Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

rockcity posted:

You need to be checking them on known temperatures, like ice water which should be reading 32 degrees and boiling water which should be 212. I wouldn't trust either of them until you test both of those.

That's the thing. After the first failure I did do a test of at least tap-water temp and boiling to make sure they matched and they were ok. But when the probe went into the water (and later the mash) it showed wildly inaccurate temperatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Did the digital probe get water inside it? I've lost a number of probes on BBQ thermometers that way.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Jo3sh posted:

Did the digital probe get water inside it? I've lost a number of probes on BBQ thermometers that way.

Possibly? I'm guessing if I don't know the answer to that there's something I don't know about digital probes? The metal prong was in the water, and there's a long wire from that to the readout that was not in the water. What part is not supposed to be in water? (Aside from the part with the display, give me a little bit of credit.)

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Section 9 posted:

What part is not supposed to be in water? (Aside from the part with the display, give me a little bit of credit.)

The part where the metal probe joins to the long wire. Very frequently, that looks like a watertight join, but isn't. The electronic thermometer I use for pre-warning on the temperature of my strike water is like that. I put a piece of heatshrink on the join, but I'm still careful to keep the join out of the water.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

mad.radhu posted:

Our stoppered bottles don't seem to be holding carbonation, is there a trick to these things?

Are you talking about swing tops? What exactly is going on?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Making a Cabernet IPA this weekend. What are your thoughts.

11 Lbs Pale Ale
1 Lb C40

1oz Columbus @50
1oz Perle @10
3oz Cascade @0

Ferment for 4 days, then add cab sauv soaked oak for the other 10
US05

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

11 Lbs Pale Ale
1 Lb C40

1oz Columbus @50
1oz Perle @10
3oz Cascade @0

US05

That sounds weird as hell. Is this a proven concept or are you just kinda nuts?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
That is weird and thrilling, please let us know how it is

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Not really as far off, as, say, Dogfish Head Sixty-One is. http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/sixty-one.htm

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

pugnax posted:

That sounds weird as hell. Is this a proven concept or are you just kinda nuts?

What crazyfish said. It's loosely based on 61. If it will work or not, who knows?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Are you talking about swing tops? What exactly is going on?

Yeah, swing tops. We put about half our last batch in them, and the ones we capped normally are carbonated nicely, whereas the swing tops are flat as hell. Any ideas?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

mad.radhu posted:

Yeah, swing tops. We put about half our last batch in them, and the ones we capped normally are carbonated nicely, whereas the swing tops are flat as hell. Any ideas?

Old gaskets?

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Yeah, I did 3 batches in swing tops before ditching them. Flat beer every batch.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Marshmallow Blue posted:

11 Lbs Pale Ale
1 Lb C40

1oz Columbus @50
1oz Perle @10
3oz Cascade @0

US05

Why are you using soaked oak instead of just straight up adding some wine to it? It's not like you'll get nay oak flavour in 10 days, will you?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

newtestleper posted:

Why are you using soaked oak instead of just straight up adding some wine to it? It's not like you'll get nay oak flavour in 10 days, will you?

I'll be adding the oak and the wine they've soaking in (4-6 oz). If the flavor isn't enough at bottling I'll add what's left of the bottle. I could also let it soak longer I guess.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

mad.radhu posted:

Check the gaskets, they sould be soft and rubbery, not hard and brittle. One of the problems we had initially when using swing tops was getting the right amount of head space. We'd end up with a lot of foam in the neck of the bottle and have to let it sit a bit before coming back and topping them off.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Considered Nelson Sauvin hops? They're apparently winey. White wine, but still.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

10 days is more than enough time to get oak flavor. Especially on something like an IPA

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Biomute posted:

Considered Nelson Sauvin hops? They're apparently winey. White wine, but still.

When I first read the recipe I thought about maybe doing the same thing but with Nelson Sauvin and chardonnay soaked oak chips. I could see that maybe working for a Saison too.

Edit: gently caress it, I think that has to happen.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 19, 2015

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

rockcity posted:

When I first read the recipe I thought about maybe doing the same thing but with Nelson Sauvin and chardonnay soaked oak chips. I could see that maybe working for a Saison too.

Edit: gently caress it, I think that has to happen.

That sounds good with something like straight Vienna and a French saison yeast for a little zesty peppery character.

If I didn't just order the stuff for 4 beers I'd do it...

I dunno if I'd use cascade with the other one, that could be really weird. Or really amazing.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Der Penguingott posted:

That sounds good with something like straight Vienna and a French saison yeast for a little zesty peppery character.

If I didn't just order the stuff for 4 beers I'd do it...

I dunno if I'd use cascade with the other one, that could be really weird. Or really amazing.

Well the cab sauv that i have is pretty fruity so i figured to give it a shot with fruity cascade hops

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I kept reading that as Cabaret IPA, which conjured up totally different images

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

BLARGHLE posted:

I kept reading that as Cabaret IPA, which conjured up totally different images

Now this is all I'm thinking about.

I'm movin' on up to the big leagues. Got a bigger kettle, keg and co2 tank on sale because bottling is not that great. Just need a fridge and life will be swell.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

No_talent posted:

Now this is all I'm thinking about.

I'm movin' on up to the big leagues. Got a bigger kettle, keg and co2 tank on sale because bottling is not that great. Just need a fridge and life will be swell.

Welcome to the club! Kegging is better than bottling in pretty much every way. The only downside is that it's harder to transport if you want to gift some of your beer.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Im thinking about getting a party pig for fathers day since I dont have room for a kegorator

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 20, 2015

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seph posted:

Welcome to the club! Kegging is better than bottling in pretty much every way. The only downside is that it's harder to transport if you want to gift some of your beer.

Not if you have a kitchen cabinet completely full of growlers...

<_<

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
I built a ghetto counter pressure filler from these directions: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

It really works well for filling up a few bottles for gifts. It would be a pain in the rear end to do more than 6 or 8 though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Economic Sinkhole posted:

I built a ghetto counter pressure filler from these directions: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

It really works well for filling up a few bottles for gifts. It would be a pain in the rear end to do more than 6 or 8 though.

I made an even less sophisticated version of that. It's just an adapter that goes into my perlick tap that runs about 6 inches of tubing to a normal bottle filler that I've put one of those stoppers around. Works fine for me. I also chill the bottles before filling which helps a lot.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

mad.radhu posted:

replace the gaskets, I used big 750mL swingtops for ages - they work great when in good repair

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I'll be adding the oak and the wine they've soaking in (4-6 oz). If the flavor isn't enough at bottling I'll add what's left of the bottle. I could also let it soak longer I guess.

Personal opinion I would no chill and throw the oak chips in the fermenter, you'll get that character out quicker that way. My smoked imperial stout was put on bourbon soaked oak chips straight outta the boil kettle into the fermenter and it is tasting ridiculously good. Nowhere near drinkable at the moment and boozy as hell but very nice still

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So I'm making NB's SMASH extract recipe, just transferred to secondary and dry hopped today. When I popped open the fermentor to rack it over, it's got a sticky porous white mass, maybe an inch thick floating on top, which I don't think I've seen anything quite like before (this is maybe my eighth batch now?). In retrospect, I should've grabbed a picture, but oh well. I sort of part the waters as it were, slip my autosiphon down in and rack it over, being super careful not to suck up yeast cake, hop matter and strange white mass. As I'm siphoning, it looks pretty opaque for what I'm used to going into secondary, but whatever, I dry hop and seal it up. Now it's like 6 hours later and the thing still looks thicker and more opaque than orange juice with pulp. Is there anything I should be worried about based on the above, will this settle out more over time, or is this just normal and my other batches were strangely clear?

For what it's worth, I racked off a sample to measure gravity with a hydrometer and tasted it, didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary at this point except maybe a mild banana & clove profile which I wouldn't normally associate with this style. I pitched Wyeast American Ale II when the wort was at 72F according to my notes, ambient temperature during fermentation has stayed between 63 and 65.5F, and the beer read at 63.5F when I popped it open today to rack & dry hop.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I hate to be that guy but what are the chances my heady topper clone is infected?

I hope it's just me being paranoid because I forgot to add the brown sugar at the end of the boil and dumped it in while the wort was chilling. On the positive side of things the sample tasted okay, hoppy and kinda hot with alcohol. It's been in the fermenter about 13 days.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If it tastes okay it is probably not infected.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

adebisi lives posted:

I hate to be that guy but what are the chances my heady topper clone is infected?

I hope it's just me being paranoid because I forgot to add the brown sugar at the end of the boil and dumped it in while the wort was chilling. On the positive side of things the sample tasted okay, hoppy and kinda hot with alcohol. It's been in the fermenter about 13 days.

What yeast did you use in this? I know mine finished fermenting in 8 including dry hop at 1.020. Finished around 1.012. The benefit with this style is that it takes a major infection to taste the infection lol

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
So if I pitched when the wort was too cool, and fermentation hasn't really kicked off in 5 days, do I pitch more yeast? Feed it some nutrient? Warm it up? It's in my basement right at the low end of the yeasts temperature range.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

McSpergin posted:

What yeast did you use in this? I know mine finished fermenting in 8 including dry hop at 1.020. Finished around 1.012. The benefit with this style is that it takes a major infection to taste the infection lol

The yeast bay's vermont ale yeast. The starting gravity was around 1080 so the abv should be around 8.1%. Between the amount of hop juice and alcohol in this thing you think it would be inhospitable to any other form of life so eh hopefully it will be fine.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Id warm i

pugnax posted:

So if I pitched when the wort was too cool, and fermentation hasn't really kicked off in 5 days, do I pitch more yeast? Feed it some nutrient? Warm it up? It's in my basement right at the low end of the yeasts temperature range.

id warm it to the middle to middle upper range of the yeast first.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I switched my fermentation chamber over from heating to cooling to cold crash a milk stout I made, but forgot to unplug my heat rope and plug in my freezer so it was constantly hearing from Thursday night to this morning. My freezer was sitting at 123*. The moral of the story is if you're doing things after a 16 hour workday you should probably double check everything.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Oh poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
First brew day is (almost) complete. Everything went off without a hitch, so now I'm just praying for no infection. I was sanitizing like crazy...

A question though, the icebath I used was a little TOO effective and I'm now sitting at 64ºf... I've already transferred it to my fermenter and closed it up, but I haven't pitched the yeast yet. Do I just wait around for it to warm up to 70ºf?