there is! *link*" or a few days later it exists.

So, thread, I think there should be a mod to hide layers of road/rail/path. It's really annoying to have to bulldoze a highway because I'm trying to snake a road under it between the pillars and I can't get a working route because of road snap and for highways of pillars buried in the mix.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not sure if this has been posted.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I saw an article recently where they commented on piracy and their strategy for fighting it. tl;dr, frequent updates and mod support so people actually have a reason (you know, other than the obvious) to get the Steam version because pirate groups never keep up with that poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ZenVulgarity posted:

I need a number system or no buy

9/11 it's okay

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Anyone have any idea why the monument won't progress?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Something that is really screwing me up is pollution, particularly through the water lines.

I get that I don't need to run water lines through polluted areas, and for the most part that takes care of a lot of my problems. But then I just have lines be polluted and I can't figure out why.

Like one is just some random stretch that isn't anywhere near other pollution. The other became polluted when I hooked into a new sewage pump, which doesn't make any sense to me because it's not like they are getting their water from it.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
You can run pipe through poluted areas, you just can't collect from it. This includes putting water towers in poluted areas.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

program666 posted:

I'm now wanting high-res textures for city skylines

I'd settle for more AA options. My framerate dumps to like 24 when I use that Dynamic Resolution mod, but man this game has the potential to be real pretty when it wants to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

simosimo posted:

Yeah I see the upside, esp with repeating parts. So on a single texture, does it matter how big things are or where they are placed? Lets say a 1024x1024 texture has every part of a basic house, a large space for the wall because we want that information to not be blurred and a small spot for the doors and windows, and even smaller areas for misc stuff like pipes and guttering.

Am I right in assuming that all you are doing is creating points on this flat texture with everything on, and these points/coordinates are reflected on the model. So 'rectangle one', which is 25px by 200px lets say, this rectangle will be a part of guttering. I then select the face of the shape in the 3D view and then this 'rectangle one' selected area appears on the face.
It only matters insofar as the texture resolution on the final product, as you say. You're free to scale things up or down on the UV map depending on how much detail you need on them.