Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've been seeing way too many hellaflush cars putting around. i'm not even putting my summers on until some of the unavoidable potholes are filled. I can't imagine how these guys aren't replacing rims/body pannels every other day.

Highway 11 has some frost heaves that perfectly match the harmonics of my truck suspension at 110 that eventually leads to it wanting to leave the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
speaking of potholes, does anyone have any experience in patching potholes?

My condo board did a lovely, half-assed job last year on our parking lot:

and now that the freeze/thaw cycle is in full effect, the ground under my parking spot has gotten really soft and I'm going to be dealing with a pothole for sure within a month. I'm really tempted to just buy some cold asphalt and patch it once the weather is stable

blk
Dec 19, 2009

poo poo, sorry for the original big - was posting from the mobile future where things scale.

blk fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 16, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Noice.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.
http://www.chumpcarcanada.com/events.php

Chumpcar is coming to Alberta. Aug 1/2 24 hour race at Castrol Raceway!

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
That's awesome!

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
How much should I worry about metal particles in my oil. Not talking a huge amount but enough to be visible when examining a magnet.

158K KM on a 2011 6.2L Chev

Oils changed every 5K KM - 7K KM as schedule allows and this is the first I'm seeing of any sort of particulate.

I'm thinking of selling it and trading up but I have no loving idea what the thing is worth. Let alone what its worth now with the poo poo in the oil.

edit: and its not like anyones buying any trucks right now with jobs vanishing gently caress

Amos Moses fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 17, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Amos Moses posted:

How much should I worry about metal particles in my oil. Not talking a huge amount but enough to be visible when examining a magnet.

158K KM on a 2011 6.2L Chev

Oils changed every 5K KM - 7K KM as schedule allows and this is the first I'm seeing of any sort of particulate.

I'm thinking of selling it and trading up but I have no loving idea what the thing is worth. Let alone what its worth now with the poo poo in the oil.

edit: and its not like anyones buying any trucks right now with jobs vanishing gently caress

I'd be a little concerned assuming its engine oil, how much are we talking though? I've never had a car with a magnetic drain plug so I don't know how common that is. I think there is a couple of places in calgary that will do an oil analysis if you're really concerned.

My struts arrived today :3:

They threw a tiny little piece of cement in there as some sort of sick joke though

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 17, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Amos Moses posted:

Change the oil and sell it immediately. It's what a dealership would do to you.

Metro-Tech, by the airport, does a pretty decent cheap oil analysis. Lots of my friends have used them though I haven't. $2.50 per sample bottle, $22 per analysis. AGAT in the same general area will do the same.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

1500quidporsche posted:

I'd be a little concerned assuming its engine oil, how much are we talking though? I've never had a car with a magnetic drain plug so I don't know how common that is. I think there is a couple of places in calgary that will do an oil analysis if you're really concerned.

I should have snapped a picture. You'd actually have to be looking for it to notice it. It's just a very :argh: thing.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Change the oil and sell it immediately. It's what a dealership would do to you.

That's pretty evil. I don't think I could do that unless I was selling it to some rear end in a top hat from Ontario.

I'm stuck on the fence here. Trading up feels like giving up a kidney here. It's a loving awesome truck. Seeing metal in the oil feels like finding blood your piss though. :saddowns:
I got under in this weekend to take a poke around and see if anything else was hosed up before I make a decision on booking it in to find out whats going on and everything else is in great shape.

I'll tool around in it this week and then check the oil again. Will oil analysis tell me anything about what could possibly be breaking?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Send an oil sample to Blackstone. Those guys are super-nerdy about motor oil, they'll tell you what's what.

Have you been changing the oil, or having somebody do it? Are you 100% sure you've gotten a new oil filter every time?

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

ExecuDork posted:

Send an oil sample to Blackstone. Those guys are super-nerdy about motor oil, they'll tell you what's what.

Have you been changing the oil, or having somebody do it? Are you 100% sure you've gotten a new oil filter every time?

I book it in for service. Not 100% I've been getting a new filter no but I trust the shop as they've never tried to upsell me or offered me poo poo I didn't need. I'll service any of my other vehicles myself but not this truck.

I assume they can figure out what kind of metal it is then figure out whats shedding it from there yeah? I'll send them a sample.

Looks like I'm still covered under the 160K/5yr powertrain thank gently caress I didn't get it messed with in Edmonton like I was planning on.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Amos Moses posted:

I assume they can figure out what kind of metal it is then figure out whats shedding it from there yeah? I'll send them a sample.

Blackstone provides a super-detailed report. They break it down by elements - how much silicon, nickel, aluminum, lead, etc. - about half the periodic table shows up on their analysis. They will tell you more than you wanted to know about those bits of metal.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I just got elected mayor of my small town.

loving kill me now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Haha, which town?

Regarding oil analysis, I am a big fan of it but to be effectively used you really need to trend it.

A one-off sample will only really tell you something if you are close to major failure.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

loving kill me now.

So what you're saying is that we need an Official Vehicle.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

loving kill me now.

Seriously? (about the election, not the murder)

How small is small?

EDIT: Is this some St. Pat's day Mayor-For-A-Day thing?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

loving kill me now.

Hahahahahaha

Congratulations! Enjoy your next few years of misery.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

loving kill me now.

Haha, enjoy the responsibility, sucker.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

loving kill me now.

You like smith arts and cooking things.
First decree shall be to rename the town to Mordor, and start giving out rings.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
Is it a requirement for newfies to own 300's with faux-bentley kits?

I was able to spot three today.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Amos Moses posted:

Only 3? Try living near forest lawn. I couldn't even tell you what the original 300 grille actually looks like anymore.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So it turns out we should be putting local metal workers to work instead of contacting bridges to Korea who further subcontracts to China.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch/story.html?id=10893892

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Amos Moses posted:

Hey, don't be a bigot

Meth dealers from small town Alberta drive those too

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Very small town. Dalroy. There's maybe 20 houses here.

It's not really a mayoralty office, it's more like chairman of the board for a non-profit society.

I am totally going to call myself mayor though.

One of my neighbours nominated me and the board voted and ratified it. So I'm it until the next annual general meeting next year though. gently caress.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's awesome and hilarious. I've driven past Dalroy - it's just off Highway 9 and I've gone up and down that road more than once - but never noticed it before. Get business cards made up, put a still version (or, better, a holograph that switches back and forth as you tilt the card) of your avatar on them, go hog wild!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

One of my neighbours nominated me and the board voted and ratified it. So I'm it until the next annual general meeting next year though. gently caress.
Haha, nominations are the worst. It's the kind of like the "step forward to volunteer" and everyone steps back at the same time.

Sounds like it shouldn't be that bad though. At least get a sash to wear.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Hypothetically speaking, Mr. Mayor, if the rest of us AB goons formed a construction company, would you be able to use your influence to secure us some sweet, no-bid contracts?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Haha, nominations are the worst. It's the kind of like the "step forward to volunteer" and everyone steps back at the same time.

Sounds like it shouldn't be that bad though. At least get a sash to wear.

They railroaded me into being the men's club president a few months back too. I even tried the "ONETWOTHREE, NOT IT" nomination route when we were picking a new pres. Didn't work.

That job's pretty easy though, keep the bar stocked, run some parties and such.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MrChips posted:

Hypothetically speaking, Mr. Mayor, if the rest of us AB goons formed a construction company, would you be able to use your influence to secure us some sweet, no-bid contracts?

Nah man, Dalroy needs a police force so we can all drive interceptors.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 18, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Tommychu posted:

Nah man, Dalroy needs a police force so we can all drive interceptors.

Hire me to man the speed trap that catches people going under the limit

UnFriendly Fire
Jun 19, 2003
not friendly

Powershift posted:

So it turns out we should be putting local metal workers to work instead of contacting bridges to Korea who further subcontracts to China.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch/story.html?id=10893892

I can't wait to hear how terrible the steel they're using is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's the Supreme Group's steel and they provided the girders for a lot of other bridges in Edmonton, including the Henday. If they've been cutting corners on quality, I have no words.

I think it's probably just inept craftsmanship like the Calgary pedestrian bridge that ended up not fitting on its pillars.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Metal in oil isn't as bad as you'd think. Provided it isn't copper. Although modern bearings might not even have copper cores.

Basically some metal dusting and particles is pretty common. Its metal chunks that are worry some.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Of course the guy I ordered the $500 springs for my suspension from had to ship from the US by UPS.

better get lubed up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

Metal in oil isn't as bad as you'd think. Provided it isn't copper. Although modern bearings might not even have copper cores.

Basically some metal dusting and particles is pretty common. Its metal chunks that are worry some.

That really depends but that is why trending is what you need to do for effective oil analysis short of imminent failure.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Went out for a run today and saw 2 different Tesla Model Ss within the span of an hour this afternoon

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think it's probably just inept craftsmanship like the Calgary pedestrian bridge that ended up not fitting on its pillars.

They've got that sitting on the pillars finally, though I don't know how they fixed it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Phy posted:

They've got that sitting on the pillars finally, though I don't know how they fixed it.

They cut the connecting ribs out of the bottom, moved them until they matched with where the pillars actually were, and then rewelded them and put the bridge back up.

Wonder what kind of review they did with the ribs in the new location, I'm sure it's fine but they turned that around awful fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

neckbeard posted:

Went out for a run today and saw 2 different Tesla Model Ss within the span of an hour this afternoon

My boss just took delivery of his P85D and has been taking everyone for rides. Holy Shitnacks, it is fast. The 1st thing he did upon getting in was put it in insane mode and says it's staying in that mode forever. Riding in that thing has now single handily destroyed sports cars for me.