Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

Enabling, sure. "absolute crown authority" enables "imperial law", but it does not makes it automatically approved, you have to select and get it approved.

The same goes for every other law that enables something, it does not usually makes it checked.

This is the exception. If you adopt imperial administration, you will automatically enact duchy viceroyalties.

The other thing is a bug. You should have given out the duchies as viceroyalties, and upon the death of their holders they should have returned to you. That should clear out the bug and enable you to grant them normally. Or you can try to destroy the titles and recreate them, though that's admittedly not a very pleasant workaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

The other thing is a bug. You should have given out the duchies as viceroyalties, and upon the death of their holders they should have returned to you. That should clear out the bug and enable you to grant them normally. Or you can try to destroy the titles and recreate them, though that's admittedly not a very pleasant workaround.

Guess Ill just use the console then.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Is there one standout DLC or is it a matter of preference? I'm tempted by both Way of Life and The Old Gods.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Walton Simons posted:

Is there one standout DLC or is it a matter of preference? I'm tempted by both Way of Life and The Old Gods.

Those two are the best IMO, but if you mean to play Christian rulers I'd also suggest Sons of Abraham which fleshes out a lot of stuff for Christians, and be sure to grab Legacy of Rome to have retinues (a standing army you buy and stays around until totally destroyed, and costs money to reinforce when they take losses).

The rest depends on your preferences : wanna be Indian? Rajas of India. Wanna be a muslim? Sword of Islam. Wanna be filthy rich? The Republic.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Walton Simons posted:

Those are the two that basically everyone will tell you to get. Now that retinues aren't OP anymore, the rest are mostly a matter of preference that's dependent on what kind of rulers you want to play.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

These are the best DLCs, hands down. I would actually rate The Republic as better than Sons of Abraham or Legacy of Rome, just for how different Merchant Republics are.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dallan Invictus posted:

Those are the two that basically everyone will tell you to get. Now that retinues aren't OP anymore, the rest are mostly a matter of preference that's dependent on what kind of rulers you want to play.

Uh what did I miss? How were retinues nerfed? I noticed that they were smaller than I remembered, but they're still a standing army that you can bring to the enemy doorstep and declare war right? In the early game as a smallish ruler, that's insanely powerful.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TorakFade posted:

Uh what did I miss? How were retinues nerfed? I noticed that they were smaller than I remembered, but they're still a standing army that you can bring to the enemy doorstep and declare war right? In the early game as a smallish ruler, that's insanely powerful.

They are still good, but you can get a lot less men for your retinue points, meaning that you can't have retinues of the same size of your entire realm levies. And they cost a lot more upkeep, and even cost money to maintain if they are at full strength. They can still be very useful but they are simply no longer the overpowered "I-win" button that they were before.

Does anybody remember the good times when each retinue regiment created would also create a lowborn commander with martial education? You never lacked for people without dynasty to land, and you always had competent military commanders, especially if you had a large retinue.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Awesome, thanks. I think I will pick up Way of Life first as I really like that part of the game. I know there are Paradox sales pretty regularly but eh, six quid.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Torrannor posted:

They are still good, but you can get a lot less men for your retinue points, meaning that you can't have retinues of the same size of your entire realm levies. And they cost a lot more upkeep, and even cost money to maintain if they are at full strength.

Oh I see, well that's actually quite sensible. After a couple hundred years they became ridiculous. Didn't notice the cost at full strength, kind of a bummer but hey, you gotta be very rich to have a private army after all.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The steam workshop now lets you add required DLC for mods which is rather nice. However because of the sheer number of dlcs CK2 has it breaks the interface. It only has 10 spots and they are all randomly assigned and mixed with the gfx ones.

marktheando posted:

This is what the master race has been reduced to. Accusing people of being butthurt.

Technically it is 'a' not 'the'. The British were the role models.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tercio posted:

Is there an ETA on the next patch? I'd like to start an Asturias game but don't want to until the annoying anti-pope bug is fixed.

What's the anti-pope bug? I haven't noticed it in my current game, other than anti-popes being a bit more common than normal.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

fool_of_sound posted:

What's the anti-pope bug? I haven't noticed it in my current game, other than anti-popes being a bit more common than normal.

That's exactly what I noticed, they are more common than they used to be.

In my current game it was actually funny, the HRE created and anti-pope and sinked the catholic MA. Then a decade later they converted to orthodox.

Silent Banana
Aug 24, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

The Depose Antipope casus belli is bugged so that the antipope isn't deposed even if his side loses the war, meaning there's no way to be rid of him.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

evilmiera posted:

Also some of my holdings were still called tribes even after upgrading them to cities.
This part is fixable, you can click on a holding's (And a county's as well, I think) name field to rename it.

quote:

Several years later they seemed to reset to the correct name, but also reset every building to nonexistance, almost causing a faction meltdown when I suddenly lost 2k personal levies.

This part less so. :eek:

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Walton Simons posted:

Crusader Kings 2 is usually in every steam sale in some form or fashion. Usually everything but the two newest DLCs are on sale for 50% to 75% off. So if you can hold yourself off until the next one, you can pick up everything for pretty cheap.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I really kicked myself for not picking up Charlemagne when someone goofed and accidentally gave it a 75% discount for the first day or so of the sale

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Silent Banana posted:

The Depose Antipope casus belli is bugged so that the antipope isn't deposed even if his side loses the war, meaning there's no way to be rid of him.

Huh, wierd. The three that have shown up so far in my game have eventually gone away on their own. Dunno why.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Looks like the guy who does VIET events found a new obsession: pissing.

Oh don't get me wrong, he's still got the weird food events as well...

E: :stonklol:

code:
############################################
# Imouto Toothbrushing non-Incest Alternative (for religions following the incest-hating lies of Angra Mainyu)
############################################
NOT = { trait = chaste } #araragi isn't not a pervert
		NOT = { trait = homosexual } #no yaoi
		NOT = { has_character_flag = do_not_disturb }
		NOT = {	health_traits = 1 }
		has_lover = no
		#is_married = no
		any_sibling = {
			age = 14
			NOT = { age = 20 }
			is_female = yes
			NOT = { trait = homosexual }
			NOT = { trait = ugly }
			NOT = { trait = hunchback }
			NOT = { has_character_flag = do_not_disturb }

beefart fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 19, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

beefart posted:

Looks like the guy who does VIET events found a new obsession: pissing.

Oh don't get me wrong, he's still got the weird food events as well...

Just marvelous. I want to believe that he came up with powdered deer penis on his own, but apparently it's a minor reference to Oblivion. Given that there's already several references to Oblivion in VIET, it seems like a plausible explanation.

Also, I find that that guy has an obsession with these stupid "a minor thing happened, lose 1 prestige/gain 2 piety/whatever" events. They're all over the god drat place, and they really irritated me back when I was still using VIET. I presume it's even worse now, with many more minor events to complement the massive cock events and the toothbrushing events and the omelette events and god knows what the gently caress else. The only thing that ever positively surprised me about the VIET events is the Ultima event chain.

As a sidenote, Wikipedia has an article on deer penis. I never knew this, and I do now. I wish I didn't. Apparently, it's a thing in traditional Chinese medicine.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think Ive found a bug (maybe two): Ive raised my crown authority to "absolute" and then got "Imperial administration law" approved.

Then "duchy viceroyalties" become checked, which I never wanted or asked for. This part Im not sure if its a bug or a feature.

But then I usurped I couple of duchies from the Bizzantines after a holy war and I find that I cant give then away using "grant landed title" because the titles came as "Minor Viceroyalty" instead of regular duchies, so I can only give then as viceroyalties.

Then, since I wanted to give then as regular titles, Ive approved the "No viceroyalties" law. Now I just cant give the titles away and Im stuck with then, because they still wont show up in the "grant landed titles" list.

Honest question since I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to managing large empires, but why would you NOT want viceroys?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Deific Presence posted:

Honest question since I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to managing large empires, but why would you NOT want viceroys?

I dont need then, and I like to give titles (real ones).

I currently have around 15 vassal kings and the same amount of vassal dukes and its pretty easy to manage then like that.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Deific Presence posted:

rear end in a top hat relatives demanding a title while you're too busy stabbing someone who's really good at avoiding getting stabbed?

Edit:

Matri-married that super hunk 5th son of the king of italy to one of your lucky courtiers and, oh how terrible it seems that everyone before him in line to the throne tripped and fell on a snake while being ambushed by robbers in an exploding inn that exclusively serves poisoned wine? Better hope you landed him with those extra counties you had lying around.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 19, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Silent Banana posted:

In ironman there's no way. Otherwise use the console to give the antipope's bishopric to the pope, which will then end the anti-papacy, and then immediately grant it to the former antipope's top liege. (Likelier than not he will simply set up a new antipope, though.)

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

My plan for a turkish buddhist game just got a lot less exciting now that I know the difference between 'invasion' and 'horde' cultures.

How's the Zunist content? I never really considered it as the Zunbils proper, but conquering my way down there as tengri turks then converting through a concubine sounds like a much better time, especially if I get to keep Tribal Invasion.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

LaSalsaVerde posted:

My plan for a turkish buddhist game just got a lot less exciting now that I know the difference between 'invasion' and 'horde' cultures.

How's the Zunist content? I never really considered it as the Zunbils proper, but conquering my way down there as tengri turks then converting through a concubine sounds like a much better time, especially if I get to keep Tribal Invasion.

A pain in the rear end to reform because all you get are lovely single county conquests and you can't convert worth a drat. Other than that slight issue its actually pretty good I guess? Letting the Abassids repeatedly march their armies into your zunist provinces to die under glorious Lord Zuns fiery gaze before smashing whats left of them is pretty awesome. Good luck getting more zunist provinces though. That pagan penalty to conversion is pretty overkill.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Schizotek posted:

A pain in the rear end to reform because all you get are lovely single county conquests and you can't convert worth a drat. Other than that slight issue its actually pretty good I guess? Letting the Abassids repeatedly march their armies into your zunist provinces to die under glorious Lord Zuns fiery gaze before smashing whats left of them is pretty awesome. Good luck getting more zunist provinces though. That pagan penalty to conversion is pretty overkill.

He'd be coming in as a turk, so he'd have the tribal invasion CB. He could steamroll through India and probably reform the faith really quick.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

He'd be coming in as a turk, so he'd have the tribal invasion CB. He could steamroll through India and probably reform the faith really quick.

Does tribal invasion give religious authority? Because two of the holy sites are in Baghdad and Egypt.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Schizotek posted:

Does tribal invasion give religious authority? Because two of the holy sites are in Baghdad and Egypt.

No, but county conquests do, and the Zunists are surround by non-believers. Plus you could sack temples as an unreformed pagan.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

No, but county conquests do, and the Zunists are surround by non-believers. Plus you could sack temples as an unreformed pagan.

Zunists can't raid, so no temple looting. And the Unbelievers are the Abassids and Indian subcontinent religions. Most of them tied up in a small handful of large powerful kingdoms. You can do a pretty good business with those, but you're gonna need *20* individual county conquests in a relatively short span of time. My current game as them has gone about as well as possible and at one point I had 47 MA, but that was with three failed holy wars against me and gobbling up Khiva and Baluchistan when they broke from the Abassids. You pretty much *have* to conquer Baghdad which takes awhile even under ideal circumstances.

On the other hand you're allowed Ultimogeniture and have some wicked sick defensive bonuses so you're chances of eventually taking Baghdad if you don't gently caress up are pretty good.

I'm hoping thate rear end in a top hat Ayudha dies soon. Four kindom titles with gavelkind and a boatload of kids. Nomnomnom.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 20, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

lol if you dont just convert as the Abbasids. All the Zunist goodies, none of the hassle.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Excelzior posted:

lol if you dont just convert as the Abbasids. All the Zunist goodies, none of the hassle.

But that's basically just kinda cheating ya know? I've considered doing an Abbassid Saoshyant run, but I'm still convinced one day I will succeed in a Karen run.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Schizotek posted:

But that's basically just kinda cheating ya know? I've considered doing an Abbassid Saoshyant run, but I'm still convinced one day I will succeed in a Karen run.

keep at it, it took me a dozen attempts. One of which was going along swimmingly until Seljuk showed up :argh:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So even after hours of playing this game I'm still a complete noob and have a question. I'm playing as the Duke of Upper Lorraine, vassal to the Kaiser. The Kaiser just instituted medium crown authority, which means I can't have fun warring on other HRE vassals anymore, so instead I fabricated a claim on a neighboring county over the border in France. Is there any way I can press this claim and get the Kaiser to help out, since it'll add to his land as well? And if the Kaiser decides to go to war with France for some other reason (he seems to like doing this), can I declare my own war on France as well while they're preoccupied, or is that not allowed? Is that even a good idea if I can do it?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So even after hours of playing this game I'm still a complete noob and have a question. I'm playing as the Duke of Upper Lorraine, vassal to the Kaiser. The Kaiser just instituted medium crown authority, which means I can't have fun warring on other HRE vassals anymore, so instead I fabricated a claim on a neighboring county over the border in France. Is there any way I can press this claim and get the Kaiser to help out, since it'll add to his land as well? And if the Kaiser decides to go to war with France for some other reason (he seems to like doing this), can I declare my own war on France as well while they're preoccupied, or is that not allowed? Is that even a good idea if I can do it?

Basically, the way it works is like this - these are the ways you're getting that land:

1) The Kaiser declares war on France over your claim. If he wins, you get the land.
2) You declare war on France yourself. If you win, you get the land.

1) is of course the optimal solution, as you don't need to do poo poo, but you can raise your levies to help out if you want to anyway. Alternatively, if the Kaiser goes to war with France for some other reason, you can declare your own separate war over the land in question and take it - if you can win the war. If the Kaiser smashes up France's levies, this is simple, and is in fact a very good idea. But if he assault-spams his way through the war and leaves most of the levies alive, tread carefully.

Always remember to check the levies your opponent has.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

LaSalsaVerde posted:

Their inability to raid loving shatters them. It is, no joke, way loving easier to reform them as tribals just because you can raid, which is so rear end backwards that I don't even know. Except that your tribal vassals never drat well raid for some baffling reason so if you want to get them to do it you have to console over to them while the computer fucks around with your main country, giving counties to idiots and cutting of its own head.

loving Egypt? Really? Like Baghdad isn't bad enough?? Put it in the Steppes or further into India, Egypt is just a bad joke about Horus. And getting a bonus to heavy infantry when their cultural retinue is horsemen?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Their inability to raid loving shatters them. It is, no joke, way loving easier to reform them as tribals just because you can raid, which is so rear end backwards that I don't even know. Except that your tribal vassals never drat well raid for some baffling reason so if you want to get them to do it you have to console over to them while the computer fucks around with your main country, giving counties to idiots and cutting of its own head.

loving Egypt? Really? Like Baghdad isn't bad enough?? Put it in the Steppes or further into India, Egypt is just a bad joke about Horus. And getting a bonus to heavy infantry when their cultural retinue is horsemen?

Since they're feudal that heavy infantry bonus is crazy good. I hold roughly three kingdoms worth of territory and can build a whopping three horse retinues. Whoopy dippy doo. But when I bring 10000 troops down on the Caliphs dick like a sledgehammer, that heavy infantry bonus is loving amazing.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Except that your tribal vassals never drat well raid for some baffling reason so if you want to get them to do it you have to console over to them while the computer fucks around with your main country, giving counties to idiots and cutting of its own head.

Seriously though, why do only Norse AI raid, from my experience at least? That needs to be fixed.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Deific Presence posted:

Seriously though, why do only Norse AI raid, from my experience at least? That needs to be fixed.

Boats. The AI never seems to take the tech for them or build them. On the other hand those Hindu vampires on my eastern border take hundreds every year because I'm not diverting two thousand troops from my eternal war in Persia to deal with them.
e: My son and his future wife both just got strong from the Zun Festival. Zunlife bestlife. Also I have quick and strong. Pretty sure I didn't at birth.

e2: easy come easy go

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why exactly are Zunists, people who worshiped a Hindu sun god, in the pagan group instead of the Indian group? Is it just to make sure they're shortlived and get crushed by the neighboring organized religions 9 out of 10 times?

• Locked thread