Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
This means Herman Cain has without doubt watched a full feature length anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

mooyashi posted:

This means Herman Cain has without doubt watched a full feature length anime

Was there ever a satisfying answer about the Cain Pokemon thing? Did like a staffer ever admit it was a giant practical joke or anything?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Nintendo really should have returned the favor and made him President in one of the new Pokemon games.

TEAYCHES posted:

compared to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW_nDFKAmCo

that was extremely good analysis

As in, not "this man tried to summon the creatures of the forest with a conch shell, and tried to control Hu Jintao with psychic powers" serious. If he didn't know it when he started, Cain had figured out he was a joke by the point of that video and was just riding the train wherever it took him. Carson doesn't strike me as being able to laugh at himself.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Three Olives posted:

Was there ever a satisfying answer about the Cain Pokemon thing? Did like a staffer ever admit it was a giant practical joke or anything?

no and i demand resolution

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

mooyashi posted:

Black people do love anime

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Nooooo that santorum video just went private, anyone have a copy of it?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I found it just by searching for Santorum charleston. There are mirrors up by now.

I want to see the video where she asked Ted Cruz a question now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Good Citizen posted:

I found it just by searching for Santorum charleston. There are mirrors up by now.

I want to see the video where she asked Ted Cruz a question now.

Ted Cruz would have engaged her more squarely.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Right Wing Watch has it up now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQEOreXIjMo

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Her question reminds me of a scene in the 1973 Burt Reynold's moonshine movie White Lightning

In it Ned Beatty plays a corrupt southern sheriff and rants about communists, hippies, and dictators and it was meant, I think, as a parody of that kind of person. Nice to see that it was fairly spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp_IWIouTQw

Start at 3:00

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a fun infographic of who the 2016 GOP crew follows on Twitter.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Rick Perry must be conducting some kind of serious scientific research on the subject of social media. How else do you explain his serious scientific eyewear? :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eight of them follow the Drudge report but only 2 follow the New York Times. I don't know why this surprises me, really.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

mooyashi posted:

Is this enough?

quote:

"I believe these words came from the Pokémon movie. I’m not sure who the original author is, so don’t go write an article about the poet, but it says a lot about where I am -- where I am with my wife and my family, and where we are as a nation," Cain said, according to the Huffington Post. "Life can be a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when there's so much on the line. But you and I can make a difference. There's a mission just for you and me."

Cain also admittted to GQ in a recent interview that he first heard the song during the Olympics and instantly sparked to it.

"I fell in love with this song, fell in love with how she sang the song and fell in love with the words," she said. "Committed it to memory. Now, why did I commit it to memory? Because one of the things that I did before I ran for president is I was a professional speaker. Not a motivational speaker -- an inspirational speaker. Motivation comes from within. You have to be inspired. That's what I do. I inspire people, I inspire the public, I inspire my staff. I inspired the organizations I took over to want to succeed."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/herman-cain-gop-presidential-candidate-pokemon-269471

I'm pretty sure in another interview he also said he was watching it with his grandkid.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Bicyclops posted:

Eight of them follow the Drudge report but only 2 follow the New York Times. I don't know why this surprises me, really.

None of them probably read or even manage their Twitter accounts. Who they follow has nothing to do with what they read and everything to do with being visibly active (if anyone checks) in the glorious and vibrant #tcot community.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Can't never count me out, y'all better count me in
Got twenty bank accounts, accountants count me in
Make millions every year (yeah) the South's champion (yeah)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Grey Fox posted:

Is this enough?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/herman-cain-gop-presidential-candidate-pokemon-269471

I'm pretty sure in another interview he also said he was watching it with his grandkid.
From that GQ interview.

quote:

Chris Heath: Completely different subject. I'm interested in this Donna Summer song that you quoted in the debates and you quoted in your book.

[In an August debate, in his closing statement, Cain quoted a favorite lyric sung by Donna Summer in "The Power of One," though he described her only as a "poet."—CH]

Herman Cain: I heard the song in a collage that NBC put together following the 2000 Olympics. And as it turns out, the song comes from the Pokémon movie, and I didn't know that.

Chris Heath: It's the theme of the movie.

Herman Cain: That's what I've been told. And so I fell in love with this song, fell in love with how she sang the song, and fell in love with the words. Committed it to memory. Now, why did I commit it to memory? Because one of the things that I did before I ran for president is I was a professional speaker. Not a motivational speaker—an inspirational speaker. Motivation comes from within. You have to be inspired. That's what I do. I inspire people, I inspire the public, I inspire my staff. I inspired the organizations I took over to want to succeed. I love the song: [almost singing] Life can be a challenge / Life can seem impossible / It's never easy, when there is so much on the line / But you can make a difference. [laughs]

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rand Paul went to SXSW and it was epic. He stood. He walked. He talked. He sat. There was a mock turtleneck. There were lens flares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Rv8BL0Qw8

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Rand Paul went to SXSW and it was epic. He stood. He walked. He talked. He sat. There was a mock turtleneck. There were lens flares.

~When pretentiousness worlds collide~

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
If Jeb doesn't lift off I think Rand Paul has an actual chance... of catching on.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

i bet there were plenty of great questions during that interview

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Speaking of inspirational: A garbage man was sentenced to 30 days in jail for taking out the trash too early in a private neighborhood, of which Herman Cain has residence. The garbage man's boss set his schedule:

http://fox17online.com/2015/03/09/garbage-man-to-spend-30-days-in-jail-for-picking-up-trash-too-early/

quote:

Kevin McGill started picking up trash around 5 a.m. and was cited for violating a city ordinance. The ordinance limits trash pick up to between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

McGill had only been working with the contractor for a few months when he was cited. When he showed up to court, the prosecutor sought the 30-day maximum punishment.

This was a privatized court. This is the town that has privatized almost every public service: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/business/a-georgia-town-takes-the-peoples-business-private.html?_r=1

quote:

Even the city’s court, which is in session on this May afternoon, next to the revenue division, is handled by a private company, the Jacobs Engineering Group of Pasadena, Calif. The company’s staff is in charge of all administrative work, though the judge, Lawrence Young, is essentially a legal temp, paid a flat rate of $100 an hour.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is that phone-faced shitter asking himself questions or is someone else cursed with hair that looks like someone glued macaroni on his scalp?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

joeburz posted:

"Here drink this water, I'm sure you'll have no problems since the EPA are just villains going after innocent Americans. Afterwards we'll see if it catches on fire."

I wish.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

:qq:

edit

joeburz posted:

:argh:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

pangstrom posted:

If Jeb doesn't lift off I think Rand Paul has an actual chance... of catching on.

Rand Paul is mentally ill and full of reprehensible, repugnant and just plain stupid beliefs along with being a habitual liar. He's is very much like Perry in the sense that as long as you have limited exposure to him he sounds like "common sense" conservative with the fake libertarian bent that is so popular these days but he will implode the second he is given enough time to talk to broad audience.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Thankfully he won't be talking to a broad audience until he's the Republican nominee.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Joementum posted:

Can't never count me out, y'all better count me in
Got twenty bank accounts, accountants count me in
Make millions every year (yeah) the South's champion (yeah)

Alert Bill O'Reilly.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

... until he's the Republican nominee.

God, don't I wish :allears:

I mean, heck, my parents are die-hard Ron Paul fanatics, and even they can't stand Rand.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mitt Romney posted:

Speaking of inspirational: A garbage man was sentenced to 30 days in jail for taking out the trash too early in a private neighborhood, of which Herman Cain has residence. The garbage man's boss set his schedule:

http://fox17online.com/2015/03/09/garbage-man-to-spend-30-days-in-jail-for-picking-up-trash-too-early/

This was a privatized court. This is the town that has privatized almost every public service: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/business/a-georgia-town-takes-the-peoples-business-private.html?_r=1

How in the God damned gently caress is this legal?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

Direct Democracy :patriot:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Three Olives posted:

Rand Paul is mentally ill and full of reprehensible, repugnant and just plain stupid beliefs along with being a habitual liar. He's is very much like Perry in the sense that as long as you have limited exposure to him he sounds like "common sense" conservative with the fake libertarian bent that is so popular these days but he will implode the second he is given enough time to talk to broad audience.
Totally agree but if Jeb doesn't catch on then the R nominee IS going to be a reprehensible, repugnant and just plain stupid liar. It's just a question of which one.

edit: I'd drop the "plain stupid" for a few of them, I guess.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 19, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sir Tonk posted:

Direct Democracy :patriot:

But god forbid we use that to change election laws. That would be unconstitutional and un-American! :911:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

God, don't I wish :allears:

I mean, heck, my parents are die-hard Ron Paul fanatics, and even they can't stand Rand.

Honestly Rand Paul just baffles me as a person, he some how managed to cobble together all the negative aspects of economic libertarianism and limited government with all the worst aspects of big government right wing authoritarianism. Even on the rare occasion he comes to the "right" answer he does it by the most mindbogglingly dumb logic possible and is instantly willing to take it to such a degree that give people inclined to agree with him pause, the guy would say gun ranges should be allowed to sell Labrador puppies for target practice if you pressed him.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

Seriously how long until they start chopping off hands?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Mitt Romney posted:

I hate America.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm certainly sure that prosecutor's "Fines don't work" mantra factors into to stuff that doesn't just gently caress over service workers.

Seriously I don't understand how that is legal at all. It sounds like something the state should be putting a kibosh on. What's stopping Reaganville from just making the stocks a punishment for maids failing to make the bed properly? I"m surprised more people are fleeing that sort of dystopia but I guess employment is in the shitter so you have to take what you can get.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Radish posted:

I'm certainly sure that prosecutor's "Fines don't work" mantra factors into to stuff that doesn't just gently caress over service workers.

Seriously I don't understand how that is legal at all. It sounds like something the state should be putting a kibosh on. What's stopping Reaganville from just making the stocks a punishment for maids failing to make the bed properly? I"m surprised more people are fleeing that sort of dystopia but I guess employment is in the shitter so you have to take what you can get.

He already got released and the charges were dropped. As far as dystopia goes, I can't find any horror stories other than that guy :shrug:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Series DD Funding posted:

He already got released and the charges were dropped. As far as dystopia goes, I can't find any horror stories other than that guy :shrug:

The article claims a guy got the same sentence the previous year for the same thing. Just knowing that showing up to my job collecting garbage early COULD get me thrown in the slammer for a month would make me think strongly about moving. Notice they don't go after the boss for sending him there in the first place and that says exactly how these guys tick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Radish posted:

The article claims a guy got the same sentence the previous year for the same thing. Just knowing that showing up to my job collecting garbage early COULD get me thrown in the slammer for a month would make me think strongly about moving. Notice they don't go after the boss for sending him there in the first place and that says exactly how these guys tick.

Neither the guy nor the employer said they ordered him to go out, and the company said they specifically train to not go out early. If there is a guilty boss there's no evidence for a particular person, and they noted the company's been fined many times in lieu of jailing the employees.

• Locked thread