Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Jesus. Why is it always the same four or five DnD posters who come into a thread and get snippy as gently caress instead of conversing like adults.

Guavanaut posted:

Does design intent really matter?

Javelins were designed to kill people. Stick dynamite was designed to blast tunnels and coal faces. Someone is going to a public area to kill as many people as possible, which would you be more worried about them having?

I'd say that design does matter, though. In your dynamite example, it's heavily regulated who has access and for what reason. I can't just walk over to the dynamite store and buy some because it's purpose is to blow up poo poo.

In fact, I'd say dynamite is a great example of how serious we need to be in terms of regulations on weaponry.

Edit: it's already been said. Ignore this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

CoasterMaster posted:

From TopRightNews via Facebook:

I have seen variations of this joke where it's an officer and a sergeant, or a physicist and an engineer.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

CoasterMaster posted:

From TopRightNews via Facebook:

How come right wing comedy never has a punchline?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Verisimilidude posted:

The difference between left and right wing comedy like Robin Williams and newer Dennis Miller (I liked his older stuff on HBO.)

Cliches vs stereotypes

Laughing with vs laughing at.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

I'd say that design does matter, though. In your dynamite example, it's heavily regulated who has access and for what reason. I can't just walk over to the dynamite store and buy some because it's purpose is to blow up poo poo.

In fact, I'd say dynamite is a great example of how serious we need to be in terms of regulations on weaponry.
You're agreeing that design doesn't matter then, it's danger.

Stick explosives were not designed to kill people. Stick explosives can kill people though, in bulk, so we regulate them.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

The punchline is "these are sheep." The problem is jesus christ look how many loving words there are between "A cowboy named Bud..." and "This is a herd of sheep." Look at the dude's description: "A young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, Rayban sunglasses and YSL tie." That's not funny. Who gives a gently caress. Who cares. This could be a funny joke. If instead of the whole "sick burn" circa whenever the gently caress I was in grade school, it just jumped from the 150 page report to "that's great senator, but these are sheep" it'd be better. I mean, it's basically that Ron White skit about having his juvenile record being transmitted through Morse code and satellites, but no, gotta compromise the joke so people know just how much you hate those stupid RayBan wearing mother fuckers.

Those young congressmen and their loving sunglasses!

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Guavanaut posted:

Stick explosives were not designed to kill people. Stick explosives can kill people though, in bulk, so we regulate them.

That's a good point. I concede. The day is yours.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rick_Hunter posted:

I'm not so sure about that. There are plenty of 'Stephens' in the world that would gladly throw another black person or their race under the bus just for betterment in their lives. This usually manifests itself in the attitude of 'if I did it, it must mean others are lazy'.

And not connected to that, you still have to be careful about even using your own racial slurs and to not demonize your own race. Look at Chris Rock - he had that bit back in the late 90s about 'Black People vs Niggas', an act that he's never done again. He's still reaping the benefits of that and by benefits I mean the entirety of white America who thinks it's still a good idea to have good blacks and bad blacks.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/gun-show-vendor-defends-running-nr-targets-there-are-black-people-then-there-are-negroes/

Rock stopped doing that bit because white people thought it gave them carte blanche to start using the n-word against people they thought it appropriate.

Defenestration posted:

Funny how when Ta nehisi Coates says we need reparations in a long essay for the Atlantic everyone up in DnD rushes to slob his nob, but when a black woman says it with swear words in playboy, ooooo, tone argument.

Try listening to what minorities and women have to say no matter where they say it.

Most people seem to have an issue because she's gay-male-bashing on the regular, not because it's a black woman saying it.

Reparations are awesome and if she's for them, awesome. Not telling gay men how to use their word would be super nice though.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

Rock stopped doing that bit because white people thought it gave them carte blanche to start using the n-word against people they thought it appropriate.

Didn't Dave Chappelle basically have a breakdown and stop doing comedy for a while for a similar reason?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying when I wrote good blacks and bad blacks. Didn't want to have to type 'friend of the family' too much in one post.

And in hindsight, I misread what Who What Now said about blacks using 'friend of the family' in a derogatory manner. I thought he was saying to give blacks saying 'friend of the family' a pass but I was the confused by the 'not be inappropriate' part. I brought up Chris Rock for nothing.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Where is the 'Obama paid to try to have Netenyahu defeated' talking point coming from? I've seen this line of talk several times in the comments sections for news articles and now some political cartoons are popping up with it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zeroprime posted:

Where is the 'Obama paid to try to have Netenyahu defeated' talking point coming from? I've seen this line of talk several times in the comments sections for news articles and now some political cartoons are popping up with it.

this is just the manifestation of the common wingnut belief that if your opinions conflict with reality, then reality must be wrong

obama can't be popular, he stole the election etc.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Yeah, but there were people literally saying that the Obama administration was funneling money into Israel to have Bibi defeated. There has to be a wellspring of poo poo that this can be traced back to.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this is just the manifestation of the common wingnut belief that if your opinions conflict with reality, then reality must be wrong

obama can't be popular, he stole the election etc.

I thought some minor amount of state money went over there or something which is where this is all coming from.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zeroprime posted:

Yeah, but there were people literally saying that the Obama administration was funneling money into Israel to have Bibi defeated. There has to be a wellspring of poo poo that this can be traced back to.

Some guy who helped run campaigns for Obama was hired by the opposition party in Israel.

That is as far as the rabbit hole goes.

And that's far enough as far as they are concerned.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zeroprime posted:

probably nothing substantial, you know how partisans love to take a couple little bits of factual information and extrapolate grand conspiracies

the state department apparently gave some money to these people

http://onevoicemovement.org/programs/onevoice-international.php

who are either just a normal pro-two state peacenik group OR A HORRIBLE MUSLIM CONSPIRACY TO SLAUGHTER THE JEWS????

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rick_Hunter posted:

The difference between left and right wing comedy like Robin Williams and newer Dennis Miller (I liked his older stuff on HBO.)

Cliches vs stereotypes

Laughing with vs laughing at.

To use a newer example: Aziz Ansari vs. Daniel Tosh.

Speaking of Aziz, his new standup is probably the only pro-feminist standup I've ever seen in my life from a male comedian.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

Most people seem to have an issue because she's gay-male-bashing on the regular, not because it's a black woman saying it.

Reparations are awesome and if she's for them, awesome. Not telling gay men how to use their word would be super nice though.

Off-topic, but I'm not familiar with the pro-reparations arguments, do you know where I can find them?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gygaxian posted:

Off-topic, but I'm not familiar with the pro-reparations arguments, do you know where I can find them?

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

super short version reparations aren't just for slavery but for systemic economic disenfranchisement of minorities, specifically african americans, which continue to exist even today in one form or another

for a modern example look at the DOJ report on ferguson MO - the police there treated criminal infractions as revenue generation and did everything they could to slap people with tickets, fines, fees, etc. things like this are easy to get away with because so many middle class white people think "well I'VE never been ticketed unjustly, surely these people must have done something to deserve it"

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 19, 2015

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Actually I'm curious, how much of AIPAC's funding for US political campaigns is actually Israeli in origin?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

No, design matters for that particular argument which aims to compare guns to other tools, but not for arguments about regulation, which are about safety. Really the only reason design even comes up and the argument isn't solely about danger is because of disingenuous bull poo poo from gun nuts trying to make it about design.

E: But honestly, gun arguments are pointless as long as the Second Amendment exists (so forever). If dynamite was mentioned in the Constitution you'd have idiots insisting that they needed to have access to that too and you can't really argue with it beyond trying to speculate on the motives of people who have been dead for 200+ years and made it an era of primitive weaponry where they couldn't have possibly predicted modern weaponry so eh. My personal interpretation is that the Amendment as worded is intended to and should allow for a private citizen military force on par with the actual federal military so I think it should allow private citizens to own jets and tanks and stuff. I mean if we're actually using its intent and not just as a free pass to have 30 guns buried in my backyard.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 19, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Gygaxian posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

super short version reparations aren't just for slavery but for systemic economic disenfranchisement of minorities, specifically african americans, which continue to exist even today in one form or another

Just want to add that simply giving blacks a check is a racist creation intended to get white people mad about the idea of reparations, what they really need to be is concentrated spending and programs to fix the results of hundreds of years of oppression, as PTD says.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Hulk Krogan posted:

Didn't Dave Chappelle basically have a breakdown and stop doing comedy for a while for a similar reason?

Yep. And then the media treated him like he was nuts.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah a blank check that says "sorry about slavery" int he comments is a false narrative meant to rile up people who are already riled up about the welfare queen myth

what we need is concentrated spending in poor areas (of all races! :ssh:) that focus on normalizing educational, financial, employment, healthcare etc. so on so on, basically we just need to fund poor neighborhoods like we fund middle class neighborhoods because american society is riddled with poverty traps (that affect all races! :ssh:) which make it extremely difficult to ever not be poor

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Hulk Krogan posted:

Zeitgueist posted:

Yep. And then the media treated him like he was nuts.

And when Key & Peele inevitably do, we will watch it happen again.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

And when Key & Peele inevitably do, we will watch it happen again.

Key and Peele seem knowledgable enough to know what kind of comedy they perform. When they leave it's going to be because Comedy Central wants them to make a minstrel show or they think their act has been on long enough.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Doctor Butts posted:

Some guy who helped run campaigns for Obama was hired by the opposition party in Israel.

That is as far as the rabbit hole goes.

And that's far enough as far as they are concerned.

Netanyahu also straight up said that the opposition was busing in Arabs to the polling places to steal the vote away from the Israelis, which a lot of the far-right also made a mental connection to "busing in illegal immigrants to polling places" in the 2012 elections and so assumed that Obama must be behind it because "he's using the same tactics he used in the US."

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

yeah a blank check that says "sorry about slavery" int he comments is a false narrative meant to rile up people who are already riled up about the welfare queen myth

what we need is concentrated spending in poor areas (of all races! :ssh:) that focus on normalizing educational, financial, employment, healthcare etc. so on so on, basically we just need to fund poor neighborhoods like we fund middle class neighborhoods because american society is riddled with poverty traps (that affect all races! :ssh:) which make it extremely difficult to ever not be poor

The thing with Azalia Banks is...she really doesn't truly need it like the aforementioned lower class. She's been able to be successful and obviously (I would imagine) has some form of income. The point becomes really, truly invalid. She has access to healthcare, education and a few other things that the aforementioned lower class (regardless of race) has.

For her to go "gently caress YOU, PAY ME", is absurd. Especially when the majority of people reading this will never make the type of money she's (potentially) going to be making during her career.

There is indeed hosed up lack of privilege for those who are non-Caucasian, non-Male, and non-straight within this country. This is not a debate, and this is what society has to find ways to improve and change.

I'd feel sincerely good about things (or paying more in taxes, whatever) if it were going towards helping out lower class communities and individuals have the ability to do things like have adequate healthcare, education and the access to start businesses. I wouldn't feel good just sending a check in the mail to Azalia Banks when she already has created the opportunities that many do not have for herself.

TL;DR. Hell Yes for Reparations and Helping the Poor (including minorities). Hell No for giving it to Azalia Banks.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FuzzySkinner posted:

For her to go "gently caress YOU, PAY ME", is absurd. Especially when the majority of people reading this will never make the type of money she's (potentially) going to be making during her career.

well then she won't benefit all that much from ereparations anyway, so win win!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Hulk Krogan posted:

Dave Chappelle has also said that a coalition of Black entertainers like Oprah and Denzel Washington threatened him because of his racial humor. They were called the Black Illuminati

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

Dave Chappelle has also said that a coalition of Black entertainers like Oprah and Denzel Washington threatened him because of his racial humor. They were called the Black Illuminati

A guy that claimed to be a retired PR executive said he said that, and he's the only one to have ever said anything about it; there's no real evidence that Chappelle ever actually made those claims. The guy that came up with this was almost definitely a crazy conspiracy nut making stuff up about Chappelle.

And the name was "Dark Crusaders". :colbert:

Idran fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 20, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fame is a difficult thing.

Dave Chappelle talked about being at Disneyland with his family and people keep running up screaming 'I'm Rick James Bitch!'

That plus the racial element of it probably motivated Chapelle to leave TV.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Idran posted:

A guy that claimed to be a retired PR executive said he said that, and he's the only one to have ever said anything about it; there's no real evidence that Chappelle ever actually made those claims. The guy that came up with this was almost definitely a crazy conspiracy nut making stuff up about Chappelle.

And the name was "Dark Crusaders". :colbert:

O wow I thought Chapelle himself was the one who talked about the Dark Crusaders. I learned something today.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Wait that was more than just a 30 rock joke?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

The thing with Azalia Banks is...she really doesn't truly need it like the aforementioned lower class. She's been able to be successful and obviously (I would imagine) has some form of income. The point becomes really, truly invalid. She has access to healthcare, education and a few other things that the aforementioned lower class (regardless of race) has.

TL;DR. Hell Yes for Reparations and Helping the Poor (including minorities). Hell No for giving it to Azalia Banks.

Azealia Banks is not actually a bank, so she definitely pays more in taxes than she would ever receive under any kind of reparations scheme anyway, including the Republican fever-dream version of endless checks to black people forever.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think that it'd be okay for Oprah to take a huge hit in the form of taxes to pay for reparations as long as every other billionaire took the same sort of hit.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

this is overheard rather than forwarded but did yall know that the United States faces more direct external threats than at any time in our history, yet our military is weaker than at any point since the war of 1812

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Wait that was more than just a 30 rock joke?

Yeah, that episode was specifically a parody of this weird conspiracy theory this guy invented around Chappelle. There's a good summary of the whole thing here; the guy's original pages seem to be missing from the internet nowadays, but you can see the original version here. It includes stuff like Oprah using her influence to send a special broadcast of her show directly to just Chappelle's TV where she addresses him directly and tells him to stop making his show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Idran posted:

Yeah, that episode was specifically a parody of this weird conspiracy theory this guy invented around Chappelle. There's a good summary of the whole thing here; the guy's original pages seem to be missing from the internet nowadays, but you can see the original version here. It includes stuff like Oprah using her influence to send a special broadcast of her show directly to just Chappelle's TV where she addresses him directly and tells him to stop making his show.

Oh wow :stare: that is amazing.